2017 GPF Men's FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's FS

Ender

Match Penalty
Even with mistake, Brown was selling his program very well. Too bad...

Barb

Record Breaker
ugh, It is so disgusting that podiums continue being the worst performances :palmf: :hpull:

Ender

Match Penalty
Because Nathan and Shoma skated more often, it could also mean they got their bad skates out of the way. Not competing all season and then having to be on point 100% at the Olympics is mighty hard for the men.
Or maybe their best skates were already out at the beginning of this season.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I do feel that both Jason and Kolyada are ill-served by their FS music today....Jason's almost somnambulant and Kolyada's just tacky and meaningless.:disapp:

Mussique

On the Ice
As someone else said as well, believing that a skater can choose when to peak is a myth. That being said, pressure can get both the best and the worst from each skater, and there's no more pressure than at Olympics. Let's hope it goes better than... Well, this

Yesterday I made a typo when I wrote "slapfest" instead of "splatfest" (I was saying "at least it hasn't been one") but, for today, I think my typo is appropriate. I couldn't watch it live. And I'm almost kind of glad. Wow...
There's no use in wondering what would have happened if more of the top men were there, because messes are made all the time, but that was this was. A mess.
...that being said, congratulations to the men in the podium, let's hope they bring their best at Olympics (this wasn't their best by a mile) and let's hope everyone stays strong and healthy. It's not an easy sport... And the falls sure take away a lot of the enjoyment.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
To me, when you add shoma and nathan's both performances it's crazy that shoma didn't win. This week he had better components.
I have to say it was hilarious seeing Kolyada's Elvis cheesefest between two super serious programs.

Shoma at least interpret the music, unlike other guys today.

Huh, where? As much as I think he should have won (and would have if not for that time deduction), his interpretation was non-existent today.

I have to say, I think this result is better for Nathan and shoma than if they were swapped. Nathan likes to be on top, and shoma seems to prefer being an underdog. I am glad they are not pushing for perfect programs yet.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
As someone else said as well, believing that a skater can choose when to peak is a myth. That being said, pressure can get both the best and the worst from each skater, and there's no more pressure than at Olympics. Let's hope it goes better than... Well, this

Yesterday I made a typo when I wrote "slapfest" instead of "splatfest" (I was saying "at least it hasn't been one") but, for today, I think my typo is appropriate. I couldn't watch it live. And I'm almost kind of glad. Wow...
There's no use in wondering what would have happened if more of the top men were there, because messes are made all the time, but that was this was. A mess.
...that being said, congratulations to the men in the podium, let's hope they bring their best at Olympics (this wasn't their best by a mile) and let's hope everyone stays strong and healthy. It's not an easy sport... And the falls sure take away a lot of the enjoyment.

I'm fearful it doesn't bode well for the Olympics, but on the other hand, good competitions with high difficulty are possible, just look at Worlds 2017. I think the GPF 2015 will always stay my favourite competition of the last quad, but the difficulty was lower than today. At the press conference Shoma said he wants to keep challenging himself and not lower the difficulty. He adds those jumps because he can jump them. The men's discipline is changing and it's only natural that we don't get to see perfection everytime. In my opinion bad skates also happened when there weren't any quads and the triple programs are not so much superior in artistry. This is a transitioning period in this sport.

Ender

Match Penalty
I do feel that both Jason and Kolyada are ill-served by their FS music today....Jason's almost somnambulant and Kolyada's just tacky and meaningless.:disapp:
If we count fully rotated jumps, Kokyada should have won today.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am glad they are not pushing for perfect programs yet.

That's an interesting outlook...so they shouldn't try to be perfect except at maybe Worlds and Olympics? Huh? Why are we wasting our time watching if everyone is not going to give 100%? Sure, errors are bound to happen anyway, but over and over again, we are seeing messy skates from these men who we are supposed to believe are the "top." Am I supposed to buy that just because they have the highest BV, they are the best? I don't.

Ender

Match Penalty
That's an interesting outlook...so they shouldn't try to be perfect except at maybe Worlds and Olympics? Huh? Why are we wasting our time watching if everyone is not going to give 100%? Sure, errors are bound to happen anyway, but over and over again, we are seeing messy skates from these men who we are supposed to believe are the "top." Am I supposed to buy that just because they have the highest BV, they are the best? I don't.
Highest PCS today in my book should have been: Rippon, Voronov, Brown.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so things didn't work out as planned. I didn't get the video checked at the time I intended last night and, when I did, I discovered that I had to make a couple of changes. And because of the length of the video, it took over an hour to process into a file. Consequently, I didn't get the upload started until a lot later than planned (quarter to midnight), which meant that it wasn't finished uploading until about 1pm, by which stage not just the Ladies SP but also the Men's FS were actually over!

So, apologies that this is being posted long after the competition finished!

Here is the link for the archived World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...x-finals/9298931a-da68-4201-a7fb-26eda9b4c7ed

Unfortunately, neither of this morning's competitions were shown on Eurosport’s linear TV channels. :disapp:

...BUT, there will be highlights tonight at various times depending on where you are.

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 19m 29s. Snowboarding on beforehand. Cuts off halfway through Shoma Uno's FS. BUT, all of Shoma is shown at the start of the video of the Ladies SP highlights):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...goya-jpn/28025ec5-f2da-4983-ae68-f2cbe8c18d94

Here is the Time Schedule:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpf1718/time0105.pdf

And here is the Live Scoring:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpf1718/data0105.htm

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If we count fully rotated jumps, Kokyada should have won today.

I think Kolyada with two falls and a pop and a 3A error didn't exactly deserve the win. He also fell in the SP (3 falls and a pop = 4 major errors) so I don't think he should have won overall.

And as mentioned, I do consider his FS music a bit tacky personally, not that it should prevent someone from scoring well per se (see T/M). But I much prefer Uno and Chen's programs.

The judges were also generous with Kolyada's PCS. Gotta love Kolyada getting a PCs personal best with two falls and a pop; errors on half his jumping passes. :rolleye:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight

I mean you should do your best, and if you feel good then go ahead (like shoma at lombardia) but I don't think they should force themselves to attain perfection and nothing else at this point. Plus skating is artistic so there that aspect to explore as well.
And when you do a perfect skate, where to go from there? I am one of those that believe athletes can somewhat influence their peaking, and that non perfect performances can bring something too for the viewer (but then my favorite performance of all time has a fall, so...) Not forcing a landing too hard, not tiring too much, not forcing jumps at max power right now seems wise.
And also, I think pretty much everyone knows why the top men are considered top men. It is because they are the most talented and well trained that they can have the highest BV, not the opposite.

da96103

Record Breaker
Somewhere in Japan, Spain and Canada, the big cats are dismayed that the children mice from US, Japan and Russia have turned GPF 2018 into 'Look who can try their hardest NOT to win gold' competition.

Sorry that Nathan Chen 'lost'.

And Boyang thinks, I could have won this without my pair of 4Lz's.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
And also, I think pretty much everyone knows why the top men are considered top men. It is because they are the most talented and well trained that they can have the highest BV, not the opposite.

And this is why the men's discipline is so unpleasant to watch any more. At least in the ladies you can be assured of the medalists having some clean performances. Now any man who isn't killing himself with quads has no chance to podium and the ones that do will splat all over the place in almost all their competitions and expect to be rewarded for it.

da96103

Record Breaker
I mean you should do your best, and if you feel good then go ahead (like shoma at lombardia) but I don't think they should force themselves to attain perfection and nothing else at this point. Plus skating is artistic so there that aspect to explore as well.
And when you do a perfect skate, where to go from there? I am one of those that believe athletes can somewhat influence their peaking, and that non perfect performances can bring something too for the viewer (but then my favorite performance of all time has a fall, so...) Not forcing a landing too hard, not tiring too much, not forcing jumps at max power right now seems wise.

I agree with this. The children are rattled by the recent spate of injuries. First Yuzu, then Samohin, followed by Boyang and Zhenya. Who will the Injury Demon strike next?

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
The day when he skates 2 respectable programs and deserves his scores will be the day the complaints stop. Don't hold your breath.

LOL, I'm not holding my breath that the complaints will stop, regardless of how well Mikhail skates.;)