Kim's management team criticises judging at CoC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim's management team criticises judging at CoC

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Count me in as one of those who's been soured off of her. The bots are so demented it's hard to feel otherwise. I wasn't around during Michelle Kwan's heyday, but if her hardcore fans were this obnoxious, I can understand why many are turned off by MK.
:p

I was around and I was a hardcore fan of Michelle's ( I knew MK would come up sooner or later) but I never spamed a board defending her like what is happening here with YuNa. YuNa's fandom is much more organized and computer savy that us old timers. lol.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Count me in as one of those who's been soured off of her. The bots are so demented it's hard to feel otherwise. I wasn't around during Michelle Kwan's heyday, but if her hardcore fans were this obnoxious, I can understand why many are turned off by MK.

I completely agree. Before this season I loved Yuna Kim and wished her the best, but now because of these uberfans I've started to drift away from her. I wonder how they'll react when Asada eventually skates against her *shivers*.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I agree with you. Last year they were all over mao asada. I think she was said to feel like she was being picked on, but I dont remember much more than that. The squeaky wheel does not always get the oil. Especially in figure skating. She should be happy that she kicked everyones behind. I can't feel too sorry for someone as gifted as she is.

Yep. I remember reading articles about Mao not getting a -1 deduction for program interupption for regroup after her famous take off fall on the Axel. I think even if Mao get additional -1, Calorina will wound up winning the title and Mao will still edge out Yu Na for silver. I think the fans should just leave the judging to the judges as we all know this is figure skating. A little 'e' will not hurt Yuna at all even if all the rest of the skaters skate super clean and she is still capable of winning by a big margin.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I also think that SvetlanaInSeoul is not Korean nor Yu-Na's fan. He/She can write English but don't understand Korean. Furthermore, I have never seen the use of arrows like "The original Korean site↓" in Korean sites. I know some places in other countries where such usage is popular, but oh well... I just want to enjoy reading nice posts rather than being involved here.
I have the same suspicion as well. It seems obvious to me SvetlananInSeoul is anything but Korean and disguising as one to stir up trouble for Yu-Na.

While I strongly agree the Yu-Na bots who have registered recently have become annoying beyond words, I also can't ignore even more disgusting behavior from Mao bots disguising as a Yu-Na bot to make them look even worse. You'd be surprised the demographics of the skating forums. There are a ton more Japanese people logging on than Korean people.

At Golden Skate:
http://trends.google.com/websites?q...forum/index.php&date=all&geo=all&ctab=-1&sa=N
1. United States
2. Japan
3. Canada

At FSU:
http://trends.google.com/websites?q=www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
1. Japan
2. United States
3. Canada

Anyways, I'm fully expecting this idiotic cycle to reverse itself when Mao starts competing. Expect a lot of threads trashing Mao's technique and filled with replies from Mao bots defending her.

There is no right party, Yu-Na bots or Mao bots. They're both annoying as hell.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Before this season I loved Yuna Kim and wished her the best, but now because of these uberfans I've started to drift away from her. I wonder how they'll react when Asada eventually skates against her *shivers*.
I think sports fans ARE crazy. Last night I was walking my dog in the dark and suddenly heard a man screaming bloody murder. I was about to call the police when I remembered - oh yeah, football.

I don't object to the new super-ubers in principle, but I do find them obnoxious. Yet I don't want to discourage any skating fan. Both Japan and Korea have wonderful skating audiences and also contribute to bigger crowds in the USA (which we badly need). Sigh.... I just hope the rational folk and the mere ubers (who can also be obnoxious but don't descend into flaming matches) will keep speaking up so this board can stay mostly pleasant.

I agree with chuckm on the official protests of Yu Na's scores. Skaters have been hating and complaining about scoring forever but it's part of the game and they have to suck it up. It does annoy me, even though I know it's not her doing and she probably couldn't get her officials to stop if she tried. Let them call for a change in the rules or judging system and debate it in the ISU - not argue about a few points so Yu Na can be recognized as The Perfect One. It just seems like politics.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Presumeably IB sports is Yu-na Kim's agent, like IMG for many U.S. skaters. Their job is to beat the drum as loudly as possible, to get Kim's name in the papers, and especially to attract endorsement money for her. I wouldn't worry too much about what a public relations firm says.

:laugh: Then her agent is doing a helluva job. Getting a huge publicity in Korea where Kim gets most of her endorsement vs. annoying mostly her non-fans with an inane article, which, if not for the op whose sn suggests she resides in Seoul, most of us wouldn't even have bothered to read.

I completely agree. Before this season I loved Yuna Kim and wished her the best, but now because of these uberfans I've started to drift away from her.
Aw, don't let people who post silly stuff on message boards determine who you like and who you don't like.

:laugh: Then her agent is doing a helluva job.
I would say it the other way around. Her agents lucked out by having such a popular athlete as Kim fall serendipitously into their lap. All they have to do is sit back and count the money that rolls in. :)

I remember when Naomi Nari Nam did so well at U.S. Nationals at age 13. She got some big endorsements from Korean companies. She could have been a millionaire (maybe she is anyway) if she could have continued her career on that high note.

jeanettetan

On the Ice
When I say fans are being turned away from Kim, it is NOT because of Kim herself, but because of the words and actions of the Korean media and Kim uberfans.

Yu-Na Kim herself is not responsible for what is being said about her and her skating. IMO, she is a class act.

I agree with you. :rock: I just hope those people will stop all this nonsense.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I think the issue is that while the edge call may not be important now, it will be important when Yu-na faces Mao, Joannie, and possibly Kostner (depending on what Kostner) shows up.

Joannie is a beautiful skater, but I really doubt that Kim has to worry about her. Both Kim and Mao would have to mess up royally for ANY of the other ladies to beat either. Kostner has the best chance, because judges like her speed. Even so, she would have to be a her best, with failures from Mao AND Kim.

R.D.

Record Breaker
back to the topic at hand, it is not so much a criticism of the COC judging as it is a plea for consistent judging. :biggrin:

As for the Kim and Asada ubers....Folks, I think we have the second coming of the Kwan/Cohen fan nastiness on our hands. But I think this has the potential to top that. It helps that I don't care for either skater in the first place so nothing the ubers, or "bots" as they're being labeled, can change that. Let's hope, anyway. And let's keep things civil- I don't want 2003 to happen all over again. :no:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually it reminds me more of the Tara/Michelle wars... those were downright scary. though those were a bunch of young teens on both sides, not adults who should know better.

ks777

Record Breaker
the whole thing reminds me of the Apollo Ono and a korean skater incident. I can't remember how Apollo won the gold over a korean speed skater but the korean fans just went crazy and wanted to kill Apollo, I believe. I am kinda worried about Mao going to the GP finals in Korea. I remember Monica Seles getting stabbed by a Steffi Graf fan in Germany. I just hope something like that won't happen.

Andalusia

Final Flight
the whole thing reminds me of the Apollo Ono and a korean skater incident. I can't remember how Apollo won the gold over a korean speed skater but the korean fans just went crazy and wanted to kill Apollo, I believe. I am kinda worried about Mao going to the GP finals in Korea. I remember Monica Seles getting stabbed by a Steffi Graf fan in Germany. I just hope something like that won't happen.

I hadn't thought about that. I forgot the GPF is being held in Korea. Considering how these nuts are like, I hope Mao gets some adequate protection. If she lands two triple axels and true lutzes in the FS while Yu-Na is given the 'e' mark again on her flip, who knows what they might do. I'd suggest Tarasova get more than her fur coats to cover her up as well.

I don't think Mao will win, though. Considering how she's been overscored this season and that she's got home ground advantage, I expect Yu-Na to win unless she bombs big time. However, if Mao goes completely clean, the judges will have to be more laughable than usual to hand over the win to Yu-Na.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I can't believe that there are still people harping over this. Is the 'e' on the flip really important? She still left her competitors biting her dust. She still won her second gold medal and will be going to the Grand Prix Final. And this is CoC. Not the Worlds or Olympics!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I agree with chuckm on the official protests of Yu Na's scores. Skaters have been hating and complaining about scoring forever but it's part of the game and they have to suck it up. It does annoy me, even though I know it's not her doing and she probably couldn't get her officials to stop if she tried. Let them call for a change in the rules or judging system and debate it in the ISU - not argue about a few points so Yu Na can be recognized as The Perfect One. It just seems like politics.

But isn't the flip side of this - that we (or certainly I) spend a lot of my time b****nig and moaning about the judging system and the judges doing a poor job of marking what they see on the ice? If there has been a genuine error of judging then isn't it better that it get brought up and becomes high profile rather us all shurgging our shoulders and saying "typical" to each other?

Federations should make complaints if they percieve there has been an error. Like when a judge has input -2 where every other judge has given a +1 or +2. How else are mistakes rectified and/or judges asked to justify their marks. From my perspective these things supposedly happen behind closed doors, but since the errors keep coming it's obviously not working.

Ant

frozenhell

Rinkside
I can't believe that there are still people harping over this. Is the 'e' on the flip really important? She still left her competitors biting her dust. She still won her second gold medal and will be going to the Grand Prix Final. And this is CoC. Not the Worlds or Olympics!

Well, I will use political analogy. You are Obama and you are reading Hilrary by 25% in Iowa primary and all of sudden republicans strat throwing accusation that you are paling around terroists. Your gap between Hilrary shrinks because of that mud slinging but You still end up winning over Hilrary by 20% . Now will you stay silent about those accusation thrown by republicans simply because you still won landslide and it is just primary not a presidential election?

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Well, I will use political analogy. You are Obama and you are reading Hilrary by 25% in Iowa primary and all of sudden republicans strat throwing accusation that you are paling around terroists. Your gap between Hilrary shrinks because of that mud slinging but You still end up winning over Hilrary by 20% . Now will you stay silent about those accusation thrown by republicans simply because you still won landslide and it is just primary not a presidential election?

I am not saying that she should stay silent about it. I have no qualms with Brian Orser filing a complaint if he felt that the 'e' was unfair. That's speaking up. What I have a problem with, is the constant complaining and whining about it.

Wrlmy

Medalist
whole post

For someone calling others 'bots', your posts don't exactly show modicum of class or sound reasoning.
Yes, ignore what the athlete herself has to say about the matter, and base your opinion on what you deem stupid.
Or, is jumping at every opportunity to bash her on you agenda?

Andalusia

Final Flight
For someone calling others 'bots', your posts don't exactly show modicum of class or sound reasoning.
Yes, ignore what the athlete herself has to say about the matter, and base your opinion on what you deem stupid.
Or, is jumping at every opportunity to bash her on you agenda?

Don't drag me into it just because you're idiotic enough to be barking up the wrong tree. I have never cast any aspersions about Kim herself, either as a person or skater. I'm sure she's great in both departments. It's her bots that are pissing me off. And no, I wasn't being facetious in my previous post. I really do think harm could come to Mao if the conditions are exactly right for something like that to happen. People have mentioned the cases of Monica Seles and Apolo Anton Ohno. I really do think the most over-zealous Kim nuts are demented enough to want to hurt Mao if they feel it's justified. My thinking might be unfounded but, hey, people have been hurt for less in this crazy world we live in. And no, I don't think Kim herself is going to attack Mao with her skate blade while they're on the ice. Nor do I think she's been sweet-talking the judges into overscoring her this season. So, don't talk about me bashing her and how that is top priority on my agenda. It's the bots I have issue with, and they've succeeded in turning me off her. So yeah, I won't be rooting for Kim unless the bots simmer down, not that that matters to anyone. There's a whole lot of difference from thinking Kim herself is vile and deserves to be bashed.

If my posts are classless enough to bug you, don't read them. No skin off my back.