2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I liked Ashley's program and skating. She was smooth and sensual. Remember it is early in the season. she will refine the program. However I did not care for her dress at all. It needs more color and pizazz.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I can't believe Ashley got second with 2 jumps under rotated and 2 feet landing + boring program. Alena and Miahara were far ahead...stupid judges!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:rofl:WeakAnkles, I have learned to swallow all liquids before reading your posts, lest they end up sprayed on my computer screen via laughter. You are dangerous ;)

LOL. Thank you--what a nice compliment. But really, she's like a movie version of Honey, I Shrunk Mae West To Kid-Size! Doncha think?

:)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Didn't she take the lutz out of her LP?
She tried it at Japan Open and got e. :slink: I dunno if she decided to take it out after that. (Perhaps the ! flip is a message from the judges? Go for the lutz, go for the lutz! :confused:)

gold12345

Medalist
I've watched both programs(someone uploaded Adelina's today) and Adelina's vocals are worse than Pogo's IMO... though I think Adelina may do a better job connecting with the vocals.

Yes, I agree that Adelina connects to the vocals a lot better. The vocals were distracting in Pogorilaya's program.

I think Satoko could actually benefit from a growth spurt.

I think so too. Somehow she needs to get the jumps bigger.

Puchi

On the Ice
I can't believe Ashley got second with 2 jumps under rotated and 2 feet landing + boring program. Alena and Miahara were far ahead...stupid judges!

Alena botched her final spin and Miyahara had two under rotations and a ! in her flip. Did you see the protocols?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ashley skates like a matured woman. She is daring and she looks stunning. I don't like her program much but it's true that in term of maturity she is different from the other. Alena might be not the judges' cup of tea (not feminine enough for them I guess).

Miyahara skates so small IMO, and the costume doesn't help her much, even the music choice (I love the music anyways). If this were a package for Junior Worlds I don't mind. But this is senior. Her Miss Saigon LP was designed for much better, though.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought the same! What's up with the tech panel at this competition? ...or is it just us? (also, it's driving me crazy how I live in Canada, but couldn't seem to find a legit live showing of the short programs on TV or online! :scowl:)

TSN 2 had all of the SPs both live and streaming online — they are affiliated with CTV, so always try the TSN website if you're looking for streaming of sports events showing on CTV. Hope that helps...

AprilS

On the Ice
TSN 2 had all of the SPs both live and streaming online — they are affiliated with CTV, so always try the TSN website if you're looking for streaming of sports events showing on CTV. Hope that helps...

I looked, but couldn't find it (couldn't navigate the website maybe?). Oh, well, thanks though ;)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
LOL did she say this in a CBC interview?

I'm watching IceNetwork for the first time this year. After decades of US commentators' babbling, it's odd to watch a programs sans talking - and not get any fluff.

Yep that's where she said it.

gold12345

Medalist
Miyahara skates so small IMO, and the costume doesn't help her much, even the music choice (I love the music anyways). If this were a package for Junior Worlds I don't mind. But this is senior. Her Miss Saigon LP was designed for much better, though.

I agree. I'm really surprised they went for a dress with poofy shoulders like that. It's very young looking for a girl who already looks young.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The first time I saw Satoko years ago I didn't feel she looked exactly young, or juniorish, because of her serious looking face. To me her face/lack of expression and tiny body is a strange combination, which makes me think whatever program she does, it's going to feel strange, till she is maybe 20 years old.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I am still glad that all these ladies are so different in their musical taste, interpretation, attack, and packaging. It makes the competition more interesting, and tacky is different for everyone. Stay true to yourself, ladies!

rain

Record Breaker
I looked, but couldn't find it (couldn't navigate the website maybe?). Oh, well, thanks though ;)

It's not the easiest to find... On the main page go to Sports on the top navigation bar. There's a drop-down menu, at the bottom is More Sports. Under More Sports, one of the choices is Figure Skating. Click. From the Figure Skating page, click either on Video on the navigation bar next to Figure Skating-News. Or, on the right hand side of the page, scroll to Live on TSN. When figure skating is being broadcast live, it will be one of the options.

thoakun

Final Flight
Satoko's SP could have been a lot more impressive had she emoted and connected better to the audiences. She expressed well through her body, but I wish she held her spiral longer. I wonder how her skate looks for people watching in the arena. She may be another skater who looks better on the screen than in the arena.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
LOL did she say this in a CBC interview?

I'm watching IceNetwork for the first time this year. After decades of US commentators' babbling, it's odd to watch a programs sans talking - and not get any fluff.

Actually, it was TSN. K & C episode with Sara Orlesky.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am still glad that all these ladies are so different in their musical taste, interpretation, attack, and packaging. It makes the competition more interesting, and tacky is different for everyone. Stay true to yourself, ladies!

This!!! I wish there was more respect for skaters who may represent a style in which may be different from what someone may prefer. I want to see many different approaches that represent a difference in cultures and understanding. Serious faces, dramatic faces, great SS, Technical Jumps, Emotional Programs, Fun Programs etc... But more than anything I want these girls to stay true to who they are and what they perceive as ideal skating. I don't understand why everyone wants a connection to the crowd so much. I think there is far too much emphasis on this. If they just execute the plan and do it to the best of their ability and connect to their program than the crowd should connect to them. If not....well.....who is the one really losing. :think:

chloepoco

Medalist
I really liked Satoko and don't understand all this criticism of her. She doesn't have big jumps but she sure does everything else beautifully.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really liked Satoko and don't understand all this criticism of her. She doesn't have big jumps but she sure does everything else beautifully.
She skates small, the package makes her look junior-ish. The costume makes her look 11 years old.
At the same time, Anna Pogo, Ashley and Alena all look more mature with bigger presence on ice. That's the difference.

But I can see that she can bounce back in the LP, her LP was designed very well.