Senior Men's LP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Patrick, Vaughn and Jeremy!!!. Great skating tonight from the men.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Congratulations, Patrick!!! :clap:

He improved as he went along, and finished strongly. This in itself bodes well for his future.

I confess, though, that I liked his skating a lot more than I liked the choreography.

enlight78

Medalist
Patrick Chan was great but I still think it is going to be hard for canada to get three spots next year without kevin. Vaughn is too incosistant and his PCs will be way lower internationally. Jeremy needs two 3A's.Does it look bad when the difference between fist and second is about 40 pts in the womens and mens field?

rain

Record Breaker
Chan was amazing. Totally the class of the field. I'm in awe of this guy. I can't believe he has this level of sophistication at his age.

Chipeur was good. He is so fast across the ice. In spite of a few glitches, I thought he really deserved the silver. He's shown how committed he is to improving. It's like watching a different skater from a couple of years ago.

Reynolds - Reynolds has the 3a, and is the only guy in the field with the quad. His jump consistency on the whole is impressive. But he really needs to work on those basic skills. He is soooo slow across the ice compared to the rest of the final flight. He went and got some choreography, so bravo on that, but he still has no connection with the music. I hope he listens to what the judges are telling him and works on those weaknesses, because with his jumps, I think he has great potential.

Looks like they are sending Ten to worlds. Probably a good move — a young up and comer, and he really skated well here.

casken

On the Ice
Kevin got credit for both quads. It was the PCS that did him in.

They should name Chan and Chipeur to the world team and send Ten/Reynolds/Sawyer to FCC to determine the third spot.

feraina

Record Breaker
Patrick got level 4 for all three spins and high GOE's (deservingly so, as he was fast and centered, and had strong positions; way better than anyone else). He had two level 3's for his step sequences with very high GOE's. God, what are they looking for in order to award a level 4 step sequence?? He also got very high PCS, all in the 8's, including four individual 9.00's that I counted from various judges.

rain

Record Breaker
Kevin got credit for both quads. It was the PCS that did him in.

They should name Chan and Chipeur to the world team and send Ten/Reynolds/Sawyer to FCC to determine the third spot.

In a normal year, I might agree. But this year 4CC is in the Vancouver Olympic venue and it behooves all of the top skaters to get some experience there. By the way, they've already said the world team will be Chan/Chipeur/Ten.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan completed 6 clean triples. The 3flip that he under-rotated and fell on was to have been a 3flip+3toe, so he did plan 8 triples.

emma

Record Breaker
the point spread is pretty amazing - that said, I think Canadians have a lot to be proud of and hopeful for in their men's field. great comp!

Chan just blows me away - in how he is so smoothe and how intricate at the same time (definite shades of Buttle and Lambiel and...) and again, those edges - sublime! - and how he really does seem to keep improving. Fantastic to watch.

Congrats to the medalists and thanks once again to fumie-fumie and others for their descriptions.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Patrick's PC's were off the charts. He received four 9's. I think he might be the first male skater (or any other discpline skater) to received 9's. Impressive.

Last edited:

mystichaze

On the Ice
I was very impressed by the Canadian men. A lot of very promising skaters to look for in the future. One of my favorite discoveries was Joey Russell. I just love how he moves across the ice. I look forward to seeing more of him. It was a very exciting competition and I hope that the American men deliver the same excitement next week! Thanks to all those who did PBP!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Patrick's PC's were off the charts. He received four 9's. I think he might be the first male skater (or any other discpline skater) to received 9's. Impressive.
No, he isn't.

Takahashi 4CC 2008: 3 times 9.0 in the long program, 3 times 9.0 in the short program

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. I just don't recall many skaters getting 9's.
And you are totally right with that. I thought that maybe Lambiel might have gotten some for choreography or interpretation at some time - but I didn't find anything. And since we established that 4CC 2008 was really overmarked, it seems to be really rare to get a 9.0. I honestly don't get why. They have till 10.0 and guys with really great choreography, interpretation and execution should be able to get 9.0 outside of Nationals and inflated events.

Sdongxie

On the Ice
Am I the only one who thought Patrick Chan‘s speed in the free skating was not as good as Skate Canada?:scratch:

Anyway, Congratulations to him for landing two triple Axels:clap:

screech

Final Flight
Overall an extremely well skated event - no extreme meltdowns which was awesome and everyone was fighting so hard. None of those top 7 skaters wanted to let anyone else take their possible world spot and went all out, fighting the whole way. It was awesome to see such an all around amazingly skated event with such close scores from 2-5 place - I'm sure Shawn is kicking himself for that 3s - if he had done that he would have likely been the silver medallist. Instead he barely made the national team for next season.

Also, Kudos to Fedor. He popped his first 2 jumps but came back with an outstanding performance.

And well done to Ian Martinez - huge improvement from SC and definitely one to watch.

One of the best Canadian Mens competitions in a long long time (actually, the last one I recall being even remotley well skated by most of the top was 2005).