2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

teainamug

Rinkside
I’m so sad. I’ve never understood skaters quitting to go to school. One can go to school at 30, 40, 50, heck I know a lady who got a PhD in her 70s. There’s only so much time one can be a competitive skater.
He’s so young. Oh well. Best of luck to him. I’m sure he will make an excellent attorney.
I think it is probably easy for richer skaters to have this choice but when it boils down to having enough money to skate or enough money to go to university the choice is not so clear cut. At some point you have to choose to make money rather than just spend what is probably your parent’s income. Skating does not provide a pension, or medical insurance or an income on which to borrow money for a mortgage etc. A person needs a job for all of these things and generally a university degree helps to secure a higher income.

The skating world is also a very small bubble. Perhaps the choice to leave and broaden your world view and horizons is very understandable. I know skaters travel the world to compete but what and who do they really experience away from the rinks. To take advantage of foreign travel and life experiences you have to have the time and generally an income to reallly immerse yourself.

I don’t know this young man’s personal circumstances but in his post he seems very happy with his choice and a happy choice is always a good choice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think it is probably easy for richer skaters to have this choice but when it boils down to having enough money to skate or enough money to go to university the choice is not so clear cut. At some point you have to choose to make money rather than just spend what is probably your parent’s income. Skating does not provide a pension, or medical insurance or an income on which to borrow money for a mortgage etc. A person needs a job for all of these things and generally a university degree helps to secure a higher income.

The skating world is also a very small bubble. Perhaps the choice to leave and broaden your world view and horizons is very understandable. I know skaters travel the world to compete but what and who do they really experience away from the rinks. To take advantage of foreign travel and life experiences you have to have the time and generally an income to reallly immerse yourself.

I don’t know this young man’s personal circumstances but in his post he seems very happy with his choice and a happy choice is always a good choice.
From experience, some skaters know when it's time to stop competing and do other things, and if University is an option at a younger age than the other poster described then they go for it. To have a degree from a higher education establishment helps with many things other than previously mentioned. Some of us find ourselves back in the sport in some way or another, but that's besides the point.

Also, yes we travel the world to compete but many of us have had wider life and worldly experiences than you think while still in the sport.
I applaud any skater who chooses higher education whether they leave their competitive world behind to do so or not like Nathan, Karen and others.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He did say in an earlier interview that this upcoming year would be his last, but he seems he has decided to move up his timetable. He seems (rightly) proud of being admitted to TCU's Honors College, so a complete guess maybe that affected his decision?

And jumping off, with props to Dracula, I will never forget his Rodeo long program as a junior, where (for me) he first really expressed his passion and sense of humor.

He can now channel his inner cowboy in Texas:biggrin:

It's so hard to let go of a skater who gives us so much of his personality on the ice and love for skating! I second the vote for Alex's Rodeo, which is when I fell in love with him, and for Dracula of course.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alexei seems happy. Having worked with skaters while what they say to the public maybe one thing. They weigh a lot including the overall cost benefit, the body, opportunities both in skating versus education, financial costs and sadly the likelihood of going to the olympcis and worlds. with two spots probably guaranteed to Chen and Brown - he knows he has to battle Vinnie, Jimmy and a slew of others for that third and final spot. He seems happy; I wish him well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei seems happy. Having worked with skaters while what they say to the public maybe one thing. They weigh a lot including the overall cost benefit, the body, opportunities both in skating versus education, financial costs and sadly the likelihood of going to the olympcis and worlds. with two spots probably guaranteed to Chen and Brown - he knows he has to battle Vinnie, Jimmy and a slew of others for that third and final spot. He seems happy; I wish him well.

Actually, one of the factors in Alex K.'s plans, I am sure, is that he is not even eligible for the third spot for the Olys: he will not have citizenship by the time of the Olympics. In addition, Alex was one of the "least filtered" skaters out there, which is part of his charm. He wears his heart on his sleeve, in skating and elsewhere. Anyone who gives a shoutout to "Twitter haters" from the KnC is not masking his words for the public :)

It is a very personal decision for every skater, but as much as I will miss his skating, I am glad he is taking what he thinks is the right step for him:hap10:

Weathergal

Medalist
I saw it on Instagram. Alaine Chartrand retired. I'm not surprised, but I'm sad. I wish she got that 3rd spot for the Olympics in 2018. I was hoping she could try to make it to the 2022 Olympics, but alas it was not meant to be. I wish her nothing but the best.

Always liked her. In honor of Alaine, here's a link to my favorite performance of hers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0z56aKAvIs

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i loved her Pina program ! I wished she had managed to be the first Canadian lady to land a 3a in competition... She tried a few times... but never got there. She will be remembered though for her vivacious skating and her intricate and creative spins.
Always liked her. In honor of Alaine, here's a link to my favorite performance of hers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0z56aKAvIs

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As mentioned in the Canadian thread, Drew Wolfe and Camille Ruest have announced their retirement. Camille will need a hip replacement soon... it had become too dangerous to continue their career if Camille wants to have any kind of quality of life afterwards.

Very sad...

Drew 's retirement post

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Question @ mods. The OP has grown to be quite large. Should I start a new thread for 2021/22, since the old season is past now?