Hanyus Unexpected Free Skate Errors | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyus Unexpected Free Skate Errors

Ender

Match Penalty
Also, some of his best memories should be associated with Seimei. Otherwise he wouldn't have brought it back. Hello, world record scores and his 2 personal best total scores! ;)

There might not have been as much pressure being a minor competition. But there is a lot of external pressure too. Shoma lit it up at Lombardia, as did Nathan (with watered down technical elements). There were tons of Japanese fans and media. People were intrigued to see how he'd fare against Javier.

It is sorely an understatement to say that he doesn't face any pressure or expectations -- no matter the competition. Even at the minor competitions, he is so scrutinized by media and fans, and I can't imagine the mental wear that must have on him. Especially in an Olympic season, a competition like this compounds pressure... as now he knows everyone will be eager to see how he bounces back.
Yeah... i am not sure why people link Hanyu with weak mentality. Everyone has their weak moments, we are all human.

To be an athlete of his caliber, who has won all biggest titles over years how could he's that fragile and weak.

The reason we see his "weak moments" more is because he has competed a lot though most difficult conditions and before the whole Japan plus skating world. I am sure I would break down, run away and hide myself from the world for the rest of my life If I had to endure just from one of those trials. Which is why I am no big athlete.

I am sure he will be fine, it's been there done that. It's not like this is the first time for him. He might even break other records during this season.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
he didn't choke.
the 'new' layout with triples is not something he trains, he had suspended training week before due to the knee. when popped the lz, wanted to go for 4lo as next because muscle memory. of course, that was forbidden so had to abort. it was enough to scramble him. he over-thought the whole thing and messed up.

happens. we all have terrible days in the office. plenty of time to cor to heal and go back to proper layout he has been training all along.

penguin

On the Ice
If he had to have an off day, I'm so glad it was at Autumn Classic. I think people see him put out amazing performances (in particular his record-breaking run two seasons ago) and start to expect that level of perfection every time. I kind of like the reminder that skating at his level is hard, and it makes it extra special when he puts out two perfect performances. (I think people would actually appreciate Evgenia more if she messed up once in a while, too. She's so clockwork that it becomes the norm, and loses its impressiveness.)

Ender

Match Penalty
he didn't choke.
the 'new' layout with triples is not something he trains, he had suspended training week before due to the knee. when popped the lz, wanted to go for 4lo as next because muscle memory. of course, that was forbidden so had to abort. it was enough to scramble him. he over-thought the whole thing and messed up.

happens. we all have terrible days in the office. plenty of time to cor to heal and go back to proper layout he has been training all along.
Terrible days in office... you remind me that I have to turn in my resignation letter tomorrow... and I feel dreadful and guilty about it.

It all happens to us. It's just we don't have 2093847 camera following us to tell the whole world.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu tends to have a slow start to the season, especially with the FS, so I'm not that concerned.

Having said that, this was the worst FS I've seen from him in a long while, including his subpar FS in Boston (where he lost to Javi also). There were some moments of brilliance (the quad triple combo in the second half) but either his knee or his head wasn't in this. (I specifically wanted to see the livestream last evening b/c Youtube blocks the music.)

He should be proud that he broke his own record in the SP, which was amazing. He reminds me when he's on - he's the best skater in the world. And when he's off- show's that he's human.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
he didn't choke.

I thought he was doing a 3L because he was just going to do triples in the first half and max out the second. He very clearly intended to only do a 3L and didn't try to go for the 4L. I thought he was back on track after that and the lip, and then he did the 4S+3T beautifully. But then his quads failed him, which is weird because he was landing 4T so easily in practice and did 4T+3T(Rippon) the night earlier in the SP. He himself said that his mind was starting to come up with idle thoughts and he lost focus.

He was supposed to win, given the huge SP lead and his expected (even toned down) content in the FS, but his jumping execution was way off -- I mean, 4 popped jumps, a fall, and a downgrade?! 67.68 points below his personal best. Choking isn't a nice or pretty word for it, but it's a pretty accurate term for it (even if this was just as Senior B).

Also, is it confirmed that he is going back to the proper layout?!

FCSSp4

Rinkside
Sometimes someone flubs because he's not used to having three triples as his first jumping passes. Okay, this might not be the norm for other skaters but for Yuzuru it is. Remember when he couldn't skate his SP clean in 2015-2016, added two quads in the 1st half and BAM two world records and two 110+ SP scores?

He's admitted that his FS layout messed him up this and frankly, I'm not surprised. That said I would've taken a poor skate in a senior B over him potentially hurting himself especially since the 4lo affects his landing knee. When he popped the 3lz he was thinking of doing 4lo but didn't go for it which imo was a good decision.

I think in a way, he's grown up more as the seasons have progressed. A clean SP from him this early is certainly a surprise though and his movements are sharp as ever. The pros of repeating a programs also show, both Chopin and Seimei have a sense of completeness and refinement that you just can't get with new programs that need their time to grow.

Anyway, I feel like only people who don't know Hanyu or follow him closely would be disappointed and this was a good experience for him. He has a tough layout that includes the 4lz, a new jump and these situations will hopefully serve him well in competitions that truly matter.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
does it really need own thread ?

at this part of the year I would expect Hanyu to bomb both programs and yet he skated spectacular short - for me one of the best skates i've ever seen anyone.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I thought he was doing a 3L because he was just going to do triples in the first half and max out the second. He very clearly intended to only do a 3L and didn't try to go for the 4L. I thought he was back on track after that and the lip, and then he did the 4S+3T beautifully. But then his quads failed him, which is weird because he was landing 4T so easily in practice and did 4T+3T(Rippon) the night earlier in the SP. He himself said that his mind was starting to come up with idle thoughts and he lost focus.

He was supposed to win, given the huge SP lead and his expected (even toned down) content in the FS, but his jumping execution was way off -- I mean, 4 popped jumps, a fall, and a downgrade?! 67.68 points below his personal best. Choking isn't a nice or pretty word for it, but it's a pretty accurate term for it (even if this was just as Senior B).

Also, is it confirmed that he is going back to the proper layout?!

yes, was supposed to do 3lz, 3lo, 3f// normal 2nd half as a watered down layout. he is not used to this though, he doesn't train this. his layout is 4lz, 4lo, 3f// ... i am not surprised he popped it then but when he popped the lz - he said "I popped first jump and one moment thought that I would bring 4 loop (to avoid in this company) as a next jump. I had plenty of such kind of unnecessary thoughts today and went messy. I was able to do a big result of sense of "kuyashii"" (kuyashii is frustration and turning that into energy to succeed in the future). he also said he felt frustrated from the start, for being unable to jump the 4lz and 4lo.

hanyu thinks a lot when he wants to try and make up for things, like his improv 4cc skate. but this has a bad side, he can over-think and mess it all, like here. so though he did the 3lo fine, his head was already on the bad path i think because he had to scrape that first impluse of the 4lo (luckily, am glad he did. one lousy skate is nothing compared to a bad knee). someone compared him to an over-heated cpu today and i think that fits what happened :laugh:

and i imagine so? i saw nothing that says knee is bad. sore, sure but not bad. if this is true, i expect lz and lo to be back for cor

Alba

Record Breaker
I would in no way call this a choke. Choke implies that he was under great pressure to win and he wasn't. It's a challenger event in October. He had a bad skate. He's had them before and he very well might have them again.

Sheesh at this rate people will call my messing up making tea for my favourite people as choking. Over use of a term limits it's power. It's why so many people try to claim back words that have been used to hurt them in the past.

Nothing I saw changed my mind. Yuzuru will win the OGM if he stays healthy.

I agree with this.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Look, he wasn't doing Skate Canada this year, he had to get his customary Canadian silver somewhere! It's part of his early season pattern. :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
does it really need own thread ?

at this part of the year I would expect Hanyu to bomb both programs and yet he skated spectacular short - for me one of the best skates i've ever seen anyone.

That was for me the best SP ever skated by anyone. Sure, he didn't have the jump difficulty of Chen or the skating quality of Chan, and it was a repeat, but overall it's the best I've seen. The score was well deserved too (although I'm sure there were probably the usual complaints that he was underscored and didn't get +3s for everything :rolleye: :laugh:).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not only would I not call that a choke, I would even argue it wasn't entirely unexpected.

For the love of Plushenchrist, it's September. This happens. It's the very start of the season - of course not everyone is 100% ready yet.

blackey

On the Ice
He usually doesn't wake up until nhk... so you probably gonna see another "unexpected choke" at Rostelecom cup ;)

sarama

Medalist
Not to state the obvious, but he is no Medvedeva. Never has, never will.
And to be great one day and a mess the other is also kind of expected with what the men are doing lately. Like, did you see what Kolyada did at Nepela?