2016 Worlds Short Dance | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Short Dance

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well, that's Shpilband gift. Had C/B have a semi-decent FD, I would predict them to beat S/S for second place here. But S/S should thank Tchernyshev for their second world silver. And no way C/B are going to end up off the podium. By Canadian gift, I meant as high as the both teams are right now.

Well considering one of our three teams, will not Qualify for the FP, scoring 10 points less internationally then they did 3 weeks ago at 4CC's, and W&P in 4th, no Cdn. gifting here. G&P marks were totally deserving...in fact I thought they bested C&B, who IMO should be in 5th.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Supreme sadness. The Turks just missed the cut for the FD.

Not that I'd wish anyone ill luck, but do if a couple drops out, do they get to move into that spot?

Or, is it just over for them. No hope at all?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just got back from lunch to see the Shibs in 2nd after the SD! ASCEND, PRECIOUSES! :cheer: :dance2: :yahoo:

Really, there is no need to Fix You. :laugh2:

Loving the PC right now.

Still NO QUESTION for Chock.

And "Maia and Alex, how would it be to win in Boston ?"
Agence France Press "Guillaume and Gabriella how does it feels to be here as WC and to defend your title ?"

edit : at last the last question is shared within both US teams. But Chock will be pissed to have stood here for nothing.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
There's just no one outstanding team. I'm sure Bob/Sol would have done a bit better, but franky with that tech panel and with how the other Zhulin team fared? They wouldn't have been much higher probably. 7th perhaps? SinKats skated way earlier than the others and they have a history this season of being particularly vulnerable in TES in the SD. And their scores are in striking distance of C/B and H/D. So they may pull up perhaps? Both S/B and S/K skated well, but they're both still teams in development (S/K particularly). They can't (yet) match the great Russian ice dance tradition, and I feel it is unfair to push those expectations on them.

The problem aren't the individual Russian dance couples, who perform well and to their capabilities. It's a structural problem with the program, as you say. OTOH, if you don't have brilliant pairs, just good pairs in development, there's no short-term solution tbh.

:agree:

Spot on.

I really enjoy your ID commentary by the way. That's my spontaneous gratuitous complement for the day. Now I can be a big old meanie with a clean conscience! :)

matcha

Medalist
Loving the PC right now.

Still NO QUESTION for Chock.

And "Maia and Alex, how would it be to win in Boston ?"
Agence France Press "Guillaume and Gabriella how does it feels to be here as WC and to defend your title ?"

edit : at last the last question is shared within both US teams. But Chock will be pissed to have stood here for nothing.

It low-key bums me out when they doubt ask all three questions. They're there, you have the opportunity -- take it! (Also, ask more creative questions, gosh).

Alex D

Record Breaker
Thoughts

My thoughts, based on what is possible from the ISU stream without protocols. Just a few couples, though and errors might be there, as I can not cross check with protocols.

Victoria – Nikita 67.68

I enjoyed how light and soft he was in his motion, very fluent and smooth path finding between both skaters, very tight twizzle sequence – just the last had a little visible "fight" by him, good edge quality, deep and strong, very easy for the eye – effortless and yet with great attack.

Good polka, back straight, her hand on his shoulder very light and soft, confident skating as it should be.

To me, they have an incredible talent and improve every time. Of all seniors from Russia the only that I see close to the medals in future. If they skate clean that is and Nikita has really been blooming since his departure from Elena two years ago. He is so energetic now, to me it helped him to start with a new partner, he is a much better skater now, than he was with her. A greatly balanced couple, he is leading and she does follow – both equally present, a joy to watch.

Cecilia – Jussiville 56.51

Very enjoyable Ravensburger and a new PB. Their coach Maurizia Margaglia won the Compulsory Dance with said Ravensburger at the Olympics in 2006, but they later dropped from the podium, after an error on their rotational lift, at the end of the program. I remember how Barbara was crying, no tears for the Fins today!

Kavita – Panagiotis 54.80

Good start with the straight line, difficult entry, nice twizzle sequence – well aligned, good use of music for said element. She is very strong and present, a very powerful and demanding performance.
Nice transitions between the different dances, Igor knows what he is doing there, same with Madison and Evan – very fluent program music and build.

Frederica – Lucas 61.75

Good interpretation of the Adams Family soundtrack, clean and well aligned twizzle sequence, hard to execute as well, due the nature of how they perform said element.
She is a wildcat, seductive and sexy I like that – a very beautiful woman. Nice skating to the various phrases of music, very entertaining and always changing facial expression.

Alexandra – Maxim 53.64

Great effort by the Ukrainians, she looks very lovely, very good last lift, but it needs to come easier, make it look effortless, something that will come over time I am sure. To me, I loved how gutsy they were, not holding back, giving their best.

Laurence – Nikolaj 59.75

I love her fire, she hs a really wonderful way of skating, lot´s of grace while he looks very proud of his partner.
My favorite part were the final 30 seconds, great drive and speed, good flow with the music and a very confident lift. They left a few points on the ice due smaller mistakes like in the twizzle where he couldnt keep the rotation going.

Penny – Nicholas 68.23

Very good skate, lots of power towards the end, almost a slight malfunction with his costume. Nice ice coverge, difficult holds and entry into their rotational lift – not easy to have the leg extended as shown by her in the second part of the element.

Madison – Zachary 68.44

The Americans don´t know their own skaters, how sad :eeking:... at least it was corrected quickly.

Anyways, very intense skating to Hallelujah. I love her arms and flow, good entry into the Ravensburger good use of music. Very close to the boards at times, always making it look easy, nice change of direction, super effortless.
Great selling of their elements, like the exit of their twizzle sequence – very confident. Said sequence was super strong with the hands touching their heads and neck, super entry – incredible difficult, she going backwards, him forwards. Lovely placed curve lift, greatly aligned with the phrase of music.
Very enjoyable program, lovely choreography.

Alexandra – Ivan 63.84

Loved her dress, directly from the red carpet, great arms super ballet skills, very difficult twizzle sequence, with the first in a seating position, something I saw by Russian juniors a few times this season, always impressive and so hard to execute. Traveling the ice with speed, makes this so special and is one of the most visible elements to find a difference in between top and lower tier dancers.

Charlene – Marco 65.96

Very passionate performance, great speed in the twizzle sequence and super high class entry into the curve lift, super fluent and soft exit as well.
Great transtion from the Ravensburger, lovely interpreting the joy and fun of the Polka and yet fluent and smooth with confidence.

Big fan of that pair, they are so underrated and often seen as just number two, behind the former world champions, who come a bit later.

Piper – Paul 70.70

Beatles, great ice coverage during the twizzle, from the judges to the opposite side, close especially at the end and well aligned. Nice interaction with the crowd and funny emotes. I love their little dance moves with the free leg, so relaxing and calm, nice interpretation always present and charismatic. Nice position by her in the lift, looks lovely. Love the concept of their short, it´s different and I like that. It´s hopefully reflected in the PC´s regarding choreography, interpretation and performance.

Maia – Alex 74.70

Great syncro on the twizzle, I love how long they hold them and how much ice is covered. Technical wise very strong, strongest so far. They gave it all, so much pressure on them, but they delivered what they could. Great skate without any visible errors.

Maddy – Evan 72.46

I so love their transitions, nobody does them better as seen when Unchained Melody kicks in. Their Ballroom is so wonderfully executed, great connection between both skaters, he presents his lady so beautifully, for me they created magic in their short, I love the progression of their program with the lift at the end. Evan had an error on the twizzle, he had a slight break in his rotation there, such a pity could be costly at the end.
Nontheless, for me these two are very special and have absolutely won my heart this season.

Kaitlyn – Andrew 71.83

Great transition into the Waltz, coming from the lift which was well executed and difficult. Dont they look elegant and graceful? Strong interaction between both skaters. A very smooth and fluent performance, good fight in the twizzle sequence, but they left a few points on the ice, today at least one element will be just a three, maybe more. :(

Anna – Luca 70.65

Right from the start, he presents his lady, proud he is. I like how their program progresses, especially the last 15 seconds, so much fire and power. A very joyful second part to the Polka, nice job there. The twizzle sequence, she did one more rotation than he did in the first sequence. Anna looks so wonderful, great woman!

Grabriella – Guillaume 76.29

The best at the end? Very clever outfit by her, you just kept wondering, will it drop, will it not? As for the program itself, very strong program, great ballet and art by both skaters, he is very strong as seen with that one twizzle during the step sequence by him, nice flexibility and expression in general. He is so soft in all he does, probably the best male skater on ice, today. A floating performance, great quality on ice.

Just my thoughts, without protocols. The result seems ok to me, I felt Nikita and Victoria deserved more, last starting group and 70 would be possible. That being said, they got ok scores, but I would have placed them within the NA couples.
Mistakes were very costly today, Madison and Evan, but also Kaitlyn and Andrew lost many points in TES, I can say that without having access to the protocols, as it was very visible sadly. The two without error are currently leading. It was a very interesting event, with very nice interpretation and style. I am looking forward to Hip Hop next season if it really comes, I did dance and choreograph Hip Hop myself so it will be very interesting to see, what figure skaters can come up with.

Sorry for no better review, but I only had the ISU stream and no seat at Boston.

Andrea82

Medalist
Free dance order

Nazarova/Nikitin
Torn/Partanen
Muramoto/Reed
Lorenz/Polizoakis
Silna/Kurakin

Kaliszek/Spodirev
Stepanova/Bukin
Fournier/Soresen
Testa/Csolley
Tobias/Tkachenko

Guignard/Fabbri
Cappellini/Lanotte
Comes/Buckland
Sinistina/Katsalapov
Hubbel/Donohoe

Gilles/Poirier
Weaver/Pojer
Chock/Bates
Papadakis/Cizeron
Shibutanix2

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Wow Shibsibs are the last to skate, it is gonna be a BIG finish and TD Garden is goning to erupt!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm going to defend Chock & Bates, who get a lot of gruff here. Because that is a sensational, traditional ballroom dance. THAT is what ice dancing was like for years and years (well, if we don't count the acrobatic lifts) before Torvill & Dean came in and changed everything. Evan never gets enough credit but he is a terrific partner, especially in this style. They wrongly went all arty for their FD this year, but I think they should go all Fred & Ginger next year. It would make a nice coupling with a blues/hip hop SD.

Giselle

Medalist
Russia had an outstanding team for this quad, they were called Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov...

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA 76.29 1 video
2 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 74.70 2 video
3 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 72.46 3 video
4 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 71.83 4 video
5 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 70.70 5 video
6 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 70.65 6 video
7 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 68.44 7 video
8 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND GBR 68.23 8 video
9 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 67.68 9 video
10 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 65.96 10 video
11 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 63.84 11 video
12 Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK 61.75 12 video
13 Isabella TOBIAS / Ilia TKACHENKO ISR 60.97 13 video
14 Natalia KALISZEK / Maksim SPODIREV POL 59.88 14 video
15 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN DEN 59.75 15 video
16 Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED JPN 59.00 16 video
17 Cecilia TORN / Jussiville PARTANEN FIN 56.51 17 video
18 Kavita LORENZ / Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS GER 54.80 18 video
19 Barbora SILNA / Juri KURAKIN AUT 54.63 19 video
20 Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN UKR 53.64 20 video
21 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR 53.56 21 video
22 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 52.92 22 video
24 Cortney MANSOUR / Michal CESKA CZE 51.68 24 video
25 Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV KOR 49.79 25 video
26 Celia ROBLEDO / Luis FENERO ESP 49.58 26 video
27 Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX-SENECAL ARM 47.11 27 video
28 Viktoria KAVALIOVA / Yurii BIELIAIEV BLR 40.82 28 video
29 Olga JAKUSHINA / Andrey NEVSKIY LAT 40.80 29 video
30 Anastasia KHROMOVA / Daryn ZHUNUSSOV KAZ 40.69 30 video

Russia had an outstanding team for this quad, they were called Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov...

After Sotchi I was both happy because I loved them and sad because there would be no question for gold until 2018 Olympics.

Bobrova's drug test is the end of any hope for Russia this quad. And they were maybe the lowest they ever had in dance...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think if there is one lesson for coaches and choreographers to take away from this year it is this: judges seem to want you to play by the rules in the SD. P/C seem to have been given a pass for this but for most couples, the closer they stuck to TRADITION, the better they placed here. It does make sense in a way, because the set pattern is the only way they have to judge couples SIDE BY SIDE. Just my two cents.

yuna13

On the Ice
surprise with the result , C/L 6th, W/P 4th, pleased with papadakis cizeron place but that was a evening of surprises ( i live in France).

worried about the french skating before the shibs so he will be on the judges hands if they want to give the tittle to the americans papadakis and cizeron can't do anything. but the french are really special, something always happen when they skate. the shibs have a good strong program but the french are... AMAZING;

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to defend Chock & Bates, who get a lot of gruff here. Because that is a sensational, traditional ballroom dance. THAT is what ice dancing was like for years and years (well, if we don't count the acrobatic lifts) before Torvill & Dean came in and changed everything. Evan never gets enough credit but he is a terrific partner, especially in this style. They wrongly went all arty for their FD this year, but I think they should go all Fred & Ginger next year. It would make a nice coupling with a blues/hip hop SD.

Madison, is one of the prettiest skaters I have even seen. So expressive and beautiful. I can certainly understand why the Shibs are ahead of Chock and Bates but, I sure do love C & B. The Shibs are a technical Marvel. Seriously, I absolutely love them and this program was spectacular. Lastly, the leaders, who I know nothing about since I'm usually focused on singles, deserve to be there.......Wow freakin' Wow. I loved them and the Free Dance is going to be a block buster. What a great afternoon of skating. :points:

Last edited: