Will Mao stick to the three-3A programs and do 3A-3T in SP? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Mao stick to the three-3A programs and do 3A-3T in SP?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the order of the skaters on Olympic night plays a role on whether Mao will skip her jump or not. If she is one of the last to go, and the others made major mistakes, then maybe she will skip in order to skate clean. But if everyone else has minor mistakes or skates clean, then she won't skip any of her planned jumps. Mao seems like the type to risk it all for the gold or a medal. Also I read somewhere that she said her jump layout at Nationals is an easier version than the one she will use at Olympics, so maybe she will make some changes.

I think you are right. Shizuka could do 3-3s and was doing 3-3-3 in practice at the Olympics, but because Irina has mistakes in the LP Shiz knew she could get on the podium if she was clean, so she did the 3-2 instead and doubled a jump but it was enough for gold because Sasha made mistakes in the FS too.

I see the situation where if Mao is no lower than 4th after the short, and Joannie doubles jumps in the free, Akiko is kept down because of PCS and edge calls, Miki leaves out the 3-3 and 2a-3t, and no one else pops out of nowhere, Mao will do the 2a-2t instead. I leave out Yuna because I assume she will skate after Mao as she rarely falters in the short and will most likely win the event anyways.

If Mao makes silly mistakes in the short though and has to try and climb back up, I think she will have to go all out in the free with the 3a-2t. Or if all the frontrunners nail the FS, then I bet she will attempt the 3a-2t as well.

The only thing is that it's hard to know how everyone else has done, as most skaters try not to think about that before they skate.

miki88

Medalist
I was just reminded of how much the order affected the performances at the 1998 Olympics. Tara Lipinski was last to skate and she was definitely aware that Michelle had a clean skate so she went all out and won the gold. I feel the last skater has an advantage in that respect. However, I think Mao will probably go all out even if she is not the last skater and does not see Yuna skate, because it's her only chance of winning. This also applies to Miki and Rochette if they want to contend for the gold.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think you are right. Shizuka could do 3-3s and was doing 3-3-3 in practice at the Olympics, but because Irina has mistakes in the LP Shiz knew she could get on the podium if she was clean, so she did the 3-2 instead and doubled a jump but it was enough for gold because Sasha made mistakes in the FS too.

Skating order does matter and it effects different skaters in different ways. But I think Shiz skated before Irina in Torino - and just like in 2002 - Irina skating last could not close the deal and win an OGM that was hers for the taking.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

The only thing is that it's hard to know how everyone else has done, as most skaters try not to think about that before they skate.

Actually Shizuka skated before Irina, who was the last to skate (or the next to last). Fumie might have been the very last actually. Shizuka skated after Sasha, so she knew that she was pretty much going to get a podium spot if she stayed on her feet. I often wonder why Shizuka did not go for at least one 3/3 knowing that Irina could pull out two or three of them and win easily. I guess she just wanted to get a medal, as medals were hard to come by for Japanese athletes at that olympics.

rossdale

Match Penalty
3a-3t???

Sorry but this is a dumb question. She won't go for 3a-3t in sp. She can't even land a 2a-3t without getting downgraded, why would she want to go for a harder combo? I have seen her practicing 3t-3t recently and it was very underrotated. She had a really good tech coach when she got her 3f-3t ratified. Now that she doesn't really have a coach, I highly doubt that she can even land a clean 2a-3t.
:rofl:

3A-3T? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
It is a virtual fantasy of Mao Asada.