2018 GP Helsinki Men's Short Program | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Men's Short Program

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
That's what makes Yuzu a winner. He's right...there are little things here and there he can improve on.

Ain't that the truth... His programs can suit our taste or not, but his demeanor surrounding his skating, strive for perfection, the optimal state for him, desire to go forward, push harder and improve things, affection towards every aspect in his skating - all that makes him champion-like for me regardless of mistakes in actual performance.

I watched the SP being in the middle of my weekly thrifting adventure and watching Yuzuru made me realize how rare is to witness such ice/stage presence influencing skating, movement and performance in general. Grishin used good comparison to 'ice spectacle' or 'mini-spectacle' created by Yuzuru - indeed, the feel of something 'bigger' and 'heavier' in contruction/complexity happening is quite accurate warching this SP. I really admire how movement is initiated from his fingertips, from the smallest gesture towards bigger, more spacious moves, how this design releases energy throughout performance. It really seems that this choice of program, music resonates so peofoundly with him, it is a bit reflective, nostalgic maybe, but it carries present emotion, affection towards skating I think. It is very powerful creation I'd say, even from TV perspective.

shyne

Final Flight
I'm waiting for the NBC version~ really want to hear what Johnny has to say about Yuzu's sp

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ain't that the truth... His programs can suit our taste or not, but his demeanor surrounding his skating, strive for perfection, the optimal state for him, desire to go forward, push harder and improve things, affection towards every aspect in his skating - all that makes him champion-like for me regardless of mistakes in actual performance.

I watched the SP being in the middle of my weekly thrifting adventure and watching Yuzuru made me realize how rare is to witness such ice/stage presence influencing skating, movement and performance in general. Grishin used good comparison to 'ice spectacle' or 'mini-spectacle' created by Yuzuru - indeed, the feel of something 'bigger' and 'heavier' in contruction/complexity happening is quite accurate warching this SP. I really admire how movement is initiated from his fingertips, from the smallest gesture towards bigger, more spacious moves, how this design releases energy throughout performance. It really seems that this choice of program, music resonates so peofoundly with him, it is a bit reflective, nostalgic maybe, but it carries present emotion, affection towards skating I think. It is very powerful creation I'd say, even from TV perspective.

Can I just have you be the ghostwriter of my thoughts, NNF? Seriously. :)

I agree 100 percent. His presence is so commanding and you feel it even more when you see him skate in person. I feel fortunate to see that when he was just 17 and starting out with Brian. Pure luck on my part that was my first GP and Hanyu was there.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Can I just have you be the ghostwriter of my thoughts, NNF? Seriously. :)

I agree 100 percent. His presence is so commanding and you feel it even more when you see him skate in person. I feel fortunate to see that when he was just 17 and starting out with Brian. Pure luck on my part that was my first GP and Hanyu was there.

What is quite unique in my opinion in that presence that it is effortless and commands attention with simplest things, not really relying on loud expression, exuberant movement. You can see sheer purpose and thought in how he carries himself, how he works with music and how he design movement - it is natural, organic and has the depth, not screaming for attention, just making us focus on this influence HE has over all these factor, how he controls them, molding into vision he sure has for it. It surpassed just skating/performing long ago I think and it is not even about fans' following or double Olympic gold - it is for me the willingness to push, re-invent and still set goals, being humble and respectful about all of this happening around him.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
You guys make such deep and thoughtful comments. I was so nervous I was just counting the revolutions on his spins and making sure he didn't get a dreaded level2 stepsequence!

The second time I watched it...sure, I felt all the things you wrote NoNameFace! :biggrin:

Seriously though, Yuzu and Brezina totally brought down the house! I'm so happy.

Boyang's program is interesting as well. Has room to grow and get crazier. As he said in his interview, he will surpass himself. :points:

Kolyada had a bit of a mental lapse for that 3Lz, happens to everyone but his 3A was the best of the night. Really amazing quality there. So much potential.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
You guys make such deep and thoughtful comments. I was so nervous I was just counting the revolutions on his spins and making sure he didn't get a dreaded level2 stepsequence!

The second time I watched it...sure, I felt all the things you wrote NoNameFace! :biggrin:

Thanks so much for a shoutout! :thank:

I was today sure a freak to spot, walking with my nose glued to the phone watching FS :) and I was nervous for them all, but excited at the same time. I think that this nerve we feel watching Yuzuru is due to this intensity and vibrant aura he has around him - the way he attacks jumps, gets into the spins, projects throughout step sequence is highly energetic, vigorous and palpable for us to react to. This intensity adds to his uniqueness and engagement, purpose in his stride, how he builds his own vision/picture of things to happen. And it help in my opinion to have that lasting power in performance which can be 3 mins long, but lingers in mind for long hours. I have this very notion looking at his both programs this season like he wants to span past with present, taking both with intensity and thoughtfulness, but trying to come up with something new and memorable, inspiring others like he was inspired himself with these choices.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Andrei Lazukin was underscored big time. :(

I thought he was one of the best here: yes the final spin was invalidated but what's up with those PCS? he sold the program, he has a good posture, there were transitions out of the elements, a nice knee slide in the steps sequence,... he deserves like 4-5 points more than that!

He's behind skaters who were honestly a mess like Jun, and less than a point ahead of Kolyada who was even worse.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Andrei Lazukin was underscored big time. :(

I thought he was one of the best here: yes the final spin was invalidated but what's up with those PCS? he sold the program, he has a good posture, there were transitions out of the elements, a nice knee slide in the steps sequence,... he deserves like 4-5 points more than that!

He's behind skaters who were honestly a mess like Jun, and less than a point ahead of Kolyada who was even worse.

Oh, yes, I forgot to say, Lazukin was very, very good as well. I'd have put him some points ahead.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
-In his interview in Japanese right after the SP he was asked what he was looking at and Yuzu said (I'm paraphrasing here) that he was looking at everyone's scores because there is some inconsistency still from competition to competition.
And I was like, LOL, Yuzu is a fan just like us, trying to make sense of it all! :laugh:

I'll try to look for the video so I can give a accurate translation, but that was the gist of it. Also he gave a shout-out to Johnny and mentioned it was Plushenko's birthday.

https://twitter.com/yuzu1207_s/status/1058695558506807301 Little clip of Yuzu and team studying the protocol

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Checking back, Brezina set a new personal best here, eclipsing the one he set at the 2012 World Championships (where he won a silver small medal).

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
those very ugly feet keep distracting me:eek:

Andrei LAZUKIN: doesn’t he look improved? And what happened with his final spin? (omg ugly feet!)

Junhwan CHA: I guess this ice is cursed for 3luz – 3lo, also as much as I like this boy I can’t get over those clock movements, it’s becoming junwan’s trademark: beautiful skills and suddenly something odd happens :biggrin: (omg ugly giant feet! :eekn:)

Michal BREZINA: who is this man? What happened to the actual brezina? Is he possessed? I mean he was totally clean, earned his best score in his whole life and has a good shot for finals! (omg ugly, giant, dreadfull feet!)

Boyang JIN: it’s good to see him in a very good shape, but it’s even better see all of his improvements also on the artistic side. Shame on the combo (giant ugly feet are stalking my nightmares)

Yuzuru HANYU: 106.69 as a score, +4 goes, isn’t he the boy wonder? and he wasn't perfect here, so there's stil room for improvement. (he distracted me from the fe...never mind, i remember them now:eek:)

Mikhail KOLYADA: after hanyu at his best and bychenko on the path of redemption this was just so sad to watch. nerves won over him once again, but this is just the sp he can come back tomorrow, redeem himself and grab his medal. (did i mention those giant ugly feet?)