Patrick Chan | Page 517 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice : you should go to nationals in vancouver.....

I would love to go to Nationals. I am going to US Nationals here in Ca. and if I can swing it from a budgetary standpoint, I will do both. It's an Olympic year and with Canada being in contention for the team Gold Medal, I expect to there will be a TON of great performances in every event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would love to go to Nationals. I am going to US Nationals here in Ca. and if I can swing it from a budgetary standpoint, I will do both. It's an Olympic year and with Canada being in contention for the team Gold Medal, I expect to there will be a TON of great performances in every event.

you are lucky!!!! as they are not the same week.... and since you won't have to travel far for US nationals... you may be able to make Canadian nationals...

i am hoping for a xmas miracle but then i wonder if waiting that late would mean NO MORE TICKETS.... ugh ( i wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out already)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Hey man, I thought you were moving to Canada after Trump was elected! Here's a perfect plan for you: pack your bags, attend Canadian nationals, and don't go back home when it's done! LOL. Totally feasible AND practical, right? :laugh2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey man, I thought you were moving to Canada after Trump was elected! Here's a perfect plan for you: pack your bags, attend Canadian nationals, and don't go back home when it's done! LOL. Totally feasible AND practical, right? :laugh2:

It's funny you said that.......I often speak about my best friend Tiffany who also lives here in Clovis. I just told her I was thinking about going to Vancouver for Nationals.....Her exact words to me were...."You Better Come Back!" She was the one I used to talk to about moving to Canada. Trust me, it I could find that Handsome Devil I met in Banff, I would head to Canada and never return.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's funny you said that.......I often speak about my best friend Tiffany who also lives here in Clovis. I just told her I was thinking about going to Vancouver for Nationals.....Her exact words to me were...."You Better Come Back!" She was the one I used to talk to about moving to Canada. Trust me, it I could find that Handsome Devil I met in Banff, I would head to Canada and never return.

I can assure you there are more than one Handsome Devil in Canada.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can assure you there are more than one Handsome Devil in Canada.

That's so true!! Have any of you been to La Ronde? That was where I met Gino Vannelli and ate Poutine for the first time. It was so much different than being in Vancouver which was much more like being in California. Montreal was basically France and though I speak German, I hardly spoke French. It's really hard to flirt if all you can say is hello.....:drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh well... i have tried very hard but Patrick is not coming to ACI.... he will be starting his season at Nebelhorn.... good luck Patrick but damn it....
:sad21:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Has Patrick ever competed at Nelbelborn before? His Wiki page says no but it also doesn't list his 2013 Thornhill comp.

4everchan - :console: but in Germany right now Kuan is probably :hap85:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Has Patrick ever competed at Nelbelborn before? His Wiki page says no but it also doesn't list his 2013 Thornhill comp.

i guess it's true.... Kuan you are a lucky one ! I am happy for you but you better go LOL !!!!

I'd change all the men slated to be at ACI just for one : Patrick... you can have all the yuzus and javis in the world :)

Re thornhill... they don't list summer competitions on wiki and.. yeah... Patrick's Finlandia was his first challenger series... Patrick used to be a fixture for the Japan Open ... and the challengers really took off as a series after Sochi if i am not wrong..

in any case... it is not Patrick's fault if I cannot afford to follow him everywhere...

that's why i send my unicorn

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I wanted to wait until I could fully indulge with no distractions, so I just watched Patrick’s Hallelujah for the first time……

At this moment, I do not care where he places at the Olympics or if he wins any international events this season. I am just feeling so incredibly grateful that he stayed around long enough to grace us with this piece of art, delivered with such sensitivity and maturity. All of his programs are special, of course, but this one has something extra somehow. Extra fluidity, extra transitions that are different from what he’s shown before. I mean, WHERE THE HECK DO I EVEN START???!!!

He took my breath away from the moment he got out of his start pose. Literally from the first note, but it wasn’t even a note. It was the whooshing sound and then the note. Gorgeous 4T+3T and the crowd got so excited, as they should. Then the 4S. One question technically I have is, is he going to try the 4F? The 3F is his last jump, so there’s no way he’ll make that a quad. Maybe they decided to keep it at 3 quads (2 4Ts and 1 4S) after all. The 3As were 2 of his best ever and he FINALLY got the 3A+1Lo+3S and it was a beauty that looked like he’d been doing it for years!!! That was the most exciting moment technically for me. :yes2: Even his triples looked quite steady here, and I'm not worried about the doubles. Technically he looks incredible for it being August and having to learn two new programs.

Now, everything besides the jumps is SO HEAVENLY IT’S HARD TO DESCRIBE!!!!! I had a mixture of excitement and tears through the whole thing, and it’s only pre-season, watching a fancam that was taken from behind glass. This program is so full of fabulous footwork that at first I couldn’t tell where the actual step sequences were. If I had to describe this program in one sentence, I would say that it’s like watching one long and gorgeous footwork sequence with jumps and spins added for good measure. For many skaters, it’s the other way, where the jumps are the main focus and the other stuff feels added. It’s SO MESMERIZING!!! :yes: For now, here’s just a few details that I noticed, because we do have all season to gush about this program. :laugh:

- the moments when Patrick goes on one knee are so beautiful and fitting. And they are new for him in a competitive program. He went to his knees once during Esqualo, but that’s the only time I can remember him going down on the ice. He’s certainly never done that in competition. Nice addition, David Wilson! (He did it once in Dust in the Wind also).

- after the second 3A, when Jeff Buckley had just sung “a broken hallelujah,” Patrick bends over reaching toward the ice and then reaches his arms to the ceiling, like he has risen from despair, and glides gently backward. SO BEAUTIFUL AND EMOTIONAL!!!

- the camel spin through the 3Lz landing. Talk about matching your movements (and pauses) to the music. And the 3Lz landing was right on the end of the phrase. Swoosh!

- the way Patrick uses his arms. In Sochi and before Sochi, some skating fans thought he skated with a stiff upper body. Well, not here!!! His arms and hands are so delicately and beautifully used throughout Hallelujah. It seems like they’ve gotten even better than last season.

I was concerned when Patrick sounded so unenthusiastic about his music choices when he revealed them. Turns out there was no need to worry, because he already seems quite comfortable with these programs. There’s already such an ease and fluidity in the way he skates them. He didn’t do his full jump content in the LP, but everything he did was clean and crisp. I wasn’t sure whether I would say this or not, but both programs fit him like a glove. I enjoy both of them so much already!!!!! I have one request, though, Patrick: Please show up to SCI with two brand-new costumes! Don’t make us wait any longer like you did last season! ;)

In summary: :jaw: :luv17: :cry: (in gratitude and happiness) :yahoo: :biggrin: :clap:

Kuan

Final Flight

Yesss! Just bought my ticket. It is not easy for me to get there too, because I live in Lower Saxony, but a six hour ride for seeing Patrick is acceptable. :agree2: The prices at Oberstdorf are very good too. I payed less then 60€ for an all event ticket.

:console: to 4everchan. But you have Skate Canada international and nationals!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
The beauty of Patrick's programs is they will work for him in the context of who he is, what he went through, where it is to take place in his final competition @ Olympics stage. These are grown men's music who went through lots of life experience with alot of soul. As long as he is able to deliver them clean, deliver every choreographed movement with the effortless flow, skating elements as polished/textbook as they can be with his incredible and unmatched skating skills, the natural ease style will become a strength and they should not be beatable in terms of PCS.

These songs capture weariness, poignancy, irony, self-aware, and yes 看破紅塵 well enough. The dust in Ancient China were made out of terracotta, hence red. At the Olympics ice, the ice dust and tears will be made of diamonds, each of them priceless. Once they are gone they are really gone, just like the song.

ermmm... where do i start....? OMG....

let's get the technical aspect covered so it doesn't bother me later when I write

Of course, Patrick marked some jumps... but he still showed his trademark 4t-3t in both programs.... a good 4S in the short (marked in the long) and two GORGEOUS 3As in the long... the first one with the elusive (last year) half loop 3S combo... I usually don't like those half loop combos but it seems like some skaters (look at Osmond's) including Patrick are capable of making them so beautiful and not jerky. I was mesmerized by the beauty of that combo and I hope Patrick can repeat it all year... it is special. I am a bit worried about zayak as if Patrick triples the 4s in a real competition, what will he do??? change the axel combo???? he cannot do 4t-3t, 4t, 3s, 3a-1/2l-3s and 3a.... that's 3 types of of jumps repeated and he is allowed only 2.... So I worry a bit about this. It seems like there won't be any quad flip in this layout...oh well... i prefer a clean and healthy patrick.... but gosh i'd love to see it... even just in training... that jump must be glorious. We need spies to film it in Detroit and leak it ;) Interesting to see a 3l-2t combo right in the middle of the ice, almost like little hops in the choreography.... i'd prefer if he did 3loop-2loop... that would be even nicer but in any case, i like that better than tagging it after the lutz or flip at the end.... of course he marked the jump there but i like them on their own. Patrick is one of the jumpers I adore because his technique is so pure that all his jumps have their individuality yet remain in the Patrick Chan's aesthetic.

I also loved the way he lands jumps everywhere on the ice. Same with the spins.... the design of the program is very well done. I like Patrick even more in this choreography ( I don't know who did which program but I prefer the intricacy of this one).... It felt like Patrick was constantly doing steps after the first jumping passes were done... almost a 3 minute long step sequence... and it's gorgeous.

Now... of course... and again... i love Patrick doing classical music... and was disappointed with his choices... but after seeing this, i agree with OS... these two songs are so suited to Patrick's skating that he just floats on the ice with ease and purity of movement.... it's very impressive to see how every arm movement, turn or step is so in synch with the song. I am very happy that he used the version with the long guitar solo introduction. When his choices were released, I thought that this would provide him with a good canvas for the big jumps at the opening... and that's what happened here, and I am glad it is like that. It gives him just enough support to do the jumps but not get into the emotion of the song right away... which he does so well as soon as it starts.... Patrick is interpreting every word, every line of text. He is mesmerizing.

These two programs, and I hate to think about it, are indeed perfect farewells to the competitive world. He will be remembered as THE skater with the transcendent ability to emote lyrics of a song so perfectly. I feel like Patrick is skating with an open heart here. He doesn't hide behind any of the skating tricks or choreo gimmicks.. it's just him... skating... turning gliding... feeling the music....flexible like a reed in the wind....

I have to admit that I have already cried watching Hallelujah.

I have always loved and admired Patrick but I am in shock at how further these feelings have gone already with these two programs.

Hallelujah! :love:

First he transcends the dusty earthly realm. Then he ascends to the heavenly.

Patrick is leaving everyone else behind in the dust in the domain of artistry and will move many many to tears. I'm already chocked up.

I trusted Patrick to bring out the soulfulness and spirituality of this song with his ethereal and sublime skating. He did already at this time of the season. Incredible.

Prayer for Patrick to show the world Ideal Skating even in competitions and even as he raises the technical difficulty along the way.

Sublime is indeed the perfect word to describe his skating. To me, Patrick has already shown the world his unique style and glorious mastery of his art. I think these programs confirm his legacy. I am so in shock that I cannot move from the couch.... i haven't even eaten today..... just emotionally shaken by the beauty of this new program....

I wasn't finished with my thoughts yet. Ha ha.

Patrick looks to be so into his music that he was one with it. This makes it a good choice. He can just be in the music and shut out everything and everybody while he performs. Easy Zone to get into, baby!

Go Patrick! Get in there every time, especially at the Olympics!

It is 8:28 on the West Coast of California and I just witnessed one the greatest free programs I have seen...........It belongs to Patrick Chan....I'm still speechless so I will add more to this post after I watch it a couple more times. He's just a brilliant performer and I truly apologize to Plushy but, Patrick is the best all around skater I have ever seen. It wasn't even perfectly clean but, due to his spectacular performance qualities, there was never a break in my focus of this amazing program. I just have a feeling about Patrick going into this season and if he can stay healthy......I don't want to jinx it. He's a genius :bow:

This is the continuation of my comment in the forum.....Now for the rest. What I admire most about Patrick is that he listens to his music and he does more than skate "To It." It's almost like the music is flowing through his body. I know that sounds weird but, that's really how I felt. My Ballet Teacher used to tell us that we needed to perform for every person in the audience and that's what Patrick does. The clip I saw was taken by an audience member who was sitting in the 4th or 5th row of the audience and was shot through protective Plexiglass....Not exactly ideal for watching a genius perform but I still felt his performance. IMO, even if Hanyu out jumps Patrick, He will not be able to beat him in components if Patrick skates well.

There have always been seasons where I see a program and think...."That program has potential but, I have to watch it again" I was blown away by this program from the minute it began and I came straight to GS to comment because I have never been so excited for Patrick. I will be watching him like a Hawk this year and my excitement level just went up to a 10.
I didn't want to have anyone else's thoughts in my head before watching Hallelujah myself, so I waited to read everyone else's thoughts here until after I'd posted mine. Having done so, I :agree: with every word of the posts I've quoted!!! :yes: :thank: :ghug:

Did David Wilson choreograph both programs, or did Patrick use more than one choreographer this season, and if so, who was the other one?

Where did people find out that Patrick is going to Nebelhorn? That is exciting!!! Anytime we get to watch these two programs will be a blessing. I really hope he makes the GPF and goes to Worlds after the Olympics. We can dream, right? ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
skatingfan4ever I love what you have written in your post... I agree with Patrick's LP as being something special.... though, I think you were a bit too gobsmacked to noticed that he marked most jumps including the lutz and flip at the end. So one quad was landed with two beautiful triple axels.... then he had a couple triples (salchow twice and toe loop twice and loop+2t) and well... that's why I have been hoping to see the protocols..... there was clear zayaking and doubling...which explains the low score... but I don't see it as a low score... LOL.. I see it as potential... 170 something without going for all the big tricks is impressive and could finally bring Patrick well over the 200 bar when everything is landed.... so go Chiddy....

The one thing though, is that, yes, you are correct : unless the plan is to remove the second quad toe, I don't see any room for a 4flip... and honestly, I don' t think it's worth it... the 2-3 extra points he can get on the 4flip wouldn't make much difference in the end... the only way he could really raise is BV would be doing 4 quads and I cannot imagine how that would be possible... unless he plans to YOLO a quad flip as the last jump of his olympic career... LOL... maybe in Yuri on Ice but not in real life ;)

Regarding Nebelhorn ; i found out when I went on the Skate Canada page...if you click on national team, you can then click on international assignments... I was looking to find out who was going to ACI... nothing was updated... and then... BANG.... sigh.... I saw Patrick was going to Nebelhorn.... I was devastated but knowing who is going to ACI put a balm on my wound.... I will have a wonderful time there.

Kuan 6 hours drive : i would do for Patrick... the problem here is that going to Skate Canada in Regina is a 30 hour drive non-stop ;) and Nationals in Vancouver is 45 hours non-stop... :)

The reality is that unless I win the jackpot at the lottery or get a brand new life/job/income... I cannot afford to go this year... I saw him skate only once at Nationals in Ottawa, so at least, I have seen a gorgeous Journey there. However, with the new programs he is preparing this year, I would have been over the moon if he had attended ACI....

skatingfan4ever forgot to mention that I agree with you : Nebelhorn means another chance to see his programs this year... as most likely, he is not doing 4cc... and probably also not worlds... so the more often he can get out there and give us the most perfect program we can watch for ever, the better it is...

So far, we have been graced : Patrick has every year given us a great version of each of his programs... so YAY!!! let's hope he keeps doing that, and especially on Olympic ice.