Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL)

Country
Norway
Also, I think the EC spot for Norway is pretty much decided now and Mia will get it. It´s between her, Linnea and Frida who have the minimums. It´s the two best scores from the seasons competitions that decide who gets the spot. Linnea still only has one competition, but Mia lowest score this season already bet Linneas recent score, and if you count in Linneas best score from last season (not sure they count), Mia has already beaten them with her best scores. Frida is nowhere near either. They will all go to Santa Claus Cup so the fight between them will be interesting, but even if Linnea beats Mia in Budapest, she needs a very big score to pass Mias result. They might also go to a domestic competition before EC, the scores there count towards best scores as well. I think Nationals will be after they made the selection.

Recent scores:

Mia Caroline Risa Gomez

149,57 (55,20 + 94,37) Open D ´ Andorra
156,51 (51,25 + 105,26) Denkova-Staviski Cup
153,31 (49,23 + 104,08) NC 3
(J) 138,43 (50,72 + 87,71) JGP Gdańsk

Linnea Kilsand

128,43 (46.02 + 82.41) Ice Challenge 2022

Frida Berge

103.10 (29.78 + 73,32) Ice Challenge 2022
123,38 (43,35 + 80,03) Budapest Trophy 2022
127,19 (44,68 + 82,51) NC 1

Country
Norway
After her bronze in Warsaw today Janna has clear lead in scores for spot to EC, though she did not have clean SP today. But she is getting better PCS also and nobody in seniors is able to compete with her by same technical content,. There are no more many competitions left, so the others need to skate clean or almost clean and get good PCS twice if they want to pass her, and Janna also has at least nationals and I noticed also NRW Trophy next weekend. Jenni and Emmi have GP next weekend, then there is nationals and I found out Emmi is booked to Santa Claus Club and Zagreb. I doubt if she really will go to all those, otherwise there would one competition in week four weeks in row. But GP and nationals are the ones I think she will take part in. Janna is booked to NRW trophy next weekend, so also she has one international and nationals. I still stay behind my words I don't care so much who gets spot, because by skating clean anybody is able to get to top10.

I am little bit confused as I have never been biggest fan of very young skaters and now I can say (technically) best skater in Finland is 15 yo, and I like her. And Janna's teammate Iida in juniors is about at the same level as Janna, but as she is 14, there are still two years before she gets to seniors because of the raising age demands. There have been some skaters who have been at their best at young age, but they have retired at young age. Usually Finns have been late bloomers compared to many other feds. I hope Janna can have long career and stays healthy.
Oh it will for sure be interesting if Janna will get the EC spot. From the looks of it we will have a couple of Nordic debuts in EC this year, Mia Caroline for Norway, most likely Andreas for Sweden and then Janna for Finland (I don´t remember if Finland has two spots).

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh it will for sure be interesting if Janna will get the EC spot. From the looks of it we will have a couple of Nordic debuts in EC this year, Mia Caroline for Norway, most likely Andreas for Sweden and then Janna for Finland (I don´t remember if Finland has two spots).
No, only one spot for Finland as Jenni was 24th last year, and Oona did not even make it to the free. Oona had today her best FS this season, we didn't see it and I have not find it, but from protocols I saw some errors. There are also more who have minimums, but as they count two best, there are not many skaters on the list. And as I have written before, the other comp must be CS or GP, so for example Olivia Lisko is not on the list. I have no idea why she has not got any CS spots, but she has the minimums from last season. Emmi and Jenni are not yet on the list, but both have competed only once this season. Linnea Ceder is second after Janna right now, but the same for her, she needs to skate clean twice if she wants the spot. Also Nella Pelkonen is on the list, but I doubt she can get good enough scores any more.

Country
Norway
After the competition this weekend Janna is also now the best Finnish lady on the WS-list. She is now up to 59, Emmi is now the second best on place 64.

I see Janna is doing NRW Trophy this weekend and looking at the entries list, I would expect her to podium. This competition also have enough skaters to give WS, so I would think she will climb more on the WS-list after this weekend.

I don´t remember the requirements for getting WS at GP? Is it top 5 or top 10? Anyways, the lower you place the less points you get?

Last edited:

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
After the competition this weekend Janna is also now the best Finnish lady on the WS-list. She is now up to 59, Emmi is now the second best on place 64.

I see Janna is doing NRW Trophy this weekend and looking at the entries list, I would expect her to podium. This competition also have enough skaters to give WS, so I would think she will climb more on the WS-list after this weekend.

I don´t remember the requirements for getting WS at GP? Is it top 5 or top 10? Anyways, the lower you place the less points you get?

Top 8 get points in the Grand Prix. You only get points for two international competitions outside of Championship and GP events, and she already has points for 2 - 250 + 243. If she wins, she'll gain a handful of points, but that's about it.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I "stole" this link from 2022-23 Grand Prix assignments thread.

ISU World Standings and Season's World Ranking Wikipedia article

There is a table about scores. As Emmi, Jenni and Linnea have now GP spot they are able to get scores if some of them places in top 8. But in in the light of statistics they placements would rather be 9-12, but this season has shown anything can happen. Linnea's technical content is more difficult than Jenni's or Emmi's, so I would bet on her to be the best Finn, is she can skate clean.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Is it already in another threads, but hear too that Janna will replace Emmi. Emmi has had covid and it was also the reason why she withdraw from Warsaw according to in Emmi's instagram.

Country
Norway
Is it already in another threads, but hear too that Janna will replace Emmi. Emmi has had covid and it was also the reason why she withdraw from Warsaw according to in Emmi's instagram.
Poor Emmi, she had a rough couple of seasons, so sad she had to get covid now that she is getting back on track after her injury and surgery :(

All though, I´m happy Janna got the spot, she was surely the first on the alternate list.

Country
Norway
I´m a bit confused, her IG-post from 2 days ago said this: "I unfortunately catched Covid and couldn´t make it to Warsaw last week but finally feeling healthy and excited to get back to competing this week". So she was planning to do GP 2 days ago, but maybe she got worse again or didn´t feel fully recovered after all. Covid can be really hard on your body :(

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m a bit confused, her IG-post from 2 days ago said this: "I unfortunately catched Covid and couldn´t make it to Warsaw last week but finally feeling healthy and excited to get back to competing this week". So she was planning to do GP 2 days ago, but maybe she got worse again or didn´t feel fully recovered after all. Covid can be really hard on your body :(
I had it in the beginning of October (I wrote in some competition topic my husband had it and soon after that I got it myself) and it went just so. I felt very good one day and next morning awful. I think she was optimistic because of this opportunity and really felt better, but when you go and train, the feelings maybe not good. I went only for a small walk soon when I felt better, and it was not good idea at all. I can imagine if skaters go to train too soon the bad feeling may come back. Or opportunity 2: She has given positive test and fed does not allow her to skate. The test may give positive result quite long after the symptoms have disappeared :(.

Country
Norway
I had it in the beginning of October (I wrote in some competition topic my husband had it and soon after that I got it myself) and it went just so. I felt very good one day and next morning awful. I think she was optimistic because of this opportunity and really felt better, but when you go and train, the feelings maybe not good. I went only for a small walk soon when I felt better, and it was not good idea at all. I can imagine if skaters go to train too soon the bad feeling may come back. Or opportunity 2: She has given positive test and fed does not allow her to skate. The test may give positive result quite long after the symptoms have disappeared :(.
I hope you feel better again soon!! Yes, skating is really a demanding sport so it´s very possible she got a very sudden set back. I hope it´s not a positive test situation. Maybe Emmi will clear it all out with a new post soon if she wants.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope you feel better again soon!! Yes, skating is really a demanding sport so it´s very possible she got a very sudden set back. I hope it´s not a positive test situation. Maybe Emmi will clear it all out with a new post soon if she wants.
Yes, I am now all right, it was already 6 weeks ago - when Finlandia Trophy was so happy I didn't bought tickets to it because I couldn't have been able to go. Emmi herself have not posted anything about it and the fed's article is concise, so no idea if it is due to positive test or or due to her feelings.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have made it to home and have been glancing how Finns have done in Tallinn and Dortmund. Jan Ollikainen has lost to Makar Suntsev only by 2 points, but has got better TES than Makar at NRW. He has earlier got TES in short to Europeans and reached them now in FS. The spot is probably doctor's, but a couple of substitutes is always good to be. Nationals in men will be interesting this year. Medals are not delivered at all. Gold goes to VV, if he doesn't make many or big mistakes, but the next there are junior Lindfors, this Jan who I knew earlier only by name, Makar and Arttu J who are fighting about silver and bronze. I hope this situation raises the quality of Finnish men.

To GP: I didn't realize earlier before I watched the gala from TV and Mark mentioned it: Janna got the highest TES in jumps of all ladies at Espoo. I think this was good situation for Jenni to decide to retire. She realized there are many young skaters with higher technical quality. They seem not to have been at their best in Dortmund and Tallinn this time.

Edit: I corrected this after finding out Jan Ollikainen had got SP TES for Euro's already earlier this season at Volvo open Cup.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Aren't you proud of Valtter @TT_Fin? I have great respect for him in managing to improve both his jumping and skating at such a mature age. He is such a joy to watch. And it was good to see him make fun of the age issue in the gala.
Indeed, yes. I am happy also so many other people than Finns appreciate his skating without quads. Last season I thought maybe he should give room for younger skaters, but now I have changed my mind. Young skaters have years ahead of them. He came to this season by clean skates and is really wonderful to watch when he lands the jumps clean. I hope he gets the FS TES for worlds. He has given up trying quad, but has started to practice 3A. If he can land it and do other things clean, he should get those scores. He is also a good role model.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

There is still that mistake to Universiades list having high school students and skaters who does not study at university level. I read an article about Linnea, she is student, but the school is not university. This is first season this mistake is on the list, so maybe the person who makes the list does not understand the demands.

They haven't put Jan Ollikainen, who has both TES for Euros to list, because he has not skated at CS or GP series. But he may get 2nd substitute spot. I skaters stay healthy, the spots will more likely to go to Valtter in men, Janna in women and of course Juulia/Matthias in ID. Only Emmi has capacity to go ahead of Janna, but she needs to skate clean in both Zagreb and nationals - but if Janna skates her both programs clean at nats, she can also get still better scores, maybe 180+. Emmi is not on the list, because she still has competed only once this season. I cannot think anybody else than Emmi could challenge Janna any more. They have had enough opportunities. They would need about 200+ points at nats, but nobody's technical content is enough to that. In men Makar was at his best at the beginning of the season, but hasn't been at that condition any more. I suppose Jan will get it to national team next season and good for him, it means better opportunities and more international comps.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So we have very good view to Sweden, Norway and Finland. I checked, Maia Sorensen, DEN in women (Sorry my keyboard refuses to spell her name correct even altgr-o should work) has EC minimums. After Aldis Kara retired, I supppose there is nobody who could reach them from Iceland in women. Other disciplines form Iceland or Denmark: Nobody. Please correct if I am wrong. Is there anybody who could be even close but has not competed internationally yet? Euros will be there too soon, but what about other competitions? Iceland is so small country, so it is limited amount how many people are interested in skating, but I would hope Denmark could have some more figure skaters.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I saw a competition last weekend (on stream) in Hungary (Santa Claus cup) where a Norwegian Dance Couple managed to get the minimum TES for the FD - Maria Bjorkli and James Koszuta. They had a great FD yesterday! I understand they already have both minimums for Euros. Please correct me if I am wrong @norwegianfairytale!

Country
Norway
I saw a competition last weekend (on stream) in Hungary (Santa Claus cup) where a Norwegian Dance Couple managed to get the minimum TES for the FD - Maria Bjorkli and James Koszuta. They had a great FD yesterday! I understand they already have both minimums for Euros. Please correct me if I am wrong @norwegianfairytale!
Yes they got both the EC minimums this weekend :biggrin: This is their first international competition, so they didn´t have it before. They also got TES for Worlds in the FD, but missed the TES in the SP with less than 3 points, but plenty for Euros :biggrin:

I´m expecting the association will send them to EC, they are the only ice dance couple, Norway actually never had Ice Dancers compete in a championship before, so this will be a historic moment when they compete at EC.

(Norway did however have pairs team until the 1960s).

As i briefly mentioned in the Santa Claus Cup, Norway had an Ice Dance team for a short period of time around 2015, it was actually Tim Koleto who skated with former single skater Thea Rabe. They also got the EC minimum in their only international competition that fall, and got the EC spot, but shortly before EC (I think it was during Christmas) they broke off the partnership and the EC spot wasn´t used. I checked their result, and they scored 107.80 in 2015. Maria and James scored 136 points and over 50 points in the SP. I know Koleto&Raabes score was in the +3 Era, but surely the new couple had a much better result, so I see no reason why Maria and James won´t be sent to EC when the previous couple did with a much lower score. They could have changed the requirements since then, but it would be really odd if this isn´t good enough.

Maria and James had a rough start with covid having them apart for many months and difficulties with funding. They train in the US, but Maria couldn´t be there in 2020 because of closed borders. Since they hadn´t competed, the skating union hadn´t given them any money for competitions. That is why they have done so little competitions I guess, I´m not sure, but they might have covered the expenses for Santa Claus Cup mostly by themselves. They did actually start a fundraiser this spring to get help with the cost of the skating, so money have clearly been an issue for them. I´m glad they didn´t give up with all the struggles.

So it was really nice to see how well they skated, and that they have results now to help them get competitions like EC covered. I´m guessing with this results, they should get international competitions after Christmas as well. They might have to do Nationals in January as well to get more funding from the skating union, i´m not sure if they are going back to US now or if they will stick in Norway and train here until EC is done.

Another thing I want to mention, is that Maria was a former single skater, but she had to quit due to heart related issues. She is born with a rare heart disease, and she had two heart surgeries in the last couple of years and she actually has a pacemaker. So with that in mind, it´s incredible how well they did.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
So we have very good view to Sweden, Norway and Finland. I checked, Maia Sorensen, DEN in women (Sorry my keyboard refuses to spell her name correct even altgr-o should work) has EC minimums. After Aldis Kara retired, I supppose there is nobody who could reach them from Iceland in women. Other disciplines form Iceland or Denmark: Nobody. Please correct if I am wrong. Is there anybody who could be even close but has not competed internationally yet? Euros will be there too soon, but what about other competitions? Iceland is so small country, so it is limited amount how many people are interested in skating, but I would hope Denmark could have some more figure skaters.
I expect Maia Sørensen to go to EC, she currently won the Danish Championship as expected. I was briefly checking the entries for it last week, and I was surprised to see how few entries they had in most disciplines. Only exception was in junior ladies.

I see Denmark now has an Ice Dance couple who competed this weekend at the Danish Championship, it´s a former Italian skater named Elisabetta Incardona who is pared with Rafael Marc Drodz Musil. Rafael seems to have done Ice Dance back in 2019 with another partner, but never internationally. I guess this was the new teams first competition, and I don´t know if they are doing anything in time to get EC minimums? In the Danish Championship their TES score would have been enough for Euros, but not the FD TES...

Nikolaj Mølgaard Pedersen competed in senior men and scored 120 points, I remember him, but he doesn´t have EC minimum either :( From the looks of it, he hasn´t been competing internationally since Nordics, so he did not have many oppurtunities.

Yes for Iceland I don´t see there is any senior ladies representing Iceland in Championships this season. I think Julia Rós is still competing in juniors.

Last edited: