Patrick Chan | Page 510 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Didn't we always know it was Kathy who quit? I suspected some politics, maybe some discord from the Richmond skating school.

ermmm... maybe? I mean yes... in the sense that Patrick didn't fire her... but if he says : break from coaching.... that's harsh...

i mean we were speculating about the fact that perhaps she no longer wanted to move west etc....and issues with the skating school... but we never heard anything really from Patrick if I recall... this, to me, is the "clearest" answer given so far... and of course... it may be the "official answer" but i don't recall hearing anything as precise in the past...

we would need to backtrack to last year's posts in this thread LOL

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
ermmm... maybe? I mean yes... in the sense that Patrick didn't fire her... but if he says : break from coaching.... that's harsh...

i mean we were speculating about the fact that perhaps she no longer wanted to move west etc....and issues with the skating school... but we never heard anything really from Patrick if I recall... this, to me, is the "clearest" answer given so far... and of course... it may be the "official answer" but i don't recall hearing anything as precise in the past...

we would need to backtrack to last year's posts in this thread LOL

What was known is that Kathy resigned. Patrick remains very respectful and grateful towards her but nobody wants to give a real explanation. My suspicion is her role as a coach and maybe as proposed by Patrick in the skating school was objected to. She faced a lot of derision as a main coach, especially as Patrick's, that she ignored but perhaps some direct conflict was the last straw.

That's all I would say and speculate on this. Everybody has moved on.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The revelation by Patrick that I'm happiest about is that he has realized the power of the mind. Quieting the mind, staying in the moment and focusing on the task at hand are what I've been hoping for him to appreciate and practice. It's because he has stayed in the game this long that he's grown into a mature conscious person. I've always been impressed with how he learns something, particularly the mental lessons, from every experience. He's finally come to the ultimate and most important realization.

If he gets all his arsenals together - skating skills, technical difficulties, performance, and mental prowess - sky is the limit.

Go Patrick go!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
My thoughts on the rest. It has even more goodies than what I already commented on:

Question 6 – “But I want to try, to push myself to learn a new quad.” :clap:

Question 7 – Skating skills take time to develop and I’m so glad Mr. Colson made Patrick take the time. He has acquired the 4S in a year, and hopefully that will be the case with the 4F too, but skating skills are what makes Patrick Chan Patrick Chan. I love how he says “this is the most difficult part.” Many people think non-jumping stuff is the easy stuff, but that’s not the case. That’s why Patrick chooses to be so thoughtful about incorporating new elements. He doesn’t want to lose the actual skating. I will be forever grateful to him for that.

Question 8 – “But now I don't spend my energy to pay attention to what others are doing. I only focus on what I need to do and what areas I should improve to be competitive. I hope to combine quads and my advantageous skating skills organically to show my competitiveness. I think this is the ideal combination, so I may show everybody what I always hope to show, which is what Mens figure skating is all about.” :yes2:

Question 9 – “What I can do is to remind myself that I'm one of the participants in this change. Starting from doing two quads in the LP at 2011 Worlds, I've pushed more Men into doing quads.” Patrick, this is SO MUCH the right attitude!!!!! YOU started this whole thing. People were inspired to try to skate like YOU. Now people are more ambitious with quads, but there’s always a start, and you were it. Heck, you’re still participating by adding more quads yourself!!! :rock:

Question 10 – “No matter the situation, no matter the pressure, it's very important to control your thoughts. Your mind may be your most powerful ‘muscle’. It can change anything, and it can make a difference in your performance. So I need to learn to control my mind.” You are always learning, Patrick, and you seem to appreciate sports psychologists these days. May you be calm in Pyeongchang even if all your jumps are not clean. If you are calm, you will give us programs to remember. :yes:

Question 11 – “I can't change what already happened, good or bad. We need to live in the present, do what is ahead.” :2thumbs:

Question 12 – Yagudin and Lambiel are good choices.

Question 13 – I think Patrick doesn’t face too many expectations now, but I think he absolutely did in Vancouver and Sochi. This comeback has really felt like it’s been for him and not for anyone else. “I can focus on self improvement, on knowledge and mind. When you are nervous and worried about results, you will lose your ability to evaluate what you want to learn and why you want to do this. Yet these are what you hope to accomplish and improve.“ Wisdom gained from a long and eventful skating career.

Patrick was so wise in this interview. I :love: it so much!!!!!! Thanks again, VB, for translating it. I wish Patrick all the best in mind, body, and spirit this season! He sounds like he’s on the right track. :yay:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
skatingfan4ever, I'm as thrilled as you about all those goodies you noticed and commented. I didn't want you to miss them. ;) Patrick is indeed much wiser and experienced than he self proclaimed.

It was indeed a pleasure to translate this great interview. I find the Chinese professionals - the commentators, interviewers and writers - are very professional in being neutral, factual, and fair. In contrast, many Chinese fans/lay people, can be so emotional, biased and intent on influencing others' views. Well, of course not just Chinese.

Professional writing too is so much easier to read, comprehend and translate.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The revelation by Patrick that I'm happiest about is that he has realized the power of the mind. Quieting the mind, staying in the moment and focusing on the task at hand are what I've been hoping for him to appreciate and practice. It's because he has stayed in the game this long that he's grown into a mature conscious person. I've always been impressed with how he learns something, particularly the mental lessons, from every experience. He's finally come to the ultimate and most important realization.

If he gets all his arsenals together - skating skills, technical difficulties, performance, and mental prowess - sky is the limit.

Go Patrick go!

Awesome - thanks for translating the article! I started on it last night but had to shut down as it was getting too late. Will definitely "quote" you! :agree:

As for Patrick - I say "Go for it!"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Awesome - thanks for translating the article! I started on it last night but had to shut down as it was getting too late. Will definitely "quote" you! :agree:

As for Patrick - I say "Go for it!"

Ah, I could've waited to quote you instead! At least it was a work of love and pleasure to translate such a piece with so much positive and at times a little surprising revelation that I'm so happy about.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
skatingfan4ever, I'm as thrilled as you about all those goodies you noticed and commented. I didn't want you to miss them. ;) Patrick is indeed much wiser and experienced than he self proclaimed.

It was indeed a pleasure to translate this great interview. I find the Chinese professionals - the commentators, interviewers and writers - are very professional in being neutral, factual, and fair. In contrast, many Chinese fans/lay people, can be so emotional, biased and intent on influencing others' views. Well, of course not just Chinese.

Professional writing too is so much easier to read, comprehend and translate.

as opposed to my professional swooning? LOL no need to translate that though :laugh:

Tallorder

On the Ice
One sees this as athletes get more maturity and are relatively later in their careers. The whole aspect of really appreciating the mental aspects of preparation and training. Wonderful to see Patrick developing this as part of his arsenal. Certainly approaching a third Olympics, he brings with him plenty of unique strengths which some of the younger competitors simply won't have.

nimi

Medalist
Interesting interview -- thanks for the translation!

I know I'm probably in the minority, but personally I'm really glad that years ago Patrick made the much criticized decision to have Kathy as his coach. TBH I used to be a bit "meh" about Patrick's skating -- I come from a dance background, so I tend to pay more attention to the bodyline and whole body movement than the intricacies of edgework -- but over the 4 years he was working with her, Patrick showed so much improvement in terms of really feeling and expressing the music with his whole body instead of just skating to it (if that makes sense). And now it sounds like working with Zoueva & co his mental game has improved (didn't he say in an earlier interview that now he's working with a sports psychologist for the first time?) so I'm really happy for him and looking forward to seeing his new programs!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Interesting interview -- thanks for the translation!

I know I'm probably in the minority, but personally I'm really glad that years ago Patrick made the much criticized decision to have Kathy as his coach. TBH I used to be a bit "meh" about Patrick's skating -- I come from a dance background, so I tend to pay more attention to the bodyline and whole body movement than the intricacies of edgework -- but over the 4 years he was working with her, Patrick showed so much improvement in terms of really feeling and expressing the music with his whole body instead of just skating to it (if that makes sense). And now it sounds like working with Zoueva & co his mental game has improved (didn't he say in an earlier interview that now he's working with a sports psychologist for the first time?) so I'm really happy for him and looking forward to seeing his new programs!

I've always defended Patrick's choice of KJ as his coach. He started with her to improve the the aspects of his skating that you mentioned but she gave him the insight to use his core for the 4T he was learning under Krall and it was instant success. Under Johnson, he continued to win Worlds titles. I wouldn't argue with results, especially in the area he devoted his time to improve, which is artistic expression even though the trend switched to focusing on quads, the more the merrier.

Patrick has always been extremely successful in learning whatever he decided on so when he decided to turn his attention to acquiring new quads, even at the age others are retiring, I know he will accomplish his goal. His first quad came quite easily, shocking people at the time even if his falls at early attempts provided for much derision. At that time, he sought out Brian Boitano for psychological advice with instant benefit. Patrick, under the influence of Mr. Colson, did not believe in sport psychologists but relied on his father for counsel. But he is someone who seeks help when he needs it, e.g. looking for Boitano for advice. Krall was extremely regimental in training and she and Patrick used to play a silly card game while he was waiting to skate at competitions. Other than that, I'm not aware of any mind skills she taught him. Johnson seemed to be very nurturing and supportive of Patrick and they had a close relationship. She was there with him and helping him through the emotionally tumultuous return season. Last season Patrick started working with a sport psychologist at a Skate Canada camp. I'm not sure who else he continues with. It seems sport psychology has evolved much since Patrick's early Senior years. His newer understanding of the power of the mind, even invoking Buddhism, reflects the emergence of spiritualism in personal development these recent years. I understood why he didn't need sport psychology. He was a natural winner, a model for the sport psychologists to study. With age comes mind complications and the new sport psychology seems to be just what he needs. Me, I'm so glad he has come to recognize and appreciate much of the mind management I've advocated for him. I wish for his successful application.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Ah, I could've waited to quote you instead! At least it was a work of love and pleasure to translate such a piece with so much positive and at times a little surprising revelation that I'm so happy about.

Wonderful! And this interview was done back in April, it seems. Great to see that his mindset had already improved so much even back then. BTW, I combined your translation with mine.

---------------

Here's my latest summer news update!

Patrick Chan Summer News Update, August 13, 2017

Hope you all enjoy it!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks viv... april is already so far back but it does help understand a bit better the context.. as now... patrick would talk about his training and quads a bit differently as he has been toying with the flip a bit longer.... and i doubt he would say that the SP may only contain one quad... he knows that this could mean that he could be out of the final flight... and he knows he needs to be there... and hopefully, like at worlds, in top three after SP

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

thanks viv... april is already so far back but it does help understand a bit better the context.. as now... patrick would talk about his training and quads a bit differently as he has been toying with the flip a bit longer.... and i doubt he would say that the SP may only contain one quad... he know that this could mean that he could be out of the final flight... and he knows he needs to be there... and hopefully, like at worlds, in top three after SP

Yes, some of the things he said in the interview don't apply anymore. But I feel for him because he's still struggling with anxiety and stress (and pain) when it comes to the jumps. I'm Hoping his frustration lessens and his confidence rises.

Meanwhile, here's another photo from CSOI 2017:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXvn2kCAnaQ/

Have a great week, everyone!

emdee

Final Flight
I am back in town and hoping to hear some news about my favourites...especially Patrick.

I am booked to see him in Regina but cannot make Nationals.

Kuan

Final Flight
I know it is 1 year old, but this gif set on tumblr is new and so beautiful, especially the first one. :luv17: Black and white makes his skating look even purer!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I am back in town and hoping to hear some news about my favourites...especially Patrick.

I am booked to see him in Regina but cannot make Nationals.

Awesome. :) The ticket presale for Regina started today, too!

I know it is 1 year old, but this gif set on tumblr is new and so beautiful, especially the first one. :luv17: Black and white makes his skating look even purer!

Someone on YouTube also compiled this black and white montages of Patrick's jumps as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDtkgW5uZ9s