zschultz1986

Final Flight
:laugh2:

Plus, let's hope he doesn't forget:
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- the Tsunami of 2011
- the JFK Assassination
- the John Lennon Assassination

Obviously the hottest take would be to do some kind of ISIS inspired program, complete with beheadings. He can pair this with another program he makes called 'Ode to al-Assad'

Or some sort of Wikileaks/Russian Hacking of the American 2016 Presidential Election program.

Or Meldonium. YES. It'll just be a program to Britney's "Stonger" and the girl can dress up in as a white pill. Or dress up as Tuk in her mumus... or as Sharapova.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Great competition. It was enjoyable to watch, and no one fell (which is always a bonus)! :party2: Thoughts on each lady:

Satoko: She is my favorite competing skater. I love her skating and honestly, her everything! My favorite performance and program of the six (though they probably should have carroted her 3T lolol). May the force be with her for the free.
Kaetlyn: Skating to a song about Paris in Marseille. :laugh: Her jumps are huge though, and it's nice to see her in the GPF, considering her injuries in past seasons. I'm slowly becoming a fan.
Maria: Bit of a snooze for me, but that's because of the music.
Anna: I love her, and bless Misha Ge for this choreography. Not the best she's performed this short, but she didn't let the turnout on the 3Lo get to her, and that's pretty admirable. That step sequence was fire.
Elena: Her jumps really scare me, but I always appreciate her grit and commitment to her programs.
Evgenia: I have an irrational hatred of River Flows in You, and mixed with the hopscotch...I couldn't deal. However, there is no denying that she put out a great skate tonight and is very talented. She deserves better programs! She can do so much better imo.

Hope the free skates tomorrow will match the quality of this event! :cheer: Also, how many world records have been broken so far (including the juniors)?

badknees

Medalist
Obviously the hottest take would be to do some kind of ISIS inspired program, complete with beheadings. He can pair this with another program he makes called 'Ode to al-Assad'

Or some sort of Wikileaks/Russian Hacking of the American 2016 Presidential Election program.

Or Meldonium. YES. It'll just be a program to Britney's "Stonger" and the girl can dress up in as a white pill. Or dress up as Tuk in her mumus... or as Sharapova.

OK, now you all got me joining in. Someone needs to shave their hair on the ice, just like Brittany did.
Hey, didn't they outlaw dying or falling down on the ice for some reason? Did that have something to do with Witt? Can you fall down on the ice again?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Sooo happy for Satoko!
Mixed feelings about the two top ladies, not their fault of-course. :biggrin:
I really dislike Osmond's music, but her program is well choreographed.
I really love Evgenia's music but hate the choreography. :hopelessness:

Hehehe. I'm too picky.

Cheering for Anna in the FS! :love:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
OK, now you all got me joining in. Someone needs to shave their hair on the ice, just like Brittany did.
Hey, didn't they outlaw dying or falling down on the ice for some reason? Did that have something to do with Witt? Can you fall down on the ice again?

Well.. I don't think you can do the big epic sliding across the ice on your side whilst dying thing (so popular in ID especially) and I'm not sure you can lie on the ice dying but there are definitely some end poses that seem like the person is in the process of dying. I think it's really about how long you are allowed to be in the process of dying.

The difficulty with the headshave would be that you could only really do it to full effect once. You'd have to save it up for the WC. And a wig would be cheating.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Oh my god, don't give him any ideas! He might be reading this at some point! :laugh2: Besides, he just covered that theme with that holocaust tribute that went viral last week...

Other ridiculous themes that I wouldn't put past Averbukh:
- a tribute to Columbine, Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech
- the OJ Simpson trial
- the Waco siege
- the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre
- the Manson family murders

... crap, now I'm the one giving him ideas. :slink:

well...what more can one say, except,...I LOVE YOU, SarahSynchro!!! :eek::

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Sooo happy for Satoko!

I too am happy for Satoko. Her programs this season have a much more polished and grown-up presentation: bigger jumps with better flow out; delicate arm movements; well-chosen music; tasteful and expensive-looking dresses appropriate for an elite senior skater. She looks happy and comfortable on the ice.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Haha. I guess I don't mind the skipping to show happiness. At least I understood that! But I still contend that if you are telling a story you should want folks to understand, or why bother.
It's almost demeaning of the choreographer to be so high browed to use some sort of high art, that only the high brow, educated artistic type can understand. I'm not sure skating is the place for this.
Bring it down to the masses plz!

Or how about this, tell the story through the skating and not by putting in mimed "effects" like taking a selfie. I don't consider this highbrow at all, but Dancing-with-the-Stars level cheese.

Polina Edmonds told the same story in her much-maligned Gone With the Wind program, and I think she actually told it better. At least she did it through her skating, and not with theatrical tricks.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thanks, missdaisy for talking with me! So, here you mention leaving room in the scores. This is what I'm getting at. Why leave room? I don't think there is a top score like in the 6.0 system. Give high marks to the first skater, if someone skates better later on, give higher marks. Even with the 6.0 system, so give a 6.0 to the first skater and a 6.0 to the last skater. Does it really matter if there is a tie?

The TES doesn't have a firm ceiling and the judges seem to mark that properly, but PCS only goes up to 10 so I guess they kind of need an idea of how to mark a skater if she performs well before she skates.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I too am happy for Satoko. Her programs this season have a much more polished and grown-up presentation: bigger jumps with better flow out; delicate arm movements; well-chosen music; tasteful and expensive-looking dresses appropriate for an elite senior skater. She looks happy and comfortable on the ice.

I agree. Love her FS!!! :luv17: . On the other hand, I'm trying hard to like her SP since her first competition in USA, but I can't get it, there's something not quite great about it, it's not a remarkable program :noshake: I miss her firedance program so much.

stella luna

Final Flight
I thought it was because Sasha messed up a move at the end of her Romeo and Juliet program and fell to the ice to cover for it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought it was because Sasha messed up a move at the end of her Romeo and Juliet program and fell to the ice to cover for it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you can safely blame Torvill and Dean for the dying on the ice thing. Bolero was huge, HUGE! and then everyone and their mother tried to copy it.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i watched Anna. She did great. :agree: I have no interest watching the others. Tbh the scoring since a couple of years now had me lose nearly all interest in the ladies event. I watched the junior ladies today and it was the same. shame

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Evgenia is the absolute best in the field right now.

No she isn't. Osmond deserved to beat her. Better choreography and interpretation, deeper edges, more powerful jumps.

These scores are outrageous. Evgenia didn't get less than a +2 GOE from any judge on any element, and +3's all over the place. This is so wrong. There is better footwork, better double axels, better spins out there. Calling these +3 worthy makes the scoring pointless. Not to mention those PCS.

The flaws are blatantly obvious too. She traveled on her camel spin. How do you give that +3?? It's all a sham. She's simply the chosen one and gets held up.

rain

Record Breaker
I say you go even more avant-garde. How about a Dolphin being rounded up to go to seaworld? Think of the music.. think of the miming possibilities. Maybe you could even pretend to catch a fish after landing your triple lutz. You could wave goodbye to your other dolphin friends as you are carted off for a life time of slavery and imprisonment.

And then for the long I'm going full Bombing of Dresden complete with lots of arm flailing to signal the people burning to death. You could have airplane sound effects and maybe VOs of the airraid warnings.

OH GOD. I need to take up choreography as a career. (it's all fun and choreography until it's a cause or an event you actually care about)

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, as it made me laugh out loud.

I can't help but feel like Kaetlyn got a little shafted by skating order today. Even the BESP guys were surprised her PCS wasn't higher. I had no expectation that she would beat a clean Medvedeva, as Medvedeva backloads and has her elements set up to outpoint everyone, especially if she is clean.

I'm just hoping to see Kaetlyn skate clean, or close to it, in the FS. She hasn't really had a spectacular FS yet this season, and I'd love to see her stay in second.

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
No she isn't. Osmond deserved to beat her. Better choreography and interpretation, deeper edges, more powerful jumps.

Osmond was FIERCE. Huge jumps, effortless glide and speed, emotion - a strong, mature program.

What's in the water up there in Canada? You've got three powerhouse jumpers in Osmond, Gaby and Alaine!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's too bad about these scores, because I do think this is the best Evgenia has performed the program. But it is hardly deserving of being the top scoring SP ever.

Osmond has really improved. Her spins used to be a weaker point but now she is competitive in that area.

randomfan

Record Breaker
And the wave of frustation continues...

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: One word - NO. :disagree::palmf::ddevil::curse::hslap::angry1::tantrum:
2. Kaetlyn Osmond: She's really starting to grow on me. Her jumps are incredible and she sells the program so well. I still think her PCS was a little bit too high but regardless I enjoyed her the most today!
3. Satoko Miyahara: I've always been a fan of Satoko, but I wasn't a fan of her SP this season. Just like with Kaetlyn though, Satoko's SP is starting to grow on me as well. Her PCS was scored about right in that sense. But I don't understand why her TES was so high...
4. Anna Pogorilaya: Her program is really good and I love the flair she puts into it! A very nice save on the 3Lo as well. It's great to see that Anna is now really confident and that confidence is shown by how she's delivering strong program after strong program. Again, there are issues with the score, but I did enjoy her a lot.
5. Elena Radionova: Elena seemed tense today. The jumps were iffy and she didn't seem to be giving as much expression as before (or maybe the camera angle was deceiving me :devil:). Skating first in the FS is not always an easy task, so I hope she does well.
6. Maria Sotskova: It was a good performance, but she lost a lot of points on the URs and is behind by a lot. It'll be interesting to see how she does in the FS.

With the highly ridiculous overscoring of Medvedeva and Zagitova it's getting harder to watch this sport without being distracted by the thought of scores. And I used to tolerate minor overscoring like most of the skaters got here, but now the thought of scores keep going through my mind.

I'd have the scores as:
1. Kaetlyn 72
2. Satoko 70-71
3. Evgenia 70
4. Anna 69-70 (would be higher than Satoko and Evgenia if the mistake wasn't there)
5. Elena 66-67
6. Maria 64