World Team Trophy - Day 3 | Page 52 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy - Day 3

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
what do you mean? the skaters who get medals are the ones skating segments of the competition, not everyone on the team.

there are other sports that do similar team events... for instance, we could look at equestrians...

there are also new formats of relays in all sorts of disciplines including luge and skiing.

The point is that the IOC wants to have more and more team events (as long as they don't mean adding extra athletes) and they also want more and more mixed sports. It's why we see these events coming in year after year and not some others. I am happy that there is a team event at the Olympics because for instance, it encourages nations to develop all disciplines. Look at China for instance, they are slowly starting to build young Ice dance teams and I am pretty sure it's because they want to get closer to the podium for 2022. If they manage to do what they did for pairs, China will be a superpower in skating ! that's awesome!

The inclusion of the Team Event makes good sense for the IOC.

Figure skating is a main event (I would say THE main event) in the Winter Olympics.

By limiting participation to athletes who are already competing, the cost to the IOC is virtually nothing, and they get three more nights of major sport coverage and the ratings that will go with it.

In USA, there are a few oddballs like myself who enjoy watching sports like biathlon and Nordic combined... but we're few and far between. Unless there is some major human interest story or a rare American in contention, the networks need something to keep Americans tuned in. The team event takes care of three nights.

As for me, I like it because we get to see more skating, and more skaters get medals.

jkun

Final Flight
OK... what's up with the ladies' event scoring. It's almost unfair that this is considered an ISU event and is going into the record books. I'm actually horrified at the scoring protocol. The most egregious scoring I have ever seen..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OK... what's up with the ladies' event scoring. It's almost unfair that this is considered an ISU event and is going into the record books. I'm actually horrified at the scoring protocol. The most egregious scoring I have ever seen..

there is no record books :) ISU does not recognize records

when i look at PBs of skaters, if I see it's Mordovian ornament or WTT, i just try to find how much they have score in the ISU championships like the WC or Euros/4CC.

Some competitions are high-scoring events, even sometimes Euros or GPF are cuckoo ;) but it is well-known that WTT is over the board. Always....

The girls delivered at least.. so that was nice to see...

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Mihara and Higuchi didn't make the slightest mistake and got all locations in their jumps, scoring around 145-146. Had they pulled off the same performances in Finland, Japan could have kept the three slots for the next Olympics, finishing 4th and 5th, respectively. Men didn't score that well overall, while women's free skating was so magnificent and they got what they deserved. Radionova's free skating was almost flawless without a fall, which hasn't happened in the entire season, and she may be getting her groove back. She only fell once in the six-minute practice, which accounted for 90% accuracy. I'm looking forward to seeing her in South Korea.

Last edited:

Danielle

Spectator
And so the season is over! I'm so looking forward to what everyone's programs for the Olympic season will be. Hopefully Averbukh will chill out this time and pick a less depressing theme and at least try to change the outline of Medvedeva's programs :) Thanks to all the athletes for such great season, especially men

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
what do you mean? the skaters who get medals are the ones skating segments of the competition, not everyone on the team.

there are other sports that do similar team events... for instance, we could look at equestrians...

there are also new formats of relays in all sorts of disciplines including luge and skiing.

The point is that the IOC wants to have more and more team events (as long as they don't mean adding extra athletes) and they also want more and more mixed sports. It's why we see these events coming in year after year and not some others. I am happy that there is a team event at the Olympics because for instance, it encourages nations to develop all disciplines. Look at China for instance, they are slowly starting to build young Ice dance teams and I am pretty sure it's because they want to get closer to the podium for 2022. If they manage to do what they did for pairs, China will be a superpower in skating ! that's awesome!

Of course I meant those who skate....but if you're dead last and bombed the whole program you didn't contribute, you even lost your team points. And then you get the medal anyway. I'm not sure that's ideal. Just my personal opinion. I know other sports do it, too. Still don't like it.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Lol, I just realized that today was Ladies' FS and then saw Zhenya's score and then Mai and Wakaba. Lol what happened?

Obligatory score rage aside: they all skated great. Really. Go and watch all three. Now :biggrin:

Of course, she corrected her floopz (e) to floopz (!). What an improvement, nobody in the history has demonstrated this level of commitment to correcting their technique! +2s and +3s for this beautiful effort! :drama:

Not sure what the floopz comment is referring to... the way she goes into her 3Lz? Because yeah, that's pretty loop-like, but not against the rules or anything. Nobody is required to enter the lutz with the classical long outside edge set-up. If it is referring to her actual jumping technique (like this comment was used for other skaters before), then you're wrong. Her toe picking technique is fine, no whole blade on the ice for the picking foot at all.

Additionally, improving from an e to ! is a huge deal. I don't see why she shouldn't be complimented for that.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Not sure what the floopz comment is referring to... the way she goes into her 3Lz? Because yeah, that's pretty loop-like, but not against the rules or anything. Nobody is required to enter the lutz with the classical long outside edge set-up. If it is referring to her actual jumping technique (like this comment was used for other skaters before), then you're wrong. Her toe picking technique is fine, no whole blade on the ice for the picking foot at all.

Additionally, improving from an e to ! is a huge deal. I don't see why she shouldn't be complimented for that.

Her assisting foot lingers on ice longer and the blade borderline touches the ice when she performs her Lz. Her toe pick is not clean with Lz. It's not the same with F and T.

To be honest I don't understand why she should receive ! in the first place instead of e. ! mark is for unclear wrong take-off edge. Her take off edge isn't unclear. It's obvious even in normal playback speed. :scratch2:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Do the individual winners in each discipline receive medals? If not, I think that's way too bad. I would love to see Vanessa & Morgan on top of the podium with the French National anthem playing! :love:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Do the individual winners in each discipline receive medals? If not, I think that's way too bad. I would love to see Vanessa & Morgan on top of the podium with the French National anthem playing! :love:

from ISU twitter: Only top three teams at the end receive medals in the overall victory ceremony. No individual medals. Idea is highlight team effort

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Her assisting foot lingers on ice longer and the blade borderline touches the ice when she performs her Lz. Her toe pick is not clean with Lz. It's not the same with F and T.

To be honest I don't understand why she should receive ! in the first place instead of e. ! mark is for unclear wrong take-off edge. Her take off edge isn't unclear. It's obvious even in normal playback speed. :scratch2:

Her picking technique isn't ideal, but it's far from bad... it's IMO just fine. The blade comes down pretty far, but it doesn't touch the ice, and that's the main point. I don't really know what you mean with "her assisting foot lingers on the ice longer"? Looks around normal rotation on the toe-pick foot to me.

This time I thought it was obvious yes... but most often during this season, I thought ! was perfectly fine. Yes, you can see she's not a 'natural lutz jumper' and will probably never be, but it really improved a lot. I'm fine with her getting !'s. (And I did complain about her not being called on this just last season. I just honestly think she improved)

magicalwords

On the Ice
Her picking technique isn't ideal, but it's far from bad... it's IMO just fine. The blade comes down pretty far, but it doesn't touch the ice, and that's the main point. I don't really know what you mean with "her assisting foot lingers on the ice longer"? Looks around normal rotation on the toe-pick foot to me.

This time I thought it was obvious yes... but most often during this season, I thought ! was perfectly fine. Yes, you can see she's not a 'natural lutz jumper' and will probably never be, but it really improved a lot. I'm fine with her getting !'s. (And I did complain about her not being called on this just last season. I just honestly think she improved)

I don't know how to describe this well, but the opposite of what I'm describing would be something like Yuzuru's toe jumps. He has a really quick tap with his toe pick and his assisting foot leaves the ice immediately. I think playing it at 0.5x speed makes it more clear.

The only time I thought Evgenia's lutz edge was "unclear" was at Worlds, but I blame that on camera angle.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Zhenya should start having 3-limbs above the head during rotation, both arms and one leg and call it a Zhenya.

Hah if anyone could, its her!

I remember Jason Brown once did the 2T on a 3F-2T combo with one arm in front and the other behind. I tried it and it's actually pretty easy to do (Sui also has these arms on her throw). So that's another arm variation that Medvedeva could consider!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just watched it. I. DO. NOT. AND. NEVER. WILL. UNDERSTAND. How the heck these judges justify giving Medvedeva astronomical scores. I have no problem with her, she is not my favorite but I do find it admirable that she has delivered amazingly this season and the last two... I just don't get it, the judges have made it impossible for any other lady to ever catch Medvedeva when she is clean. Its made the ladies event so annoying to watch for me because no matter what anyone does no one will catch her. 160 is a joke. I just can't believe it has gotten this far, next year I fully expect her to be scoring 175 by the olympics. She's going to have 95 PCS by then, with a program portraying the tragedy of every other girl who dream of the possibility of winning the olympics.

Ending my rant there. I want to say I was excited to see Radionova do well here, I thought she was done and I am happy to be wrong there. I also loved Mai, Wakaba and Gabrielle's performances, they were brilliant. Their excitement was so adorable.

Hah I know you're exaggerating, but you'll be happy to know that mathematically she can't score that high unless she increases her difficulty. Her PCS (78 :laugh:) is almost maxed and her elements can't get much more GOE (save for maybe her spins).

I am impressed that even though she is so maxed out she still finds something (like the Rippons) to add to increase her already astronomical score.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Hah I know you're exaggerating, but you'll be happy to know that mathematically she can't score that high unless she increases her difficulty. Her PCS (78 :laugh:) is almost maxed and her elements can get much more GOE (save for maybe her spins).

I am impressed that even though she is so maxed out she still finds something (like the Rippons) to add to increase her already astronomical score.

I like her Rippons much better than her Tano's but I still think it has been completely overdone. Her program did not grow for me, it just became obnoxious, because the judges are basically making her a standard of a direction figure skating should go in. I prefer Gabby Daleman's WTT long to Medvedeva's by far.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Mai and Wakaba skated clean on home-ice. You can bet Anna wouldn't have beaten them....144 would've been max.

well it's true that Mai and Wakaba is overscored much, but so is Zhenya, do you really think she can get perfect 10 in PE, 78 PCS, 3 perfect 2.1 GOE for her jumps? and other almost perfect bonus for TES in other competition? she never achieved perfect 3's in her jumps element before. i think why Elena, Gabby and Ashley didnt get such fabricated score is because they have small mistakes here and there. unlike the other 3 who are completely clean.

edit: well after looking at it, they do get a bit boost in PCS, like Ashley usually get 68, except for Worlds 2016 in USA where she get 73. Also Elena never got 70 before. Gabby also get 70 for the 1st time, but she scored 69 before like Elena. it is nothing outrageous like the other 3 tho

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Zijun!!!! OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG! She was everything! :luv17: So glad for her that she finally received some good scores!!! She's just so precious! :yahoo:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

from ISU twitter: Only top three teams at the end receive medals in the overall victory ceremony. No individual medals. Idea is highlight team effort

Not the same as medals, but FWIW, the top three in each discipline were recognized at the banquet and given gifts.

FFSG has photos on FB showing the skaters with their (wrapped) gifts:

ETA:
Forgot to say that in the FFSG photos, those who placed first were wearing the laurel wreaths/crowns :cool:.​

Per the sound on Boyang's live streaming, those who achieved Season's Bests at WTT also were recognized at the banquet and (ETA: IIRC?) given gifts from a sponsor (I did not catch the name of the sponsor).

[From what I could see on Boyang's streaming, when Yang Jin returned to the Team China table with his gift for third place in pairs (with Cheng Peng), I think(??) he let Boyang open it. Seemed(??) to be a zippered leather pouch (from a high-end brand, I would assume?? I do not mean to make it sound cheesy -- I doubt it was cheesy). The FFSG photos show that the gifts for second place and first place were progressively larger :laugh:.]

And BTW, in the FFSG photo showing all the team captains "on stage" at the banquet, Cheng Peng represented Team China. In Boyang's streaming, Captain Yang was right there sitting at the Team China table at that moment, so Yang or someone must have decided to have Cheng go up in his stead.]

My congratulations to Team Japan, Team Russia, and Team USA.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Not the same as medals, but FWIW, the top three in each discipline were recognized at the banquet and given gifts.

FFSG has photos on FB showing the skaters with their (wrapped) gifts:
Per the sound on Boyang's live streaming, those who achieved Season's Bests at WTT also were recognized at the banquet and given gifts from a sponsor (I did not catch the name of the sponsor).

[From what I could see on Boyang's streaming, when Yang Jin returned to the Team China table with his gift for third place in pairs (with Cheng Peng), I think(??) he let Boyang open it. Seemed(??) to be a zippered leather pouch (from a high-end brand, I would assume?? I do not mean to make it sound cheesy -- I doubt it was cheesy). The FFSG photos show that the gifts for second place and first place were progressively larger :laugh:.]

And BTW, in the FFSG photo showing all the team captains "on stage" at the banquet, Cheng Peng represented Team China. In Boyang's streaming, Captain Yang was right there sitting at the Team China table at that moment, so Yang or someone must have decided to have Cheng go up in his stead.]

My congratulations to Team Japan, Team Russia, and Team USA.
Thank you ice coverage :thank:. Your depth of knowledge is as impressive as ever :bow: