2016 Europeans Ladies Free Skate | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Ladies Free Skate

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Does Pogorilaya have bad jump technique or what? I've never seen anyone with falls like her.

Pogorilaya attacked the jumps with the unmatched by anyone speed. Then she just could not control them. Her falls are too big just because of that. It's not like Rippon's planned lutz fall safely on the bottom. She skated slower at Nationals and nailed it. Here she just could not control her emotions - she admitted it during the interview.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Yep, she doesn't have a lutz. To be honest, it's very bizarre that everyone's talking about Medvedeva and her jumps and whatnot when jumps IMO are by far her weakest aspect. It's hard to understand.

Everybody acknowledges this is a fault but I suppose in comparison to the current competition she's got it best at the moment and that's why everybody talks like its a strength.

Gracie has incorrect edges too. She is also less likely to land them then Evgenia who at least still stands on her feet more often then not.
Mao has incorrect edges too. She also has under rotation issues whereas Evgenia fully rotates hers.
Evgenia's jumps are more impressive then Miyahara who also has under rotation issues. Consistency wise their close to even.
Ashley is less consistent then Evgenia and more likely to bomb the her.
Elena's jumps aren't as polished as Evgenia's and consistency their even.

Jumps may be Evgenia's weak point but she's still much better off then the rest of her competition at the moment so people tend to be more positive.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If you've been around the sport a long time you recognize beautiful body lines, athletic jumps and interpretive depth. This takes years of work and seasoned fans know it. I don't know what has happened to the judging that accomplished skaterrs are being pushed aside by the latest twirling 15 yo. If the judging system can't capture this difference then it's hurting not helping the sport. I would watch Josi Heggleson or Ashley Wagner any day over Rad or that new Russian junior the British boys ae pushing - what's her name? I hope the career skaters will stay in it. Sensibility will come back!

So much drama but the truth is that as of now none of the Russian senior skaters is younger than 16.

desertskates

Medalist
I didn't see anyone answer your question so i'll try. I don't know the exact date but it's in the end of February.

Thank you, I wondered as well. I'll be so nervous for both Anna and Liza to see who is chosen for the World Team. The waiting has to be so difficult for both young ladies!

lavoix

Match Penalty
I take my hat off to Anna for surviving yet another competition without breaking her body in half. But I will just say one thing to those Anna lovers who were defending her so much and praising how amazing she will be: TOLD YOU SHE WOULD FALL!

Only thing I can say to her is: girl bye.

Perdita

Final Flight
After watching the top 6 ladies, I can't be happier for Angelina!! She was super! Shame about the URs and she seems to have a stamina issue but I'm very excited to see her at the World :love:

Anna, I think she's getting better at handling falls and I'm very proud of her for that. She is perfecting that Sheherazade choreography! You know what, I personally have never praised Anna for how amazing she will be... I always praise her for how amazing she is.

I feel sad for the fact that a clean Lena could not beat Zhenya with a fall, but I still think it's understandable. Zhenya not only landed the jumps with confidence but her exits have some nice movements. Could be improved in terms of quality, but are very well thought.

That was a very good competition! Bravo :hap10:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Another entertaining competition, so many great performances. It's a bit disappointing to see so many criticising all the Russian girls, I thought they were all great even with Anna and her falls.

I thought Medvedeva was fantastic, it was a really beautiful skate. Apart from the fall on the double axel, the jumps were great, I like the tanos. I thought she really connected with the music and the audience. She deserved to win the free and overall. I like Radionova but I'm not a huge fan of her programmes but I loved Titanic today. She never holds back, she gives it her all. The jumps were a bit iffy, she had to fight for a lot of them. I think it is correct that she placed 2nd in the free. She did look seriously unimpressed in the waiting area, which is unusual for her as she is normally quite bubbly and smiley.

I am a big fan of Anna but I am always a little nervous when she skates, I don't know what is going to happen. She came out all guns blazing, great 3Lz3T combination followed by 3L1L3S and then splat on the next 3Lz got it back together and then splat on the next 3L. Those falls looked so painful but to her credit she kept on performing, there is a lot of good things in this programme. Sadly, I do think her place on the Worlds team is now in jeopardy, she may have a skate of at the final of the Russian cup.

Kuchvalska had a great skate but I think that 4th in the free is correct, even with the falls she didn't match Anna's TES. She lost some levels and didn't have the harder jump combinations. Without doubt though she attacked and gave 100%. I like her and she is going to be a factor, certainly at European level, in years to come. I was a bit disappointed with Rodeghiero, I found the skate overall a bit boring. Meite skated well from a jumps point of view but the PCS wasn't great.

Others I enjoyed were Lindfors, Toth and Russo. While Russo did not have the most difficult of tech I loved her presentation, it was so different from what anyone else offered tonight, she really stood out from the field. She was 18th overall in the free but came 6th on PCS but only 22nd on TES, is that a good sign of the IJS? I was a little disappointed for Rajicova, a little bit of her best but she got a great reaction from the home crowd.

Well done to the Russian ladies for another clean sweep.
You summed it up very well, 3T3T, but I don't see it necessary to always do the jumps with raised arms, which is very annoying to a certain extent.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Yes- when the tano is done correctly, notice most skaters can only do it once or twice, because it is truly a difficult element and adds a distinctive touch to the jump sequence. Flinging your arm above your head for every single jump (or 6 out of 7 jumps or whatever) is clearly not the same thing, nor should it count for the same amount of points. I really hope the ISU changes this rule for next year.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes- when the tano is done correctly, notice most skaters can only do it once or twice, because it is truly a difficult element and adds a distinctive touch to the jump sequence. Flinging your arm above your head for every single jump (or 6 out of 7 jumps or whatever) is clearly not the same thing, nor should it count for the same amount of points. I really hope the ISU changes this rule for next year.

The judges don't have to reward it so there really isn't anything to change is there?

I actually really like her air position and regardless of her arm positioning she earns positive GOE in my opinion. YMMV and so too can the judges.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
My 2 cents of the 3 top ladies:

Evgenia Medvedeva - I like her, I am personally rooting for her to take the world title. Love her jumps, at least they are fully rotated, good height and distance. Has anyone notice, why did she pull her 'leggings' over her white boots? It is just so distracting and unattractive, it looks like she is wearing bedtime slippers. Otherwise, love her elegance, speed, everything.

Elena Radionova - Another skater that I like, jumps fully rotated with good height, etc. (Satoko better not medal at Worlds this time with her so 'obviously' underotated jumps, it just irks me to bits when the judges continue to give her high marks for her jumps!) My only question is - why is Elena skating to this dinosaur piece of music, 'Titanic'? That music is so archaic, the movie itself is 19 years old and Elena is only 17. Elena is youthful, full of exuberance and naturally radiant, she can skate to any music. If the coach wants her to skate to 'modern' music instead of 'classical', there are plenty to choose from her 'own' lifetime and not this sombre, melancholy grandma's favorite called 'Titanic'.

Anna Pogorilaya - I have followed figure skating for 20 years, serious, never seen any females fall like that in 'competition'. Glad she got the Bronze but her falls especially since NHK (when she had 3 falls in the LP, I think) just makes me nervous for her.

jkun

Final Flight
I think it's a ! at the most. It looked pretty good to me.

It's definitely an inside edge. Look at the angle the boot and angle are in relation to the camera and most importantly, how she rotates on the inside edge as she takes off. There's no counter-rotation in this jump. She's probably the best at hiding her flutz. I would have given her an e.

Likewise, you can look at Lena's 3F in the sp. You can see that her take-off is actually on an inside edge because you see the boot rotate on the inside edge as she takes off. As for the flip in the FS, it probably deserved an !

jkun

Final Flight
Thank you, I wondered as well. I'll be so nervous for both Anna and Liza to see who is chosen for the World Team. The waiting has to be so difficult for both young ladies!

If I was the Russian fed and really really wanted a Russian sweep of Worlds, I'd send Evgenia, Lena, and Liza. I'd say Evgenia and Elena are pretty much guaranteed medals--at least based on how they have performed this season. Gracie and Ashley when clean, both have the ability to beat at least clean Elena. Clean Satoko will not be able to beat clean Evgenia/Elena/Gracie/Ashley. I'd bet on the world podium consisting of Evgenia, Elena, and whoever wins 4CC.