2009-2010 Programs by Discipline | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2009-2010 Programs by Discipline

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Davis - White new FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUq6XEsQ_0

They look in a really great shape and show incredible ability and speed, but this program is a waste of talent to me. No surprise. No emotional impact. No story. Phantom is not for figure skating, or at least not for Ice dance or Pairs.

Thank you for the link, Giulia :thumbsup:
It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. That 'no hands' lift is innovative and stuff. It's just that, IMO, Meryl & Charlie have 'been there and done that'. I thought they were ready to move up to a next level. Apperently S & Z think otherwise.

lmarie086

Medalist
It's just that, IMO, Meryl & Charlie have 'been there and done that'. I thought they were ready to move up to a next level. Apperently S & Z think otherwise.

ITA. I really, really think they (and V/M for that matter) are capable of so much more than what Sphilband and Zoueva have given them. I think they're beyond that now.
I hope both teams can get outside choreography next season, if they don't go to new coaches first. I really think it's nearing that point though.

As for me, I do think their POTO has room to grow. But there needs to be more innovation and spirit in the choreography here. I'd like to see it developed more, and the beginning and ending a little less frantic.

yoyoyogi

Rinkside
Davis and White

I like the choreography but the music is distractingly bad.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds as the season progresses
but maybe with the "mute" button on.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Somebody please get the Zaretskis away from Galit Chait. Not only are they doing Hava Nagila as an OD, according to their ISU bio, their FD is Schindler's List. I get that they went to reprsent Israel and Jewish culture, I'm all for that - but there are better music choices if that's what they want to express. Can't they work on something with an Israeli musician?

Last edited:

efreedman

On the Ice
Davis and White

When I heard they were skating to POTO, my heart sank! I also remember watching their FD from last year and thinking that it was such a beautiful program with such emotional impact, were Shpilband and Zoueva going to be able to top that? I also wondered if S&Z were setting up a trap for D&W, giving them their best during a non-Olympic year, while short-changing them when they need a great program the most.

I haven't seen V&M's program yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were favored both in terms of choice of music and choreography.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
I haven't seen V&M's program yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were favored both in terms of choice of music and choreography.

Yeah but the difference is that V/M know how to project and can actually be expressive without over-emoting or pulling faces. D/W just look like they follow Marina's instructions from each and every element, even the non-required ones. But their program is skated well especially so early on in the season, and their lifts are a huge improvement.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqH6TIWiH8

Davis/White's new OD.
Other than Meryl's costume, I don't really like the program. It does manage to pick up some energy at the end, but it was not that impressive. And I hope they change the ending pose. I think it looks awful!

They definitely had better material for the OD and FD last year.

life684

Final Flight
ha. nice to see something new. interesting movment. lifts are bleh. funky twizzles and last lift. fun program. i hope to see them look...more settled and comfortable

That is a promising program, but lots of work needs to be done in coming months to make the program a fighting chance for a medal.

They could face some trouble especially since all three sections of music are Bollywood songs, and it can be labelled a Bollywood dance rather than a folk dance. I guess they have looked into the rules or found a dance that fits the billing (after all there are a zillion folk dances in India)

I have to say he needs sort his hair colour. There are 1.1 billion indians but that colour won't be found naturally in any Indian.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I hope that a "normal" flamenco (with long red costume and "killer" latin glances) by Virtue - Moir doesn't score higher than a beautiful Indian/Bollywood dance. :love:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Yeah but the difference is that V/M know how to project and can actually be expressive without over-emoting or pulling faces. D/W just look like they follow Marina's instructions from each and every element, even the non-required ones. But their program is skated well especially so early on in the season, and their lifts are a huge improvement.

I think the program isn't skated well at all - it's regressed from where they were at the end of last season.

None of these skaters are the frankstein's monsters of their coaches. D/W are athletic and expression and musicality for that matter is "learned" by them. It is going to come out rote. A lot of this is genuinely on the skaters as much as the coaches. Meryl said she and Charlie listened to a lot of music and decided on POTO. It's difficult to design an "organic" program without the qualities in your skaters leading you. D/W always seem to be skaters who are interested in the technical side of their programs without feeling the music side. I believe if they felt the music side more some of their movement would be less sloppy.

V/M came to Marina and Igor with their current facility for natural expression and an innate ability to dance.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I hope that a "normal" flamenco (with long red costume and "killer" latin glances) by Virtue - Moir doesn't score higher than a beautiful Indian/Bollywood dance. :love:
You know what - this is not a program design audition. Skating is judged. Based on the video V/M have nothing to worry about from D/W on skating basis alone.