Music we're Tired of Hearing | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Music we're Tired of Hearing

freeman21

On the Ice
The amount of Despacitos I heard this weekend during the dancing competition (Cup of China) should last me for an year :palmf:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ne Me Quitte Pas
Je Suis Malade
Feeling Good

You wouldn't believe how many of the first two songs were being used (inappropriately) in the JUNIOR Grand Prix.

And by the end of this season, after all the SDs, any LATIN music is going to set my teeth on edge.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
All of the Turandots annoy me this year because they are so inferior to the Shen/Zhao, Shizuka Arakawa, and Jason Brown performances. Shoma's Turandot in 2016 was okay, but with his heavy heavy focus on the quads this year, the program has really broken down into something significantly less graceful and expressive.

The spiral sequence Shizuka Arakawa did in her Olympic Turnadot forever ruins that section of music for anyone who tries to do it. Nobody will EVER be that majestic again, at least not until somebody trains a spiral sequence with as much emphasis and skill as the Ladies put into it back then.

So true, that cut of music is pure Shizuka for me.
I wouldn’t mind seeing someone take on Pavarotti’s Nessum Dorma, even though I have no idea who would be “strong” enough to do that music justice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So true, that cut of music is pure Shizuka for me.
I wouldn’t mind seeing someone take on Pavarotti’s Nessum Dorma, even though I have no idea who would be “strong” enough to do that music justice.

Max Aaron used it for his SP for several seasons. :slink:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I wouldn’t mind seeing someone take on Pavarotti’s Nessum Dorma, even though I have no idea who would be “strong” enough to do that music justice.

Max Aaron used it for his SP for several seasons. :slink:

To be more precise:

Max Aaron used Nessum Dorma for not quite two seasons.

The full season of 2015-16 + most (but not all) of the 2016-17 season.
He did not use Nessun Dorma at 2017 Nats.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
but Max used it before, in replacement of footlose if wiki is correct.

Thx for the reminder.

Max used Nessun Dorma for one and only one competition (WTT) in the 2014-15 season.

He used it for the full 2015-16 season.

He used it for all but one competition (Nats) in the 2016-17 season.

Adding up to the equivalent of two seasons' worth of usage, I would say.

"Several" seasons still is misleading, IMO.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Tango de Roxanne. I turn the channel immediately when I hear it. Too bad Tessa and Scott are using it for their skate this year. In general, I'm just sick and tired of war horse music.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So very much over Nessun Dorma/Turandot. It's hard to get excited about that music when it's been done to death so many times, and it's not like there's a particularly innovative interpretation being done (like V/M's Carmen).

Waltz Masquerade

TOTALLY agree. The issue with this one is the music is just so repetitive and not very interesting. It makes me just weary listening to it. I can't imagine what it's like practicing to it...

tureis

On the Ice
What I'm most sick and tired of is hearing "classicized" adaptations of anything with some vitality in them. The violin versions of POTO or the piano versions of Queen songs, etc. Ugh...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I'm most sick and tired of is hearing "classicized" adaptations of anything with some vitality in them. The violin versions of POTO or the piano versions of Queen songs, etc. Ugh...

to me it's the opposite... i hate classical music butchered either by adding stuff to them... or with awful music cuts.

tureis

On the Ice
to me it's the opposite... i hate classical music butchered either by adding stuff to them... or with awful music cuts.

They are not mutually exclusive, I hate those too, but perhaps modernized classical music is a bit less common these days?

NAOTMAA

Medalist

who was it that did the techno Swan Lake a few years back? I don't remember who it was but I remember everybody going crazy in love with it when all I could think was, "poor Tchaikovsky :cry: WHY!"

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I just looked it up and it was Daisuke Takahashi. And it was hip hop.......even worse :bang:

but I think there was a techno version but another skater too.

In terms of making modern songs sound "classical" I really liked the violin version of "Like a Prayer" that Jonnie Rochette did for a SP but I was probably in the minority for that :slink:

viennaskater

Medalist
While I do occasionally get somewhat annoyed if the same music cut keeps cropping up, here's my answer to the initial question:

La strada.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can get rid of it :biggrin:

I am so sick to death of that piece - at Nebelhorn there were TWO guys who used it in the free and by the second one I just totally tuned out and read something to take my mind off it.

Nika09

On the Ice
I think i can't endure Turandot anymore. And SwanLake. Which are beautiful masterpieces, but was beaten to death by skaters.
And we have at least two OGM candidates with Turandot and few medal pretenders with SwanLake. So I afraid even imagine how many of each we will have next time. Vicious Circle.

Kara

Final Flight
I hate La Strada; doesn't matter who does it, I hate the sound of the horns in the beginning and it's sooo boring. Rika, why.:cry: Also hate lame covers of any great rock song. Why, not just jam out to the glorious original? I felt so sad every time I heard a bad one in the JGP. I'm in a Turandot overload this season and almost all with cuts that I'm not particularly fond of.:handw:
So much good music in the world, but FS keeping up its image as some old recycling bin with its music...I think I would automatically stan the next skater who skates to some movie (no, not you MR :palmf:) soundtrack or better yet, a banger from a video game. I'm begging people here.

"Take me to church" is also not allowed to be skated by anyone ever now that the clad in all denim Sihyeong Lee has made his mark with it, kkthx.:roll5:

viennaskater

Medalist
"Take me to church" is also not allowed to be skated by anyone ever now that the clad in all denim Sihyeong Lee has made his mark with it, kkthx.:roll5:

Oh I LOVED that when Kayne and O'Shea did a pairs SP to it!