2016 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
They're both skaters known for really low jumps. I don't think that's a far-fetched comparison at all. Not to mention, they've both been known to "game" their TES in the FS by doing multiple 2A+3T combinations, because as pointed out, it doesn't really make a difference points-wise if a 3T is tacked onto a 3Z or a 2A.

The haterade of Miyahara is suuuuuper strong with these people. They need to get over the fact that Miyahara has small jumps. She's a small girl, and that's how her jumps will be. For a while, she was getting URs because of it, but clearly she has worked to improve her landings to avoid that. I'm pretty sure if Miyahara (4'10"... 6 inches smaller than Kim and Asada), were taller, her jumps would "look"/be higher too.

Satoko would have almost tied Medvedeva at 4CC and beaten Radionova... Nagasu would have won bronze at Euros with her skates here. So it goes without saying that 4CC is about on par with Euros. The 6th-9th place skaters at Four Continents scored more than the 5th place skater at Euros.

I am just telling the truth. :laugh: A petite girl does not mean her jumps should be that low and small. BTW I am no hater of any skaters, including Miyahara. If she won the World title in Boston with such mini-jumps, that would definitely create an unimaginable sensation among the FS communities.

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
Here's the thing. I am one of Gracie's biggest fans. However, if you want to win Medals on an international lever, you have to stand up! Period!! My coach used to say..."You don't need sympathy, you need to look in the mirror" and she was right. Gracie is coached by the best. Her programs are choreographed by the best, and she is one of the best jumpers the US has ever had. There is no reason she shouldn't have won this event handily. This is on her.

Champions rise when the pressure is high and I still expect her to deliver at Worlds.

I think she should stop going to 4cc if the venue will be on asia because of jetlag. I think she will stand there in worlds especially in Boston, home ice and i think she will deliver at Worlds as well just like she did in Worlds last year (sans the short there). I'm one of Gracie's biggest fan too :love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am just telling the truth. :laugh: A petite girl does not mean her jumps should be that low and small. BTW I am no hater of any skaters, including Miyahara. If she won the World title in Boston with such mini-jumps, that would definitely create an unimaginable sensation among the FS communities.

Petite frame and tiny jumps often go hand in hand. Lipinski didn't exactly have huge jumps herself and still won Worlds and it wasn't an issue. Well, except for those people who say the World Champion has to be a mature woman with powerful jumps.

Last edited:

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
This competition was interesting. Lots of unexpected turns of action, except for Satoko's stellar performances.

Mirai did great, she looked poised from the minute she took the ice. She also looked a bit different "physically" - I do not know how to put it right, but maybe she is trained better now? However, I am a bit underwhelmed with this program - the concept, the choreo and interpretation. Yet, well deserved silver.

I would have either Osmond, Rika or So Youn in 3rd (all 3 preferably! :)).
Osmonds jumps are huge, gosh, what a talent she is! Not to mention her performance abilities. She was robbed big time on PCS both in LP and SP. So was So Youn, although to a lesser extent. It annoys me to no end that PCS are awarded according to your performances earlier in the season. I hate it!:dev2:
I am a bit disappointed with Rika. I like her a lot, but she has not improved at all in terms of posture, flow, edges and her spins are still so painful to watch.

Gracie, what can I say.. Had she only put some fire, energy, fight into this performance, she would have medalled. I really did not like her attitude. Her PCS was faaaar to high.

Zijun - I have hard time enjoying her, sorry. She does not have any energy and joy out there. And it does not have anything to do with etheral style - She moves so anemic, her moves are noodles like. I think she was absolutely at her best when she finished 7 at worlds couple of years ago. She was totally a different skater. I know - injuries, growth spurt, but still...

A side note about jet lag. I do not understand all these excuses for NA skaters at this competition. I mean, they travel and compete at GP series too? Just like all Euro and Asian skaters. I have never heard anyone trying to justify a poor performance of an Asian skater due to jet lag. Sorry, i dont buy it.

Think about Ashley and Kaetlyn in NHK last year. Courtney at CoC. Gracie and Ashley's 2015 W SP. Gracie's 2015 4cc

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
It's not gonna happen. Medvedeva will win. For me, the only one who really has the tiniest chance against Evgenia is a perfect Mao, and when was the last time that happened? I personally see Satoko in second place or third (it's between her and Elena) at Worlds. Basically the podium of the GPF unless one american lady grows wings. Doubtful.

I know her hahhhaha :laugh:

NaVi

Medalist
Trying to lump Liptniskaia's and Satako's jumps together as "tiny jumps" is dumb... Yulia was given that label in relation to some of her competitors... i.e, Yulia has small jumps in comparison to Adelina... but Satako has small jumps in comparison to Yulia.

And this is something I forgot, but Yulia wasn't doing 2A+3T+2T 2A+3T at least during Euros 2014 and the Olympics.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yes, Gracie is inconsistent on a seasonal basis. But she has consistently placed top 6 or better at Worlds/Olympics every year since her senior debut in 2013. That's a pretty good "big stage" record, better than any Canadian lady since Joannie Rochette left competitive ice. And Polina has placed top 10 at Worlds 2014, 2015 and Olympics despite her youth, and won 4CC last year. Polina's performances at US Nationals this year were breathtaking.

Osmond has had troubles in the past with her basic skating that could be traced to her injuries. She still struggles with inconsistencies.

Sure Osmond at her best can compete with Gracie at her worst, which is what we saw at 4CC. Can she compete with Gracie at her best? I guess that is the question.

Your relentless criticisms of Kaetlyn and her skating skills, existed well before her injuries! Kaetlyn by the way, was def. far from "her best" this competition, but did show anyone who watched, that she had quality, passion, heart and never gave up on her programs. I would def. say she outshined Gracie by miles, esp. in PCS.

The constant criticism of all things Canadian, does get tiresome. As our ladies continue to improve/ impress, perhaps it is time to find a new topic to rant.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The frustration with Miyahara comes from the fact that her jumps are literally the smallest and most pre-rotated of any top competitor ever. I love her, she's got so much skating talent, but it's a glaring issue. Lipsnitskaia's tiny jumps are still fuller in comparison.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
*eye roll* I'm obviously referring to the seasons when Lipnistakia with her tiny jumps were still good enough to win silver at 2 Russian Nationals (and a World silver, and Euros/Olympic team gold, at that).

How can you compare their jumps? Satoko's jums ARE tiny but Yulia's were just small..:eek:hwell: Watch and compare.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I'm tired of talking about Satoko's jumps. At this point even her Salchow is scoring better than someone like So Youn who has one of the best Salchows in the game. The judges have spoken and it's time to move on. I don't think it's fair at all but unless the judges suddenly see what we seem to think we do there is nothing to be done. I just wish skaters like Mao and Ashley who have been put thru the ringers would receive the same generosity. Especially considering how much better there jumps appear to be to my eyes.

I wonder, is there a way to send your jumpamatron videos to the ISU? They need to know about Satoko's underrotated jumps!
Or even if not them, the Russian Fed or the US Fed? I bet they would *love* to be able to discredit Satoko. :yes:

Hmmm, I know TAT has a VK page now (or a fanpage)....hmmm... :scratch3:

Seriously though, Satoko has many lovely qualities to her skating, but *I* personally cannot enjoy watching her because I know how much of her "jumps" are actually done on the ice. :mad:

Thrilled for Mirai and So-youn though!! :yahoo:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
They're both skaters known for really low jumps. I don't think that's a far-fetched comparison at all. Not to mention, they've both been known to "game" their TES in the FS by doing multiple 2A+3T combinations, because as pointed out, it doesn't really make a difference points-wise if a 3T is tacked onto a 3Z or a 2A.

The haterade of Miyahara is suuuuuper strong with these people. They need to get over the fact that Miyahara has small jumps. She's a small girl, and that's how her jumps will be. For a while, she was getting URs because of it, but clearly she has worked to improve her landings to avoid that. I'm pretty sure if Miyahara (4'10"... 6 inches smaller than Kim and Asada), were taller, her jumps would "look"/be higher too.

Satoko would have almost tied Medvedeva at 4CC and beaten Radionova... Nagasu would have won bronze at Euros with her skates here. So it goes without saying that 4CC is about on par with Euros. The 6th-9th place skaters at Four Continents scored more than the 5th place skater at Euros.

Say it to Liza T:handw: Being a small skater doesn't automatically convert you in a small jumper today. Jumps are the highest point getting component and awarding Satoko for them is awful for sport. I watched her 4cc program and her jumps were actually higher there. Even then they aren't of +2/+3 quality.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Say it to Liza T:handw: Being a small skater doesn't automatically convert you in a small jumper today. Jumps are the highest point getting component and awarding Satoko for them is awful for sport. I watched her 4cc program and she jumps were actually higher there. Even then they aren't of +2/+3 quality.

I'm referring to her frame (Satoko isn't just short, she's slender and short.... somebody like Elene Gedevanishvili is 5 feet tall, but her frame/build allows for more powerful jumps.

Also, Liza is 4 inches taller than Satoko. And as we saw, once she went through puberty, and learned to work with a heftier build and translate it to power, her jumps got to where they are now (when she's on).

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'm referring to her frame (Satoko isn't just short, she's slender and short.... somebody like Elene Gedevanishvili is 5 feet tall, but her frame/build allows for more powerful jumps.

Also, Liza is 4 inches taller than Satoko. And as we saw, once she went through puberty, and learned to work with a heftier build and translate it to power, her jumps got to where they are now (when she's on).

Big no. Her jumps were always big. Just remember her Skate Canada debut. And she was "slender and shorter" there. Satoko CAN'T jump as good as other competitors - even she herself knows that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Big no. Her jumps were always big. Just remember her Skate Canada debut. And she was "slender and shorter" there. Satoko CAN'T jump as good as other competitors - even she herself knows that.

Her jumps weren't as great as they are right now. Anyways, it's rather silly to compare Satoko to Liza when both have different builds and the basis of my point is that Satoko's tiny body frame will OF COURSE mean tiny jumps. I don't know what they're expecting from her - she's doing the best she can do with what she's got and is making it work. Yeah, she CAN'T jump as high as her competitors but she can jump cleaner/more consistently than them.

Last edited:

fruitbasket

Rinkside
The judges love Miyahara. I am really afraid she will win in Boston. After Taipei is everything possible.:(

I hope not.... World figure skating champion should have a bigger, explosive jumps technique and interpretation of music. Satoko has such a tinyyyyy jumps....it is not pretty jump...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Midori Ito is just 1m45 which is even smaller than Satoko.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I thought her music was fine. It was from The Great Gatsby soundtrack. Maybe you had to have seen the movie.

I've never seen the movie and don't care to. I am a fan of Mirai, though. This music choice was wrong. The contrast is too much. You can't pair Lana Del Rey with swing music..or was it jazz? I don't know and it doesn't matter because the season is over.

I hope she picks better free skate music next year. She will be in the hunt internationally and she may be the US lady to beat come Nationals if she keeps this momentum. It would be nice to see. She has fought so hard.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
What is pre-rotation? I keep hearing it in regards to Satoko and I have never heard of it before her. How can you tell? I don't get it. Are people just grasping at straws and trying to find something to complain about? Her jumps are small, but she is a good skater.

With that being said, ahem, how was her score so much higher than Mirai's? Was it Mirai's music? Was it the judges? Someone help me understand. Please!