Patrick Chan | Page 372 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hey, spiky, do you think Australia is well represented in this forum? No love for Patrick from Down Under as far as GS members are aware of. :(

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the NBC Sports Channel coverage of Patrick's FS. I needed to see it again since I was really starting to fade at about 3:30 am this morning. Some very nice compliments regarding his skating:

Tanith: He is one of those skaters you can appreciate that much more when you are watching him live -- to hear how quiet his blades are, to see his ice coverage. I just feel like I’m with him with every step he takes. I think because I wish I could skate like he does!

Tara: His coach Marina has said “It’s like having a moving Rembrandt in my rink, and being able to watch that every single day is such a treat.”

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Loved Marina Zuevas comment that watching Patrick is like watching a Rembrandt on ice.

Hate her for her treatment if VM but Patrick's Axel has certainly come back working in her stable.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just love Han's unabashed love for Patrick. Really happy how much love is shown for Patrick by the Chinese national team of skaters and Patrick has been adopted by the family. I hope it fills his heart.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Chinese fans(who went to watch COC live) really went nuts about Patrick's skating.
Many turned into a fan immediately. And many gushing about the astonishing experience. they would never expected if it was not watching him in person.
And realized that Patrick's skating is indeed very rare and precious (God like, nobody like him etc.).
And they also started to preach watching Patrick's skating in person at least once, if you consider you are a figure skating fan. (Just like me, a couple of years ago:biggrin:)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thank you for sharing!!! this is so nice to hear. Patrick had never been to CoC because if I recall, it usually was right after SC.... he has now been to every GP. won the finals and 4 of the locations... he was only once at SA and NHK... early in his career. He hasn't won those two but I would be surprised if he went to both of them next year... just to achieve that result.. it's not a very important record but it would be cool.

HEHE : regarding Han and Patrick.. oh well, since I love both of them, knowing that Han loves Patrick makes it easier for me :rofl:

Nice to see that Cong also approved.

I have almost become a Patrick Chan fan instantly... as soon as I saw him at Nationals (on tv). But I am wondering how I will survive seeing him live at Nationals this year... Will I go crazy? Will I throw myself on the ice? HAHA...

Chinese fans(who went to watch COC live) really went nuts about Patrick's skating.
Many turned into a fan immediately. And many gushing about the astonishing experience. they would never expected if it was not watching him in person.
And realized that Patrick's skating is indeed very rare and precious (God like, nobody like him etc.).
And they also started to preach watching Patrick's skating in person at least once, if you consider you are a figure skating fan. (Just like me, a couple of years ago:biggrin:)

emdee

Final Flight
thank you for sharing!!! this is so nice to hear. Patrick had never been to CoC because if I recall, it usually was right after SC.... he has now been to every GP. won the finals and 4 of the locations... he was only once at SA and NHK... early in his career. He hasn't won those two but I would be surprised if he went to both of them next year... just to achieve that result.. it's not a very important record but it would be cool.

HEHE : regarding Han and Patrick.. oh well, since I love both of them, knowing that Han loves Patrick makes it easier for me :rofl:

Nice to see that Cong also approved.

I have almost become a Patrick Chan fan instantly... as soon as I saw him at Nationals (on tv). But I am wondering how I will survive seeing him live at Nationals this year... Will I go crazy? Will I throw myself on the ice? HAHA...

You will really love Nats. It's like a crowning of the best. There is such a feeling of camaraderie and oneness. I am definitely planning to go to Nats in 2018. 2017 I was planning to go but DH decided we would go to Tahiti to escape the winter.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i guess Tahiti is gonna be alright but i feel your pain :rofl2:
You will really love Nats. It's like a crowning of the best. There is such a feeling of camaraderie and oneness. I am definitely planning to go to Nats in 2018. 2017 I was planning to go but DH decided we would go to Tahiti to escape the winter.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you Calica, Krunchii, and yyyskate for the links!

To go with your photos and reports, here's a recording of the livestream at the COC banquet showing the skaters' arrivals and the party inside. I haven't finished watching it all yet, but I did get to the part where Patrick arrived. Enjoy!

http://wb.yizhibo.com/l/vVjG44VsfxlOIAMQ.html?p_from=pRoom.AnchorReplay

And of course, I made another round of updates to my COC blog post after finding more goodies!

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Thanks so much vivley for the recording of the livestream at the COC banquet showing the skaters' arrivals. Too bad Patrick didn't seem to understand the Mandarin "群总,请跟大家说句话吧" and didn't say anything. Instead, Kaitlyn did a good job by saying several words in Mandarin to greet Chinese fans !

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks so much vivley for the recording of the livestream at the COC banquet showing the skaters' arrivals. Too bad Patrick didn't seem to understand the Mandarin "群总,请跟大家说句话吧" and didn't say anything. Instead, Kaitlyn did a good job by saying several words in Mandarin to greet Chinese fans !

群总 (Boss Qun) doesn't sound anything like the names he knows and Patrick was totally unaware that he was being called. I guess nobody has told him what he is known as these days in China. I don't know when it started but 群总 is being used by everybody like it's his official name. :)

I'd been hoping and waiting for a chance for Patrick to compete at COC and am so thrilled that it is such a successful trip. Not only did he win the competition, he has also won so many hearts. The last time he competed there for 2010 GPF, it was at around the height of Patrick hate because of the bad publicity during the Olympics. As well, he was debuting his quads that season with falls yet winning gold and silver for his GP events which brought him to Beijing GPF. I checked the Chinese forum at the time, expecting the Chinese fans to welcome him but instead finding them chasing the Japanese stars and worshiping Plushenko as skating god. Johnny too was very popular and his fans were very upset at Patrick for beating him and depriving him of performing Poker Face at the Olympic gala. Meeting him in person and watching him skate live, cleanly and winningly, converted some Chinese fans then and the conversion continued along with his success.

This time around, I find the Chinese fandom has matured a lot. The fans are very knowledgeable about figure skating and it is now less of a personality cult and brand (reputation) loyalty but true appreciation of real skills. :agree: They have known and now have seen for themselves Patrick's superb, impressive skating. They are true believers of Boss Patrick. :2thumbs:

Did I say I was thrilled? Well, I am. And I hope so much love and support will keep Patrick motivated and grounded in his journey.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick's popularity in China is also good for future endeavours. The Chinese already use Lori Nichol for choreography. Once Patrick starts coaching he could get Chinese students just as Brian has an international group.

On another note comparing Patrick's journey to his earlier FS there is a maturity of interpretation but I find a lower complexity and simpler transitions. While this suits this type of music it does reduce his PCS so won't bode well for him in the future. I hope that he is able to ramp up everything by next year.

Regardless of whether he wins of loses I feel that we are privileged to watch him for two extra years!

Barb

Record Breaker
Thank you Calica, Krunchii, and yyyskate for the links!

To go with your photos and reports, here's a recording of the livestream at the COC banquet showing the skaters' arrivals and the party inside. I haven't finished watching it all yet, but I did get to the part where Patrick arrived. Enjoy!

http://wb.yizhibo.com/l/vVjG44VsfxlOIAMQ.html?p_from=pRoom.AnchorReplay

And of course, I made another round of updates to my COC blog post after finding more goodies!

wow, this is more interesting than red carpet of the Oscars :cool14:, thank you. Patrick arrived at 17:50 min.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's popularity in China is also good for future endeavours. The Chinese already use Lori Nichol for choreography. Once Patrick starts coaching he could get Chinese students just as Brian has an international group.

There are also many more endorsement and other opportunities in China than Canada, China being a huge market where figure skating is growing though not a major sport, yet. That's of course being commercial; the love he receives is uplifting and energizing, a great experience in anyone's life.

On another note comparing Patrick's journey to his earlier FS there is a maturity of interpretation but I find a lower complexity and simpler transitions. While this suits this type of music it does reduce his PCS so won't bode well for him in the future. I hope that he is able to ramp up everything by next year.

I think this is the year of continuing the recovery and addition of technical difficulty started last season. Quality is important and consistent in Patrick's program, in parts and in whole. Thus he raises the degree of difficulty incrementally but steadily yet amazingly fast. It actually took him a longer time of focus to reach the level of artistry today than his pace in raising the technical level whenever that is his focus. His sublime skating and performance have become innate and the new and additional quads and 3As will become easier and more natural as well in his programs next year when he can add to transitions to put everything together for the Olympics.

I always try to get a glimpse of his state of mind by observing his expressions, especially his eyes, as he gets ready to start a program. It was always a great sign to see the fire in his eyes as described by his father. These days, however, it's calmness I see. And he stays happy after the skate however he has performed. This is an elevated state of being and a personal growth beyond what most people ever achieve. It makes me very very happy and confident along with him.

Regardless of whether he wins of loses I feel that we are privileged to watch him for two extra years.

For sure. And witnessing his progress, which is almost miraculous, is fascinating and an exciting ride.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I notice Patrick has gained another moniker: 男神, a god, usually bestowed on the most captivating, admired and highest achieving men, e.g. the most beloved mesmeric actor, or, as recently posted by Han Yan, an indignant politician righteously lecturing foreign journalists. Yes, Patrick has achieved hero status. :)