2016-17 GPF Mens SP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens SP

Dots

Final Flight
Adam should have gotten 4th. Uno has no business being on top of Chen and Rippon.

frida80

Record Breaker
So we had a 4lz, 4F, 4lo, 4S, and a 4t in one competition. I think this definitely a first.

Raomina

On the Ice
So we had a 4lz, 4F, 4lo, 4S, and a 4t in one competition. I think this definitely a first.
People keep mentioning this but am I missing something from NHK? Don't Nathan and Yuzuru have all of those jumps together?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not wayyy higher but about 1-1.5 points higher. Hanyu still had a good level of performance and was exciting to watch. Chan had lovely lines though. Chan should have definitely been ahead though - particularly in comparison to Javier who had skated just prior to him with bad errors.

Sorry, no. In terms of performance, Hanyu was light years ahead of Chan, who sort of telescopes into himself and forgets about the audience. Hanyu was mesmerizing---he had the audience and the judges hanging on his every move. I wasn't the least bit surprised that he got higher PCS than Chan who delivered a clean but rather bland performance.

shyne

Final Flight
People keep mentioning this but am I missing something from NHK? Don't Nathan and Yuzuru have all of those jumps together?

We were missing one of the Quad brothers at NHK. I believe Nathan failed to land 4Lz in both SP and FS.

da96103

Record Breaker
In their press conference, they talked about what they are focusing on, and Yuzu said he wanted the audience to complete his performance, to do it like a live concert, Patrick said he was doing it just like practice. -Both good strategies, and you can see the strategies in the performance as well. Patrick calm, cool, collected. Yuzu rocking it like a live concert.

Yuzu been watching Jerry Macguire again. You complete me. *sniff*

icekiwi

On the Ice
Sorry, no. In terms of performance, Hanyu was light years ahead of Chan, who sort of telescopes into himself and forgets about the audience. Hanyu was mesmerizing---he had the audience and the judges hanging on his every move. I wasn't the least bit surprised that he got higher PCS than Chan who delivered a clean but rather bland performance.

Agree. Chan has 'same ballerina' movements in both SP & LP with some jumps thrown in. They also happen to be the same old body movements for the last and previous years' programs. The 'performance' today between them are miles apart.

Raomina

On the Ice
We were missing one of the Quad brothers at NHK. I believe Nathan failed to land 4Lz in both SP and FS.
Oh so it's about standing up on them. OK thanks! I was wondering because Jackie Wong was saying that it was the first time there will be 5 different quads at the same competition before the competition started.

da96103

Record Breaker

And many more happy reunions to come. Now that this is achieved, I am expecting that very soon the quad brothers would finally ex-communicate 3Lz out of the SP final group house entirely.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I admire Patrick's edges and fluidity but I never feel anything when he skates. His programs tend feel a bit too emotionally internalized, predictable and controlled, like all the energy and freshness has been buffed out of them.

Today Yuzu radiated emotion, spirit, energy, charisma and raw star power. He pulled the audience in, fed off their energy and then shot it back to them, magnified to a white hot intensity. He left everything on the ice. A full on rock star.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
At the press conference, Yuzu gave a nice shout-out to Alexei and Cha in the juniors. Cha "I have no advice to give him because he has all the skills" and Alexei "Did the first 4Lo in competition which gave me motivation to land my 4Lo"

Those two juniors won't be able to sleep a wink. Their names have been uttered by the Prince.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The judging :scratch2:

I hope the "inflation" chatter will get its final nail in the coffin.:unsure:

Love Yuzu's enthusiasm and energy, but Patrick's was the best skate in my book tonight, though this isn't my favourite SP of his.

Except for Rippon, Patrick also had the easiest program of all the men---he went for just ONE quad, a 4t, and he landed that one on a lean. Hanyu way outperformed Chan, and you think Chan was best because he was clean, and Hanyu had to save a QUAD LOOP? No mention that Hanyu went on to land a beautiful 4S+3T and a HUGE 3A that covered three times the ice that Chan's does.

And yes, Jin Boyang would have delivered better quads than anyone (save Patrick) tonight. Thank you judges, for making him miss JPF by 1 pt. I normally like Rippon but this is one of the tackiest programs I[ve seen.:disapp: And let's not even talk about Shoma's scores for crossovers and falls....or Nathan's wonky combos, falls, etc scoring higher than a clean Boyang.

Here's how Boyang skated at SA (I was there)
SP: 4z↓-nc, 3a-fo, 4t↓
FS: 4z, 4s, 3a+1lo<+3s, 4t<↓, 4t+2t, 3z+3t, 3a, 3f!
Because of his poor SP, he was 5th overall (7 points)

At CoC:
SP: 4z+3t, 3a, 4t
FS: 4z, 4s, 3a+1lo+3s, 4t<↓, 4t+2t, 3z+3t, 3a, 3f
He finished 2nd to Chan (13 points; 13+7=20)

Rippon had two bronze medals for 22 points, so it wasn't by one point.....

If Nathan scores higher than a clean Boyang it is because Nathan does have presentation skills---he didn't have all those quads when he won the JGPF last year.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest, Hanyu's performance kind of left me feeling like an Elvis goes to Vegas, or a Tom Jones meets the church ladies moment (without certain...umm clothing). I much prefer the skating quality that is = to Patrick Chan's performance.

Chan's skating quality is excellent. But IMO he is not much of a performer---he is too inward-focused, almost as if he is skating to please himself, not the audience.

Hanyu was skating to Prince and in effect he became Prince and his program became a rock concert that played to and involved the audience. It was one of the most brilliant performances I have ever seen from him. And of course his technical skills are excellent, too.

da96103

Record Breaker
Question regarding falls. If a jump is landed with both hands on ice but the buttocks do not touch the ice, how do you decide it is a fall.

Looking closely at Javier's 4S and 3A landings.

The 4S lands with the front of the body facing down, arms in front, both hands on ice. Not considered a fall since GOE mostly minus 2.

The 3A lands with body facing upwards, arm behind the body, both hands on ice. Considered a fall, GOE mostly minus 3.

da96103

Record Breaker
Quad report card

4Lz: one iffy
4F: one good, one fall
4Lo: one iffy
4S: one good, one iffy
4T: two good, one fall

Total 9 quads: 4 good, 3 iffy, 2 falls

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Question regarding falls. If a jump is landed with both hands on ice but the buttocks do not touch the ice, how do you decide it is a fall.

Looking closely at Javier's 4S and 3A landings.

The 4S lands with the front of the body facing down, arms in front, both hands on ice. Not considered a fall since GOE mostly minus 2.

The 3A lands with body facing upwards, arm behind the body, both hands on ice. Considered a fall, GOE mostly minus 3.

No, it's a magic trick. He did not put his hands on the ice. So it's not a fall. Look closely and you will see a superhuman balancing act. :biggrin:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
No, it's a magic trick. He did not put his hands on the ice. So it's not a fall. Look closely and you will see a superhuman balancing act. :biggrin:

Step out, but his hands were UP! It's the TCC way. They probably have a class specialized in teaching superhuman landings :thumbsup:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1 dollar... 10 if he looks like matteo 100 if he looks like nikolaj.... you know.. having a harem is very expensive LOL... cannot offer much more
I finally got rid of my brother, well after the snow finally stopped he shovelled my walkway, took us all out to a Chinese buffet for supper, and then spent $150 on my daughter at Toys R Us for her birthday. Thank god he's gone, now I can take off my pants, crack open a few more cans of Palm Bay and read the 20+ pages in both threads that I've missed. He really needs to consult the figure skating competition schedule before planning a surprise visit next time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

By the way, he makes 85K a year and he's single! I'll be auctioning him off to the highest bidder.

Ok enough about my life, let's talk skating. I'm so excited that Patrick and Yuzuru didn't have simultaneous meltdowns! Unreal! :cheer: Usually the mens events are the ones that end with disappointment, irritability and bewilderment. Not today, Satan! For the most part, anyway: I'm pretty sad for Shoma. I feel somewhat impartial to Javi. Nathan? No comment, meh. And of course let's not forget fabolulous Adam, I've already rewatched his program five times. :love: A bit slower than usual, but still so much fun. He was having a party on the ice and invited us all to it.

bobbob

Medalist
Chan's skating quality is excellent. But IMO he is not much of a performer---he is too inward-focused, almost as if he is skating to please himself, not the audience.

Hanyu was skating to Prince and in effect he became Prince and his program became a rock concert that played to and involved the audience. It was one of the most brilliant performances I have ever seen from him. And of course his technical skills are excellent, too.

Agreed, Yuzu was a better performer, but i guess the argument for Patrick is that it is a skating competition and only a skating competition not a rock concert or gala. SO even though I preferred Yuzu, I can understand the scores.