2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 264 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
what new seniors will we have to look forward to next season? Isabeau, yes. what about Clare?

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Does anyone know where to find video from this season's U.S. Junior Nationals?

It doesn't look like it's on Peacock and I'm not finding much on YouTube. I'm specifically looking for the Womens SP.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know where to find video from this season's U.S. Junior Nationals?

It doesn't look like it's on Peacock and I'm not finding much on YouTube. I'm specifically looking for the Womens SP.
I think we are out of luck on Junior Nats since nowhere else broadcast them. I’d be pleased to discover I’m wrong though.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
I think we are out of luck on Junior Nats since nowhere else broadcast them. I’d be pleased to discover I’m wrong though.

That's terrible. I can't even find any content from the competition available for purchase on the USFS website.

Why are the powers-that-be insistent on burying our sport?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's terrible. I can't even find any content from the competition available for purchase on the USFS website.

Why are the powers-that-be insistent on burying our sport?
No, they wouldn’t sell it there, because it’s available exclusively on Peacock. If someone tells me who to complain to at USFS I’ll do it. I don’t think Peacock is super worried about whether we leave and take out 4.99 with us.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
How does burying our sport make money? The poster is willing to buy content (pay again for what they have already paid for). No one will take their money.
It's a question of investment or the lack of interest in doing so.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a question of investment or the lack of interest in doing so.
I don’t understand your statement. I’m sorry. If I had a product people were willing to pay for, I’d make it available to them. That’s how I’d make money.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t understand your statement. I’m sorry. If I had a product people were willing to pay for, I’d make it available to them. That’s how I’d make money.
If there are only a few people willing to pay, and it costs money to produce the product (which it does), then you can lose money by selling it for less than it costs to produce.

The JGP is a case in point; the ISU couldn't sell the broadcast/streaming rights because nobody thought the revenue they could take in would exceed the costs (or at least not by enough to be worth the trouble of doing it). The ISU set up its Youtube channel and paid the costs of streaming the JGP. They probably get revenue from ads on Youtube, but not enough to cover the costs. They do it as a service to the skaters and to help build an audience for its money-making competitions.

USFS could (arguably should) do the same for its un-sellable competitions.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... The JGP is a case in point; the ISU couldn't sell the broadcast/streaming rights because nobody thought the revenue they could take in would exceed the costs (or at least not by enough to be worth the trouble of doing it). The ISU set up its Youtube channel and paid the costs of streaming the JGP. They probably get revenue from ads on Youtube, but not enough to cover the costs. They do it as a service to the skaters and to help build an audience for its money-making competitions.

For years, USFS already has been doing something similar.

On USFS Fan Zone, free video is available of lower-profile USFS competition, such as Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile, Collegiate, Adult.
Junior competition from U.S. Challenge Skate too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there are only a few people willing to pay, and it costs money to produce the product (which it does), then you can lose money by selling it for less than it costs to produce.

The JGP is a case in point; the ISU couldn't sell the broadcast/streaming rights because nobody thought the revenue they could take in would exceed the costs (or at least not by enough to be worth the trouble of doing it). The ISU set up its Youtube channel and paid the costs of streaming the JGP. They probably get revenue from ads on Youtube, but not enough to cover the costs. They do it as a service to the skaters and to help build an audience for its money-making competitions.

I see where you’re going.

USFS does do the same for the lower level (below Junior) competitions and adult competitions.

Junior competitions are supposed to be available exclusively on Peacock and I guess they were, but they aren’t now.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
I see where you’re going.

USFS does do the same for the lower level (below Junior) competitions and adult competitions.

Junior competitions are supposed to be available exclusively on Peacock and I guess they were, but they aren’t now.

That's sort of what I was getting at. USFS should have an agreement in place with Peacock that any competitions Peacock isn't hosting, USFS is allowed to host themselves.

If Peacock doesn't want to put the time and effort into keeping past U.S. Junior National footage available, then that footage should be turned over to USFS so that they can host it themselves.

It doesn't make sense to simply bury the footage and make it entirely unavailable.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's sort of what I was getting at. USFS should have an agreement in place with Peacock that any competitions Peacock isn't hosting, USFS is allowed to host themselves.

If Peacock doesn't want to put the time and effort into keeping past U.S. Junior National footage available, then that footage should be turned over to USFS so that they can host it themselves.

It doesn't make sense to simply bury the footage and make it entirely unavailable.
After the lawsuit, Peacock pulled all past competitions down, which dated back to 2019. As well as there is no figure skating hub anymore. It’s my opinion that this is due to the lawsuit and not because they didn’t want to host them. But just try getting a straight answer from them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well lets hope Bradie comes back because even without the Russians the US is going to have a hard time staying relevant with Alysa done. She could have won a couple of more US titles at the least and dominated the US ladies field for a couple of more years. Karen is probably done as well Amber is unreliable Mariah is almost 26 and maxed out jump wise and was lucky to finish as high as she did at Worlds so hopefully the younger girls like Isabeau and Lindsay and whoever is still in Juniors will develop and get the experience they will need for the next 4 years.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...If Peacock doesn't want to put the time and effort into keeping past U.S. Junior National footage available, then that footage should be turned over to USFS so that they can host it themselves.

Side note that Fan Zone has free-of-charge video of all Junior competition from 2020 U.S. Nats, 2019 Nats, and 2018 Nats.
The only exceptions are 2019 Junior FD and 2019 Junior Pairs FS.

(Fan Zone also has all Senior competition video from 2020 Nats, except Senior FD.
And all Senior competition video from 2018 Nats.

Plus Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile for 2019 and 2018.)

I know that your original query was about Junior video from 2022 Nats.
But thought it was worth mentioning the availability of earlier years.

macy

Record Breaker
Sounds like the field might be pretty open next year, maybe its now Isabeaus to take.

I'm so sad Alysa is done. She really could have dominated the US women's field for several more years. Maybe someday she will change her mind, she's still young 🙂