Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season?

I think practically any music can be skated to. I love Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel but I've never could imagined it in FS. But here it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm_FLTPmdQ

I. too, can't believe it. How can you "interpret" a song comprising nothing but whole note scales on a cello and left hand, with a repetitious ting ting ting right hand. (Don't get me wrong, I love the work. :love: )

But she did. Very nice performance.

You have a soft spot for Carmen though I can tell All this primitive passions yeah I can see the attraction for skaters.
You have a soft spot for Carmen though I can tell :) All this primitive passions yeah I can see the attraction for skaters.

That's what makes it such a good choice for young skaters. The emotions and story line are right out there in your face, no subtlety or introspection required. And the tunes are all dancy and whistle-able with choreography more or less obvious.

In a similar spirit, I don't see why an ice dance team would ever choose any other song than the Blue Danube. :yes:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So is Ave Maria, the workhorse. I think practically any music can be skated to. I love Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel but I've never could imagined it in FS. But here it was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm_FLTPmdQ

Then, that's just me since I've never been a big Mozart lover except dramatic pieces among his works. On the other hand, Schubert's Ave Maria is not sleep-inducing music to me, but some may feel otherwise.

As a side note, the skating style of Diana Pervushkina on the vid is very reminiscent of Leonova; solid at basics and presentation, but weak at jumps.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
As a side note, the skating style of Diana Pervushkinais on the vid is very reminiscent of Leonova; solid at basics and presentation, but weak at jumps.

I was impressed with her skating skills as well as taste in music. Definitely one to watch in the coming season. Rukavitsin & Mishin should join the forces -to balance technical & artistic.

That's what makes it such a good choice for young skaters. The emotions and story line are right out there in your face, no subtlety or introspection required. And the tunes are all dancy and whistle-able with choreography more or less obvious.

No worries so far we have two Carmen to look forward to this season - Ashley Cain & Kanako Murakami, sure more to come...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:laugh2:

Okay how about this: shortlisted candidates are to submit essays outlining why they are the best for the role. A special ISU committee to make a final decision...

My essay entitled: Why I deserve to be a tempestuous Spanish gypsy girl who seduces a naive army corporal, then drives him into a homicidal rage of jealousy when she dumps him for a bullfighter - more so than any other skater!"

:laugh2:

I'm convinced that a lot of people don't know the Carmen plotline, especially when 13 year old girls are skating to it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I. too, can't believe it. How can you "interpret" a song comprising nothing but whole note scales on a cello and left hand, with a repetitious ting ting ting right hand. (Don't get me wrong, I love the work. :love: )

But she did. Very nice performance.

i think the Pärt is great for skating. The cello notes provide great gliding material... the piano is reminiscent of moonlight sonata... so why not ?
i thought she used the music quite well

mrrice

Record Breaker
pop as opposed to classical music...

Well, kafka is certainly not Pop. I would consider it Jazz. It's like Tessa and Scotts "Cheek To Cheek" program. That was clearly a Jazz program. Would they still be allowed to do a program like that. Would the Shibs "Fix You" program be banned under the new rules?

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, kafka is certainly not Pop. I would consider it Jazz. It's like Tessa and Scotts "Cheek To Cheek" program. That was clearly a Jazz program. Would they still be allowed to do a program like that. Would the Shibs "Fix You" program be banned under the new rules?

Wiki says its
Genre : Post-Britpop / alternative rock

I suppose one may argue that its alternative rock ;)
Because pop definitions are pretty fluid imho, and, in many cases, quite ambiguous =) I'm actually curious how the topic starter would define pop more specifically, not as in "music i don't like".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
pop is fluid and yes, jazz is part of pop...

you can read this definition on wiki which is pretty basic but works for classical music... I bolded the most important part.

Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western music, including both liturgical (religious) and secular music. While a more accurate term is also used to refer to the period from 1750 to 1820 (the Classical period), this article is about the broad span of time from roughly the 11th century to the present day, which includes the Classical period and various other periods.

- - - Updated - - -

it is not classical music at all though ;) which means for simple classification if falls into pop

it is not classical music at all though ;) which means for simple classification if falls into pop

It seems like a rather useless classification just to say that "pop music" means "anything that is not classical music." Mary had a little lamb would classify as "pop" under that definition, as would "whale songs."

"Pop" is just an abbreviation for "popular." Opera was the pop music of bygone times and places. Miles Davis is "rooted in the traditions of Western art music."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well. Classical musicians have other definitions. I tried to give you something simple enough. And of course, there are always genres that are coming back and forth. Jazz comes from the pop culture but evolved using western language. Some classical composers use jazz in their music. Ravel is a good example of that. All music comes from very basic humming and singing. Twinkle Twinkle is a folk song but Mozart wrote classical variations on it. It's all about the language of composition, its refinement, its link with tradition etc.
It seems like a rather useless classification just to say that "pop music" means "anything that is not classical music." Mary had a little lamb would classify as "pop" under that definition, as would "whale songs."

"Pop" is just an abbreviation for "popular." Opera was the pop music of bygone times and places. Miles Davis is "rooted in the traditions of Western art music."

Regarding opera as pop music... well, that's not quite accurate. Remember that opera came from the genre of theatre in its beginnings. It actually usually served as an intermission act in a play. When it started to be performed independently from theatre, already, there were different styles :eek:pera buffa (comic opera, closer to pop if we are following your interpretation of it as pop music) and opera seria. Opera seria was basing its plots on historical or mythological topics. Buffa was comical and actual. We are talking here about 3 centuries ago... Some composers like Handel wrote many operas in the "serious style" while a composer like Mozart found both styles equally appealing... however, he got into trouble for using "light" libretti and "second rate" authors.... Nowadays, considering Mozart's genius his works are very well respected and one wouldn't associate the in the world of pop music...

The opera that figure skaters most use, 19th, early 20th century Italian opera is definitely not pop culture. It is very well anchored in the traditions of previous periods.

Many people think that musical or operetta belong to the genre of opera... but that's not correct.

In other words, the classification is more complex than it appears...and there are many other genres of music. World musics are just as fascinating to study.

By offering a what is classical is classical and what isn't is pop, is just a practical solution that most people can grasp easily. Crossover genres are more and more popular, for instance some film soundtracks are so rich that it is almost close to the classical music aesthetics ...

One cannot summarize into a sentence what makes pop or classical music... I will give you this... I was trying to simplify things for you ;) already by summarizing oh so quickly (cutting corners extremely) opera, which is only one genre, is taking way too long for the normal reader here... It can take years of training and listening to start really figuring these things out... and I am not talking about the greatest composers that we all know belong to the classical realm ;)

there are so many musicians we don't focus on because their contribution was either small or sub-par...

I will end with this, whether the piece is pop or classical or jazz or from a non western culture, it can be stellar or awful :) there is bad and good pop and bad and good classical music. I am saying this as I don't want readers to think that classical music is superior or whatever.

PS... Crumb's vox balenae... if you want to hear a classical interpretation of whale songs ;)

Last edited:
Well. Classical musicians have other definitions. I tried to give you something simple enough.

I am satisfied that I know what classical music is. What I was objecting to was calling all other music "pop." "Pop" has a definition, too. There is plenty of music that is neither classical nor pop.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you posted this while i was refurbishing my post.... yes there is more than one non classical genre of music... but for easy classification, people, forever, have been using the pop vs classical... simplicity is useful as a starting point.
I am satisfied that I know what classical music is. What I was objecting to was calling all other music "pop." "Pop" has a definition, too. There is plenty of music that is neither classical nor pop.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... ah vous dirais-je maman... it works with mathman.... :) ah vous dirais-je mathman, that i'm for a pop music ban :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
well... ah vous dirais-je maman... it works with mathman.... :) ah vous dirais-je mathman, that i'm for a pop music ban :)

What is the correct translation? My 9th grade compulsory French education is failing me. :laugh: Is it "will I tell you mom?"