elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The dreaded double post...:biggrin:

Born to Move.. with Kurt Browning!!!:jump:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I meant to post about this when I signed in on Tuesday. But by the time I got all the corrections to the Nationals Game stuff done, all I wanted to do was go to bed! :bed:

For as long as I can remember, I have watched the "Last Night Of The Proms" every year. And for the past few years, I have started watching the highlights of the Scottish edition of "Proms In The Park" as well.

On Tuesday, a Scottish girl that I am friendly with was in my thoughts. So, I decided to hunt down one of my favourite performances from the Scottish Proms that I have seen:

The Ayoub Sisters and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra - "Misirlou / Ah Ya Zen"

This was from the 2018 concert at Glasgow Green.

"Mirsilou" is an interesting piece. Although the music undoubtedly sounds Middle Eastern, the lyrics (and the title) are actually Greek. It is a love song from a Greek guy to an Egyptian girl.

And at this point, I should add that Laura and Sarah Ayoub were born in Scotland to Egyptian parents. So, they are whatever is the plural of "Misirlou"! :biggrin: (Sorry, I don't speak Greek :( )

If you want to hear "Misirlou" with vocals, here are a couple of LIVE performances of it by a Cypriot singer I like.

Firstly, a fast paced performance during the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics Closing Ceremony:

Anna Vissi - "Misirlou"

And secondly, a really slowed down version from an appearance in Athens a few weeks ago:

Anna Vissi - "Misirlou"

And it is really appropriate that Anna is the person singing it. Because she is from the village of Pyla / Pile, the only place on the island where the original Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot inhabitants still live side-by-side.

A song about a mixed religion relationship being sung by a singer from a mixed religion village. Just perfect! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love2: Misirlou, and I can confirm that its been played @ many Jewish wedding receptions in my extended family.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally, a song I actually know and like has topped the charts!

It may be 26 years late, but one of my favourite Christmas songs has finally reached #1 in the UK charts!!!!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Mariah Carey - "All I Want For Christmas Is You"

Incidentally, here is the song that kept it off the #1 spot back in 1994:

East 17 - "Stay Another Day"

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot too. But you have to admit, Mariah's song is in a totally different league.

:love2: Misirlou, and I can confirm that its been played @ many Jewish wedding receptions in my extended family.

I don't actually know any Jewish people in real life. So, I have never been to a Jewish wedding. But, from what I have seen in films, they seem like great craic! And I love the music that gets played!

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

Winter, Fire and Snow - Orla Fallon

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is incredibly special, I think - Australia's Classics FM, their virtual choir singing a carol specifically commissioned and written by Deborah Cheetham.

If you have felt isolated and alone at any time this year, I think this will speak to you.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The soundtrack to "The American President," one of my favorite movies.
Is it on youtube? I love soundtracks, have heaps that I use for mood music when writing or working online ☺️

I've currently got the one to the Chinese drama The Untamed running, someone told me I had to watch it and it really is oh so much fun, and the music is lovely. The Mission is going to be next, because a day with Morricone is always a better day.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it's on Youtube (track by track - one of those "play all" deals). I have it on cassette tape & still have a mini-boombox with a cassette player/CD player/AM/FM radio. For years I've been trying to "upgrade" the cassette tape of it to CD, but have had no luck through Amazon. com, etc. I wish there was I way we could convert it from cassette to CD (I'm no "techie!")

A few years ago we were standing in line for Disney's California Adventure ride "Soarin'." To my delight, the music that was playing while you wait inline was the main theme of "The American President!" :love2:

I bought the CD of "The Mission," thanks to Paul Wylie & Matt Savoie! :cheer::hap10:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
The American President

Lakme - Flower Duet
When the President picks her up at her apartment this is playing softly in the background..

;):love:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^ I loved Danny Kaye in "Hans Christian Andersen!"

Just wanted to let you know that "Hans Christian Andersen" was shown on Boxing Day, and so I finally watched it. And I agree with you - he was absolutely brilliant!!!

The whole film, and in particular Danny Kay's acting, was pure genius!

One thing I couldn't get over was just how many of the songs I already knew. Which just goes to show how big an impact the film made on general culture.

For those who haven't seen the film, here is a good example:

Danny Kaye - "The King's New Clothes"

I cannot thank you enough for mentioning this film in your reply to my comment about "The Court Jester", @iluvtodd, and for prompting me to keep an eye out for it.

:thank:

I would definitely recommend it to everybody! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ One of the highlights for my mom when she was in her twenties was meeting Danny Kaye @ work. He came to the office where she worked (somewhere in New York City).

I was so thrilled when I found a copy of "Hans Christian Andersen" @ our local BJ's Wholesale Club (kind of like Costco's in the USA). I had to buy it!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

Short Change Hero - The Heavy

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^ One of the highlights for my mom when she was in her twenties was meeting Danny Kaye @ work. He came to the office where she worked (somewhere in New York City).

I was so thrilled when I found a copy of "Hans Christian Andersen" @ our local BJ's Wholesale Club (kind of like Costco's in the USA). I had to buy it!

Wow!!! What a thrill that must have been for her! I hope she found him as likable in real life as he was on the screen.

Ever since you posted this, I have been trying to work out who the most famous person I have met is. And, apart from motorbike racers, I am drawing a blank!

There are a few people who I went to school with who have gone on to play football, hockey or netball internationally. And there are a couple of guys that I got on well with at school that are now in a band that has had international success. But, because I know these people, I don't consider them as being "famous".

My cousin talked to TV presenter Declan Donnelly on the main street in my hometown a few years ago. His parents were from a village that is 10 miles from me, so it isn't unknown for him to be in the area. I've never seen him around, though. Does that count? :p

Anyway, I am only replying now because there was a film on last Sunday that I have wanted to see for years, and I wanted to report to you what I thought of it. Unfortunately, far too many phone calls interrupted our viewing on Sunday, so we didn't get it finished until yesterday afternoon. But, it was worth the wait!

I am talking about the 1971 film adaptation of "Fiddler On The Roof". And to say I loved it would be an understatement! It was absolutely brilliant!!!

To mark watching it, I wanted to post a song here. The problem is, a lot of the songs contain major spoilers for those that have not seen it. So, I am pretty much restricted to choosing between the first few songs in the show. One of which is the song that everybody knows. And, even though there is some pretty entertaining dancing during that scene, I didn't want to take the easy way out.

So, instead, I am going with the song that opens up the show. The song that got reprised so many times that it is now firmly stuck in my head! :laugh:

Chaim Topol - "Tradition"

OK, then. You've twisted my arm. Here's the dancing:

Chaim Topol - "If I Were A Rich Man"

One thing that has been puzzling me ever since I watched the film. How many hands does Tevye have?! Because during the freeze frame scenes when he is trying to make decisions, he talks about on the one hand, and then lists arguments for about 4 or 5 other hands! :laugh:

Definitely a film that I would recommend.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Staying with musicals, and Friday was a very sad day for fans of "The Sound Of Music".

As I am sure a lot of you will have heard by now, Canadian actor Christopher Plummer, who played Captain von Trapp in the 1965 film adaptation, died from complications after having a fall 2 weeks earlier. He was 91.

In the completed film, Captain von Trapp's singing voice was provided by Bill Lee. However, here is the un-dubbed version of the Captain's most famous song, where Christopher Plummer is actually singing:

Christopher Plummer - "Edelweiss"

Although this is the role he is best remembered for, Christopher Plummer had a very long and very successful career on both the big screen and the small screen. Nearly 70 years! He never retired - the recording for what will be his final role (a voice in an animated film) was only completed recently.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

In a sad irony, English actress Jean Bayless, who played Maria in the original West End production in 1961, died on the same day from bone cancer. She was 88.

Jean Bayless - "The Sound Of Music"

She went on to appear in ITV soap "Crossroads".

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RIP, Captain von Trapp. :pray:

I was not familiar with Jean Bayless, but my condolences to her family, friends, & fans, too. :pray: