Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the American, Russian and Italian women on their team medals! So happy for Italy, is this their first world team medal?

There are probably Wikipedia's for this.

I forgot our national broadcaster did a live stream. At work, glanced at it once in a while.

Biles is superhuman (almost), she has such presence and still seems so normal and fun. Carries the whole national team, almost the whole world of gymnastics on her shoulders, and does this with such ease, simply unbelievable.

Average age of the women in these championships compared to those in figure skating worlds would be?

macy

Record Breaker
There are probably Wikipedia's for this.

I forgot our national broadcaster did a live stream. At work, glanced at it once in a while.

Biles is superhuman (almost), she has such presence and still seems so normal and fun. Carries the whole national team, almost the whole world of gymnastics on her shoulders, and does this with such ease, simply unbelievable.

Average age of the women in these championships compared to those in figure skating worlds would be?

just updated my comment, first team medal for them since 1950 :eek: can't wait to watch this!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
just updated my comment, first team medal for them since 1950 :eek: can't wait to watch this!

Compared to ISU coverage, FIG international live feed coverage is bad, so few actual routines shown. One has to collect all participating countries live streams to get a complete picture of who competed how. There are specific boards and websites, like https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gymmultimedia/ and some OK and VK groups, but with patience one can usually collect all clips and streams of interest over a couple of weeks.

Our NED WAG team qualified itself for next year's OG, but was the oldest team in play in these WC, and most of the women are struggling with injury and the demands of adult life.
So their individual participation next year isn't guaranteed. And I don't follow the team closely to see if there are any newcomers.
Our MAG are also getting on in years.

Russia is just able to maintain itself in WAG, but has resorted to 'chucking fugly skills' thanks to the Rods. Russian juniors are still top though.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Compared to ISU coverage, FIG international live feed coverage is bad, so few actual routines shown. One has to collect all participating countries live streams to get a complete picture of who competed how. There are specific boards and websites, like https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gymmultimedia/ and some OK and VK groups, but with patience one can usually collect all clips and streams of interest over a couple of weeks.

Our NED WAG team qualified itself for next year's OG, but was the oldest team in play, and most of the women are struggling with injury and the demands of adult life.
So their participation next year isn't guaranteed.
Our MAG are also getting on in years.

Shame the Dutch men didn't qualify a team. They had every chance to do so and they're a really impressive team but they imploded. Even Epke hasn't qualified yet either. Deurloo is the only one who has qualified and did it through the AA. Epke will probably do so in the spring through the world cup series but I don't think the others are strong enough to win a series on the other events or place in the top 2 at Euros. I really wanted Bram to go, I'm in love with him!

macy

Record Breaker
do you guys think if Simone stays healthy and injury free through Tokyo, will she be ready to retire after or will she stay another year or two? i am not looking forward to the day she hangs up her grips :cry: but oh, what a privilege it's been to watch the best gymnast of all time the last few years!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
do you guys think if Simone stays healthy and injury free through Tokyo, will she be ready to retire after or will she stay another year or two? i am not looking forward to the day she hangs up her grips :cry: but oh, what a privilege it's been to watch the best gymnast of all time the last few years!

She said she plans to retire after Tokyo but I can see her coming back after a year or two because she's bored. Conversely I can also see her being done for good since gymnastics doesn't seem to be her entire life and she might be keen to just do nothing for the rest of her life. :cool:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
On Tuesday, the Americans for the fifth time in a row won the team event at the World Championships

STUTTGART / Germany /, October 8. / TASS /. The Russian women's gymnastics team cannot constantly be content with second place in major tournaments. This was announced to journalists on Tuesday by the head coach of the national team Valentina Rodionenko.

On Tuesday in Stuttgart, the finals in the women's team event took place as part of the World Championships. The Russian team consisting of Angelina Melnikova, Anastasiya Agafonova, Dar'ya Spiridonova, Liliya Akhaimova and Aleksandra Shchyokoldina won Silver medals. The first place for the fifth time in a row at World Championships was earned by the USA team, the Italians became the third.

“I said that the US team is now out of reach, and from second to sixth place everyone has equal opportunities, it was difficult to fight, because these World Championships are the qualifyiers for the Olympic Games,” Rodionenko said. “And although we had a license, we they knew that other teams would also be ready. But of course, we cannot be satisfied with a permanent second place. "

“We were able to beat the Americans in the bars, came close to them on the vault, but we absolutely lost on the balance beam,” the expert added. “We now need to think about the Olympics, what can we do during this time to compete with them on equal terms? "
-----

My suggestion: get rid of the Rods and bring back Aleksandrov, or even Ostapenko will do.

macy

Record Breaker
have we heard anything on whether Mustafina is ever coming back?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
have we heard anything on whether Mustafina is ever coming back?

She already made a comeback last year and led the Russian team to a silver medal at Worlds. She competed earlier this year but had to pull out of Worlds due to injury. She'll be back next year which is true to the usual Mustafina cycle of sitting out of a pre-Olympic worlds, coming back at the Olympics the following year and winning UB gold (London 2012, Rio 2016). :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
found a BBC broadcast of the team final- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-1OvQRIdU

edit: btw, Beth Tweddle does wonderful commentary! fair to all gymnasts, not biased at all, and educational.

BBC Sports commentary, amongst the very best, but both Barry and Mitch are still missed by many. Beth and Craig aren't too bad though.

Hans van Zetten, our Dutch gymnastics and figure skating talks endlessly and gets boring quickly. Also NED broadcaster apparently didn't buy its own custom feed concentrating on our team but rather went for the cheap world feed option.

Would be interesting to get dedicated USA, GBR, ITA (!) and FRA, CAN and CHN coverage too. Elsbeth Black is the Viktoriya Vasil'yeva of Canadian gymnastics, bulldozing her way through the competition ;-)

macy

Record Breaker
BBC Sports commentary, amongst the very best, but both Barry and Mitch are still missed by many. Beth and Craig aren't too bad though.

Hans van Zetten, our Dutch gymnastics and figure skating talks endlessly and gets boring quickly. Also NED broadcaster apparently didn't buy its own custom feed concentrating on our team but rather went for the cheap world feed option.

Would be interesting to get dedicated USA, GBR, ITA (!) and FRA, CAN and CHN coverage too. Elsbeth Black is the Viktoriya Vasil'yeva of Canadian gymnastics, bulldozing her way through the competition ;-)

just finishing watching the broadcast and apparently it wasn't Beth commentating. Whoever it was did a great job.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
just finishing watching the broadcast and apparently it wasn't Beth commentating. Whoever it was did a great job.

It could have been Christine Still, who is a really good commentator too. My YT is still downloading, so I'll have a peek at it later and hear who's talking.

Criag Heap with his accent and somewhat hoarse voice did the world stream commentary I think but I haven't yet rewatched it to know for certain.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I skimmed the Team Event on the YouTube link you provided.

No doubt Simone Biles is a dominant athlete. But Sunisa Lee is the one I could watch all day. If she can manage to stay on beam and if Simone opens the door just a tad, she has a chance in AA. A very small chance, but a chance nonetheless. I don't think Simone can withstand two falls in this AA final like she did last time.

How thrilling for the Italian women! Their medal is a big deal, and I hope it's being celebrated at home.

macy

Record Breaker
I skimmed the Team Event on the YouTube link you provided.

No doubt Simone Biles is a dominant athlete. But Sunisa Lee is the one I could watch all day. If she can manage to stay on beam and if Simone opens the door just a tad, she has a chance in AA. A very small chance, but a chance nonetheless. I don't think Simone can withstand two falls in this AA final like she did last time.

How thrilling for the Italian women! Their medal is a big deal, and I hope it's being celebrated at home.

if Suni stays healthy, i can see her leading the US women after Simone retires. she is so talented and polished for a 1st year senior.

i think Simone knows she can't afford mistakes like last year, although she competed with a kidney stone and was in the ER. Props to her for competing through that. Last year was also her first year back to competition since Rio, and i would doubt if she wasn't feeling the nerves/pressure.

If anyone happens to find a stream to the AA today please share :) best of luck to all competitors and may Simone and Suni go 1-2!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Been following the gymnastics and I just can’t believe I can watch it on Dutch, Belgian and British TV and/or stream live. Spoiled for choice.

Why can’t things be this easy for watching figure skating, eh?

macy

Record Breaker
Simone wins the AA by over 2 points (shocker) but looks like she didn't have a great floor routine by the score.

poor Suni had some issues and ended up in 8th...thinking she most likely had a fall on bars.

Congrats to Tang Xijing from China and Angelina Melnikova from Russia on 2nd and 3rd!

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Simone wins the AA by over 2 points (shocker) but looks like she didn't have a great floor routine by the score.

poor Suni had some issues and ended up in 8th...thinking she most likely had a fall on bars.

Congrats to Tang Xijing from China and Angelina Melnikova from Russia on 2nd and 3rd!

The real shocker is that it's only two points, lol! :laugh:

Tang going from not even qualifying to silver medal is pretty epic, and Melnikova with her first individual Worlds medal is amazing. Wishing a speedy recovery to Ellie Black, though. She seems to be seriously injured.