You in your old days.
betty-white-wine.gif

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For living their best life and screw the bitter old critics:
Minsol singing along to her Cats programme, fu TSL
Minsol is gonna be a star, of there is any justice. I love her.

Best entrance:
Yuzuru descending from the heavens on wings of flame. Dear God.

With the additional "best and must have been priciest by a mile throwback costume to be worn for one and a half minutes if that". Will we ever see it again?

Special award for being the most adorable, charming, delightful thing on ice:
Kazuki Tomono
I gave that to Minsol but I will say Kazuki is likely to have a great career in shows even if he doesn't get any major medals, he has such audience appeal. Didn't I read somewhere he was one of the very very few who were on banners being provided at Worlds?

Overly photogenic award:
Yuzuru Hanyu, again

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sheesh, that reminds me...

VPN "Informant" of the Year: @TontoK for posting the Proton link. Saved my life for these WCs, that did!

I'd like to thank The Academy... 🏆

Honestly, I'm not clever enough to figure out all this technology. I just discovered Proton from another board during 4CC and shared it here, but I am glad that others found it helpful.

Which brings us to our next award.

Sport Making It Most Difficult for Fans to Watch... Sadly, there's not much suspense because there was only one nominee in this category.

Weetos

Final Flight
I gave that to Minsol but I will say Kazuki is likely to have a great career in shows even if he doesn't get any major medals, he has such audience appeal. Didn't I read somewhere he was one of the very very few who were on banners being provided at Worlds?
I genuinely think there were more banners for him than any other skater. Which I support.

I still say he should have medaled at 2018 worlds and I will be bitter about it forever.

Yuzu should break out his firebird costume for surprise entrances
Which brings us to our next award.

Sport Making It Most Difficult for Fans to Watch... Sadly, there's not much suspense because there was only one nominee in this category.
Oh dear... for me it's the easiest it's ever been! Everything is on youtube! With great commentary! It's amazing.

I have a new award nomination to rival the alcohol consumption: the Mars award for stress eating through competitions. Goes to me. I'd like to thank my trusty bag of maltesers, I would never have made it without you. Even if I did have to watch through my fingers at times.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Didn't I read somewhere he was one of the very very few who were on banners being provided at Worlds?

The WFS merch-stand had the official Shoma, Kazuki, Ilia, Dai and KanaDai banners (only the more eyecatching yellow-pink ones, from the looks of it not the new lavender ones) on sale + loads of other merchandise of the Japanese skaters:

https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1638331980755632128

I genuinely think there were more banners for him than any other skater. Which I support.

On tv it looked like there were about as many banners for Kazuki as there were for KanaDai. :love:

My awards go to:

• Solene for her grit and determination to come back from such an awful injury

• Rikuryu for their season grand slam and making history for Japan in pairs

• Shoma and Kaori for their consecutive double World crowns

• Ilia for landing the first 4A in history and landing it consistently – just WOW 🤯

• Nicole for sticking it out and delivering at Worlds as one of the oldest competitors in the women’s field

• Deanna and Dai for proving that age is just a number

• Dai for laying down two of the most memorable PotO performances at home Worlds in two different disciplines, 16 years apart (and crying tears of joy at the end of both)

• Kana for her patience, her inexhaustible optimism and her talent – she’s such a star in her own right (and doesn't get enough credit for it) 🤩

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Sofya Akatyeva as best woman skater in the world. Probably Adeliya second, Kamila third. The top three women skaters in the world.

Weathergal

Medalist
This is a fun thread, and it's been interesting to read the variety of choices. Thanks @Anna K. for starting it!

My season 2022-2023 awards include:

Performances I have rewatched many times more than I should admit:
Three-way tie:
Andres Nordeback "Hurt" SP
Charlene Guignard / Marco Fabbri's FD
Jason Brown's "Melancholy" SP

Favorite comeback performance:
Andrew Torgashev's Enigma FS at US Nationals

Favorite Men's skater discovery:
Samuel Mindra, especially his "Earthquake" SP, which I might have also rewatched a few times...
Also winner for best cartwheel and cutest smile at the end of his program ;)

Favorite rock program:
Lukas Britschgi's "Another Level" SP

Favorite Pairs team "rediscovery":
Annika Hocke / Robert Kunkel how did I not notice just how good they are? Their Worlds FP in particular was wonderful! Annika is such a smooth, expressive skater!

Favorite new Pairs team:
Lia Perreira / Trennt Michaud

Favorite Dance team discovery:
Yuko Orihara / Juho Pirinen

Favorite Dance team "rediscovery":
Marie-Jade Lauriault / Roman LeGac - their "Pink Panther" FD was so clever and I really enjoyed their RD as well; made me appreciate them much more and made me sad that Canada couldn't send at least four dance teams to Worlds

Favorite skate we've all been waiting for:
Junhwan Cha's World's "Bond" FS
Also winner for best Ina Bauer of the season

Favorite Ladies SP:
Isabeau Levito's "Una noche mas"

Favorite new-ish ice dance training group:
Matteo Zanni, Barbora Reznickova - with Natalie Taschlerova / Filip Taschler, Maria Kazakova / Georgy Reviya, Katerina Mrazkova / Daniel Mrazkov, and others

Favorite costume:
Madison Chock's RD costume

Weathergal

Medalist
How could I forget? My award for the most creative program of the season across all disciplines goes to Yuka and Yuho and their choreographers Neil Brown, Luca Lanotte and Matteo Zanni for their awesome killer mermaid FD! 🧜‍♀️:points:
I was trying to think of who else is with Zanni, and I completely forgot about them so thank you for mentioning that!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I was trying to think of who else is with Zanni, and I completely forgot about them so thank you for mentioning that!
Orihara/Pirinen (and Turkkila/Versluis) train with Maurizio Margaglio in Helsinki. I think Zanni just helped with the choreo, judging from Wiki/ISU bios.

Interestingly Zanni used to work with Barbara Fusar-Poli. It's nice to see Italians becoming influential again in ice dance!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I am going for Belinda Noonan and Mark Hanrety for the best two co-annoncers of figure skating broadcast.

I dont call them commentating couple because they are not couple at all.
But for the first time this was pretty good.

Belinda is so on the point with every camera catch of the event. Ok, I don't undestand her like 1/3 times because her Australian pronnounciation, but from all I understand it's hard to disagree with her. In depth knowledge of figure skating. You can see she knows all the details of top ISU events she never commentated that you understand she was passionate watcher. She knows her balance between proper admiratation and proper criticism.

Mark is so knowledgable of figure skating behind the scene and so prepared. She is also figure skating nerd with very on-the-point comments without need to excaberate any skater or thing that happened. But yeah, because of Scottish accent, I also don't undestand him all the time. But he is improving every competition .
Believe me, Belinda has cleaned up her Aussie accent between Olympics.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Believe me, Belinda has cleaned up her Aussie accent between Olympics.
At least it's a genuine Aussie accent, there are few things more painful and guaranteed to drive us to drink than what Hollywood fondly thinks sounds 'Authentically Aussie'...

PS - and one more award. Yuzuru for the most beautiful and perfect-for-the-score costume of all time (as my beloved Haku.) Fact.

JimR

On the Ice
Best tournament: Russian Challenge

Best coverage: 1st Channel

Best coach: Eteri Tutberitze

Best skater: Kamila Valieva. Just edges out Akatieva and Petrosian based on incredible consistency across the entire season.

Best performance: Kamila Valieva free skate at Russian National -- 170 pts!

Best demonstration: Kamila Valieva's Wednesday. 11 million views on Youtube from one video alone. No other skater has ever brought more positive attention to the sport.

Best jump: Kamila Valieva 4T

Best comeback: Kamila Valieva. By the end of the season she not only recovered her 4T but it has become the most stable jump in the world. 3A also recovered in training, now aiming to recover her 4S for next season. With all the pressure she was under it would be easy to walk away or make excuses, but she didn't stop fighting. What a champion!

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Hey, guys, this thread is supposed to be subjective and not completely serious. So, let's not argue, like, seriously, please! :slink:

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You are right and I apologise, and will delete my negative post (so people, please note Anna's post was meant quite rightly for me).

Last edited: