2016 Worlds Short Dance | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Short Dance

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
How much they need in total of places to remain at 2?

They need a total of no more than 28. Also anyone who makes the free has their placement count as no worse than 16. So basically one of them needs to stay at 12 or better and the other can bomb as much as they want.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
P/C raise ice dance to a different level - just breathtaking. Don't agree with W/P being behind the boring C/B but I guess home advantage, plus Marina & Igor doing their magic --:noshake:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well there was just no contest here. I doubt anyone can reach G/P. Just as TAT I could not breath. S/S do have the best FD BUT G/P just a whole different planet. Very hard task for anyone to reach that.
C/L were majorly hosed. Canadians majorly gifted. And who cares about Russians.

Canadian gifted? :scratch3:. I feel all gifts were given to C&B, without question. As for "artistic look", Chock has two, ..."smiley" and "pissed". Both have been over used all season.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
Canadian gifted :rofl:, I feel all gifts were given to C&B, without question. As for "artistic look", Chock she has two, ...smiley and pissed. Both have been overly used all season.

Well, that's Shpilband gift. Had C/B have a semi-decent FD, I would predict them to beat S/S for second place here. But S/S should thank Tchernyshev for their second world silver. And no way C/B are going to end up off the podium. By Canadian gift, I meant as high as the both teams are right now.

Spot

On the Ice
I truly could watch Papadakis/Cizeron all day. So, so beautiful. They really remind me of why Ice Dance was my first figure skating love.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
P/C raise ice dance to a different level - just breathtaking. Don't agree with W/P being behind the boring C/B but I guess home advantage, plus Marina & Igor doing their magic --:noshake:

I haven't seen the protocols... were they behind because of PCS? I thought the problem was with levels, in which case "boring" isn't an issue. If they didn't bring the technical, then that's not anyone "doing their magic."

Disclaimer: I'm not savvy enough to look at a monitor and assess the levels, and I doubt many GS'ers are. So, we either take the Tech panel's word for it or we don't. Were they uniform in the awarding of levels? Again, someone smarter than I will have to chime in.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
They need a total of no more than 28. Also anyone who makes the free has their placement count as no worse than 16. So basically one of them needs to stay at 12 or better and the other can bomb as much as they want.
Thanks a lot! I hope nobody bombs though, the competition is very tense but I like it.

katha

On the Ice
You're right about the Russians. Total score of 13 for 3 spots. My bad. I guess my brain is still reeling to see Russian couples in NINTH (!) and ELEVENTH (!!!) place after the SD. Their program is a mess.
There's just no one outstanding team. I'm sure Bob/Sol would have done a bit better, but franky with that tech panel and with how the other Zhulin team fared? They wouldn't have been much higher probably. 7th perhaps? SinKats skated way earlier than the others and they have a history this season of being particularly vulnerable in TES in the SD. And their scores are in striking distance of C/B and H/D. So they may pull up perhaps? Both S/B and S/K skated well, but they're both still teams in development (S/K particularly). They can't (yet) match the great Russian ice dance tradition, and I feel it is unfair to push those expectations on them.

The problem aren't the individual Russian dance couples, who perform well and to their capabilities. It's a structural problem with the program, as you say. OTOH, if you don't have brilliant pairs, just good pairs in development, there's no short-term solution tbh.

Giselle

Medalist
According to Ice-Dance.com on twitter:

Final group skate order - 1 GillesPoirier 2 WeaPo 3 ChockBates 4 PapaCiz 5 Shibs