Russia’s Medvedeva breaks free skate record | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Russia’s Medvedeva breaks free skate record

Vladimir

Rinkside
Medvedeva is like Jordan in figure skating, way better than anyone else. It doesn't matter what will happen next. Her season is the best I have ever seen. So much better than overrated korean Kim.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Or posters are simply saying what is a likely outcome? No one talks about Anna Pogo losing her jumps due to puberty, and that's not a manifestation of love. It's just that it's fairly clear that she's not likely to, because of her physique, power and jump technique. But with Evgenia... the signs are pretty much there.

exactly, it's not hatred, and it's completely not because she is russian, or this anti-russia thing Americans are so often accused of (roll my eyes, please). When Anna Pogorilaya is on, she deserves to be placed ahead of Evgenia. I think the reason why Yuna was scored over Mao time and time again when they reached seniors was becauseas of Yuna's power and flow on her jumps and edges. Just pointing out Evgenia's weaknesses has nothing to do with hatred, ridiculous.

Abstractor

Rinkside
When Anna Pogorilaya is on, she deserves to be placed ahead of Evgenia. I think the reason why Yuna was scored over Mao time and time again when they reached seniors was becauseas of Yuna's power and flow on her jumps and edges. Just pointing out Evgenia's weaknesses has nothing to do with hatred, ridiculous.

I'd agree on that. Anna (whem she delivers such clean runs) should be way ahead of Medvedeva (especially in PCS). She looks so mature and gracious and the jumps are there. It's a pity russian fed was somehow forced to promote Medvedeva as their prima and the judes just follow up these guidelines.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I'd agree on that. Anna (whem she delivers such clean runs) should be way ahead of Medvedeva (especially in PCS). She looks so mature and gracious and the jumps are there. It's a pity russian fed was somehow forced to promote Medvedeva as their prima and the judes just follow up these guidelines.

It really is a shame. I agree.

moriel

Record Breaker

Sounds kinda like paranoia.
If judges just follow russians fed guidelines, they could have given russians more medal at worlds =) Like put anna second maybe as she deserved?

boskil

Match Penalty
No, that's not it at all. Young girls skating fantastic programs should be applauded and praised and they should also receive huge scores, no doubt. It's just that you can't compare their condition to that of 20+-year old women: not just physically, but also mentally, emotionally... There should be two different categories because we have two different conditions. Consider that in roller skating, skaters can be Seniors when they are 19+! The jumps will be less spectacular etc etc but the competitions will be fair. Junior competitions could become more popular or exciting than Senior ones? So let it be. On the one side we would have girls, on the other women, that's what I care about
You do realize "less popular and less exciting" INEVITABLY means less lucrative?
I bet "the women" don't care much about that... :rolleye:

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
For a very simple reason: these aren't "real skates", if these skaters lose their jumps in one or two years and then have to rebuild everything. Senior should be Senior, as it is in roller skating for example: we do have younger girls who jump better than Senior girls, but since their bodies are completely different and their conditions are completely different (experience, mental pressure etc) we have different competitions. From my point of view, if one wants to win Senior championships she has to make it through puberty and then show to everyone what she has. Pre-puberty skates, even though they can be wonderful to watch, are in 99% of the cases just flashes in the pan.

Sounds like your personal preference.
If they arent "real skates", please make sure Tara Lipinski is stripped of her Oly medal before bashing russians. It was not a real skate after all, why should she have that medal?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
No, that's not it at all. Young girls skating fantastic programs should be applauded and praised and they should also receive huge scores, no doubt. It's just that you can't compare their condition to that of 20+-year old women: not just physically, but also mentally, emotionally... There should be two different categories because we have two different conditions. Consider that in roller skating, skaters can be Seniors when they are 19+! The jumps will be less spectacular etc etc but the competitions will be fair. Junior competitions could become more.popular or exciting than Senior ones? So let it be. On the one side we would have girls, on the other women, that's what I care about

It's ladies' skating, not mature women's skating.

I enjoy technical difficulty, most women seem to be unable to have significant difficulty. That's why they don't place well. It's their fault. They should be better.

Medvedeva is like Jordan in figure skating, way better than anyone else. It doesn't matter what will happen next. Her season is the best I have ever seen. So much better than overrated korean Kim.

To me, Medvedeva's "miracle year" is comparable to Tuktamysheva last year. In 2014-2015 Elizaveta won

Cup of Nice
Warsaw Cup
Nebelhorn
Golden Spin
(second at Skate America)
Cup of China
Grand Prix Final
Europeans
Worlds

This year Evgenia won

Nepala
Skate America
(second at Roselecon Cup)
Grand Prix Final
Europeans
Worlds

This is great. But not to be compared (yet) with the career of Yuna Kim, who has 6 world medals and two Olympic medals to her credit, along with ten Grand Prix victories, while never finishing off the podium in her entire seven-year career.

Anyway, good for Evgenia and many happy returns.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Vladimir's most likely a troll, shouldn't be taken too seriously.

What's different in Tuktamysheva's season in comparison to Medvedeva's is in my opinion that Medvedeva as well as her competitors have in general been significantly better. I really don't think Tuktamysheva would have done as well this season with identical performances. While I guess it's slightly due to inflation, the scores this season are in general significantly higher than those of the last season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Vladimir's most likely a troll, shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It's better to have an impartial level-headed discussion, no doubt. But as it is not the case so that new accounts show up here with the only purpose of critisism of Russian skaters in every post in every thread I personally find this "trolling" being a balance.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I doubt that Russian Fed set the goal to promote Medvedva. They just picked this season's best 3 skaters and send them to different tournaments to get some hardware of different precious metals. :) Next year top-3 might be slightly different combo. Although results would be pretty much roughly the same. :) It's that simple. Depth of Russian ladies field is allowing them to have a very straightforward strategy. It's a no-brainer, really.

andromache

Record Breaker

While I agree that Anna should've AT LEAST beaten Elena during Russian Nats (if not Evgenia, but I don't remember enough), I don't blame the fed for promoting Evgenia and Elena ahead of her, when Anna is so inconsistent. Since Anna was Russian #3, I was shocked to see the judges give her what she deserved at Worlds. But it was a pleasant shock.

Evgenia still deserves the world title over Anna, IMO. Better choreography and more polish.

ETA: I'm super interested for next season. Polina and Elisa stay juniors, Maria Sotskova moves up (though she doesn't seem EXTRAORDINARY compared to Russian juniors of the past, could be a force to be reckoned with). Elena who needs better polish and programs, Liza who needs her past consistency plus better spins and better programs, Anna who needs consistency, and Evgenia who just needs to keep on doing what she's doing.

There's a lot going on, and a lot of room for success. As Evgenia, Anna, and Elena improved upon last season, I expect the top 3 Russian ladies to improve upon last season (even if they're the same, they will be better.)

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Jordan as in... Michael Jordan? The most decorated and talented basketball player of all time, with a career spanning two decades?

As much as I adore Evgenia, this comparison made me laugh out loud. :rofl:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jordan as in... Michael Jordan? The most decorated and talented basketball player of all time, with a career spanning two decades?

One can just only hope it was made to regard Jordan's high-jumping talents to Evgenia. :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
While I agree that Anna should've AT LEAST beaten Elena during Russian Nats (if not Evgenia, but I don't remember enough), I don't blame the fed for promoting Evgenia and Elena ahead of her, when Anna is so inconsistent. Since Anna was Russian #3, I was shocked to see the judges give her what she deserved at Worlds. But it was a pleasant shock.

Evgenia still deserves the world title over Anna, IMO. Better choreography and more polish.

Anna's reputation was terrible before Russian Nationals, no one believed that she could grab a spot for Worlds. Also Elena's technical content is better in both SP and LP, the podium was right in my opinion.

If she managed to do a good GP season, i'm sure she will receive high marks next year.

Stephan Curry will try to surpass Michelle Jordan's "season best" TONIGHT (7:30 PM Pacific time). :)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess we'd better start saying Evgenia is better than Stephen Curry then! :laugh:

16 years old Evgenja is putting a pressure on the seasonsed basketball veteran Kobe Brayant. Today we have a proof: Kobe is finally retiring and going away in tears.:devil:

NB: she is probably ...what... approximately half of his height and third of his weight?

Last edited: