Pang/ Tong changed SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pang/ Tong changed SP

Alba

Record Breaker
I am afraid they will be skating to this music, with vocals. They said it will be with vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTl-Ovz04o
Not sure which secret garden is it?

Okay! So 2 cheesy programs, then. :slink: Cheesy for chessy I would've preferred this one, from Secret Garden without lyrics, Lament for a Frozen Flower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld93871WHx8

It's not about Korean lyrics. I hate Bocelli even more. :hopelessness:
I loved them but now I think I'm officially missing Yu/Jin.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Hey, we haven't seen the actual program yet. The choreography and performance means more than the music... right?

I didn't like their Tango either, and I doubt Morozov has done wonders since then. I don't like both their programs tbh. Bocelli is even more unbearable and I disagree with you about the music. It's very important. Take Ruslena, for example, the same FD choreo (which I don't like by the way) but with a different music the program would look 10 times better. ;) Although with Ruslena the main problem I have with the music is "Antony And Cleopatra" section by Ferrante & Teicher. :slink:

As for P&T performance I know very well in advance that it will be great. They are top when it comes to performance/intepretation. That's why I was expecting much more.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I didn't like their Tango either, and I doubt Morozov has done wonders since then. I don't like both their programs tbh. Bocelli is even more unbearable and I disagree with you about the music. It's very important. Take Ruslena, for example, the same FD choreo (which I don't like by the way) but with a different music the program would look 10 times better. ;) Although with Ruslena the main problem I have with the music is "Antony And Cleopatra" section by Ferrante & Teicher. :slink:

As for P&T performance I know very well in advance that it will be great. They are top when it comes to performance/intepretation. That's why I was expecting much more.
Perhaps you're a more auditory person, and I'm more visual? I tend to be open about music choices, unless it's something nails-on-the-chalkboard that rubs me the wrong way on a fundamental level (it's happened twice this year, due to the lyrics rule, but P/T music is far from anything that can make me cringe... though I'll have to see it on a program to be sure).

I object more to poor choreography choices: music cuts in the middle of a spin, big crescendos with nothing happening, huge tricks stacked up in the beginning while the music doesn't get dramatic until the end, ect.

I enjoy P/T's LP because it has strong choreographic moments--the floating away spiral, in particular, I'll probably remember for a long time. SP with lyrics too is a little much, but I'll reserve judgement 'til I see the program.

As for Ruslena, in that case I kinda agree: the music itself is a bigger problem than the choreography. However, I don't mind the program, per se, since there's nothing majorly wrong with the choreography. (With repeated watches though, I'm starting to think it's a much weaker program than I initially believed, especially without the split-drama factor).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Now their choice is a little more puzzling since they had the chance to skate to this instrumental version, and I like this original piece more. I wish they could skate to their Pearl Fisher SP. That was my all time fav.

Okay! So 2 cheesy programs, then. :slink: Cheesy for chessy I would've preferred this one, from Secret Garden without lyrics, Lament for a Frozen Flower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld93871WHx8

It's not about Korean lyrics. I hate Bocelli even more. :hopelessness:
I loved them but now I think I'm officially missing Yu/Jin.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Perhaps you're a more auditory person, and I'm more visual? I tend to be open about music choices, unless it's something nails-on-the-chalkboard that rubs me the wrong way on a fundamental level (it's happened twice this year, due to the lyrics rule, but P/T music is far from anything that can make me cringe... though I'll have to see it on a program to be sure).

I object more to poor choreography choices: music cuts in the middle of a spin, big crescendos with nothing happening, huge tricks stacked up in the beginning while the music doesn't get dramatic until the end, ect.

:clap:

I'm the same. Even if a skater uses my most despised music, I can handle it if the program itself is well-crafted. And then of course there are skaters who choose music I adore, but imo fail to deliver on :bang:

yqs100

On the Ice
Now their choice is a little more puzzling since they had the chance to skate to this instrumental version, and I like this original piece more. I wish they could skate to their Pearl Fisher SP. That was my all time fav.

Looks like the new sp is an upgraded version of Pearl Fisher,,,, at least from the first 60 sec

Alba

Record Breaker

I'm a musician so maybe I do care about music a lot. However, dance does not necessary require music. Movements can be expressed in silence or with a simple and abstract sound design, therefore I'm open about music choices when it comes to dance, and FS in this case.
I must confess, I’m not a fan of cheesy music/songs in general. Although cheesy and bad are two separate things and there are many which I really like myself. ;) It's what is called the "guilty pleasure", I presume. ABBA anyone?:biggrin:. But I guess it depends a lot on the intention. Too much cheese can be a bit nauseating. I think the best definition for this is made by Urban Dictonary: “Celine Dion is cheesy because her lyrics, timbre, key changes, and swelling orchestral accompaniment telegraph "I want you to be moved" instead of "moving you” and that’s exactly what I hate about it. My take on the music in dance or FS is that I don't have to like the music per se, as long as it suits the choreography and the concept because in the art of choreography music can inspire and often defines the choreography (the initial inspiration for choreography is often musical, for example). Have a look to this dance, "Caravaggio": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I8NDUIA_14 choreography of Mauro Bigonzetti, music "Prayer Of The Heart" by Bjork. Now it's not that I like this kind of music tbh, but in this case it's fantastic. It works perfectly because to me it looks like they are expressing the music through movements and design, rather than dancing to the music.

Anyway, this is rather subjective issue because when people are looking for a music they are either looking for music that will inspire movements, or for music whose inspiration complements the movement and the concept that they already imagine, or have, which I suspect is the case with P&T. They have to feel and love it. I presume they do, so I hope the choice it’s an honest expression of their own vision. That’s the most important thing in the end.

And then of course there are skaters who choose music I adore, but imo fail to deliver on :bang:

Absolutely true. :thumbsup: There are many indeed, IMO.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
@Alba - I don't think in terms of "cheesy" - but I can see what you mean about Celine Dion. Not that I know many of her songs, but the Titanic song about how her heart will go on is just "Blech!" for me. On the other hand, I did come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bVv8WB6bc&feature=related

I did not feel the same about it - of course it could it could be that it's because the video is made about one of my favourite romances in one of my favourite shows ever (which is where I came across it, and that's why I'm linking to that video.) But, honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy the heart goes on thing even in those circumstances. :)

Note - Sorry for being so OT!

Alba

Record Breaker
@Alba - I don't think in terms of "cheesy" - but I can see what you mean about Celine Dion. Not that I know many of her songs, but the Titanic song about how her heart will go on is just "Blech!" for me. On the other hand, I did come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bVv8WB6bc&feature=related

I did not feel the same about it - of course it could it could be that it's because the video is made about one of my favourite romances in one of my favourite shows ever (which is where I came across it, and that's why I'm linking to that video.) But, honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy the heart goes on thing even in those circumstances. :)

Note - Sorry for being so OT!

No you are right, but I have noticed that her songs in French have a different effect on me than the english ones. Might be the language. I swear that before clicking your link I thought "I bet is one of her french songs". :biggrin:

Anyway, I took her as an example because it was in the Urban Dictionary, in order to express what I mean between the "bad cheesy" music vs a "good" one.
It could've been Mariah Carey for example.

A bit OT, I know, but to make my case, this italian song is one of the most beautiful songs about love, if not THE song about love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiPbrZwXfbU (with english lyrics translated)
Battiato's got an amazing voice, but above all the lyrics are simply gorgeous and not even once he mention the word "love". He doesn't need to, if you know what I mean. :)

Interesing enough, the same song remade in english doesn't sound the same to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfupEOX50IY

Not a bad remake, but no way near the original. I don't know if it's the voice, the way of singing or the language.

This is the french version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMpjYkWTxJY

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
No, the English version doesn't work as well for me either - and I don't understand Italian; but hearing it in Italian, and reading the translation worked far better. I think the flow of the language is lost - and it comes across as more... contrived, somehow?

And apropos the previous discussion about lyrics - I do feel this does tie into that - I'm quite sensitive to those as well. That's why I prefer instrumental only. It's not that I hate every case of lyrics used - but that they can easily ruin something that I might have merely been indifferent to, or even liked. otherwise.

Alba

Record Breaker
That's why I prefer instrumental only. It's not that I hate every case of lyrics used - but that they can easily ruin something that I might have merely been indifferent to, or even liked. otherwise.

The same for me. Furthermore, sometimes I feel like the lyrics take away something from the dance, the choreography. It's like they have to explain the movements, or direct you through the dance. It's almost as if you are using kind of subtitles, while I prefer to let my impression, my feelings and imagination based on the movements, interpretation and the music do the job.
There are some cases where the lyrics works very well. Musicals maybe are a good example, but they are few and in any case I prefer them to be used in some parts of the programs.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The truth is, I'm all about the big diva ballads. I like the high notes, the swelling orchestra, the emphasis on a slow-tempo melody. I can enjoy a catchy uptempo song too, but I tend to get tired of them pretty quickly. The ballads stay (or at least stay longer). If other people can admit their love for rap or metal, I don't see why this should be considered a guilty pleasure.

That being said, what I like listening to and what makes a good skating program are completely different things. I hardly ever listen to instrumental music, but that's what I prefer in competitive programs. I have nothing against the Beatles, but I muted Samarin's LP, because I just couldn't stand its use in the program. I'm generally unimpressed by the "skate to a pretty modern ballad" exhibitions, mainly because few people do anything with the music. (Unless you're Ashley Wagner and can seem musical even while doing nothing. Or, unless you're an ice dancer, for the reasons stated below).

But P/T's LP impressed me. The choreography is well done, and there seems to be both a unifying central message as well as individual moments to appreciate. I don't understand Italian, so maybe the lyrics are ridiculous... but I've made a habit of listening to music in languages I don't understand, for some reason.

I think lyrics work better for pairs, because the interaction of two people allows them to showcase the story. I'm starting to think they should stay, for that reason. However, I'm still quite against lyrics in singles. A few programs work, but it's outweighed by the vast number of misses.