2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP

leafygreens

Final Flight
Squabbling over point totals aside, I can't disagree with the placement order.

First, I think that we can drop the "blonde" from the "Little girls in pretty boxes" syndrome. Of the 7 U.S. Olympic champions, only Tara Lipinski was blonde (sort of). What that book ("Little girls in pretty boxes" by Joan Ryan) was about, by the way, is a criticism of the gymnastics and figure skating establishments for insisting that the girls have essentially boys bodies, and that as soon as they develop breasts and hips, they are thrown on the trash heap to suffer with anorexia. Anyway, I think that the classic U.S. figure skating star is more the all-American girl next door (Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill) than the Disney Princess.

I remember in 1992 that people raised the point that Kristi Yamaguchi did not rake in the same financial benefits (from endorsements, etc.) as previous Olympic gold medallists had, especially Dorothy Hamill. Kristi being Asian American meant that she did not fit sponsers' profile so well.

However, times change. If anything, nowadays ladies' figure skating in the U.S. is perceived as essentially an Asian American sport. Mirai certainly would have been America's skating sweetheart if she had won in 2010 -- she was anyway, based on her 4th place "Carmen's little sister" performance. Now Mirai is too old to be a little girl in a pretty box. But Karen would certainly become be skating's darling, if not America's ("America" doesn't have darlings any more. They have women athletes who kick butt. :) )

Just my opinion, of course.
Good analysis. The book title is probably where the princess myth comes from. And a little from that Tonya vs. Nancy, Athletic vs. Graceful narrative years ago. The funny thing is, I never thought Nancy was that graceful. It was just a way for the media to pit them against each other.

It's weird that some skaters still have endorsements in spades over other skaters. Maybe two years ago it was ok when they were sort of performing, but not anymore when others have surpassed them. Karen is coming out with a book but that's all I've heard of.

Lynn clarified in subsequent tweets that Ashley said that in response to a question about whether her PCS were low in part because judges were too familiar with Hip Hip. She didn't just bring it up out of the blue.
Backpedaling. Ashley is not goaded into talking about anything she doesn't want to. She wouldn't even talk about her quad strain before Worlds. Why mention changing the program unless it's serious? A hail Mary for sure. Pick her for the team, and it'll go a lot better, she promises! It's desperate.

Too familiar? If they’re not going to punish Yuzuru for having his SP for three seasons, they should punish Ashley either.
She shouldn't be penalized because the judges have seen her program before. But apparently, she was.
Not punished for reusing a program, but for not skating that program well.

Uh, this kind of floored me: "I think every brilliant mind is a little crazy." Sorry, but I just don't see how to read this in a way that doesn't sound narcissistic.
Well others have made such comments, even worse, for years. It has been branded "refreshing." I'm not sure why Mirai can't reap the same compliments for her confidence. I love seeing a spark in her eyes instead of that woe is me look from years past.

I wish they presented the women as athletes who kick butt, but for some reason they seem to want a coltish blonde Disney princess story each Olympics. It isn't Bradie's fault that NBC is pushing this narrative and, although it is to her benefit right now, I think it can be harmful to her in the long run.
Was Bradie not the best? If there were truly a push for blond girls then why didn't Amber and Polina rank higher? I think people are offended that Bradie skates joyfully which somehow gets twisted into "juniorish princess." There is nothing wrong with being a princess anyway, as long as she delivers.

How does a fall get you a bronze in Sochi, exactly?
When one of the above competitor's placements appears to be illegitimate, due to corrupt judging and possible drug test tampering. Even though the official case is closed, it's a situation of quickly brushing it under the rug rather than a public exoneration. So rightly, many fans are going to be concerned in perpetuity.

ask

Match Penalty
Even when I think Karen has the best skating skills and most polished US girl, if Angela got the bronze over Karen, Angela should be the one going to the Olympics.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Based on the way Weir/Lipinski were commentating, I wonder if the figure skating politics/people are against Ashley going to the olympics. This is not meant to take away from the other skaters at all. Looking forward to the long program.

Go Mirai!!!

Can you believe my boyfriend called Tara a bitch when she talked about Ashley’s star fading?

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
After reading many previous posts, this has just occurred to me... Assuming Bradie and Mirai finish gold and silver (in whatever order)...what do we think the committee will do if Angela wins the bronze at Nationals? (And let's say Ashley places 4th and Karen places 5th.) Do we think they would send Ashley? What if it is Ashley who finishes 5th, and Karen 4th, do we think they would send Karen instead?.

This seems right on point. It’s fairly obvious USFSA has no intention of sending Ashley AND Karen. They may take neither, but they won’t take both.

Ashley's tenuous position should be a warning to Karen, too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
When one of the above competitor's placements appears to be illegitimate, due to corrupt judging and possible drug test tampering. Even though the official case is closed, it's a situation of quickly brushing it under the rug rather than a public exoneration. So rightly, many fans are going to be concerned in perpetuity.

I liked Gracie and thought she actually did better than expected at the Olympics...... but her PCS going up from 61.89 for a clean FS in the team event to a 68.33 for the same FS with a fall was some shady business to the max. She did not deserve the podium over Sotnikova/Kim/Kostner, and with the same PCS as the team event she would have been behind Lipnitskaia and if she had gotten lower PCS in her individual FS with a fall compared to a clean team FS, she could have even been behind Mao.

She was 11 points off of bronze, and 19 points from gold. All the corrupt judging in the world wouldn't have gotten her a medal. Even outside of Russia she would and should have lost to Sotnikova, and definitely to Kim/Kostner who were clean and way more artistic.

geige

On the Ice
Honestly it looks like Mirai’s -3T is split among the usual Mirai bashers and the non-bashers. BTW it’s clean and I don’t know or understand how you could see otherwise.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easy. The head of USFS will say:

Ms Tennell and Ms Nagasu will represent our country at the Olympics. Please give them an applause.
Now, will the following girls step forward please.
Ms Wang, step forward.
Ms Chen, step forward.
Ms Wagner, step forward.
You three girls will go to 4CC and skate your skates off. The girl with the best result will take the third spot.
I saw that tongue-sticking, Ms Wagner. You best behave and don't give me none of that "4CC is not my thing" stuff.
You want to go the Olympics? You go to the 4CC first. If Ms Miyahara and Ms Sakamoto are willing to go, you can go too.

I don't think that will happen. If Angela is third and Ashley is fourth, they will send Ashley. She has a bronze on the GP and was in the top ten at Worlds. Did Angela even skate on the GP? BTW, Ashley won 4CC's in 2012, beating Mao Asada.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I can watch Bradie all day long because she doesn’t make me anxious. I think posters are underestimating how much skill and art it takes to do that. I like that she’s humble, too. Doesn’t grandstand, stays in her own box in this difficult Olympic season.

I’m really getting fed up with the grandiosity of several of the women skaters. They seem to be overemphasizing their importance to the world.

I don't think that will happen. If Angela is third and Ashley is fourth, they will send Ashley.

I agree. Of the possible outcomes to the free skate tomorrow, this is the only one where I think the USFSA would go with anyone but the three medalists.

And for that matter, Mirai hasn't sealed the deal yet. (Fingers crossed.)

kimi492

Final Flight
Last night for the ladies SP I got my mom to finally watch skating with me - she has not watched skating since the 90s and maybe the early 2000s olympics - so I was really interested to hear what she thought of this crop of girls. This probably interests no one but me (lol) but I thought I’d post some of her thoughts here anyways:
She absolutely loved Emmy Ma - said she could tell she felt the music deeply and I quote “that girl is going to be somebody”; Thought Mariah had the “whole package”; Talked a lot about costumes lol Liked Mirai’s dress the best also was so upset when Mirai messed up the triple axel it surprised me - said how easy and beautiful the one she did in warm up looked; she really did not like Bradie Tennell at all - I won’t put everything she said but overall hated her arm movement and didn’t like her artistry at all lol I’m putting it a lot nicer than what she actually said LOL

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Easy. The head of USFS will say:

Ms Tennell and Ms Nagasu will represent our country at the Olympics. Please give them an applause.
Now, will the following girls step forward please.
Ms Wang, step forward.
Ms Chen, step forward.
Ms Wagner, step forward.
You three girls will go to 4CC and skate your skates off. The girl with the best result will take the third spot.
I saw that tongue-sticking, Ms Wagner. You best behave and don't give me none of that "4CC is not my thing" stuff.
You want to go the Olympics? You go to the 4CC first. If Ms Miyahara and Ms Sakamoto are willing to go, you can go too.

Genius idea. It comes down to commitment, hard work, skill, and preparedness.

And right now, only Wang seems to command all 4 of those factors.In 2 weeks, or whenever 4 CCs rolls around, this is likely to be the case, too.

jimini

On the Ice
I can watch Bradie all day long because she doesn’t make me anxious. I think posters are underestimating how much skill and art it takes to do that. I like that she’s humble, too. Doesn’t grandstand, stays in her own box in this difficult Olympic season.
It's refreshing to see someone who doesn't make me nearly have a heart attack every time she skates! Her packaging could use some work, sure, but if she goes to Olympics and finishes top 10 I could see her packaging ending up being significantly better next year.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. Of the possible outcomes to the free skate tomorrow, this is the only one where I think the USFSA would go with anyone but the three medalists.

And for that matter, Mirai hasn't sealed the deal yet. (Fingers crossed.)

Yes, Mirai has to bring it. She was in the top three after the short last year, wasn't she? She ended up in fourth. Right now, she does have some breathing room because she is around 4 points ahead of Karen and 8 ahead of Ashley. Whatever happens with her 3A, she needs to skate the rest of her program clean.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai landed the 3A abruptly, on two feet, then stepped out of it and put a hand down. It was a hot mess. A jump must be landed on ONE foot to be completely rotated. Mirai's 3A was not, yet the tech team let her have it anyway. That is not fair to skaters who DID fully rotate and land their jumps, as well as unfair to skaters who URd their jumps and got gigged for it.

If Mirai gets uncalled URs in her FS and wins over a clean Bradie, that will be a HUGE scandal. It won't help Mirai at the Olympics in the long run, because international tech teams haven't been kind to her when it comes to URs, especially on her 3As. Most of her 3As have not been ratified internationally.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bradie reminds me a bit of Sarah Hughes in 2000. You could see that she was going to be great but, she just wasn't quite ready for the big time. She improved and took the Bronze at Worlds in 2001 and we all know what happened in SLC. If Bradie wins this year, I don't have big expectations for her in Korea or at Worlds. If she can finish in the top 10 at either event, I think that will be a huge accomplishment. I think she's another season away from being a threat internationally.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I don't think that will happen. If Angela is third and Ashley is fourth, they will send Ashley. She has a bronze on the GP and was in the top ten at Worlds. Did Angela even skate on the GP? BTW, Ashley won 4CC's in 2012, beating Mao Asada.

Season's best:
183.94 (Ashley) 3rd @ Skate Canada
183.85 (Angela) 4th @ Finlandia

Not too much difference there. Angela was not invited to Worlds or GP. 2012 does not count this year. Supposedly they do a consistency graph to show how they performed over the past year. If they did that then Ashley's was high a year ago and plummeted now. Angela had a 160 at Talinn so hers would go down as well. If they are close in points then it would probably go to Ashley by virtue of her BOW. If Angela knocks it out of the park (like a 10-20 point difference between 3rd/4th) then I'd give it to Angela.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Considering your screen name and avatar, I find it hysterical that you are venomously critical of a technically proficient and consistent skater for being artistically uninspiring.

Thanks for the laughs.

I don't get what's funny. Zhenya is exceptionally musical and can sell a program. I don't find her "artistically uninspiring" in the least. Maybe it would be funny if I did? Maybe that's the joke. No clue. I see no comparison between Bradie and Zhenya stylistically.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Exactly. Whoever gets chosen for the Olympics, the other three from the top 6 are going to 4CC. Although what original poster suggests sounds great for build up and drama.

However.

Not only were Japanese nationals two weeks ago, but there is also much less travel time from Japan/S. Korea/Australia to Taipei and back than there is from the US. Not to mention time zones. I really can't imagine USFS sending same skaters to 4CC and the Olympics, especially not to skate in the team event.

However, the 3rd skater selected to the US women's team is not going to be competitive, so it might not really matter who they pick in a 4 CC skate off. Besides, the selected skater would be demonstrating superior conditioning and readiness, just by out-skating the other two.

Plus, rank at 4 CCs is already one of USFSAs selection criteria: no legal drama. In fact, maybe USFSA had already determined a skate-off at 4 CCs should be a possibility before it wrote the Olympic selection rules.

It would be awesome to get a 4CCs skate-off...It would also turn 4CCs into a majorly-hyped event. The advertising revenues would go through the roof.

Genius idea all round....

MiRé

Match Penalty
I don't get what's funny. Zhenya is exceptionally musical and can sell a program. I don't find her "artistically uninspiring" in the least. Maybe it would be funny if I did? Maybe that's the joke. No clue. I see no comparison between Bradie and Zhenya stylistically.

I hope you're joking.