2017 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Free Dance

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Did V/M re-arrange their elements or place some of them earlier in the FD? I remember the elements being timed differently to the music which I think worked much better before. I don't remember that big pose section after the dance spin. It seemed like a big empty spot compared to what it was like previously. I preferred the FD during the GP series.

They've always posed in that spot. The reason it probably feels different is because prior to this event they were doing a Combination spin and now it's just a normal spin. I think they were just having a little trouble with it (they got a level 2 for it at Nationals of all places and low GOEs), so they were probably advised to change it. This means they also transition into the Latch music a little sooner now than before because the time length of their spin has been reduced.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So once again all three Australian teams had one judge pin them for "violation of choreography restrictions". With the same programs they've been using all season. The smart money is that it was the same judge as yesterday. What the actual HECK?

I've been looking at protocols all year and it seems to me that almost every dance team in every GP event got one (sometimes two) vote for "violation of choreographic restrictions". So there seems to be one or a few cranky judges out there seeing things that no one else (including the rest of the judges) sees. I don't think it's an anti-Australia conspiracy.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Best discovery of ID this year for me has been Mr. Sun. What a bright light. Such joy and abandon. I don't really understand some of the technical elements of ID but I do know happiness and commitment when I see it. Well done, sir. I hope we see more of you and the other Chinese ID (and Korean and Australian) on the GP circuit this year.

Let's hear it for Mr Sun (AKA Mr All the Single Ladies). I think that SD is going to feature on several "top 5 performances" lists. I know it will be on mine.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think you are totally correct. I think the order is problematic to be honest. It shouldn't always be pairs first if they have the team event. Gives teams without two strong pairs a real disadvantage. I'd love to see them allow 2 changes for each discipline (yes, I realize that's a lot of skaters but I always want more winners rather than fewer). Then we could have D/R and (I'm assuming) S/B for pairs, Patrick and probably Nam but maybe Kevin (I too liked Nic's performance of Elvis but I think my heart would totally come apart and I'd be a wreck of ugly crying if Balde made the team and won a medal in the team event-yes I know this won't happen), V/M and W/P for dance and Kaetlyn and Gabby for women.

I also think they should allow different skaters in the short/free for all disciplines in the team event. True, it gives a slight advantage to countries with more depth, but why shouldn't having more depth be rewarded in a team event? Allowing 2 "substitutions" but not all 4 seems really random.

I actually suspect the team event was designed solely to get Plushenko another Olympic gold medal that he couldn't have possibly earned in the men's singles event, even if he hadn't burned himself out in the team event. Conspiracy theory anyone?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have never noticed that Shib fans aren't D/W fans before. That is interesting.
I never doubted that D/W worked really hard, were super committed and very, very skilled. I just couldn't connect with them. I realize (and yes this super idiotic of me) now that part of it was Charlie's hair. He never looked like anything other than a petulant teen to me. Meryl was lovely and sophisticated and Charlie looked like he should have a skateboard and a Mr. Slurpee to hand.

I always thought that Davis and White were ill-matched in their packaging. My daughter described it as "surfer/stoner dude" and "ice princess/ballerina". For me, it also seemed to be reflected in their skating: Charlie was kind of wild and passionate and Meryl was icy and precise. It seem like what you'd get if you matched Maia Shibutani with Cizeron: they're each good, but not a good match. Or if you matched Madison Chock with Evan Bates: oops, someone did that.

I was amazed by Meryl on Dancing with the Stars: she really performed. She seemed like a different person to me.

nocturnalis

Medalist
I'm not surprised V/M won despite not performing as well as usual. They have different built-in issues than the Shibs. For example, V/M are always going to score less on twizzles because of their entrance (they start at pretty much the same place, so they aren't able to get the separation that they are supposed and this causes Scott to mess up twizzles more times this season than he has his entire junior and senior career). Likewise, Shibs are the to score less on step sequences because levels depend on edges and their edges are lesser defined than V/M.

Bcash

Final Flight
Never cared much for Virtue and Moir's programs. They always seem the same to me and rather boring. What an ugly dress, it makes her look like she is overweight.

V/M's last FD that I was captivated by was their 2008 program. I rarely re-watch their FDs that came after that season.
Their innocent/romantic lovers type of FDs just doesn't hold my interest, especially the two Olympic season programs (the 2014 one was particularly bland). And you would think that they would try to expand their artistic range after coming back as true veterans and former Olympic champions, yet they are back to the same old again. It's becoming increasingly less convincing or interesting.

Bcash

Final Flight
I always thought that Davis and White were ill-matched in their packaging. My daughter described it as "surfer/stoner dude" and "ice princess/ballerina". For me, it also seemed to be reflected in their skating: Charlie was kind of wild and passionate and Meryl was icy and precise. It seem like what you'd get if you matched Maia Shibutani with Cizeron: they're each good, but not a good match. Or if you matched Madison Chock with Evan Bates: oops, someone did that.

I was amazed by Meryl on Dancing with the Stars: she really performed. She seemed like a different person to me.

I think Charlie always had excellent lines and posture, alongside the flair, while Meryl improved to catch up with him towards the later state of their careers. I remember both Eurosport commentators and Kurt Browning saying their eyes were more drawn to Charlie when D/W were on the ice.

Interestingly I've always thought V/M physically ill-matched. She seemed and still seems too tall and big-boned for him. It's worse this season because, while I know Tessa has never been the leanest of ice dancers, the weight she has put on during their off-time is still visible after a season of hard training and high-level competition.

stella luna

Final Flight
It's shocking to me how anyone could say she looks overweight in that costume. I saw no fat, no lumps, anywhere. More so, she is a professional athlete who has won gold at the Olympics; she is still in good shape and, though she has been away from amateur competition for a while, is actually beating the competition. I wonder what is happening between the eyes and the brain that makes someone say she looks overweight, and can actually understand how pressure from society contributes to eating disorders in women.

Never cared much for Virtue and Moir's programs. They always seem the same to me and rather boring. What an ugly dress, it makes her look like she is overweight.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
It's shocking to me how anyone could say she looks overweight in that costume. I saw no fat, no lumps, anywhere. More so, she is a professional athlete who has won gold at the Olympics; she is still in good shape and, though she has been away from amateur competition for a while, is actually beating the competition. I wonder what is happening between the eyes and the brain that makes someone say she looks overweight, and can actually understand how pressure from society contributes to eating disorders in women.

I totally agree with you. It's easy to make comments like that when you're hiding behind a computer screen. I've seen Tessa in person many times and she is both physically fit and absolutely beautiful - inside and out.

nocturnalis

Medalist
This happens literally every season near World's.

olayolay

On the Ice
Some of these comments are disgusting. No wonder so many female figure skaters end up with eating disorders.

rain

Record Breaker

These comments are repulsive. If people are willing to say that about someone who is so incredibly thin and fit as Tessa Virtue, imagine what they think of all us regular folks. Tessa is not, and doesn't look, remotely overweight. People need to check themselves and re-think before posting something so ugly, since IMO it says more about them than whoever their undeserving target of the moment is.

maya1985

On the Ice
Forget the scores at Europeans, they are just completely meaningless... and in all 4 categories!

As for the judges saying V/M will be World champions whatever performances are delivered by P/C and S/S (unless V/M makes huge mistakes), well... I don't know.
This season is quite weird imHo. To me, NHK GP, Rostelecom GP, Europeans and now 4C are quite questionable. I know pre OG seasons are always very special, with lots of conflicting interests, some focusing on the OG podium while others prepare (already) the after OG.

I would like to forget them, but unfortunately I feel more it's like the reality of judges ...:shocked:
I also think that V/M will be world champions without any problems, even with a few small mistakes. Sincerely, with their scores, I find it hard to imagine another scenario even if it is not the one I want and hope:scratch2:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
V/M's last FD that I was captivated by was their 2008 program. I rarely re-watch their FDs that came after that season.
Their innocent/romantic lovers type of FDs just doesn't hold my interest, especially the two Olympic season programs (the 2014 one was particularly bland). And you would think that they would try to expand their artistic range after coming back as true veterans and former Olympic champions, yet they are back to the same old again. It's becoming increasingly less convincing or interesting.

I think Charlie always had excellent lines and posture, alongside the flair, while Meryl improved to catch up with him towards the later state of their careers. I remember both Eurosport commentators and Kurt Browning saying their eyes were more drawn to Charlie when D/W were on the ice.

Interestingly I've always thought V/M physically ill-matched. She seemed and still seems too tall and big-boned for him. It's worse this season because, while I know Tessa has never been the leanest of ice dancers, the weight she has put on during their off-time is still visible after a season of hard training and high-level competition.

Welcome to GoldenSkate Bcash. Post long, post often!

I am sorry you think they are not expanding their artistic range. The Prince SD is certainly different from what we've seen before as they've never done hip hop. As for the FD: the story in this program is quite different than Carmen, Funny Face, or the Hip Hip Chin Chin FD. For one, this a longer story about the evolution of a relationship.

But if you do believe they should expand their range further, how about giving them another season? They're still in the first of their comeback.

As for her body, can you be sure she's not put on muscle? By the way, Tessa is sponsored by Adidas. It's just me, but I am thinking they wouldn't take on an athlete who was not in good shape. Once again, that's my opinion.

In general, I find that comments about a skater's weight are kind of grasping at straws though. Nothing else to comment on?

royce

Rinkside
Comments re: skating are fine but comments about weight are disgusting. Pick the skating apart if you want.

Anyway, another thing that affects the Shibs' PCS probably is that they (still) skate small on the ice whereas V/M skate big.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think Tessa has a beautiful dancer's body, and I also think Scott looks perfect with Tessa and always has. Especially now when they both have more mature bodies. Tessa has a shape that reminds me of some of the best jazz and stage dancers like Gwen Verdon. Verdon knew how to move her body in ways that only looked right with someone with curves to show off. One of the greatest dancers of all time, IMO. I'd say that's not a bad body to have for dance. I think Tessa and Scott's look makes their choreography in their Prince SD as successful as it is. One needs a figure to show off.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This happens literally every season near World's.

it seems like happening constantly since they returned to Competition. Jealousy and being bitter over your team losing to Tessa and Scott are toxic feelings themselves and should not project onto physical appearances, never. This kind of comments speaks a lot about people who are making them and I feel genuinely sorry for those with such issues. And if those comments are taking their source from physical appearance perceptions/convictions of their authors, I feel even more sorry for the way they are living.

All sports have their phisical demands and none of professional athletes should be judged only based on their appearances. Constructive critic about phisical aspects that will help athlete to improve, gain confidence and results - yes, but no for brainless, pointless and low bashing, taken from frustration.

I think Tessa has a beautiful dancer's body, and I also think Scott looks perfect with Tessa and always has. Especially now when they both have more mature bodies. Tessa has a shape that reminds me of some of the best jazz and stage dancers like Gwen Verdon. Verdon knew how to move her body in ways that only looked right with someone with curves to show off. One of the greatest dancers of all time, IMO. I'd say that's not a bad body to have for dance. I think Tessa and Scott's look makes their choreography in their Prince SD as successful as it is. One needs a figure to show off.

ditto, for me the way Tessa looks elevates her skating and it is a source of her marvelous skill. She's promoting an image of strong, athletic and healthy body. In my opinion it's her skill, talent and personality that makes her beautiful, successful and respected, not her body. And she does not look or behave like her body defines her as an athlete or a person - it is a carefully nutured instrument to present her hard work and dedication.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, I'm really impressed with this "overweight" Virtue. I could watch her all day, really moved by how she ignores the constant whispering about her weight and does what she does :)