Grand Prix Analysis, Winners/Losers | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Analysis, Winners/Losers

Tyranid

Final Flight
Ashley has. I don't view her as the #2 girl, but definitely in the top 5. Her ceiling is about on par with Satoko and Elena.
Ashley Wagner got the honor of getting 16'th place at her debut worlds. She is associated with loud satements and mediocre skill. She got silver in boston, with a desperate USFS trying to regain historic women's singles success, getting 215 pt. score (which she will NEVER get again). SUDDENLY, she is a contender. SUDDENLY, she gets high PCS because people think she is a poor man's version of Kostner. Nobody should get inflated PCS just because they are preceived as a poor man's versin of Kostner (or any component skater, for that matter). The 2015-2016 season was Ashely's apex rather than a stepping stone.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner got the honor of getting 16'th place at her debut worlds. She is associated with loud satements and mediocre skill. She got silver in boston, with a desperate USFS trying to regain historic women's singles success, getting 215 pt. score (which she will NEVER get again). SUDDENLY, she is a contender. SUDDENLY, she gets high PCS because people think she is a poor man's version of Kostner. Nobody should get inflated PCS just because they are preceived as a poor man's versin of Kostner (or any component skater, for that matter). The 2015-2016 season was Ashely's apex rather than a stepping stone.

:rolleye:

She's probably the best performer of the current field, which has netted her decently high PCS. If you don't like her style, find valid criticisms instead of blaming USFS.

What does her placement at her first Worlds have to do with anything? Remember Javier Fernandez's first Worlds?

Tyranid

Final Flight
:rolleye:

She's probably the best performer of the current field, which has netted her decently high PCS. If you don't like her style, find valid criticisms instead of blaming USFS.
What does her placement at her first Worlds have to do with anything? Remember Javier Fernandez's first Worlds?

I like her style. Unlike Gold she loves to skate and that can be seen even by the naked eye. The thing is that she's past prime and will not show as great results as last year. She also does have a lower ceiling than Radionova. Lenok has aquired the same amound of medals in 2 sr. years as Wagner has in 9 sr. years. Were not even talking abour Radionova's magnificent success as a junior. Elena also has better spins and jumps (no flutz, way less urs, ability to add 3T to any triples).

Let's get to the point. What are Wagner's chances at medaling at GPF and Worlds?

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I like her style. Unlike Gold she loves to skate and that can be seen even by the naked eye. The thing is that she's past prime and will not show as great results as last year. She also does have a lower ceiling than Radionova. Lenok has aquired the same amound of medals in 2 sr. years as Wagner has in 9 sr. years. Were not even talking abour Radionova's magnificent success as a junior. Elena also has better spins and jumps (no flutz, way less urs, ability to at 3T to any triples).

Let's get to the point. What are Wagner's chances at medalling at GPF and Worlds?

Elena does have better spins, but her jumps are looking less certain than last season - we'll see how those messy landings look this year. For the time being, Ashley also has a higher PCS ceiling. Elena probably has an overall higher ceiling long-term, but perhaps not next season.

Ashley was a late bloomer. Her issues with technique held her back a lot, and it's a shame she didn't start with Raf sooner. She can definitely medal but it's generally dependent on one or two skaters making mistakes.

qwerty1195

On the Ice
That's what I'm getting at, thank you for agreeing. :)

Then why do you have to go too far to describe her as a poor man's version of Carolina Kostner? No offense but it's not up to you to decide whether's someone on their apex or not and Ashley has broke expectations such as yours so many times. :sarcasm:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Then why do you have to go too far to describe her as a poor man's version of Carolina Kostner? No offense but it's not up to you to decide whether's someone on their apex or not and Ashley has broke expectations such as yours so many times. :sarcasm:

A poor man's version of Kostner is not an insult to Wagner as she is much less successful and talented than her. I also don't decide. I make objective observations. It's inherently harder for her to keep. She didn't break my expectations either. I knew that if either of the Americans skated well in Boston, they'd get on the podium. Ashley did and got on the podium. No surprise.

You know what, lets wait and see. What makes FS exciting is it's unpredictability, isn't it? :)

Also, welcome to the GS forum! (unless you are andromache's alternate... jk :biggrin:)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... SUDDENLY, she gets high PCS because people think she is a poor man's version of Kostner. Nobody should get inflated PCS just because they are preceived as a poor man's versin of Kostner (or any component skater, for that matter). ....

...I make objective observations. ...

(1) It is nothing more than your subjective opinion that Wagner is a poor man's version of Kostner.
It is by no means an objective observation.

(2) I find it a laughable notion that at the moment when a judge is in the hot seat deciding on PCS for a particular performance of a particular program, s/he is perceiving any skater as a poor man's version of any other skater.
That is my subjective opinion in response to another of your subjective opinions -- which again is by no means an objective observation.

ioanna

Record Breaker
:laugh: I remember when Tatsuki Machida was called a "bad xerox copy of Daisuke Takahashi who should be retiring already" i.e. he was too old and less talented to belong in the same league as Yuzuru Hanyu. And then when he retired he had a 17-page thread full of crying emojis, regrets and "he was so talented he will be missed" posts written by the same people who used to destroy him every time someone said the gold at 2014 Worlds should have went to him.

Sorry for the :eek:topic: Carry on (doing the same old thing). :coffee:

mrrice

Record Breaker

She doesn't have what it takes! Her landings are stiff! She cracks under the pressure! She cost Russia a spot at the Olympics in 1993 when she didn't make the free skate at Worlds! Don't give her any more money! She'll NEVER win a thing outside of her own Country! Most Important of all. SHE WILL NEVER BEAT MICHELLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Those are just a few of the things that people used to say to me back in the 90's when I would talk about my love for Maria Butyrskaya. Truthfully, I never thought that Maria would beat Michelle but it didn't make me love her any less. Well, we all know how that ended. She proved all her doubters were wrong and won 1999 World Championships, kissed me on the cheek, and made me a lifetime fan. Like Maria, Ashley is very popular with "Seasoned" fans in the US. We've seen her along with Mirai for nearly a decade. IMO, they have cemented their popularity with Fans around the World even if they never win another event.

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
(1) It is nothing more than your subjective opinion that Wagner is a poor man's version of Kostner.
It is by no means an objective observation.

(2) I find it a laughable notion that at the moment when a judge is in the hot seat deciding on PCS for a particular performance of a particular program, s/he is perceiving any skater as a poor man's version of any other skater.
That is my subjective opinion in response to another of your subjective opinions -- which again is by no means an objective observation.

My objective observation was regarding her technical ability. Didn't mean to include her PCS into that, sorry.
Either way, she will not medal at the GPF or worlds. That is my prediction.

If anyone wants to continue this discussion, let's take it to PMs.

Rissa

Record Breaker
SUDDENLY, she gets high PCS because people think she is a poor man's version of Kostner.

Lol, whut.

Yeah, judges love giving out those PCS just because people think somebody is a poor man's version of somebody else.

Not even presenting it as his/her opinion but other people's opinion. Like, what even. Receipts please, where did he/she get the notion that ~people~ think that.

If anyone wants to continue this discussion, let's take it to PMs.

Yeah, "Let me hide the fact that people react to the BS I'm saying in PMs". Wonderful.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Moral of the story: Skaters are always developing, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse (and people can often agree or disagree what is good development and what is bad development). Have your observations, opinions, predictions, but be open to the possibility that the skater can surprise you! Just like Ashley Wagner, Maria Butyrskaya, and Tatsuki Machida. Fans can be unimpressed by a skater and then change their minds!

...(Maria B).kissed me on the cheek and made me a lifelong fan....

What do I have to do to get Angelika Krylova to kiss me on the cheek? (I am already a lifetime fan.) :)

TRyranid said:
SUDDENLY, she gets high PCS because people think she is a poor man's version of Kostner.

? Ashley Wagner is nothing like Carolina Kostner, rich or poor. I do not see the comparison at all.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My objective observation was regarding her technical ability. Didn't mean to include her PCS into that, sorry.
Either way, she will not medal at the GPF or worlds. That is my prediction.

Objectively, Ashley is probably the weakest technically of the top 5 finishers at worlds when it comes to natural jumping ability. However, she is a better competitor than most so when she is clean she can be right near the top of any event. I agree with MM, there is no comparison with Carolina Kostner at all. In fact, I'd probably say they are more opposite: Kostner has great technique but questionable competitiveness, while Ashley is a competitor who isn't a natural jumper.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What do I have to do to get Angelika Krylova to kiss me on the cheek? (I am already a lifetime fan.) :)

It depends on where Angelika is from? In my case, I screamed Maria....Preveet. It's spelled weird in English but it sounds like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-LyIzHnsc Anyway, I screamed it until she finally heard me. I gave her flowers and she kissed me the cheek. I stood there frozen with a goofy smile on my face that didn't leave for hours and I was in trance for a week.....:love:

mrrice said:
It depends on where Angelika is from? In my case, I screamed Maria....Preveet. It's spelled weird in English but it sounds like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-LyIzHnsc Anyway, I screamed it until she finally heard me. I gave her flowers and she kissed me the cheek. I stood there frozen with a goofy smile on my face that didn't leave for hours and I was in trance for a week.....:love:

I've got the goofy smile down, but not the Russian. :)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I don't think Maria sotskova is a dark horse at this point. She just won Ondrej Nepela by over 20 points, and her PCS was 61! That'll just rise and rise throughout the season. I think she could possibly make the final or be an alternate.
I also can't count out Elena or Elizaveta. they are former world medalists, and Russian to boot. Liza might land that 3A, too.....
The judges just adore Gracie, so I think she can make the final too.
Mao and Wakaba are my biggest question marks right now. We'll see Wakaba tomorrow.....fingers crossed for her.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Wakaba did a pretty good job winning Lombardia and she wasn't feeling well.