Rika Kihira | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

leoleo

Medalist
Am I being pessimistic when I say I just want Rika to skate her current layout clean (especially the SP) on a fairly consistent level (as much as you can be consistent with 3 3As at least) before even thinking about adding a quad? I mean, I want her to be competitive with the Russian juniors coming up, she‘s my favourite Japanese lady next to Satoko. But what I admired about Hamada‘s approach was that she stated clearly that they are working on BOTH aspects of the spectrum equally - jumps and artistry. They want her to have good skating skills, solid technique on her jumps, interpretation and maturity and consistency before they move to include more ultra-c elements. I don‘t want to place too high expectations on Rika right now as from what I‘ve heard she was pretty inconsistent in juniors (even though she reached JGPF and was pretty good there. No idea about Worlds or Nationals, though) so how far she‘s come this season is already a great step in my eyes. I’m only a new fan of hers so I might not know every single detail but she definitely impressed me this year with what she has shown. I hope she can do her best at the GPF and get a medal. Then we‘ll see what the next step will be. Nationals, Worlds... If she is able to consistently pull of her 3A layout - yep, get those quads next season. But if she isn‘t... better not risk it.

i think everybody here agrees with you. We're all talking about next season's possible layout as Hamada & Rika herself said quads will come in next season (Hamada felt it was unnecessary to attempt them in competition because of Rika's inconsistency in junior and wanted to spend this season building her confidence instead). I doubt anybody wants to see her go for quads now. We all want consistency first, that's how her PCS will go up too. Quads are still only talked about as a possibility for her even tho she said her 4T has gotten better.
By the way, she was the bronze medallist at last year's nationals in case you didn't know ;)

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Rikas Junior years where verry inconsistent with her ability an TES conent she sould have been up there and batteled Eteris juniors but she never really was because she hardly ever went clean. (I cant remember her doing two clean programs in an international competition). The reason she made the JGPF last year was not due to her own skating but the Rusfeds total mess of JGP assignments (russia suould have had all 6 spots if they had been wiser).
I think it is a good strategy to use this season to get more consistent and develop PCS side of skating and hopefully she can slowly up her TES content even more next year with the quad juniors going senior. She should then have a PCS advantage over them (using this year to develope that aspect as well as gaining reputation) and a similar TES content

Fluture

Record Breaker
i think everybody here agrees with you. We're all talking about next season's possible layout as Hamada & Rika herself said quads will come in next season (Hamada felt it was unnecessary to attempt them in competition because of Rika's inconsistency in junior and wanted to spend this season building her confidence instead). I doubt anybody wants to see her go for quads now. We all want consistency first, that's how her PCS will go up too. Quads are still only talked about as a possibility for her even tho she said her 4T has gotten better.
By the way, she was the bronze medallist at last year's nationals in case you didn't know ;)

I was talking about next season, too, actually. I meant that if she gets to be consistent with her current layout this season (which includes landing the 3A in the SP) then she can think of adding quads next year. If she isn‘t consistent this season with the 3As, why add even more pressure and a higher chance of falling all over?

I didn‘t know about Japanese Nationals as I normally don‘t really actively follow them. Only Satoko really. This will be the first year I‘ll be watching Japanese Nationals and I was told they are as thrilling as RusNats so I‘m excited. But one question is left then, though... (sorry if I‘m annoying with my lack of knowledge, I‘m doing some catch up :laugh: ) If Rika was at JGPF she must have done well on the JGP circuit. She also had two good skates at the final (I just watched it to get into the mood for this year‘s JGPF) and apparently also did well at Nationals. Where also is the reputation coming from that she is heavily inconsistent? Did she bomb Worlds? I don‘t think she was on the podium with Alena and Sasha...

ioanna

Record Breaker
I was talking about next season, too, actually. I meant that if she gets to be consistent with her current layout this season (which includes landing the 3A in the SP) then she can think of adding quads next year. If she isn‘t consistent this season with the 3As, why add even more pressure and a higher chance of falling all over?

I didn‘t know about Japanese Nationals as I normally don‘t really actively follow them. Only Satoko really. This will be the first year I‘ll be watching Japanese Nationals and I was told they are as thrilling as RusNats so I‘m excited. But one question is left then, though... (sorry if I‘m annoying with my lack of knowledge, I‘m doing some catch up :laugh: ) If Rika was at JGPF she must have done well on the JGP circuit. She also had two good skates at the final (I just watched it to get into the mood for this year‘s JGPF) and apparently also did well at Nationals. Where also is the reputation coming from that she is heavily inconsistent? Did she bomb Worlds? I don‘t think she was on the podium with Alena and Sasha...

She was solid on the junior GP and made the JGPF twice (first time she didn't land the 3A but the second time was much better), last year at Jr Nationals she was 6th after the SP and came back in the long to win overall, but Jr Worlds 2018 was where she was really expected to deliver and there she made a major mistake on the 3-3 in the SP and singled her triple axels in the FS. She's been very solid this season but we have yet to see how she skates at the important events, like GPF or Worlds. Personally I think she's on the right track.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

I'll give you a recap!

Rika started the season with Asian Open where she skated two clean programs(she only got one UR call) with one 3A in the Free. :luv17:

In the JGP she started with Riga, where she had a clean SP and a fall on the 3A in the Free Program. She finished 2nd. :biggrin:

Then she went to Egna, her last assignment which means she had to skate well to qualify for the Final so the pressure got to her and it was polemic!!
Rika had a clean SP and a complete mess of a Free Skate. She had a touch down with one hand in the 3A, she did the same thing in the 2A3T combo, then she managed to skate the rest of the program clean but in the end of the program, in the StSq, she fell not once but TWICE!!! :rofl: Classic Rika!!
You can watch this wonderful performance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnWGVvnbqqA&t=70s
There are more dislikes than likes in the video because in the end she finished 3rd and qualified for the Final. :biggrin:

At the Final she skated everything clean, except for the pop on the 3A and I think she got a UR call... So she did very well! :agree:

At the Junior Nats she skated very well too, she even landed a 3A3T2T combination just to show that she can. :rofl2:

At the Senior Nats she landed a 3A in the SP(but then she doubled a 3Lz of course, classic Rika! ) and two in the Free, one in combination!!! And then she almost fell on a 3Lo of course. :laugh:

At JW, Rika got a UR call on her SP combo and in the Free she popped two 3As and got a 3Lz<<+2T, it was basically a meltdown. But the reason why is that she basically forgot to adjust the blades so her jumps were all messed up. I don't even count that JW as a "classic Rika strikes again" episode. :laugh:

So, there you go! It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be actually, now that I look at it... :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Rika had a clean SP and a complete mess of a Free Skate. She had a touch down with one hand in the 3A, she did the same thing in the 2A3T combo, then she managed to skate the rest of the program clean but in the end of the program, in the StSq, she fell not once but TWICE!!! :rofl: Classic Rika!!
You can watch this wonderful performance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnWGVvnbqqA&t=70s
There are more dislikes than likes in the video because in the end she finished 3rd and qualified for the Final. :biggrin:

Love the kiss & cry and how she's holding on to coach Hamada's hand and how relieved they are when the scores come up :laugh: And Hamada poking her cheek, that was cute.

melgirl25

Medalist
Love the kiss & cry and how she's holding on to coach Hamada's hand and how relieved they are when the scores come up :laugh: And Hamada poking her cheek, that was cute.

She seems like such a sweet lady that never gets mad. However, she must have a side of her that can laydown the law!

leoleo

Medalist
Reading Rikaquegira's recap truly makes me realize how far she's come. So far this season, she has only made big mistakes on the 3A. She has built a very strong competitive spirit and i was already feeling it in the summer when she said she was not planning to give up on the 3A with fire in her eyes :laugh: and performed at all the summer ice shows like they were actual competitions.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I'll give you a recap!

Rika started the season with Asian Open where she skated two clean programs(she only got one UR call) with one 3A in the Free. :luv17:

In the JGP she started with Riga, where she had a clean SP and a fall on the 3A in the Free Program. She finished 2nd. :biggrin:

Then she went to Egna, her last assignment which means she had to skate well to qualify for the Final so the pressure got to her and it was polemic!!

At the Final she skated everything clean, except for the pop on the 3A and I think she got a UR call... So she did very well! :agree:

At the Junior Nats she skated very well too, she even landed a 3A3T2T combination just to show that she can. :rofl2:

At the Senior Nats she landed a 3A in the SP(but then she doubled a 3Lz of course, classic Rika! ) and two in the Free, one in combination!!! And then she almost fell on a 3Lo of course. :laugh:

At JW, Rika got a UR call on her SP combo and in the Free she popped two 3As and got a 3Lz<<+2T, it was basically a meltdown. But the reason why is that she basically forgot to adjust the blades so her jumps were all messed up. I don't even count that JW as a "classic Rika strikes again" episode. :laugh:

So, there you go! It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be actually, now that I look at it... :)

Thanks a lot for this recap, it‘s really appreciated. Now I finally have all the information. :biggrin:

Looking at this, Rika had a fairly successful junior season last year. Not as successful as it could have been given her potential but still good. And even from someone who hasn‘t followed her last season but does now, it‘s obvious that she has grown a lot - both physically but especially mentally. I was really impressed with her FS in France. Intentionally popping the second 3A and doing another 3T on the 3Lz was smart. She was thinking and calculating on her feet and that is not easy to do at all. And of course how she managed to come back at NHK to snatch the title. She is looking confident this season and I like it. I wish her all the best at the GPF.

But I still have to admit that I like her SP from last year more. This year‘s not bad by any means, it just seems to pale a bit against the FS which is one of the best this season. But that‘s just my taste. I like her dress, though. She looks very pretty in white.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
New Japanese phenom Rika Kihira more than a new Miss Triple Axel

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...rika-kihira-more-than-a-new-miss-triple-axel/

“When she came to me some five years ago, Rika couldn’t perform any triple jumps,” said her coach, Mie Hamada. “But she already had a high potential, however, and I saw it right away. Rika could run fast. She practiced gymnastics so she had developed a good upper body – in fact the only thing she couldn’t do was skating.

:eeking:

a good read! :agree:

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Rocker Skating ladies preview: https://www.rockerskating.com/news/...-final-preview-ladies-could-it-get-any-better

GOLD Rika Kihira JPN - It really is all about the triple axels this week for Kihira if she is to win the title (and defeat the Olympic champion in the process). Her overall skating and musicality aren’t quite at the level of a Miyahara, but with the highest base value in the world and generally impeccable execution, she really has the opportunity to defeat a clean Zagitova, something very few people can really do right now. But it’s high-risk/high-reward - she can’t afford to make the short program errors that she has this season if she is to control her own destiny.

leoleo

Medalist
Hamada truly believed in Rika since the beginning, i am so grateful for everything she has done to bring us the Rika we know today and everything she's still doing to help her grow even more.

So Jackie predicts Rika will get gold? That's bold. I thought after IDF most people would bet on Alina but even in the prediction thread i see that a lot are betting on Rika. I expect all of the girls to come out this week guns blazing and i hope for a showdown of everybody's best! Let's do it!

Rika's practice report from today, it seems the demon is wide awake! :laugh2:
"Rika Kihira landed 14 3As today—and did a variety of jumps totaling more than 50 in around a 90-minute practice, including a free skate run through."
This is like NHK all over again, when she landed 18 3As in practice. It seems she's in good shape. I hope the jumps come out well in competition, too! Let's land 3 clean 3As please! :hap10:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Hamada truly believed in Rika since the beginning, i am so grateful for everything she has done to bring us the Rika we know today and everything she's still doing to help her grow even more.

So Jackie predicts Rika will get gold? That's bold. I thought after IDF most people would bet on Alina but even in the prediction thread i see that a lot are betting on Rika. I expect all of the girls to come out this week guns blazing and i hope for a showdown of everybody's best! Let's do it!

"Rika Kihira landed 14 3As today—and did a variety of jumps totaling more than 50 in around a 90-minute practice, including a free skate run through."
This is like NHK all over again, when she landed 18 3As in practice. It seems she's in good shape. I hope the jumps come out well in competition, too! Let's land 3 clean 3As please! :hap10:

jesus effing christ

:rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ&t=22s

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I hate you so much! i had managed to forget this horrible video existed and now you're waking up memories i did not want to deal with :disapp::laugh:

Satoko & Rika fixed the ice after destroying it with their 198736 jumps :laugh2:
https://twitter.com/hochi_sports/status/1070056944226852864

sorry!

I love that video and I'm scared.

:rofl:

I can't wait to watch Rika at the GPF, I'm already nervous for her. I hope she is in good condition and is able to skate her best at competition, SP 3A included, please!!! :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

GO BB GURL!!!! I'm so excited. I hope she nails her SP. :points:

lzxnl

Final Flight

Well, I believe Jackie predicted Rika would win NHK too.