Worlds: Men's FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Men's FS

discode

Final Flight
Men's skating hasn't been this good and exciting in quite a while for me. Hanyu and Nathan delivering such amazing programs back to back was just something special to watch. Both had such crazy pressure on them and they still did that. :hap10:

And so many other guys went clean and did great performances as well. Happy for Mikhail and Boyang.

But Shoma is breaking my heart. He's so hard on himself. Jason had the worst luck to skate after those two who just broke the WRs within 5 minutes of each other. He should still be proud of how far he's come.

Jun go rest! Not many people do that well at their first worlds. He has a lot to be proud of.

s_parks

Record Breaker
This whole competition was a lot, but I'll keep it relatively short and just say positive things about the top 3.
Huge kudos to Chen, and thanks for making me feel like a loser while you balance Yale and elite skating :laugh: But seriously, amazing.
And what do you even have left to say about Hanyu? Who even has this level of physical and mental ability/motivation to continue skating at this level after 2 individual olympic golds? Just :bow:
Zhou seems like an incredibly hard-working and intelligent individual, and it shows in his improvement here. I may not be the no. 1 fan of his skating, but he's not an idiot and knows what he needs to work on to get to the top.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My heart is too full right now except to say thank you Yuzu for giving your heart and soul each time you skate. The crowd feels it. I felt it so strong today.

Nathan, in Yuzu’s words, “so cool”.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Nathan, Yuzu and Vincent! Amazing display of athleticism by the men today, well done!

Heartbroken for Shoma:(

GGFan

Record Breaker
Still on cloud nine over Nathan!! :hap93:

So grateful that Yuzu is still gracing us with his presence after winning two gold medals and having nothing left to prove :bow: Good job by Vincent of going cleanish, despite my concerns about his PCS scoring.

Props to my boy Misha! His Carmen never really got his due :clap: And despite mistakes I absolutely adored Kevin's performance--his entire heart and soul were in it.

But back to Nathan. So impressed by his pulling this off while at Yale. He's been so smart in his choice of choreographers and has in time developed his own style. It's so rewarding to see him grow from a 10 year old to this. So proud! :points:

alexaa

Final Flight
Nathan was sick since nationals, and got sick again during mid terms 2 weeks before the worlds, which derailed his plan to go back Lakewood for a week’s touch up with Raf. Basically he trained by himself until 2 days before sp.

Yuzu seems not fully recovered from his injury.

These two are so gracious toward each other during practices, and only have praises for each other.

This is what Jackie tweeted after today’s practice

“Once again, Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu ends their practice session bowing together. Chen goes quickly and claps for Hanyu and lets him have the ovation from the home crowds”

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1109283912365203456?s=20

Let us comment on the moments we like or dislike, not argue about these two amazing amazing skaters.

Yuzuru Hanyu brings majesty to the ice. A full vision of what figure skating can be.

Nathan Chen is a superhuman talent.

What a duo!

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Wow, what a satisfying event. :luv17: Heart broke for Shoma, but wonderful skating from both Nathan and Yuzu. :clap: Amazing they both managed to do so well despite their obstacles this season

Maria Anna

Rinkside
Nathan - I'm so proud of our amazing two time world champion! :dance2: He is definitely a fighter and he is a great role model. Nathan was under pressure after Yuzuru's skate but he overcame the pressure perfectly. Well done quad king! :hap93: :hap93:

Yuzuru - We should be grateful to watch him skate! He always tries to do his best for Japan and for his fans. No matter what happens he is still the greatest! :luv17: By the way, seeing him with silver medal was kinda unusual.

Vincent - Personally, I don't like his skating and I can't connect with his programs. Vincent getting a medal was surprising for me.

Mikhail - We got a clean and perfect Carmen from Misha. He is so talented and when he lands his jumps he becomes unstoppable. Hopefully, he'll get better in next season. I love him with all my heart :love::love:

Junhwan - My heart breaks for him. :sad4: Overall, he had a good season but sadly he couldn't succeed in Worlds and now its time to go rest Jun.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That was a sensational FS by the medalists!

Nathan Chen absolutely owned this competition and everyone in it. To have the fortitude to execute that after Hanyu laid down that FS was so impressive. The jumps were super solid (save for a bit of shakiness on the 4F and euler series). And I dare anyone to say none of his jumps had transitions. Hard to believe this is just his third senior year and has 2 World titles to show for it - and with dominant margins of victory each time. Without a doubt the best skater in the world today. Components were a bit high in TR and IN for me but not egregiously so - like maybe a point less. Still a record scored by a long shot - 323 points and without an 8th jumping pass in there. Fantastic win and great to see his humility in all of it. Now he just needs to adds that 4S back in there! :biggrin:

Hanyu was absolutely stellar too and kudos to him for breaking the 100 TES barrier, 200 FS barrier and 300 overall! He definitely fought for everything - some jumps were lacking his usual flow and his salchow gave him issues, and the footwork could have been better (had a bit of a save at the beginning twizzles and he's capable of deeper edges throughout), but the spins were sublime and the overall performance was so strong and impactful. I thought the GOE and PCS were on point too. Great kuyashii-fueled comeback from the SP! In time, I think he needs to bring back the 4Z though - even without the pop and the salchow better landed in the FS, he would have been edged out by Chen. Although neither guys brought their best (as in A+) jumps either. If Worlds shows anything it's that Hanyu no longer has a PCS buffer on Chen - and this was in *Japan* on Hanyu's home turf so people can't even say anything about bias/favouritism. So now it'll really come down to tech ability and execution of it. Should be quite the battle in the next quad between them but nice to see the respect they have for each other.

Happy to see Vincent win bronze too! There are certainly people out there who love to snark on him and probably would have wanted to see him bomb. And he made them eat it. He held his nerve and had some wonderful elements (including the hardest one of the competition). Way to win bronze in just his second senior year! He has a very introverted level of skating and I'm not a huge fan of this program (he could commit to his movements more and create greater tension, but that comes in time).

Nice bounce back skates from Jin and Kolyada too! Sad for Jason but not entirely surprised- he will always have that sensational SP though!

I feel like I’m the only one who enjoyed Vincent’s performance more than Nathan’s all the time. Under rotations aside, he is just so much more expressive.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Vincent... ugh... I still can't shake off the feeling that he's that model Asian kid who's just, always that, a model Asian kid. :palmf: I feel like it's an unfair assessment of him but he's just so safe, orthodox and inoffensive that I struggle to really relate to him. Perhaps I just personally love sparks, sincerity, originality, and grace, and he isn't exceptional in any of those. Still, though, fantastic skate for him, and good for him to do well here and get a medal.

Whoa! While I agree with many of your points, I want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with being a model Asian kid :laugh:. I think the spark and flair will come with time/maturity. It can be learned. I don't think many skaters/dancers are just born with it innately.

yude

Record Breaker
My heart is too full right now except to say thank you Yuzu for giving your heart and soul each time you skate. The crowd feels it. I felt it so strong today.

Nathan, in Yuzu’s words, “so cool”.

"I lost, I lost, I am kuyashii, he is cool, damn." :laugh:

https://twitter.com/aco97295125/status/1109442137148416000

Congratulations to all the medalists! I am also happy for Kolyada, I hope we're going to see him perform like today more in the next season.

Now, I am going back to watch Yuzuru's FS again, I had waited for this day for 4 months and what I've got is truly treasure :thumbsup:

liv

Record Breaker
the program I will watch again is Yuzuru's... to do that after being injured again, on painkillers again, off for months... again. and to skate like that... wow. Yes, he had many little errors, he wasn't as clean in his execution as usual, but it was a damn fine performance considering those things as well as the home country pressure... he may be regretful, but I only see a winning program that was against all odds.

nathan, great skate. fairly cleanly executed, although his high goe for some forward landings bothered me a bit... but still, he deserved his win by delivering 2 solid programs without major errors.

Vincent. good job. URs were there, but not as many as in the past and he performed as well as he could.

good competition.

century2009

On the Ice
This was an unbelievable competition. The best when one WR is set and then gets broken next.

Nathan has really grown a lot and well deserved the score both his Tech and PCs for the win.

That 4Lutz is at 4.76 GOEs which was unbelievable but well deserved given the beauty of it.

Hanyu was great as well. He went out there to challenge Nathan and did. He didnt let the SP get to him and skated a great performance.

I hope they continue to compete with each other more because they really push the sport and it makes the competition AMAZING.

Nathan has now match Hanyu in PCs and his jumps have the high GOEs, so Hanyu needs to up his tech to rival Nathan. And he will as he also try to get the 4A.

Vincent was a surprised but correct. He had a clean skate with high tech. And to be fair, he has worked on that UR (still a problem but better). I dont. know about that PCs, but if you put a clean skate with high tech, the judges will rise the PCs. He has potential but he still has a lot of work to challenge Nathan and Hanyu.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the best things about this competition was the mutual shows of respect between Yuzuru and Nathan. They are the two best skaters in the world right now and each acknowledges the other as such.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Thank you Yuzuru for making my first time attending a competition so memorable. I really wanted to see Origin and I really hoped it would be clean; and he delivered! (4S aside, it didnt mar the live experience). After all his frustrations with the 4Lo in practices, I’m really glad he managed to give us such a great performance. Admittedly I am bummed he didnt win, but what I hoped for - no falls, no new injuries, smile after a great skate - came true... so I am content.

Mad respect for Nathan - balancing Yale & FS as well as growing from the experience skating after Yuzuru. Two clean programs, he did deserve the win. No complain over the scores as a whole... Just maybe on transitions but that would just be a point or two or smth, so it doesn’t really matter. Doesn’t change that what Nathan did in this WC was “so cool” (Hanyu, 2019)

Both of them got standing ovations from me tonight... though one accompanied by a more frantic screams and teary eyes 😅

Yuzuru and Nathan rivalry will push them so much ahead of others... but I hope Yuzuru will take it easy for now with his ankle the way it is :(

And omg KOLYADA and BOYANG!!!
I am so so happy to see them deliver! I was literally jumping for Kolyada as he landed jumps after jumps. All the fans in the arena were delighted!

Shoma and Jun... take a good rest you poor ones :(

Yuzu said he was on pain killers for two months :sad21:

And then went on to to talk about how he not only wants to do the 4A, but also to bring back the 4Lz and get he 4F 🙃 The 4A, I understand... the 4Lz kind of... but the Flip!?!

Ps: being in the arena has its disadvantages... I didn’t get to hear this conversation live! 😂🤣😂🤣 oh Brian... https://twitter.com/seiimei/status/1109455340465213440?s=21