2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 180 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I don't know why people are blaming Canada for the visa's. If anything, I would argue it's Russia that needed to do it earlier to ensure they had enough time for the visa's to arrive.
No one is blaming Canada of anything. At the same time we all know that Canada has very strict covid rules, so there might be some kind of glitch there. But anyway, as I understand it, the visa's were approved but they just didn't get them. Hopefully just some bureaucracy problem. And if that bureaucracy lies in Russia or Canada, we don't know at this point.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
No one is blaming Canada of anything. At the same time we all know that Canada has very strict covid rules, so there might be some kind of glitch there. But anyway, as I understand it, the visa's were approved but they just didn't get them. Hopefully just some bureaucracy problem. And if that bureaucracy lies in Russia or Canada, we don't know at this point.
"No way is Valieva not going to be in the GPF solely because of Canada's screw up. Don't blame or hurt Valieva for Canada's incompetence."

Sounds like blame to me.

The thing is COVID isn't a new thing. Difficulty acquiring visas (even in non-pandemic times) isn't a new thing. They need to account for those variables and bureaucratic delays - everyone else does when they travel.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Hmmm...no Sasha at practice today. I hope she doesn't WD, because she can easily win this with just her 3+3s.
I hope she doesn't WD only if it's safe for her to continue. In the grand scheme of things, one GP isn't worth it if it leads to further injury. (Neither for that matter is the GPF.) In addition, her confidence must be considered too.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sasha 😟! I’m hoping that Eteri is trying a strategy of maybe minimizing and limiting practice time as in her last event she was nailing the quads in practice in full run throughs and maybe by the time she gets to the event, she is too tired. Sasha is so good, she can win this event by nailing and just focusing on the triples. She just needs to do enough to get as much needed points to stay in contention.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sasha 😟! I’m hoping that Eteri is trying a strategy of maybe minimizing and limiting practice time as in her last event she was nailing the quads in practice in full run throughs and maybe by the time she gets to the event, she is too tired. Sasha is so good, she can win this event by nailing and just focusing on the triples. She just needs to do enough to get as much needed points to stay in contention.
Don’t know if it’s of any relevance but ice time in the US is pretty readily available and cheap to rent privately by the hour… maybe they decided she had some issues to work through and she’d just go practice separately? Who knows.

Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Don’t know if it’s of any relevance but ice time in the US is pretty readily available and cheap to rent privately by the hour… maybe they decided she had some issues to work through and she’d just go practice separately? Who knows.

Guess we’ll see tomorrow.
Someone on Reddit said she'd be disqualified for doing that

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
IMPORTANT UPDATE

Some bad news: on the NBC Pairs/Men's stream, Andrea Joyce reported that she had spoken to Eteri Tutberidze. It's Sasha's right foot that has been bothering her. The pain has been on and off. Andrea also said that Sasha doesn't want to have to do easier content. Sasha is leaning towards withdrawing, and that the final decision will be made tomorrow (10/23 Las Vegas). Andrea says Eteri is leaving the decision up to Sasha.

readernick

Medalist
IMPORTANT UPDATE

Some bad news: on the NBC Pairs/Men's stream, Andrea Joyce reported that she had spoken to Eteri Tutberidze. It's Sasha's right foot that has been bothering her. The pain has been on and off. Andrea also said that Sasha doesn't want to have to do easier content. Sasha is leaning towards withdrawing, and that the final decision will be made tomorrow (10/23 Las Vegas). Andrea says Eteri is leaving the decision up to Sasha.
Seems like this season isn't going to be so much a skating competition as a healing competition. Whoever can manage to make the GPF and Olympics without serious injury will win. :(

Dogo

On the Ice
IMPORTANT UPDATE

I think depending on the situation it can be smart to withdraw. That way she doesn't risk adding negative points to what will be a very competitive olympic pool selection for Russian ladies. I know she can land beautiful quads, I know that when she feels confident the choreo is on fire. She has already demonstrated this. The issues are the same as always; nerves before the competition. So, if she takes some time to heal properly and warms up with some B challengers she should be good by the end of the year and in great shape next year.

It's up to her and her team. Competing is not a bad idea at all if she can handle an easier content despite the injury. At least to me, it is clear that there is extra attention/support with Sasha's programs coming from her team this season, so I trust they'll do what feels right.

Last edited:

ruga

Final Flight
On one hand, it would be smart to preserve Sasha's health and withdraw, also, this way she won't be officially beaten by other skaters. However, withdrawing would mean goodbye to GPF (which will have most Russian top skaters present) and even with triples Sasha can get 3rd place or higher, which, combined with a good performance in NHK could easily get her to final.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
IMPORTANT UPDATE

Oh dear. After watching the disaster that was Men last night....this tops that.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Well that's a dumb rule - to me as long as they aren't on the official ice it should be fine.
No. It would be unfair because it would favour skaters whose federations have the money to allow for extra practices. This way everyone gets the same amount of training/runthrough/warmup time. In addition, tech/staff/etc use the training time to practice for the event as well. (They get acquainted with skaters patterns/elements/etc.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching the practices and Sasha with no quads can still win. Daria would probably win, if she skates clean. But, Sasha’s triples are solid. If I was her, I would do no 3A in SP and the go from there. The rest of the skaters are inconsistent with their triples. If she skates cleanly in the SP, she can then gauge what to do with the free skate. Triples would allow her to focus more on the PCS score. My worry is that Sasha is very stubborn.

3A are vulnerable this year because this is technically their third senior season and that is when Alina Zagitova started to fall apart. I hope this is not the case. But, I’m a bit worried about Sasha, Aliona and Anna.

lappo

Final Flight
I hope Sasha (and Eteri) will be able to see the bigger picture at stake and go for a simplified content; even just triples should be enough for her to win the event and put one foot in the GPF, which is of paramount importance to do in order to make a case for the Olympic team in a country with such a deep bench. I hope that they don't get carried away with consolidating her image as Quad queen and instead they preserve her and her health for the bigger and more important battles ahead. That said, good luck to all the skaters and to all the Russian ladies at Skam!

MalAssada

Medalist
I agree that if Sasha can perform triples without further injuring herself, or feeling pain, it might be worthy to do so. Work on the choreo, reap those PCS, get a medal so she's still in contention for GPF. Skating is also a reputation game, and Sasha wants to be in everyone's minds from the get go.