2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She was so lovely. I know she's been injured, so I had no idea what kind of shape she'd be in here, but she was fantastic. Her jumps have such great spring!

Her and her coach had the most adorable reactions to her score too.
Loved her too. I though she had the best short program yesterday. I was really impressed with her when she won a silver at her Junior event. I really like this program. She is probably my favourite Korean lady. I just need to see her free skate program first. Rooting for her to do well tonight and secure the silver medal.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Just watched Yeonjeong Park’s FS and all I can say is WOW! She did really well and posted a huge score - one of the highest from a Korean lady actually (just behind Young You). Up until now I thought the main contenders for the two Olympic spots would be Yelim, Young, Haein, and Eunsoo, but I think with what she showed here, Yeonjeong is right up there with them now! :clap:

I really loved the version of Hymne a L’amour that she used, so hopefully I can find it. Also I can’t find her SP from this event anywhere, so if anyone has a link that’d be awesome!! :cheer:

readernick

Medalist
Just watched Yeonjeong Park’s FS and all I can say is WOW! She did really well and posted a huge score - one of the highest from a Korean lady actually (just behind Young You). Up until now I thought the main contenders for the two Olympic spots would be Yelim, Young, Haein, and Eunsoo, but I think with what she showed here, Yeonjeong is right up there with them now! :clap:

I really loved the version of Hymne a L’amour that she used, so hopefully I can find it. Also I can’t find her SP from this event anywhere, so if anyone has a link that’d be awesome!! :cheer:
Agreed. Up to this point, Haein has been my undisputed favorite. However, Yeonjeong had such a beautiful skate. Her jumps are effortless. Her skating light. She has beautiful knees! Love her!

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States

She was fantastic. Really, the only thing that's missing with her is the performance aspect which I'm sure will come with time.

Do we know if these scores count for ISU personal and season's bests? I wasn't sure since US Classic isn't a Challenger this year. If they don't, I really hope she'll be able to do an official Challenger or two this fall. A score like that should put her on the list for senior GPs next season!

randomfan

Record Breaker
She was fantastic. Really, the only thing that's missing with her is the performance aspect which I'm sure will come with time.

Do we know if these scores count for ISU personal and season's bests? I wasn't sure since US Classic isn't a Challenger this year. If they don't, I really hope she'll be able to do an official Challenger or two this fall. A score like that should put her on the list for senior GPs next season!
Ahhhhh I didn't know it wasn't a Challenger this season. In that case, I'm almost certain it won't count, as is the case for non-Challenger Senior Bs in regular seasons. Though if it did, then yes, it could've been enough for top 24 SB.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
As I've said two seasons ago (when we didn't know a little thing called a global pandemic would happen), our women's field was pre-destined to be quite deep when it became Olympic season. We have the original trio (Yelim, Eunsoo, Young), the '05 trio (Haein, my beloved Seoyoung (Wi), Seoyeon), and then Yeonjeong as well. That's why I wanted us to have three spots so badly but oh well

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Young is coached by Tom or Tammy?
And does Yelim have any assignments before the GP?
Young's exact coaching situation is currently a mystery, but her coaching staff doesn't include Tom Z anymore. And as far as I know, there hasn't been any announcements for Challengers or other international competitions for Yelim (or anybody else for that matter minus Haein, she was listed on Finlandia before she withdrew for unknown reasons)

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Young's exact coaching situation is currently a mystery, but her coaching staff doesn't include Tom Z anymore. And as far as I know, there hasn't been any announcements for Challengers or other international competitions for Yelim (or anybody else for that minus Haein, she was listed on Finlandia before she withdrew for unknown reasons)
Tom Z doesn't coach in Colorado anymore. IIRC, the skaters still in Colorado only work with Tammy Gambill, and I assume Young You's American base is in Colorado?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Where is he? He’s still listed as a coach at World Arena.
Really? I feel like I remember reading this about Tom Z in the 2019-20 season, that he had to quit for some reason (*cough* politics), and was searching for a job in California. Mind you though, these were twitter insiders, and not to mention it's been 1.5 years since I read that now, for all I know it either never happened, or it happened and everyonething's fine and dandy now. (ETA: And I confess I don't keep up with American coaches all that much lol. He trains Bradie and Vincent, but IDK where either Bradie or Vincent trains :shrug:)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? I feel like I remember reading this about Tom Z in the 2019-20 season, that he had to quit for some reason (*cough* politics), and was searching for a job in California. Mind you though, these were twitter insiders, and not to mention it's been 1.5 years since I read that now, for all I know it either never happened, or it happened and everyonething's fine and dandy now. (ETA: And I confess I don't keep up with American coaches all that much lol. He trains Bradie and Vincent, but IDK where either Bradie or Vincent trains :shrug:)

On the other hand, I do keep up with the American coaches. Wouldn't have a clue about the Russian or Korean or Japanese coaches, but yes to the Americans.:)

Tom Z is in Colorado Springs. Vincent and Bradie train out of World Arena. ETA: and Christy Krall is also still in Colorado Springs, so more than one American coach there. So if Young is in CS, she could be with Christy 🤷‍♀️.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Young's exact coaching situation is currently a mystery, but her coaching staff doesn't include Tom Z anymore.
Does that mean no Hamada either, for Young, btw?

So if Young is in CS, she could be with Christy 🤷‍♀️.
Young is definitely not with Krall or Z. Frankly happy about it, she already has one coach that doesn't know how to fix technique, doesn't need two others. Korean fed would be better off using that extra money doing something else.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Does that mean no Hamada either, for Young, btw?
That's the biggest mystery, she trains with coach Chi Hyunjung in Korea and with Tammy Gambil in Colorado but she hasn't been in Japan recently. I don't know whether that's because of the pandemic or she isn't with Hamada Mie anymore, I don't think anybody else does either.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
No comment on Ms. Park’s triumphant performance yesterday, IChat? We’ve missed your insights :)
Well, as the infamous song Feelin' Good goes, you know how I feel :laugh: Just, what an excellent senior debut, and after missing out on the JGP circuit due to boot issues and injuries at that. I'm extremely proud of her, meanwhile I'm so going to die during Olympic selections