2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31

Really enjoyed Satoko, I actually think that this program is not juniorish at all: I find it beautifully refined and full of nuances, with excellent posture, controlled and measured arm movements, but, well, we all have our different opinions (and so do the judges, since we can see PCS marks ranging from 6.25 to 8.25)!

ITA. How about the spins in both directions!? Her music was excellent and she made excellent use of it. :yes: Miyahara and Leonova were the most satisfying to watch, by far (for me).

Spins in general are getting better and better in the ladies' discipline. I wish there were a way for them to score a littler higher relative to jumps. When the CoP first came out one of the criticisms was that it encouraged a lot of ungainly spin positions. I think the ladies have now caught up with the rules.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Just watched the videos and... how on Earth did Anna manage to receive 29 PCS with that skate?! She didn't fall and some of the elements were really good, but it was rough, unrefined, cahotic... I really don't understand the judging here :no: There should have been a HUGE gap at least in PCS between her and Leonova (in favor of Leonova, obviously); even the GOEs were quite generous, for me... Well, that's how skating is a lot of times :biggrin:
I think that Anna's PCS is ok, but Alena surely deserves higher score: at least equal to 32 got by Ashley. Really, 2 points difference between Leonova and Wagner are much more surprising, the only explanation is that they give points not for skating but for reputation... As usual :rolleye:

Alba

Record Breaker
I hate Adagio with vocals. As they say in Napoli è 'na uallera! :slink:
However this is a bit better for Anna than the one I heard before. However, it will be a lot better if she gets rid of the vocals.

She should've got some better GoE's for her combo and 3Lo.
It's ridiculous to see some GoE's for her combo and especially 3Lo are equal to Wagner's 3F+3T< and 3Lo<. :rolleye:

As for Wagner's "sonogram" comment, I guess it must be hard being beaten by "sonograms" at home and abroad.
The "sonograms" must not be offended by that comment. They on the other hand are competing against nannys, like Ashley. :sarcasm:

breynows

On the Ice
What happened to pogo Music cut :mad: i'm so angry with her, she had a perfect dramatic choice, but now she just has a boring program :bang: oh my...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
As for Wagner's "sonogram" comment, I guess it must be hard being beaten by "sonograms" at home and abroad.
The "sonograms" must not be offended by that comment. They on the other hand are competing against nannys, like Ashley. :sarcasm:

Actually, I usually like Ashleys personality and honesty, but that sonogram comment was simply... stupid? I mean 1 out of 3 ladies she faces as her main competition here as been around as long as she has, has just as much personality and presence and was actually more successful in her career. The other two are very young and lack a little in different things, but both are far from being jumping beans. Satoko, IMO, has as much musicality as Ash, even if she can't emote as well (yet). Anna has a very nice presence on the ice, actually.
It's especially lame as Ash's performance this time was lackluster, IMO. That program was empty, and she's too slow to skate around the rink doing nothing else. Maybe it'll get better as the season goes on, but for now, she didn't back up that sonogram comment with anything.

Alena had the performance of the night for me. Her jumps had really good quality too! It's impressive how improved she looks, given how hard the competition in Russia is right now. That lady sure has guts and fighting spirit!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I could agree to some extent with "rough and unrefined" but definitely not with "chaotic" - I think she followed the drama of music quite nicley unlike Satoko who just did a couple of menuett like movements at the beginning and in the middle and that was it with Mozart. And with Ashley's 32 Anna's 29 for pcs seems about right. Leonove was punished - here I would agree. She should have had 32 as well.
I can agree that the construction of the program itself is good (better than last year's Tango for sure!), but she leaves me with a "chaotic" impression basically because her movements look so frenetic; the music is slowly building towards the "big drama" while she looks like she's trying hard to contain herself but not succeeding, especially during the first half, and she's throwing her long limbs almost everywhere (to make a comparison: her arm movements are the opposite of Hongo's: Rika has long arms and legs, too, but, even if she's a lot more introvert in her interpretation, her movements are light years ahead of Anna's as far as measure and posture are concerned)... You can see that she's trying hard to refine her style (and I give her credit for this), but her skating still looks really frantic to me, too frantic to say that 7.43 for PE and 7.46 for CH are correct marks :eek:hwell:

minze

Medalist
I can agree that the construction of the program itself is good (better than last year's Tango for sure!), but she leaves me with a "chaotic" impression basically because her movements look so frenetic; the music is slowly building towards the "big drama" while she looks like she's trying hard to contain herself but not succeeding, especially during the first half, and she's throwing her long limbs almost everywhere (to make a comparison: her arm movements are the opposite of Hongo's: Rika has long arms and legs, too, but, even if she's a lot more introvert in her interpretation, her movements are light years ahead of Anna's as far as measure and posture are concerned)... You can see that she's trying hard to refine her style (and I give her credit for this), but her skating still looks really frantic to me, too frantic to say that 7.43 for PE and 7.46 for CH are correct marks :eek:hwell:

Agree. Good thing she can jump because she needs to work on her PCS

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Ashley....
The bad news....under rotation on the loop. I get the 3toe being UR, that's not new....but the loop now worries me
The good news....level 4's on everything else

Personally, I like the program a lot. Reminds me of pre COP skating :)

mustafakent

On the Ice
Ashley....
The bad news....under rotation on the loop. I get the 3toe being UR, that's not new....but the loop now worries me
The good news....level 4's on everything else

Personally, I like the program a lot. Reminds me of pre COP skating :)

And that "!" on the flip. :confused: I used to think Ashley has no chance to show outside edge on any jump.

flying camel

Medalist
I watched Rika Hongo's SP. I have never seen her skate before. I like her. She skates the way I like to see skaters skate. She has the joy of skating in her face.

minze

Medalist
I haven't seen the sonogram comments. She probably was trying to be funny but I think Ashley is jealous of the sonograms abilities. But when the sonograms weren't abound around 2012 she still did not make it to world podium... So I think competing against sonograms is the least of her problems

whatif

Medalist
Satoko's problems ain't PCS. Her jumps are constantly being called out and that's what she needs to worry about, that will be even more problem in LP. And that's being the case with all judging panels, no matter how strict they are.
It's barely more than 1 point difference between her and Anna in PCS.

Alba

Record Breaker
Actually, I usually like Ashleys personality and honesty, but that sonogram comment was simply... stupid? I mean 1 out of 3 ladies she faces as her main competition here as been around as long as she has, has just as much personality and presence and was actually more successful in her career. The other two are very young and lack a little in different things, but both are far from being jumping beans. Satoko, IMO, has as much musicality as Ash, even if she can't emote as well (yet). Anna has a very nice presence on the ice, actually.
It's especially lame as Ash's performance this time was lackluster, IMO. That program was empty, and she's too slow to skate around the rink doing nothing else. Maybe it'll get better as the season goes on, but for now, she didn't back up that sonogram comment with anything.

Alena had the performance of the night for me. Her jumps had really good quality too! It's impressive how improved she looks, given how hard the competition in Russia is right now. That lady sure has guts and fighting spirit!

I completely agree with your comment.

I like Adhley's personality as well. I like people who're not afraid of speaking their mind and don't try to be politically correct all the time.
Having said that, being honest and being offensive are two different things for me, and the "sonogram" comment is offensive towards her younger colleagues. Not funny at all, as some people likes to sell it here. At best, it's a gaffe.
Furthermore, as you rightly pointed out, many ladies who are competing with her have the same age, like Leonova for example.
This paternalistic attitude is even more ridiculous when it comes from a 23 year old girl.
In anycase, as Minze2001 mentioned, competing against "sonograms" is the least of her problems.
She better concentrate on her skating and do her own job at best of her abilities.

NaVi

Medalist
According to Neveitalia, Anna P. said that she is happy being in first place but she is not satisfied with her skating.
She said that she would've wanted to interpret the music better, and be more solid on the technical part.
http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...-fernandez-ho-pattinato-con-la-giusta-energia

Here's the press conference with her(and Ashley's) comments... they didn't do a translation of Alena's statement though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYj0fDPWLw

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Here's the press conference with her(and Ashley's) comments... they didn't do a translation of Alena's statement though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYj0fDPWLw
Alena said she's satisfied with her performance in general, and the only dissapointment were her spins. She thinks she lost approximately 5 points due to mistakes on spins. And the most dissapointing was the last one which got only base level.