7. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 57.06 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 56.36 Short Program
9. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 52.74 Short Program
10. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 52.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 51.55 Short Program
12. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 44.66 Short Program

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wow! so many ladies did really well! Tomorrow will be exciting!
As for Satoko, she has a beautiful and delicate style. She's one for whom the description 'princess style' is applicable and suitable.
I hope she can get more height on her jumps tomorrow. There are times where she fully rotates her jumps but they are always borderline.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Satoko's SP could have been a lot more impressive had she emoted and connected better to the audiences. She expressed well through her body, but I wish she held her spiral longer. I wonder how her skate looks for people watching in the arena. She may be another skater who looks better on the screen than in the arena.

Yes, we noted exactly that here in the arena. She needs to relate to the audience, like Leonova did, not go out there and skate like she is alone.

amc987

On the Ice
Okay, can I just say that while I have nothing against Anna Pogorilaya, I wasn't a fan of her program. Her skating looks very sloppy to me (arms flailing, spins traveling, positions not held, etc.) and she really doesn't connect with the audience well. Also, the music cut was difficult for me to listen to. Whoever was singing has a beautiful voice, but I don't think it's the best to have such intense vocals throughout an entire piece. I much preferred Wagner's and Leonova's programs despite their respective mistakes. Leonova in particular looks much improved this season. And goodness, gracious can Ashley please rotate her jumps and stop two-footing her combo. That would be excellent.

starlight97

Final Flight
Quit good performances today !:yes:

Anna Pogo -
Don't see the problem with her costume. It's so much better than the "I'm nude and put a shell on my left breast" costume from last year imo.
I agree that she looks rather mature this time around and more like a young lady. Her jumps seemed the same as always but I think she worked on her spins! (Yes still miles behind the likes of Sotnikova and Lipnitskkaya but an improvement for her)
The music is a but too much though, especially when the female voice starts "screaming" consistently for about 15 seconds around the time she does her 2A.
But I liked her overall :)

Ashley Wagner-
I think if people want to complain about a costume it should be this one :slink: . Really unflattering for her.
I agree with everyone who said that it lacked interpretation etc
I loved the first spin though! Difficult entry and including the Yuna-Position, nicely centered as well :thumbsup:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 65.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.86 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 62.54 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 60.22 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Rika HONGO (JPN) - 59.10 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 57.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 57.06 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 56.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 52.74 Short Program, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy
10. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 52.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 51.55 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
12. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 44.66 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

ks777

Record Breaker
She skates small, the package makes her look junior-ish. The costume makes her look 11 years old.
At the same time, Anna Pogo, Ashley and Alena all look more mature with bigger presence on ice. That's the difference.

But I can see that she can bounce back in the LP, her LP was designed very well.
what do you mean she skates small? She has good skating skills, good speed, good postures and good spins. I don't get your take on Satoko. Yes she is tiny but doesn't mean she skates small.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really liked Satoko and don't understand all this criticism of her. She doesn't have big jumps but she sure does everything else beautifully.

I really like her too, yes, she looks young in that dress but it is ok, she is cute, and her skating looks more refined than Anna`s. I couldn´t to finish Anna´s program, too much boring, the dress nothing special and the music terrible.
I liked Ashley and Alena too but my favorite was Satoko.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
YMMV. I thought the PCS scores were fine.

I did feel Satoko was underscored in PCS and I have her winning hte whole thing, so hoping for a comeback tomorrow!

I really like her but at this point in the oly cycle, she does need a growth spurt soon so she can get past it and look more mature. I cant see the scoring on this tablet so when I get home I cant wait to do the play backs with the PDFs in my hand. Tomarrow is going to be a really interesting day...then to bed for tired old coyote who ate dinner after event with PaulE in pub full of halloween revellers. Halloween pub crawling is big here for young adults!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This is an honest question. Where can I find connecting to the audience in the ISU guidelines for scoring? This is brought up a lot. If a skater makes section 110 go ooh and ahh..where does it appear in the protocols. As best as I can remember the only thing a skater is ever scored in regards to any connection is to the music and character/program. This isn't an attempt at being rude but simply a question I can't answer myself.

Performance/Execution

Projection
"The skater radiates energy resulting in an invisible connection with the audience."

aftertherain

Record Breaker
who cares about the protocols anymore?

it's becoming quite obvious that in every competition, a judge sitting on one side of the panel is not watching the same performance as the judge sitting on the opposite side.

thoakun

Final Flight
She skates small, the package makes her look junior-ish. The costume makes her look 11 years old.
At the same time, Anna Pogo, Ashley and Alena all look more mature with bigger presence on ice. That's the difference.

But I can see that she can bounce back in the LP, her LP was designed very well.

What does skating small mean? I suppose you're referring to the energy a skater radiates, as in the case of Shoma. Anyway, I understand all the criticism about her. Even if she gets a better packaging for the SP, I don't see her PCS increase. What really hurts Satoko is her small jumps. I watch her performances on the screen and for me, the tiny jumps are secondary to her beautiful skating, but I can understand if the judges and the audiences sitting on higher rows don't appreciate that. Besides, she doesn't emote. I don't mind that either, but skaters who don't make eye contacts hardly very high PCS. I think Satoko's's musicality is better than the rest of the competition and she reminds me of Akiko who feels for the music down to her fingertips, but it's never enough to close the gap with them.

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
In my opinion Anna's music is now much better than in russian test skates. Actually i could say i like her short program.

Satoko is still my farourite among these competitors. I hope she can do better in free skate :)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I liked this SP session better than at SA. Ricka Hongo was a nice surprise - I would like to see her going up and the judges' being less tough on her pcs. Leonova created a seamless program. It's a shame she did not manage the last spin. And I would consider it fair if her pcs were on par with Ashley's. Wagner skated nicely and 32 in pcs reflects her good skating skills. But the program itself was so-so and I think the judges were very soft on her TES. Satoko is just not my cup of tea. Her skating IMO had little to do with Mozart. I may be accused of being biased but I do believe that those who claim that Yulia lacks the feel for music and Satoko has it are very wrong. Pogo was much better than during the test skates. She needs some refinement - may be she has been growing too fast. But I could relate to her "drama" and her 3Lz-3T was beautiful. If she is clean at FS I just see no one who can challenge her here.

Meoima

Match Penalty
What does skating small mean? I suppose you're referring to the energy a skater radiates, as in the case of Shoma. Anyway, I understand all the criticism about her. Even if she gets a better packaging for the SP, I don't see her PCS increase. What really hurts Satoko is her small jumps. I watch her performances on the screen and for me, the tiny jumps are secondary to her beautiful skating, but I can understand if the judges and the audiences sitting on higher rows don't appreciate that. Besides, she doesn't emote. I don't mind that either, but skaters who don't make eye contacts hardly very high PCS. I think Satoko's's musicality is better than the rest of the competition and she reminds me of Akiko who feels for the music down to her fingertips, but it's never enough to close the gap with them.
Musicality is very subjective and We could never know if these ladies truly feel the music or they were just trained better. and I said nothing about her energy or something like that.
There's skaters look better on screen than live. Since Satoko is so small I can feel that her performance looks much different in the arena. The audience and the judges don't see the details you are talking about. Her small jumps hurt her the most, I agree. But the pont is since she's so small they should have chosen something to showff her strength.
Her current package don't make her to be of a more mature skater. The SP is of that a junior.
I mentioned the LP, didn't I? She has wonderful choreography for her LP,, much better package .That's why I said she can bounce back in the LP.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
what do you mean she skates small? She has good skating skills, good speed, good postures and good spins. I don't get your take on Satoko. Yes she is tiny but doesn't mean she skates small.
Satoko really skates like a child, and her PCS should be not very high. And what is more important - she underrotates jumps, fortunately this time she got adequate penalty for that.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just watched the videos and... how on Earth did Anna manage to receive 29 PCS with that skate?! She didn't fall and some of the elements were really good, but it was rough, unrefined, cahotic... I really don't understand the judging here :no: There should have been a HUGE gap at least in PCS between her and Leonova (in favor of Leonova, obviously); even the GOEs were quite generous, for me... Well, that's how skating is a lot of times :biggrin:
Really enjoyed Satoko, I actually think that this program is not juniorish at all: I find it beautifully refined and full of nuances, with excellent posture, controlled and measured arm movements, but, well, we all have our different opinions (and so do the judges, since we can see PCS marks ranging from 6.25 to 8.25)!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
how on Earth did Anna manage to receive 29 PCS with that skate?! She didn't fall and some of the elements were really good, but it was rough, unrefined, cahotic... I)!

I could agree to some extent with "rough and unrefined" but definitely not with "chaotic" - I think she followed the drama of music quite nicley unlike Satoko who just did a couple of menuett like movements at the beginning and in the middle and that was it with Mozart. And with Ashley's 32 Anna's 29 for pcs seems about right. Leonove was punished - here I would agree. She should have had 32 as well.