Canadian Olympic Team Announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Canadian Olympic Team Announced

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the numbers don't lie, that is correct, however, SC is devastatingly reliable at failing to plan for the future - everyone is very well aware of the fact that this cycle is not a strong one, we don't have the depth of talent. What we do have though is kids that can skate now and use the experience as a building block for the future. SC consistently chooses their poster children and doesn't invest in the "red-headed step-children" - it's a flaw that regularly bites them in the rear. If they would invest in skaters for the future then maybe we'd have a more consistent presence.
fair enough, but i don't think there is much of a future with Evelyn and Trennt. I have watched their 2018 Nationals... there is not much progress to be seen for 4 years : their lifts were simpler back then and they did a double axel but the rest looked pretty much the same.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the numbers don't lie, that is correct, however, SC is devastatingly reliable at failing to plan for the future - everyone is very well aware of the fact that this cycle is not a strong one, we don't have the depth of talent. What we do have though is kids that can skate now and use the experience as a building block for the future. SC consistently chooses their poster children and doesn't invest in the "red-headed step-children" - it's a flaw that regularly bites them in the rear. If they would invest in skaters for the future then maybe we'd have a more consistent presence.

But the thing is, W/M are in their 4th senior season. never placing higher than 5th in any GP, and 12th in both appearances at Worlds. In just one season together J/R have better results than W/M ever had, including a senior international medal -- and that's something that is based on J/R's hard work and performances and W/M's inability to get better results. Not to be harsh to W/M, but I think there are better prospects for the future of Canadian pairs skating and the experience of getting to go to the Olympics wouldn't give W/M a more robust career.

If anything it might make them retire early having achieved that goal. If J/R and M-T/M are good to go to the Olympics and W/M don't go, Skate Canada might get 4 more years out of them (they're only 20 and 25) in which they can actually show if they are an Olympics worthy team instead of merely getting to go because another Canadian team (M-T/M) placed high enough to acquire the additional Olympic spot.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly, James skating for Canada was a joy for me. I adore her. In fact, Canadians are the only fed that picked exactly the same skaters that I want to see! I love our fed! šŸ
my thoughts? there was a lot of banter about James and Radford's pairing at the beginning... with how the season was evolving, less and less people were saying it would be unfair to Evelyn and Trennt because their level just wasn't there.... but they wouldn't skip the occasion of complaining as soon as J/R would give them the opportunity... This is not about Evelyn and Trennt's performance at National that, in my opinion was not even that great, this is just about people not wanting J/R on the team from day 1. I had a lukewarm reaction when they paired up... I didn't like what Meagan had to say, but you can read my posts about it... olympic spots are earned and not given to the nice people because we like them... i always said that Evelyn and Trennt would have to convince me they are the better team and I was very dubious they would do so... I believe Canada sent their best pairs to the games and this is how it should be done.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But the thing is, W/M are in their 4th senior season. never placing higher than 5th in any GP, and 12th in both appearances at Worlds. In just one season together J/R have better results than W/M ever had, including a senior international medal -- and that's something that is based on J/R's hard work and performances and W/M's inability to get better results. Not to be harsh to W/M, but I think there are better prospects for the future of Canadian pairs skating and the experience of getting to go to the Olympics wouldn't give W/M a more robust career.

If anything it might make them retire early having achieved that goal. If J/R and M-T/M are good to go to the Olympics and W/M don't go, Skate Canada might get 4 more years out of them (they're only 20 and 25) in which they can actually show if they are an Olympics worthy team instead of merely getting to go because another Canadian team (M-T/M) placed high enough to acquire the additional Olympic spot.
I don't think E/T will skate 4 more years. Brooke and Benjamin are already showing much better promise than them... Deanna and Maxime are stronger too, though they have some kinks to fix... and personally, if Lori-Ann and Thierry could get more consistent, I think they have much higher potential. They already have a better, more competitive layout, better throws and lifts.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
my thoughts? there was a lot of banter about James and Radford's pairing at the beginning... with how the season was evolving, less and less people were saying it would be unfair to Evelyn and Trennt because their level just wasn't there.... but they wouldn't skip the occasion of complaining as soon as J/R would give them the opportunity... This is not about Evelyn and Trennt's performance at National that, in my opinion was not even that great, this is just about people not wanting J/R on the team from day 1. I had a lukewarm reaction when they paired up... I didn't like what Meagan had to say, but you can read my posts about it... olympic spots are earned and not given to the nice people because we like them... i always said that Evelyn and Trennt would have to convince me they are the better team and I was very dubious they would do so... I believe Canada sent their best pairs to the games and this is how it should be done.
Well, I was never invested in T/M, and when I/B fell apart after the promising start, I was pretty sad, because I love pairs the most, but Canadian ones don't really do it for me. But James... with that terrible story, I was so heart-broken she would be out of competition, and anyone bringing her back is my personal hero, non-withstanding anything else. I only started watching skating in 2018, so I didn't have a chance to get attached to Duhamel. But I had adored James on first sight.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think E/T will skate 4 more years. Brooke and Benjamin are already showing much better promise than them... Deanna and Maxime are stronger too, though they have some kinks to fix... and personally, if Lori-Ann and Thierry could get more consistent, I think they have much higher potential. They already have a better, more competitive layout, better throws and lifts.
Deanna is 38 and it's astonishing that she is active (and is now a Canadian nationals medalist to go with being a US nationals multi-medalist!). Although if anyone can stick around 4 more years it's theherm.

I also think Lori-Ann and Thierry can be a strong pair over the next couple years.

The problem with W/M is that in the past quadrennial there hasn't been anyone to push them/challenge them for the other Worlds spot, so they haven't really challenged themselves enough to be a top 10 worthy team.

They beat Ruest/Wolfe by 21 points in 2019, they beat Iliuscheckina/Bilodeau by 10 points in 2020 (this was about the peak of their ability before they started to regress), and in the 2022 nationals they beat Stellato/Deschamps by a comfortable 8 points.... with a score 10 points less than their Nationals best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Deanna is 38 and it's astonishing that she is active (and is now a Canadian nationals medalist to go with being a US nationals multi-medalist!). Although if anyone can stick around 4 more years it's theherm.

I also think Lori-Ann and Thierry can be a strong pair over the next couple years.

The problem with W/M is that in the past quadrennial there hasn't been anyone to push them/challenge them for the other Worlds spot, so they haven't really challenged themselves enough to be a top 10 worthy team.

They beat Ruest/Wolfe by 21 points in 2019, they beat Iliuscheckina/Bilodeau by 10 points in 2020 (this was about the peak of their ability before they started to regress), and in the 2022 nationals they beat Stellato/Deschamps by a comfortable 8 points.... with a score 10 points less than their Nationals best.
see.. i am not interested about results so much but about work and progress... if Meagan and Eric had thought : hey! we are the best in Canada, we can just keep doing the same thing over and over, they would not have tried to raise their level, not just with those quads but also in terms of choreography and presentation... They kept working like beasts... and that was needed to compete with the Russian/Chinese+ Savchenko. You cannot blame the stagnation of a team based on the fact that pairs had their issues in the recent cycle. A coach has to have vision. Athletes need to project themselves. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering Covid and lack of training etc... BUT I am not willing to jump on the wuzrobbed wagon... They do not have what it takes to represent Canada's long tradition in pairs at the Olympic, especially since two pairs may be needed for the team event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Honestly, James skating for Canada was a joy for me. I adore her. In fact, Canadians are the only fed that picked exactly the same skaters that I want to see! I love our fed! šŸ
And here's the tea, not only did J/R perform better than W/M which is the most important determinant... but let's be honest, Canadian pairs skating as of late has been stale as heck, and James/Radford injects excitement into the Canadian team.

Former World medalists and GPF gold medalists, a diverse team, beautiful skating, and the ability to crack 70/130? Also, until Nationals, M-T/M had been having a REALLY lacklustre season, so we were hungry for any hopeful performances/results and J/R were giving us just that.

So frrom a PR standpoint, Walsh/Michaud didn't really have a chance - and the competition results sealed it. Not that I'm saying this should decide the Olympic team but the Olympics are also a pageant let's remember... and W/M are, for lack of a better word, basic compared to J/R.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And here's the tea, not only did J/R perform better than W/M which is the most important determinant... but let's be honest, Canadian pairs skating as of late has been stale as heck, and James/Radford injects excitement into the Canadian team.

Former World medalists and GPF gold medalists, a diverse team, beautiful skating, and the ability to crack 70/130? Also, until Nationals, M-T/M had been having a REALLY lacklustre season, so we were hungry for any hopeful performances/results and J/R were giving us just that.

So frrom a PR standpoint, Walsh/Michaud didn't really have a chance - and the competition results sealed it. Not that I'm saying this should decide the Olympic team but the Olympics are also a pageant let's remember... and W/M are, for lack of a better word, basic compared to J/R.
They absolutely do! I know that diversity works in their favour as well and thatā€™s a good thing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
see.. i am not interested about results so much but about work and progress... if Meagan and Eric had thought : hey! we are the best in Canada, we can just keep doing the same thing over and over, they would not have tried to raise their level, not just with those quads but also in terms of choreography and presentation... They kept working like beasts... and that was needed to compete with the Russian/Chinese+ Savchenko. You cannot blame the stagnation of a team based on the fact that pairs had their issues in the recent cycle. A coach has to have vision. Athletes need to project themselves. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering Covid and lack of training etc... BUT I am not willing to jump on the wuzrobbed wagon... They do not have what it takes to represent Canada's long tradition in pairs at the Olympic, especially since two pairs may be needed for the team event.

D/R's goals were different though. They pushed themselves technically because they wanted to be the best internationally. D/R are also a special breed and we can't expect all teams to commit so hard to leveling up their game.

But I never got the feeling from W/M that they wanted to be the best nationally. The margin between them and M-T/M keeps getting bigger at Nationals instead of them closing the gap, and this year while another silver was IMO a setback for them where they did not showcase their best. And there isn't anyone to chase them.

Agreed that Covid affects things for sure, but W/M just weren't prepared nor did they have the hunger they had previously. I think if they had a crystal ball and knew James/Radford would be teaming up, they may have committed themselves to earning better results... but tbh, I don't think it would have made a difference because J/R easily outscored W/M's personal best and W/M would have needed to really level up instead of taking a step back.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
D/R's goals were different though. They pushed themselves technically because they wanted to be the best internationally. D/R are also a special breed and we can't expect all teams to commit so hard to leveling up their game.

But I never got the feeling from W/M that they wanted to be the best nationally. The margin between them and M-T/M keeps getting bigger at Nationals instead of them closing the gap, and this year while another silver was IMO a setback for them where they did not showcase their best. And there isn't anyone to chase them.

Agreed that Covid affects things for sure, but W/M just weren't prepared nor did they have the hunger they had previously. I think if they had a crystal ball and knew James/Radford would be teaming up, they may have committed themselves to earning better results... but tbh, I don't think it would have made a difference because J/R easily outscored W/M's personal best and W/M would have needed to really level up instead of taking a step back.
Shouldn't all teams aspire to be the best and reach podiums? Outside of Nationals, WM have never stepped up on the International scene...
Just the song they used for their LP is prophetic.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They absolutely do! I know that diversity works in their favour as well and thatā€™s a good thing.
For sure. Of course these skaters earned it, but I'm happy to see there will be more openly LGBTQ+ representation like Poirier, Radford, Leduc (first non-binary winter Olympian!), Brown, Aymoz, Cizeron... and AFAIK Vanessa will be the only black figure skater at these Olympics?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For sure. Of course these skaters earned it, but I'm happy to see there will be more openly LGBTQ+ representation like Poirier, Radford, Leduc (first non-binary winter Olympian!), Brown, Aymoz, Cizeron... and AFAIK Vanessa will be the only black figure skater at these Olympics?
I donā€™t know if she is the only one, but she has the highest recognition from those who are going, I think.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

For sure - the PR machine for J/R was full force. I was excited for it because Canadian pairs skating has been rather bland since D/R.

Meagan is an incredible, decorated athlete, but the saltiness over Eric pursuing another Olympics instead of remaining her meal ticket (not that he handled the breakup ideally either, mind you) - I couldn't even with that.

James/Radford didn't rest on their laurels. They just needed to be better than Walsh/Michaud to make another Olympics, but they went above and beyond that, challenged for GP medals, won a CS medal, and were actually the best Canadian team internationally this season. For a while there it looked as though M-T/M would be the ones fighting off W/M for the 2nd spot.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For a while there it looked as though M-T/M would be the ones fighting off W/M for the 2nd spot.
That's what it always was and still is for me , as soon as I saw J/R stepping it up so quickly, ad as a matter of fact, MTM did earn their spot with a good performance at Nationals. WM's performance was enough for silver in a COVID depleted field... that's all it was, nothing more than that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's what it always was and still is for me , as soon as I saw J/R stepping it up so quickly, ad as a matter of fact, MTM did earn their spot with a good performance at Nationals. WM's performance was enough for silver in a COVID depleted field... that's all it was, nothing more than that.
Very that.

MTM did "earn" a spot with a 6th place finish at Worlds to get 2 spots (obviously the caveat being nobody is entitled to Olympic spots). But had J/R competing and won and MTM somehow came third, I could see Skate Canada still giving MTM a spot.

What MTM "earned" at Nationals was probably the ability to do a team segment because based on the season it looked like J/R (even with their inconsistencies) would be the better choice to do both the team SP and FS. I think giving the SP to J/R and the FS to MT/M seems suitable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Very that.

MTM did "earn" a spot with a 6th place finish at Worlds to get 2 spots (obviously the caveat being nobody is entitled to Olympic spots). But had J/R competing and won and MTM somehow came third, I could see Skate Canada still giving MTM a spot.

What MTM "earned" at Nationals was probably the ability to do a team segment because based on the season it looked like J/R (even with their inconsistencies) would be the better choice to do both the team SP and FS. I think giving the SP to J/R and the FS to MT/M seems suitable.
the SP is crucial so it's a toss up between MTM's solid toes or JR's better twist (usually).... I would pick JR for the SP as well as I feel the have a higher ceiling on GOEs and PCS. LP could be equivalent : I feel that MTM did much better at Nationals and it made me more at ease with their lifts and throws than earlier this season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the SP is crucial so it's a toss up between MTM's solid toes or JR's better twist (usually).... I would pick JR for the SP as well as I feel the have a higher ceiling on GOEs and PCS. LP could be equivalent : I feel that MTM did much better at Nationals and it made me more at ease with their lifts and throws than earlier this season.

J/R have the better SPs on the whole (they're the only ones to clear 70 internationally), and things like the twist are super important (although J/R have had issues with that themselves!). Hard to say though as J/R have also much better free skates this year too, consistently scoring above 120 and even as high as 130.83. In terms of making a play for bronze though, I think starting off with J/R is the better choice because PCS might help them secure higher spots.

If it was 2019-2020 MT/M for sure I'd put them in the SP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
J/R have the better SPs on the whole (they're the only ones to clear 70 internationally), and things like the twist are super important (although J/R have had issues with that themselves!). Hard to say though as J/R have also much better free skates this year too, consistently scoring above 120 and even as high as 130.83.

If it was 2019-2020 MT/M for sure I'd put them in the SP.
yup.. that's the issue too... but I am thinking that Skate Canada will be able to monitor the teams and make the best decision. Then, we will see if our teams are able to deliver.... Honestly, I am feeling at this point that everything should be invested in the SP as it is really the deciding factor for the team event... especially with the way the scoring works out.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
yup.. that's the issue too... but I am thinking that Skate Canada will be able to monitor the teams and make the best decision. Then, we will see if our teams are able to deliver.... Honestly, I am feeling at this point that everything should be invested in the SP as it is really the deciding factor for the team event... especially with the way they scoring works out.
Oh for sure. 100% put your best skaters in the SP, Skate Canada. Messing/Schizas/probably J+R/G+P.

TBH, I think Canada knows a medal is hard to get, and they already got team gold last time, so they'll share the love with their skaters and probably allow Messing and Sadovsky to do both segments, and split up pairs.