Who will stay and who will retire after this season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will stay and who will retire after this season?

futureidol

On the Ice
This is something new. Could you please provide the link for the Russian interview? Thanks!:)

As of Olympic or World title,:rofl: it can only be a dream. Sorry.

Here's the link , but the interview is in Russian, so you'll need someone to translate it.

People on the Johnny's Angel boards translated it, here's the discussion

I'm not making it up, honestly Weir said he wants to skate another season after this. The only point Johnny ever even considered quitting was after last year's Nationals disaster. His heart was broken and it was the lowest point of his career. Give him a break. To say he always feels like quitting and he doesn't have a passion for his own sport is a grave exaggeration.

Last edited:

psycho

On the Ice
What you said:

Weir has no plans on retiring after this season unless he "makes his mark in the history of the sport this year" (I assume that would mean an Olympic or World title). He stated this in a recent Russian interview. In fact he and his mother have implied he will most likely skate another season no matter what :rock:

The word for word translation of what he said:
Q:"Not your last season?"
A "Maybe not. Maybe I'll stay. But if this is my last seasons, I want..."

If you read it in context, he is waffling here, and leaning more towards the "see ya later" side. Sorry, I think it's just talk. I hope he goes to Worlds after the Olympics, but I will be surprised to see him even there.

I'm not making it up, honestly Weir said he wants to skate another season after this. The only point Johnny ever even considered quitting was after last year's Nationals disaster. His heart was broken and it was the lowest point of his career. Give him a break. To say he always feels like quitting and he doesn't have a passion for his own sport is a grave exaggeration.
Ummm, just based on what he said publicly, he wanted to quit after 2006 Olympics, Anissina had to talk him into staying (IMHO, he should have taken that whole season off, but that's beside the point)
Spring 2007 (he was thinking "I either quit or change coaches"...chose the latter)
And the aforementioned Spring 2009...
And that's just what he publicly revealed. I am sure the thought crosses his mind quite often. And that doesn't mean that "he has no passion for his own sport". It means he does not want to compete anymore ( or for much longer), and wants to move on.
I would never accuse Weir of lacking passion for performing or skating. It's the competing that he seems to be "over" to an extent. Presently he comes off as though he's in a competitive mindset, but that won't last past the Olympics.

He's 25 years old, he deserves to have a normal life...

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Wouldn't it be nice if the some of the single ladies go into pair skating after they retire? The women in pair skating are usually older, so I think it can work out.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael actually skated Pairs as a Novice. But I think she wants to go to college, not skate Pairs, when she's done with skating as a single.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Johnny skates reasonably well at nationals/olympics I could see him taking off worlds and trying to cone back next year. Evan seems pretty set to retire after this season and if Jeremey has a great finish he might leave too (although I am doubtfulvon that one). Regardless, winning a national title and even medlaing at worlds will be a lot easier in 2011 than it is now. If those accomplishments are really important to Johnny (although he has already accomplished both) I could see him maybe coming back, especially if he skips the GP.

If skaters, after the Olys retire, they may well skate in shows, and give exhibitions which will keep them in shape for 3 years with an intensified 4th year of pactice for another Olys. Such was the case with Plushy, S&Z, and Sasha..

french quarter

Rinkside
I think the one I remember more clearly was from Orser where when asked he said they'll see after olympics what'll be in terms fof 2014 Sochi. He mentioned he could see Yuna competing but first they'll look at what'll happen in Vancouver or smth along the lines.. I found it a bit vague. These comments came close to the time the interview with his father was published so it depressed me..

Yu-Na said she would not think about her future until after the Vancouver Olympics because she had been so focused on competing in the Olympics. We should take this literally unless any other source says otherwise. I think this is what Orser meant. IB Sports, her agent, and Yu-Na's team (probably her mother and Orser) have reportedly discussing a "long-term" plan for her. I don't see a long-term plan without thinking of them considering the Sochi Olympics. Her father said he hoped she would retire early for his family to live together happily, and that it would be her who would make the decision.