Who should have won that gold! Top ten robberies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who should have won that gold! Top ten robberies

burntBREAD

Medalist
I never noticed how iffy Orser's spins were, like that flying camel at 2:20 was not good at all, under 6.0 or COP.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
We all just have to hold our noses as we hand Nancy that gold medal. :laugh:

Kwan's Junior Worlds program that year had more content than Baiul's program. In her own way, however, Baiul helped bring a change in skating. During an interview for the 1993 Worlds, Oksana said her idol was Jill Trenary, because she brings a kind of femininity that not many of the other women did. Oksana tried to emulate that. After Oksana won, a lot of the women began emulating Oksana's upper body movements. Kwan even said she wanted to use her hands the way Oksana did.

seniorita

Record Breaker
So why did oksana win at the end? Did she have an advantage from sp or sth? I haven't seen the lps of lilehammer in ladies, but I know their dresses:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He also wanted to emmulate Scott Hamilton, though.

I can see the argument for 84 for Orser, not so much in 88.

Well actually with the marking system and argument could have been made for Orser in 1988 - remember the same thing with G and G over M and D or BS over Sale and Pelletier or Baiul over Kerrigan - the tie breaker is artistry os if Boitano won technically he could lose if Orser was 2nd technically but first artistically.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never noticed how iffy Orser's spins were, like that flying camel at 2:20 was not good at all, under 6.0 or COP.

Boitano had a wonderful spread eagle and lutz too. But Boitano did not have that organic, that genuine since of musicality or artistry. It was an act that he continued on for years as a pro that I wear tight pants and put on a puffy shirt and looking longingly or lovingly into the audience - it sounds like I am being mean but watch his performances and you realize its the same "dramatic artsy attempt pose". Life isn't fair probably you think in a just world Orser and or Stojko would have won one OGM between them Throw in Browning and Canada was really unlucky not to win one men's OGM in like a 10 year or so span. What are the odds? They are the Susan Lucci's of skating I guess. And to the person who said Orser looked like a bell hop remember the olympics were in Canada and red is their color.

burntBREAD

Medalist
So why did oksana win at the end? Did she have an advantage from sp or sth? I haven't seen the lps of lilehammer in ladies, but I know their dresses:)

Oksana wasn't in the lead at all (Kerrigan was 1st after the LP). Oksana did the exact same badly choreographed program from 1993, two footed a few jumps, and then had a really messy and awkward ending because she needed a jump combination (which she didn't have in 1993) so she tacked on a double toe-axel to a badly landed double axel :disapp:. If her LP was at the same level as her SP, I might have accepted her win as Kerrigan wasn't exactly the most moving skater with her random Jazzercise music cuts and stiffness, but Baiul's bad program + worse technical content should've left her behind. I actually would have preferred Chen Lu to win in 1994 :thumbsup:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Artistry being completely subjective, I have to say neither Brian are overly artistic in my mind...

Orser pulled a Kwan(98), he played it safe and Boitano went all out.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, I also agree what he said, but I'm not sure, Mao would have won gold with a clean FS. Yuna 's scores were too high.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I agree with what everyone said about the 1994 ladies FS and its really, really poor judging. It's not only appalling that Oksana with literally 3 clean triples, no real jump combinations, no real footwork and a program so poorly constructed that it was later used by ISU training seminars as an example of poor choreography was placed first overall, but even worse, 6 of the 9 judges actually placed Oksana first/tied Oksana for first on the TECHNICAL mark which is just ludicrous.

I also think that Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze were robbed of the gold at 2001 Worlds, and that Sale/Pelletier would likely not have won if Worlds wasn't in Canada that year.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

She had no real advantage, being 2nd in the SP, but she wasn't truly behind, either. If her, Nancy, or Bonaly had won the FS, they would win the gold medal.

gkelly

Record Breaker

She convinced five judges to put her first in the free skate. Certainly not on the basis of technical content, but I believe she was fast (I was there for the short program, and she was fast then), energetic, and charismatic, expressing the music well even though she wasn't always actually skating while doing so. There was no instant replay, so some of the bad landings probably went unnoticed. The judges who put her first were probably more impressed in the moment by her performance quality than they were by Kerrigan's technical content. Especially if they were already so inclined for political reasons or personal style preference. In 6.0, for good or for bad, it was easier to get caught up in the emotion of the moment and let overall impression outweigh analysis.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Well actually with the marking system and argument could have been made for Orser in 1988 - - the tie breaker is artistry os if Boitano won technically he could lose if Orser was 2nd technically but first artistically.
Tie breaker in 1988 was tech mark, not presentation, so NO an argument could not be made.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Yes, I also agree what he said, but I'm not sure, Mao would have won gold with a clean FS. Yuna 's scores were too high.

She is just a dancer. She is not even in the skating world. I would ask Tarasova.

Tarasova's face tells us All right after Yuna's FS.

Tarasova knew instinctively even if Asada clean, she would lose.

We know Tarasova doesn't have a poker face.

http://leoganna.tistory.com/70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPP-8hhSrCA

I would trust more Tarasova than a Dancer. In 2002, with Yagudin she was different, she was confident.

Not just in 2002, I have never seen such a face in every Olympics. She knew from her experience.

Even Mao knew she lost even before her FS. The picture tells a lot. Their body language . Mao didn't want to face the reality like some of her fans.

The difference between Tarasova and Mao is whether to face the reality or not. The picture shows all. Although Tarasova didn't like the result, she face it and admit it right after olympics. But Mao and some of her fans couldn't take it.

In FS, Mao's 3 axcels were underrotated. She got no 3lutz, 3sal and made 2 big mistakes. She should be 4th after Mirai. Mirai didn't make a mistake. Mao won the lottery.

We knew how Mao went through Olympic season. 2009 COR her total score was 150 exactly same as Yuna's olympic FS scores. Judges know the history, of course.

Without Tarasova, Mao wouldn't be on the podium. She is very a competent coach. Mao had a good choice.

Past is the past. Now, Let's face the present, future.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
She convinced five judges to put her first in the free skate. Certainly not on the basis of technical content, but I believe she was fast (I was there for the short program, and she was fast then), energetic, and charismatic, expressing the music well even though she wasn't always actually skating while doing so. There was no instant replay, so some of the bad landings probably went unnoticed. The judges who put her first were probably more impressed in the moment by her performance quality than they were by Kerrigan's technical content. Especially if they were already so inclined for political reasons or personal style preference. In 6.0, for good or for bad, it was easier to get caught up in the emotion of the moment and let overall impression outweigh analysis.
I know a few years later, Jan Hoffman said in an interview that if he could have seen the landing of some of Baiul's jumps more closely (she buried her awful 2 footed jumps in corners), he would not have tied Kerrigan and Baiul (but had Baiul on the tie breaker which at the time was the presentation mark), but would have dropped her a 10th technically. One of the things Baiul did was help usher in video replay for judges. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well if Oksana conviced the judges...:) I just watched Nancy's Lp and I m not that impressed by her jump technique or the program, but if you say Oksana had 3 triples only..I havent watched her Lp yet , I m searching for a good quality. I thought though Nancy had the whole packet ready, beautiful dress and pricency style of skating, a match of OGM, so if Baiul won her despite that 80s haircut and that i dont know how to describe dress then sth special must she have had!!!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She is just a dancer. She is not even in the skating world. I would ask Tarasova. Tarasova's face tells all.
Tarasova knew instinctively even if Asada clean, she would lose.

I would trust Tarasova than a Dancer.

In FS, Mao's 3 axcels were underrotated. She should be 4th after Mirai.

http://www.google.co.kr/imgres?imgu...5800759&page=1&ndsp=5&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:53

Like Orser's face too....WOW! Mao is a great skater, you are wrong, and too strict. And his 3A is great, you can't deny what is obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK01mukJJe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y5mcxHe9Qc perfect two 3A

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well if Oksana conviced the judges...:) I just watched Nancy's Lp and I m not that impressed by her jump technique or the program, but if you say Oksana had 3 triples only..I havent watched her Lp yet , I m searching for a good quality. I thought though Nancy had the whole packet ready, beautiful dress and pricency style of skating, a match of OGM, so if Baiul won her despite that 80s haircut and that i dont know how to describe dress then sth special must she have had!!!

Here's a pretty nice quality video of her FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LpQ9Q773k