Patrick Chan | Page 512 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
WHAT????!!! I didn't even know Patrick was doing a summer competition this weekend. I've never heard of the Onyx Figure Skating Challenge before. Anyway, the music and program as a whole was a lot more fast-paced than I expected. I was so afraid the tone would be too similar to Hallelujah, but I was SO pleasantly surprised. Do you think Patrick's team chose to speed the whole song up??? I could have sworn the original I listened to was A LOT slower than this. Jump layout is 4T+3T, 4S, and 3A. 4T+3T was GORGEOUS, the 4S looked okay, and the 3A he fell. That's the latest he's ever put the 3A in the SP, and it was after 2 nice quads, so I'm proud of him. Even with the increased jump difficulty, this program still has Patrick written all over it. Nice footwork and spins and always something happening. I LOVE the turn on his knees before the combination spin!!! :love: I need a closer and better video to appreciate the nuances, but my mind is at ease that I will enjoy the program throughout the season. In other words, it escaped the fate of MTK. :laugh: Whatever they did to it, the music was actually quite engaging. Overall, I really like the program and I think it has amazing potential. Thanks, xeyra, for bringing the videos here! :thank: What say you, 4everchan? :popcorn:

:ghug: I KNOW!!!!!

It's not sped up. And I told everyone to keep the hope alive that it's not going to be as bad as some of us thought ;).
Wait until this is perfect and all the kinks worked out. ;) Cry worthy!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
So it's a 4S landed along with the 4T combo. :clap: And it's just pre-season.

So proud of you, Patrick. I never doubted you.
Yes, that was a 4S, and a pretty good one, especially since it's only his second time ever attempting it in the SP. :yay: GO PATRICK!!!

But I got confused because he was wearing his LP costume from last season... Hope he gets a good new SP costume!
HE'D BETTER! :roll5:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
It's not sped up. And I told everyone to keep the hope alive that it's not going to be as bad as some of us thought ;).
Wait until this is perfect and all the kinks worked out. ;) Cry worthy!
Okay, so it's not sped up. ;) The song just seemed slower than that when I listened to it before, for whatever reason. It was probably my mood. This program looks amazing and it's definitely cry-worthy! I very much hope to see it clean at least once this season.

I really hope we are as pleased by the LP. Fingers crossed. What a pleasant surprise this was for me today! :yes:

FCSSp4

Rinkside
Wow, his 4S seems to have become more stable. Shame on the 3A but that was great considering this is the first time we're seeing his SP. I reckon it'd at least be in the high 90's (98-99) with that (I'm slightly hopeful on a generous 100 lol)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Okay, so it's not sped up. ;) The song just seemed slower than that when I listened to it before, for whatever reason. It was probably my mood. This program looks amazing and it's definitely cry-worthy! I very much hope to see it clean at least once this season.

I'm sure this SP will be mostly clean through the regular season, seeing how well he's doing it already. He just needs to get used landing both quads so as to focus on the 3A. Also to get used to the 3A in the second half. Any entry adjustment would have been done before the GP debut.

I really hope we are as pleased by the LP. Fingers crossed. What a pleasant surprise this was for me today! :yes:

I have a strong feeling Hallelujah will be wonderful and soulful. It's his first LP with lyrics but it has the feel of the kind of music that brings out the ethereal and spiritual skating from Patrick.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okay... here we go...

as some of you may recall... I was not ecstatic about the music choices for patrick... i am still not over the moon... though I appreciate that at least
1) he is not recycling (other than his sexy journey costume)
2) he is not warhorsing

I will add to this that I am also very thrilled that the song isn't attached another song or musical intro of any kind... and feels full (it's almost the perfect length for a SP in its original version.. so that's great)... I liked the Beatles arrangement from last year a lot... the Chopin was great too... but I prefer ONE musical piece throughout...

so we get this here! YAY

When Dust in the wind was announced... i went to youtube because I didn't know the song. I knew it would be a good vehicle for Patrick but it is the perfect canvas for his masterful blade work.... and there, I cannot be disappointed with this first outing....

Quickly : the 4t-3t is so easy here WOW!!! Patrick seems to be even tighter in the air than before... and perhaps it's the fancam/angle whatever but seems to have more snap and quick rotation on this.... Gorgeous jumping pass... Textbook... I wish they remain like this all season.

The 4s .. I think Patrick changed his set up/ footwork into it.... It looks less elaborate... Am I right???? Where are the experts who can provide detailed analysis on the transition before the 4s compared to last year's one?

What I can say is that this program was built to have 2 quads in it right at the beginning so do expect Patrick to land them regularly... For WTT :he did try but it wasn't organized for it and he was rushed into the 4S and that's why he didn't succeed... Here, he has a rough landing but he is on his feet and I can see judges not penalizing him much for this jump, as is... and of course, I am 100% sure that he can do it better and will do it better...

After this : Patrick just skates like the Patrick Chan we know and love.... the music provides so many opportunities for elaborate one foot skating and turns... and who better than Patrick to achieve this. I reserve myself on the praising/evaluating because I sincerely believe that there is more to come... the program looks a bit empty in spots compared to what we are used to... but perhaps that it is a strategy to have great elements... The footwork itself is packed with beautiful twizzles, turns and amazing Chantasy :)

I liked the spins. Of course, there is so much one can do with variety and so on... but Patrick/choreo have done a good job here as all 3 spins looked great, perfectly included in the music and spirit of the song.

I loved how the program is SO BALANCED..... Say no to backloading and gimmicks ;)

On the 3a : well, he just didn't manage to hold his landing edge... I am not worried at all about that... this will stick most of the time.. it's when Patrick loses his entrance and his on a lean that I worry ... not here...

In brief, this is a wonderful, smooth and sensitive SP with a very musically aware skater. Without being my favourite SP ever, it ranks quite high in my list and we are only in August...

Next time we see it, it should be at ACI... Patrick : deadline to register is today.... :) thank you

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Patrick's SP from Onyx today:
https://twitter.com/betterthanTSL/status/898610132472389635 (Part 1)
https://twitter.com/betterthanTSL/status/898610386689179648 (Part 2)

Loving this!

Hopefully there'll be a better quality version soon.

This looks very promising indeed, gimmick-free, and may be the most Patrick Chan program yet. Seamless effortless flow from beginning to end would be like the perfect piece of skating poetry from the master. Coming Olympics: Diamond dust glistening in the wind, along with tear drops in/outside the arena.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This looks very promising indeed, gimmick-free, and may be the most Patrick Chan program yet. Seamless effortless flow from beginning to end would be like the perfect piece of skating poetry from the master. Coming Olympics: Diamond dust glistening in the wind, along with tear drops in/outside the arena.

Oooooh, I like that. Diamond dust!

I've pondered about the synchronicity of Dust In The Wind and a Chinese fan's comment on his interview as being like he has 看破红尘. So what kind of dust is in Patrick's wind? Red dust? Diamond dust? Gold dust? Fairy dust?

There will be tears, of various kinds. I hope to see some in Patrick's eyes on the Olympic podium.

nimi

Medalist
as some of you may recall... I was not ecstatic about the music choices for patrick... i am still not over the moon... though I appreciate that at least
1) he is not recycling (other than his sexy journey costume)
2) he is not warhorsing

I will add to this that I am also very thrilled that the song isn't attached another song or musical intro of any kind... and feels full (it's almost the perfect length for a SP in its original version.. so that's great)... I liked the Beatles arrangement from last year a lot...
I was kinda "meh" back when he announced his SP music, too... I would've actually preferred recycled Beatles -- I loved that program on him! -- but having watched the clip, I'm starting to understand why he picked "Dust in the wind". He just seems comfortable skating to it (in a similar way he seemed comfortable skating to Beatles) even this early on the season. I mean, he landed the quads on first outing -- that's a good sign!

Also, Youtube quickly and repeatedly blocking the audio on Beatles SP was such a bummer last season, probably doesn't happen with Kansas, so yay!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm glad to see that Pat had a great run of both of his programs in the last few days. :gclap:

ETA: YAY! 1300th post made in Chiddy thread!:yahoo::dance3::dance2:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The beauty of Patrick's programs is they will work for him in the context of who he is, what he went through, where it is to take place in his final competition @ Olympics stage. These are grown men's music who went through lots of life experience with alot of soul. As long as he is able to deliver them clean, deliver every choreographed movement with the effortless flow, skating elements as polished/textbook as they can be with his incredible and unmatched skating skills, the natural ease style will become a strength and they should not be beatable in terms of PCS.

These songs capture weariness, poignancy, irony, self-aware, and yes 看破紅塵 well enough. The dust in Ancient China were made out of terracotta, hence red. At the Olympics ice, the ice dust and tears will be made of diamonds, each of them priceless. Once they are gone they are really gone, just like the song.

happylife

On the Ice
I'm glad to see that Pat had a great run of both of his programs in the last few days. :gclap:

ETA: YAY! 1300th post made in Chiddy thread!:yahoo::dance3::dance2:

Congrats on your 1300th post and happy to see it is posted on this FF :hap10:.

I'm so in love with Patrick' 2 new programs already:luv17:. I believe that they will continue to improve and progress :agree:.

Thank you Krunchii for sharing the links with us :hap10:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm... where do i start....? OMG....

let's get the technical aspect covered so it doesn't bother me later when I write

Of course, Patrick marked some jumps... but he still showed his trademark 4t-3t in both programs.... a good 4S in the short (marked in the long) and two GORGEOUS 3As in the long... the first one with the elusive (last year) half loop 3S combo... I usually don't like those half loop combos but it seems like some skaters (look at Osmond's) including Patrick are capable of making them so beautiful and not jerky. I was mesmerized by the beauty of that combo and I hope Patrick can repeat it all year... it is special. I am a bit worried about zayak as if Patrick triples the 4s in a real competition, what will he do??? change the axel combo???? he cannot do 4t-3t, 4t, 3s, 3a-1/2l-3s and 3a.... that's 3 types of of jumps repeated and he is allowed only 2.... So I worry a bit about this. It seems like there won't be any quad flip in this layout...oh well... i prefer a clean and healthy patrick.... but gosh i'd love to see it... even just in training... that jump must be glorious. We need spies to film it in Detroit and leak it ;) Interesting to see a 3l-2t combo right in the middle of the ice, almost like little hops in the choreography.... i'd prefer if he did 3loop-2loop... that would be even nicer but in any case, i like that better than tagging it after the lutz or flip at the end.... of course he marked the jump there but i like them on their own. Patrick is one of the jumpers I adore because his technique is so pure that all his jumps have their individuality yet remain in the Patrick Chan's aesthetic.

I also loved the way he lands jumps everywhere on the ice. Same with the spins.... the design of the program is very well done. I like Patrick even more in this choreography ( I don't know who did which program but I prefer the intricacy of this one).... It felt like Patrick was constantly doing steps after the first jumping passes were done... almost a 3 minute long step sequence... and it's gorgeous.

Now... of course... and again... i love Patrick doing classical music... and was disappointed with his choices... but after seeing this, i agree with OS... these two songs are so suited to Patrick's skating that he just floats on the ice with ease and purity of movement.... it's very impressive to see how every arm movement, turn or step is so in synch with the song. I am very happy that he used the version with the long guitar solo introduction. When his choices were released, I thought that this would provide him with a good canvas for the big jumps at the opening... and that's what happened here, and I am glad it is like that. It gives him just enough support to do the jumps but not get into the emotion of the song right away... which he does so well as soon as it starts.... Patrick is interpreting every word, every line of text. He is mesmerizing.

These two programs, and I hate to think about it, are indeed perfect farewells to the competitive world. He will be remembered as THE skater with the transcendent ability to emote lyrics of a song so perfectly. I feel like Patrick is skating with an open heart here. He doesn't hide behind any of the skating tricks or choreo gimmicks.. it's just him... skating... turning gliding... feeling the music....flexible like a reed in the wind....

I have to admit that I have already cried watching Hallelujah.

I have always loved and admired Patrick but I am in shock at how further these feelings have gone already with these two programs.

nimi

Medalist
Of course, Patrick marked some jumps... but he still showed his trademark 4t-3t in both programs.... a good 4S in the short (marked in the long) and two GORGEOUS 3As in the long... the first one with the elusive (last year) half loop 3S combo... I usually don't like those half loop combos but it seems like some skaters (look at Osmond's) including Patrick are capable of making them so beautiful and not jerky. I was mesmerized by the beauty of that combo and I hope Patrick can repeat it all year... it is special. I am a bit worried about zayak as if Patrick triples the 4s in a real competition, what will he do??? change the axel combo???? he cannot do 4t-3t, 4t, 3s, 3a-1/2l-3s and 3a.... that's 3 types of of jumps repeated and he is allowed only 2.... So I worry a bit about this.
That really was a beautiful axel-sal combo!

His plan B could be to ditch the half loop sal combo and simply go back to his old 2T2Lo instead to avoid zayaking.
Eg. 4T3T, 4T, 3S, 3A2T, 3A, 3Lo2T2Lo

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That really was a beautiful axel-sal combo!

His plan B could be to ditch the half loop sal combo and simply go back to his old 2T2Lo instead to avoid zayaking.
Eg. 4T3T, 4T, 3S, 3A2T, 3A, 3Lo2T2Lo

yup... though I don't like when Patrick has to do plan B... he gets in his head... and that's when things go wrong ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Hallelujah! :love::love::love:

First he transcends the dusty earthly realm. Then he ascends to the heavenly.

Patrick is leaving everyone else behind in the dust in the domain of artistry and will move many many to tears. I'm already chocked up.

I trusted Patrick to bring out the soulfulness and spirituality of this song with his ethereal and sublime skating. He did already at this time of the season. Incredible.

Prayer for Patrick to show the world Ideal Skating even in competitions and even as he raises the technical difficulty along the way.