Senior Ladies FS | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS

Zelda838

Spectator
I thought the ladies did very well tonight having to skate under pressure and pull off 3/3s.

Gracie gold is just wow!!! Definitely a top contender for the Olympics! She has cone such a long way. Polina and Marai also skated beautifully. Now it's up to who they will send.

I feel like Ashley shouldn't have made such changes to her training regimen going into an Olympic year, obviously what she was doing before was working. Her programs this year are a little boring and her choreography in her long doesn't fit the music at all. 😔

SkatingFun

Rinkside
Gracie looks very skinny...it's a bit scary :S I like her new dresses!! They are so classy and elegant.

I hope the Olympic team will be Ashley, Mirai and Gracie. Polina said her role model, Tara Lipinksi, went to Olympics as a 15 year old. True - but Tara went as reigning World Champion. I can't imagine her making a senior debut at the Olympics.....

Completely disagree with you: in what sense you think Mirai has done better than Polina from SP and LP? I don't see anything interesting to me from her LP? Her TES being inflated much. In Sochi, I bet most of her triples will be marked BIG and Clear "UR!" And if USFSA want to pull Ashley in, they shall send Gracie, Polina and Ashley, this can do US Figure Skating Good for current and for future. Don't see any legitimate reason to pull a Silver medalist instead of 3rd place? Is Mirai capable to be on podium, is she going to skating another 5-6 years? Sorry you may be Mirai fun, but "status quo of US Figure Skating" is more important than your personal preference.

travelbug

Rinkside
Thank you so much! This link worked. Wow was Mirai touching and adorable. and Gracie truly seems lovely. I loved her high-fiving Mirai at the end!

You said what I was thinking as I just was watching it now. The other thing I appreciated about her is her very evident humility - admitting she's not been consistent, etc. So many would have just made excuses, ignored it entirely, whatever.

I love that Mirai seems to just always be herself. From the presser and her tears, the acknowledgement of her past, yet still having some confidence in what she believes she is able to contribute, to the great sound bites she provided us prior to competing in Vancouver the last Olympics.

And her reply to the sleep question - particularly the facial expression and incredulity that someone was really asking that - made me giggle, as did the high five with Gracie.

Gigi13

On the Ice
You and me both. I mean, I didn't cry but I really did feel bad for her. Though I don't necessarily think it's fair to say someone can wait for another quad. Many things can happen in 4 years. In 2010 many thought Mirai would be in a better place by now than she is. If they didn't implement the age restriction (which I am personally against) then Mao Asada would possibly be an Olympic Champion. Instead she had to wait 4 years for a silver when she was good enough for gold the first time around.
Agreed. I don't know what's gonna happen in four years, I do like Polina's skating and I love her short program she has a lot of potential maybe Worlds would be a better option I don't know what's gonna happen and I'm worried.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Gold for her win!!! I´m happy to notice though that she was not perfect, hopefully her best performances of the season will be at the Olympics!!!

Personally I would select Gold, Nagasu and Wagner to the Olympics. Edmunds is so young, she can wait four years and get more mature. No sense sending a junior skater to the Olympics without important international results in senior skating. I like her skating though.

What´s matter with Wagner??? Boot problems? How can she have boot problems in a very important competition??? Extremely bad timing, in my opinion.

travelbug

Rinkside
<snip>

To Watching the replay of Mirai's jumps, quite few of those are clearly UR. Also so surprised she got such high score on her Choreography/Composition. Don't see anything being Professionally Composite-d in her LP! And it was so obvious she took 4-5 seconds resting herself in the middle of her LP. There are so many Mirai fans on this forum, please excuse me if you are offended! But be fair, she earned the 3rd spot. Replacing her with Ashley will set very poor standard for US Figure Skating future!

Feel so sorry for Ashley. Seems the old nervous Ashley Wagner is back to bite her hard at this critical time. It happened in 2010, here you go again in 2014!

Yes, Mirai got 3rd.

But Ashley got 4th, and frankly, I think she was lucky to get that. And had she not, I doubt there'd be anything other than feigned consideration being given to the decision.

And yes, Mirai may have rested herself and had some UR's, but she also stood up the entire skate - something that can't be said for Ashley on either day. Mirai with rests would almost certainly beat Ashley again if they both went to Sochi and their skates were what they were at Nationals.

If it's an issue of Mirai earning what she got (and being overscored in your opinion) then how can it be said that Ashley didn't earn what she got - fourth. Off the podium and thus potentially not making the team - as well?

Frankly with Mirai skating AFTER Ashley and Polina, and Gracie having to flop to completely miss the podium, the judges could well have scored Mirai lower in order to ensure Ashley was on the podium. But they didn't. And I think that is actually a very possible clue as to Mirai's chances of making the team. If they found the jumps and composition that problematic, her scores would have reflected that - especially since that would have meant Ashley on the podium.

In addition, as you said, once again Ashley couldn't handle the pressure. She couldn't get out of her head - ironic since many call Mirai a head case and she clearly was far from that this week! But that - Ashley's inability to handle the pressure may be a huge factor in the decision of the judges. If she hasn't handled it in Nationals either of the Olympic seasons, how will she handle Olympic pressure? That could prove to be a replay of Nationals both years, I suspect.

Mirai, on the other hand, has earned herself a spot, standing up to the pressure of both the 2010 and 2014 Nationals when she absolutely had to do well if she was to make the team. And then she went on to also stand up to the pressure - even that of skating last at the Olympics - and nearly landed herself on the podium.

If anything, that may be determined to be a compelling case. With that track record - doing it when it counts for the Olympics (Nationals and the games) - and the desire for the USFSA to earn medals, Mirai may well have at least as likely a chance to do that as Ashley, providing the US with the chance of at least having someone who can stay on her feet, which Ashley hasn't proven in these sorts of situations. Given there's a question of whether or not any of the ladies can challenge for a medal at the Olympics, making placement and at least showing well important, that may also be a reason to go with Mira over Ashley...since it's likely the judges would react the same with their programs had it been what has happened BOTH of the last two seasons.

In fact, aside from just the regular pressure of the Olympics, and mentally trying to fight her own nerves and the voices in her head, Ashley would have the additional pressure of constantly being reminded that she didn't "earn" her way on the team. Because while some understand that the decision isn't based solely on Nationals, much of the public doesn't. And you can guarantee if she gets named to the team, there will be endless replays of her skates at Nationals, her "I'm sorry" on video, and other interviews of her talking about nearly just having missed out skating in TWO Olympics, not allowing her to escape that. While she'd get a ton of that now and in the upcoming weeks, she'll really get that at the Olympics. Potentially being hugely challenging, given how Ashley's handled Olympic related pressure in the past.

Mirai, on the other hand, would get the headlines of the comeback girl everyone had written off showing she's still able to hold her own and do well, even under pressure. She'd get the headlines of being the only one with Olympic experience, the one who virtually no one thought would even get near the podium this week, let alone on it and yet proved her mettle. And she did so without even having a coach with her (if she makes it, I'm curious to see what happens as far as having a coach or not) In many ways, it'd give her a flood of support, which could go an awfully long way.

If anything, I think the team could well be Gracie, Mirai and Ashley, leaving Polina off the team.

Regardless of what her juniors seasons have shown, and whether or not those can even count toward it, Polina has virtually no name recognition (here or around the world) which doesn't work in her favor. And while she's proven herself now in seniors, she's not been competing that way and experiencing the difference in pressure levels between juniors and seniors. The Olympics could be a hard way to first have to encounter those two things. Gracie - her name alone being a huge advantage in recognition - at least has more senior experience, has been in higher pressure competitions and mostly done well, and she nailed Nationals. And then there's Mirai, a significant amount of time in seniors and experiencing that pressure (which obviously she has mixed results from) but she's proven she can handle pressure when it counts most, plus being the only one with previous Olympic experience.

It will be interesting to see what they end up deciding. And it'll be sad for whichever is the one to get left out.

Harness

Rinkside
You said what I was thinking as I just was watching it now. The other thing I appreciated about her is her very evident humility - admitting she's not been consistent, etc. So many would have just made excuses, ignored it entirely, whatever.

I love that Mirai seems to just always be herself. From the presser and her tears, the acknowledgement of her past, yet still having some confidence in what she believes she is able to contribute, to the great sound bites she provided us prior to competing in Vancouver the last Olympics.

And her reply to the sleep question - particularly the facial expression and incredulity that someone was really asking that - made me giggle, as did the high five with Gracie.

Congratulations to Gracie, Polina and Mirai, and I hope they are all named to the Olympic team. I was especially proud that the hard work that Mirai has put in this year under difficult circumstances has paid off. Mirai earned her spot on the Olympic team, and I believe her maturity and prior Olympic experience would benefit the ladies team. I was heartbroken for Ashley though, and would like to see her on the World team, where she will have a good chance to medal.

travelbug

Rinkside
This was the first time I've been in the audience for a US Nationals Championship event; I've seen Junior Nationals (back when that was a thing), Sectionals, etc. but this was really so much more impressive. That said, there still isn't a great deal of depth in US women's skating. I mean this in the sense that the girls in the range of places 7-13 will likely continue to finish in those places. Not many standouts, outside of the final group, which, even with the falls showed that America's top female skaters can continue to be competitive in the world.

The most notable exception was Samantha Cesario, whose name I knew but had never seen skate.

<snip>

As far as the teams are concerned, I am of the opinion that we should send Gracie, Mirai, and Ashley to both Olympics and Worlds. I don't care about Polina's age, she should go to Junior Worlds since she's never been, maybe Four Continents. I don't think the possibility of securing three spots for next year's Worlds would be much different with Polina instead. Leaving Ashley off just doesn't seem possible to me. I get that she's not a Michelle Kwan, or whatever, but she's been our best lady and has continued to climb the ranks this season. We'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the tidbits from getting to see it in person! Interesting to hear your thoughts, and especially the crowd reaction.

I agree about Samantha. As I posted earlier, I feel so bad that she's going to stay more of an unknown because she's getting looked over in what's taking place in #1-4 positions and that third spot.

And as I said in my (lengthy) post I just had written before I saw yours, I agree with those three as far as being the (likely) team. If, for no other reason than I don't think the USFSA wants to deal with figuring out how to handle all the fallout from Ashley virtually having been named to the team even a year ago.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Iscariot

On the Ice
I dont know why some of you are discusing whats fair or not, the criteria was published way before the events and the only ones in danger are polina and mirai. And i am sure polina will be the one out. She just doesnt have the experience to hold the olympic pressure YET. Still i believe polina have a great future. Ashley deserves the spot.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
If possible, I would send Mirai and Ashley (or Ashley and Polina... or all three!) to 4CC to determine the last remaining spots. Gracie deserves to go as champion. I think Polina deserves to go as the silver medalist. But Ashley deserves a shot with her international placements this year and Mirai deserves a shot with her placement at Nationals.

travelbug

Rinkside
The moment that USFS starts manipulating results and showing favoritism, I'm out.

I'm pretty sure that's already been happening.

I actually think that they had a PRIME time to manipulate things and show favoritism.

Mirai skated after everyone but Gracie. They knew what she needed to to make the podium and where on the podium she could land.

They easily could have scored her low enough that Ashley could be in 3rd. They didn't.

Despite the fact that there are a host of reasons it'd have been easy to want to do (possible questions/controversy like are currently happening about Ashley possibly making the team anyway - which will obviously only skyrocket depending on the decision they make, the fact that she's all but been named to the team for at least the last year and has been the face of US ladies skating the last several years, etc.) they didn't do it.

If anything, I'd think it would have shown favoritism toward Ashley if Mirai HAD been scored lower given she had no falls and Ashley fell twice. They didn't do it. And that was with it being Gracie last, who had margin to spare, thus knowing it was highly likely that Gracie would be on the podium w/ a medal of one colour or another, meaning they also knew it would have things end up as they are, with Ashley out of the top three.

That's not to think we don't see favoritism at times - or what suspiciously looks like it may be - but Mirais' score today (IMO) is actually a great illustration of when they didn't.

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
If possible, I would send Mirai and Ashley (or Ashley and Polina... or all three!) to 4CC to determine the last remaining spots. Gracie deserves to go as champion. I think Polina deserves to go as the silver medalist. But Ashley deserves a shot with her international placements this year and Mirai deserves a shot with her placement at Nationals.

I agree with that suggestion. It gives Ashley another chance to prove that she can perform in do or die events, and Mirai a chance to show that she isn't just on a lucky streak since CoR. It is unfortunate though that 4CC is only about a week and a half away, leaving neither ladies a lot of time to prepare. Then the team event starts Feb 6. It makes me wonder if the one going to Sochi will be tired out by the time they have to compete. I think that the USFS will probably decide tmrw, so they don't have to worry about potentially tiring out one of their Olympians.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the girls, Mirai for me was the miracle, I didnt like the commentary, it was like they were preparing things in case Mirai skates so well.
I liked Gold really a lot, hat off to Frank Carol.
I m really sad about Ashley, and while Polina 's program was great, I wish Ashley would go, I also dont get how they got same pcs, around 61 with Gracie 68?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I say take the top finishers at the nationals because it is the fairest test.
All the skaters competed against each other at same time, under same conditions, in front of the same judges.
It's like taking the SAT test! all variables have been equalized so that only the skaters' performances can be compared without bias.

I'm sorry if you think that the SAT is the best way to evaluate an individual's knowledge, because it's not. It's got quite a few flaws that need to be fixed.

The moment that USFS starts manipulating results and showing favoritism, I'm out.
Then you would've been out before you even started.

The point is, their criteria was already announced long ago. It's not going to change with a snap of your finger just because you think it ought to. It's like college applications--they'll often require a personal statement of some sort to be written along with the grades you've earned over past however many years. However, they have a GPA requirement. But you think, "Well, I don't have the required minimum GPA to apply, but I'll win them over with my personal statement!" Yeah, good luck with that.

Sacto95834

Rinkside
Tough decision for the USFSA International Committee. While Ashley has probably the best US Ladies 2013 GP record, she finished 4th in the short and 5th in the long at these championships. Would be easier if Mirai just edged her out by a point or two, but this is not the case.

Many of you must be young, or have bad memories, but there is ample precedence for the International Committee to not pick the top finishers in each skating discipline as Olympic team members. Most recent was the case for Michelle Kwan in 2006 - selected but did not skate after all. There was talk Sasha might be sent four years ago, but that went nowhere. Before Michelle, there was the case of Nancy Kerrigan in 1994, Liliehammer. While both of these competitors did not skate in the Nationals right before the Olympics, both were named to the team.

The case more on point was in 1992 when Paul Wylie was picked over Mark Mitchell for the Olympic team. Mark finished higher at the National Championships, but Paul went on to win the silver in Albertville. Based on our history, the International Committee might want to send Ashley. The alternates seem to win silver medals.

My Prediction. I think based on Ashley's poor showing at this Nationals, the team will be Gracie, Polina and Mirai for the Olympics. Had Ashley been closer to Mirai, it may have made a difference. I think the World team will be Gracie, Mirai and Ashley. USFSA will send Polina to Jr. Worlds. I think Ashley will be selected for Four Continents, as the Olympians will pass.

I hope for the best for our ladies team; but I think it's weak, in comparison to other ladies teams we've sent. But ice is slippery and anything can happen.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Gold has gotten her slot at the Olympics as the US champion, but I think 2-4 should go to 4CC and to have a skate-off there and two best get an Olympic slot.

travelbug

Rinkside
This. Totallt agree if anyone should be left off the team ir should be mirai whi also showes shes inconsistent and UR issuses, even the nbc commentators said that she was taking "breakes" during her free skate. Poorly choreographed no transitions and

But apparently the judges felt they saw something different - since they could have used all those things to score her low enough that this 'who should go' controversy would have been far, far less likely to have even happened.

tae04

On the Ice
I think Polina should be sent to Worlds instead. She is nothing but jumps, I don't know how her PCS was so high. I think the Olympic team should be Gold, Wagner, and Nagasu.