2021 Skate America: Women's Short Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Women's Short Program

readernick

Medalist
Unfortunately no, that is not skating if someone that skates like Satoko is not rewarded.
Like it or not and I don't like it it is a fact that is how skating is scored. I feel like separate panels for PCS and TES would improve on this a lot but the ISU doesn't seem inclined to do so...so??? I love skating and I continue to watch and I accept that PCS and GOE are judged the way they are... Inaccurately

A lot of fine skating. Johnny Weir favored Usacheva over Trusova on the basis iof basic skating skills. But Trusova commanded the ice. I am OK with the result.

Some skaters left technical points on the table, but even Starr Andrews, who finished at the bottom, has improved her overall skating this year.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A lot of fine skating. Johnny Weir favored Usacheva over Trusova on the basis iof basic skating skills. But Trusova commanded the ice. I am OK with the result.

Some skaters left technical points on the table, but even Starr Andrews, who finished at the bottom, has improved her overall skating this year.
Trusova did well, but Usacheva should have scored higher.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Then we have to disagree. I thought Daria's Lutz looked fine. The one that was dangerously close to a ! call was Kaori's.
I think I have seen Kaori's lutz look worse before. There were a lot of problems with the scoring.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It was a good event. The placements among top 6 seem fair. Sasha had very strong presence - I never saw her skate like that. Daria was superb. Her lutz edge is always a question mark but I understand that no one was called today on edges. Ksenia was scored harshly - may be it was a bit of reputation judging of a debutant. I would still place her third but closer to Daria and Sasha.

I don't understand the ideas of bringing Yelim ahead of any of the Russians. She has big jumps. At the same time her overall skating lacks finesse and I saw very little connection to the music. Well, as one poster said here, she did not like one country at the top. But what can you do if they were better tonight?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Like it or not and I don't like it it is a fact that is how skating is scored. I feel like separate panels for PCS and TES would improve on this a lot but the ISU doesn't seem inclined to do so...so??? I love skating and I continue to watch and I accept that PCS and GOE are judged the way they are... Inaccurately
I think that while it is a problem that TES and PCS aren’t judged by separate panels, the bigger issue is that all the judges these days just won’t get rid of the Eteri bonus :palmf:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was a good event. The placements among top 6 seem fair. Sasha had very strong presence - I never saw her skate like that. Daria was superb. Her lutz edge is always a question mark but I understand that no one was called today on edges. Ksenia was scored harshly - may be it was a bit of reputation judging of a debutant. I would still place her third but closer to Daria and Sasha.

I don't understand the ideas of bringing Yelim ahead of any of the Russians. She has big jumps. At the same time her overall skating lacks finesse and I saw very little connection to the music. Well, as one poster said here, she did not like one country at the top. But what can you do if they were better tonight?
Neither Sasha or Yelim have very strong PCS. That is why Yelim scored a 31. But Yelim does have good flow and speed across the ice, which Trusova was lacking. But on the other hand, like you mentioned, Trusova had a strong presence. Trusova should have not scored that high.

Amei

Record Breaker
Sorry but it looks more like a cover a rough landing ...

Agree on some of them they are meant to accentuate music to aid GOEs, but also we've seen where skaters can use the 'flairs' to help cover up the less than ideal landings. I don't think Trusova's would be terrible if she wasn't injured - whatever is going on with Trusova's injury (I've heard some say its her leg and others say its her foot) its causing really heavy landings so the 'flairs' she does look bad.

Seems the panel are not very on calling edges these days, but it´s the same for everyone I think. I can´t tell them apart anyway so I have no idea if they should be called or not.

They should bring in the Tech caller from Budapest, lol. I can live with a lenient or strict tech caller as long as its consistent among everyone