2017 GPF Men's FS | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's FS

TMC

Record Breaker
That's the only option?

:sad21:

Pushing the sport, my ass. When 5 out 6 GPF skaters turn in a pitiful mess, that's not pushing the sport. That's just a pitiful mess in general.

They're pushing the sport but it's pushing back and seems to be stronger :laugh:

lappo

Final Flight
Part of it is the Rite of Spring, by Stravinsky, a very controversial piece.

You can easily find the film on Youtube, if you're interested, it helps with understanding the LP. I didn't know the story of the dancer Li Cunxin and I found it very beautiful and interesting.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Pushing the sport, my ass. When 5 out 6 GPF skaters turn in a pitiful mess, that's not pushing the sport. That's just a pitiful mess in general.

Yes, thank you! Now we just see them fly, fall, and gather points. No room for beautiful yet powerful CLEAN skating anymore.

However, if it all comes together, it's magical. See further: Yuzu's Seimei FS from 2015 NHK & GPF, Javi's FS from 2016 Worlds.

Big risk, big reward? But it's not great for the audience, especially the casual viewers who kept asking after Sochi, "why did the guy who fell twice win the gold medal?"

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you! Now we just see them fly, fall, and gather points. No room for beautiful yet powerful CLEAN skating anymore.

However, if it all comes together, it's magical. See further: Yuzu's Seimei FS from 2015 NHK & GPF, Javi's FS from 2016 Worlds.

Big risk, big reward? But it's not great for the audience, especially the casual viewers who kept asking after Sochi, "why did the guy who fell twice win the gold medal?"

And somehow, "Well he's really good at rotating in the air" just doesn't cut it. I tried to explain that to someone about Sochi results and he replied, That's just stupid.

And well, who could argue with that?

TMC

Record Breaker

Right? When memorable skates happen a couple times a year only, something is up.

Ahh I can't wait for the Olympics and trying to explain why failure is rewarded so generously in "my" sport. I wish my friends didn't know I'm into figure skating :laugh:

tureis

On the Ice
Well folks, that was a splatfest. We got a taste of men's competition in the post-Yuzu/Javi/Chan world and it left a little to be desired. It was NOT the same without those guys, love them or hate them.

I do agree because while Patrick, Javi and Yuzu have had their share of botched skates over the years, they have experience, presence on the ice and star quality to quite often still deliver a performance, and, for lack of a better word, sell the program that the audience can get something out of despite the mistakes. These guys don't have it yet. They can definitely get there because they have the potential, but they need time. And once the old guard retires (Javi and Patrick rather soon), they will definitely leave a huge gap behind.

viennaskater

Medalist
"Can't Help Falling in Love" plays and all I can think of is Yulia. :sad21:

...and not only is this program bad but it was performed terribly. :drama:

Can we get Voronov on the podium??

The most miserable Elvis I've ever seen - and no soul to it at all.

Yes - I too wanted Sergei on the podium.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Another splat fest! Four+ quads and fairly boring programs. All about the jumps. But Sergei saved the day with his simple, mainly clean skate. I liked his joy at just being at the GPF.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Y'all with your selective memory. It was a splatfest before Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez, it was a splatfest during Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez, and it'll be a splatfest after them. Ice is slippery and people will fall. I think it's exciting that the sport is being taken to new levels, and it's only a matter of time before the consistency and artistry catches up to the content.

Ender

Match Penalty
Y'all with your selective memory. It was a splatfest before Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez, it was a splatfest during Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez, and it'll be a splatfest after them. Ice is slippery and people will fall. I think it's exciting that the sport is being taken to new levels, and it's only a matter of time before the consistency and artistry catches up to the content.
I don’t mind they’re falling all over the place. It’s just kinda funny cause the only guy who was closest to clean didn’t medal.

Tahuu

On the Ice

Exactly. At last year's GPF, Nathan and Shoma had a clean FS and jumped from 5th and 4th after the SP to 1st and 2nd for the FS with 4 and 3 quads respectively. On the other hand, Yuzuru, Javi and Patrick all splatted 1, 1, and 3 times in their FS and dropped to 3rd, 4th, 5th. If these guys were here there was no guarantee they would skate clean.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
It is very unsatisfying when a skater wins after having a sloppy skate. I find something very incomplete about Nathans skating.
What a weird competition. Just bizarre scoring.

Bcash

Final Flight
Why is Nathan always lean forward in his landings and tend to have very little flow out of his jumps even if he lands them straight?
A defect in his technique?