2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Glad to hear Dabin is back in competition. I wonder about Eunsoo's chances for overseas competitions this season? She used to be such a phenom.

Briananing

On the Ice
The entries for JGP and Universiade selections are up:

JGP selections
- Junior Ice Dance: Lim/Quan, Son Gain/Choi Sungmin, Kim Jinny/Lee Namu
- Junior Men: Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun, Kim Hyungyeom, Seo Minkyu
- Junior Women: Kang Eunsoo, Kim Yujae, Kim Chaeyeon, Park Eunbi, Hong Seungah, Jung Yean, Yook Jeongmin, Kim Minchae, Han Heesue, Ji Seoyeon, Hwang Jihyun, Son Daon, Kwon Minsol, Kim Seoyoung, Song Siwoo, Youn Seojin, Shin Jia

Universiade selections
- Senior Men: Jeong Deokhoon, Cha Younghyun, Lee Sihyeong, Kyeong Jaeseok, Kim Hangil
- Senior Women: Choi Dabin, Lee Siwon, Kim Yelim

There miiiight be a stream, will post links when it's official
How many spots does Korean have for Universiade ? Eunsoo would not compete ?

Korea has so many potential girls, I m surprised that the mid tier ones ( the ones who dont have all the triples) arent trying out for pairs yet nor does the Fed encourage it.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
How many spots does Korean have for Universiade ? Eunsoo would not compete ?

Korea has so many potential girls, I m surprised that the mid tier ones ( the ones who dont have all the triples) arent trying out for pairs yet nor does the Fed encourage it.
Universiade is like 4CC, all countries get 3 spots for each discipline. And dear lord just ask the Kim siblings on the lack of infrastructure on pairs here, they practiced twists on a goddamn playground for kids. I don't see skaters trying out pairs in this abysmal situation unless KSU stops being KSU and actually provides funding for development for pairs. Besides, pairs is a whole new discipline, it's not like it's something you pick up just because you're not going to make it in singles. It's not that simple.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
JGP ticket allocations:

- Women : 2 each for 1st-5th, 1 each for 6th-9th
- Men : 2 each for 1st and 2nd, 1 for 3rd
- Ice Dance : 2 for all teams (duh, we have more tickets than teams)

But for some reason KSU is refusing to fund the 2nd and 3rd place teams in ID, which means that our non-imported ID teams are going to have to pay out of their own pockets to go have their JGP experiences. Just, so encouraging to skaters who are trying out ID in this country. Never change KSU, never change.

Last edited:

Briananing

On the Ice
Universiade is like 4CC, all countries get 3 spots for each discipline. And dear lord just ask the Kim siblings on the lack of infrastructure on pairs here, they practiced twists on a goddamn playground for kids. I don't see skaters trying out pairs in this abysmal situation unless KSU stops being KSU and actually provides funding for development for pairs. Besides, pairs is a whole new discipline, it's not like it's something you pick up just because you're not going to make it in singles. It's not that simple.
It' s not simple at all, but I always remember the way TAT said it, so it strucked me until now. Besides, the new ISU president is Korean, so while I heard some things about KSU, I dont think they would be that incompetent and helpless if they can put one of them in that chair. I also thought that it would be in his best interest to help the Korean team grow just like what Lakernik did to his country. Afterall they want to leave a legacy, one of his could be reshaping Korean Figure Skating after Yuna retired or something like that. Before, Korea didnt have a good dance team, but you got atleast one now so I thought after Japan's Bronze in Beijing, the Korean Fed would be encouraged to support atleast one pair of team to atleast make it to the free for the team event. Besides, The other side of the pair doesnt need to be the current crop of Korean men anyway, it could be from other country and trained mostly abroad just like Eaton/Min. Btw this is coming from love, so while I get why you gotten annoyed in another platform and here, It s not like I m trying to do something. It was just dissapointing that with so many talents on hand, we wouldnt able to see it internationally. I mean, if I were Chinese Official, I would try to poach few of them incase Nini would not survive puberty . Of course my OG comment was made before I knew that KSU is refusing to fund their other 2 dance teams.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
GP assignments are out:

- Skate America: Haein, Yeonjeong, Ahsun / Junhwan
- Skate Canada : Young, Eunsoo
- GP France : Yelim, Haein / Sihyeong
- GP Britain : Young
- NHK Trophy : Seoyeon, Yelim, Seoyoung / Junhwan

I am extremely happy to see my darling squirtle at SC, and so many senior GP debuts!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GP assignments are out:

I am extremely happy to see my darling squirtle at SC, and so many senior GP debuts!
I'm super excited about the lineup at Skate America. :love:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It' s not simple at all, but I always remember the way TAT said it, so it strucked me until now. Besides, the new ISU president is Korean, so while I heard some things about KSU, I dont think they would be that incompetent and helpless if they can put one of them in that chair. I also thought that it would be in his best interest to help the Korean team grow just like what Lakernik did to his country. Afterall they want to leave a legacy, one of his could be reshaping Korean Figure Skating after Yuna retired or something like that. Before, Korea didnt have a good dance team, but you got atleast one now so I thought after Japan's Bronze in Beijing, the Korean Fed would be encouraged to support atleast one pair of team to atleast make it to the free for the team event. Besides, The other side of the pair doesnt need to be the current crop of Korean men anyway, it could be from other country and trained mostly abroad just like Eaton/Min. Btw this is coming from love, so while I get why you gotten annoyed in another platform and here, It s not like I m trying to do something. It was just dissapointing that with so many talents on hand, we wouldnt able to see it internationally. I mean, if I were Chinese Official, I would try to poach few of them incase Nini would not survive puberty . Of course my OG comment was made before I knew that KSU is refusing to fund their other 2 dance teams.
Okay, so I am going through covid among other things so I'm probably being unfair to you, but I am tired of people not knowing how things go in Korean figure skating. I'm going to do my best to explain everything I can in one post so that hapless people don't get to be topics of my annoyed tweets. Bottom line, KSU IS INCOMPETENT. Line by line explanations, here we go.

It' s not simple at all, but I always remember the way TAT said it, so it strucked me until now.
TAT is Russian. Russia has a vast, state-funded infrastructure. They have experienced coaches and technicians as well as a larger skating population in general. TAT's words does not apply to Korean figure skating, which does not have a)the infrastructure b)coaches who know how to coach pairs and c)funding for less successful disciplines (read: non-singles).

Besides, the new ISU president is Korean, so while I heard some things about KSU, I dont think they would be that incompetent and helpless if they can put one of them in that chair.
I am so, so sad and angry that I have to say this but yes, KSU is that incompetent and helpless. Kim Jaeyoul is Korean, yes, but as you can see with how he friggin' declined to hold a Korean GP when everything was set up for one (WHICH COULD'VE GOTTEN OUR SKATERS ONE MORE GP SPOT) he is not showing any competency regarding Korean figure skating.

I also thought that it would be in his best interest to help the Korean team grow just like what Lakernik did to his country. Afterall they want to leave a legacy, one of his could be reshaping Korean Figure Skating after Yuna retired or something like that.
See above on Kim Jaeyoul's approach to Korean figure skating as the new head of the ISU. He is not even helping our single skaters, he is definitely not going to help our potential pair skaters.

Before, Korea didnt have a good dance team, but you got atleast one now so I thought after Japan's Bronze in Beijing, the Korean Fed would be encouraged to support atleast one pair of team to atleast make it to the free for the team event.
I'm confused on which dance team you mean (Min/Eaton are currently inactive so I'm assuming Lim/Quan, who are gunning for Torino) but the team event has never been high on KSU's priority list. Kyueun and Alex/Kangchan came together for Pyeongchang's team event but the point was to participate as the host country, not to make it to the free skate. The thing is that you need to have some basic support structure if you want a team to have results, and since we have zero infrastructure regarding pair skating here there aren't any expectations for a pairs team to be successful in the first place (nor is it possible with this level of funding). And if you don't expect to have a team that produces good results you don't expect to qualify for the team event. Also it's not like we can compare our skating field with Japan's, while not at the scale of say Russia Japan does have a stable infrastructure and a pretty sizable skating population. For instance, there are *three* senior ID teams in Japan (and there used to be more before splits). We currently have one inactive senior team. So no, you cannot compare JSF and KSU. KSU sure doesn't.

Besides, The other side of the pair doesnt need to be the current crop of Korean men anyway, it could be from other country and trained mostly abroad just like Eaton/Min.
Like, have you actually seen the size of our men's field? We had 10 senior men and 3 junior men at last Nats. We barely have enough men for singles, let alone pairs. And speaking of foreign skaters, male pair skaters are a rare commodity, why would they team up with an inexperienced, unfunded Korean skater? It's not like KSU is going to treat them well. And as for an actual example of what happens when a Korean skater teams up with a foreign one, just look at Kyueun's case. That (bleep) Maxime Deschamps broke up the partnership to try out with a 'better' partner and Kyueun retired from the shock. And Kyueun was actually experienced, unlike what you're suggesting. And lord to train overseas you need funding, which the KSU isn't interested in providing. Yura started a crowdfund to continue her journey to Beijing (which ended up not happening, but I digress), it should show you the level of funding she had. And Yura actually made it to the FD in Pyeongchang, while a new pairs team would be trying for tech minimums, not the free skate. Guess how much funding they're going to get.

It was just dissapointing that with so many talents on hand, we wouldnt able to see it internationally.
Like, I would love to have representation in pairs. I'd love to see skaters who wouldn't be able to make it in singles achieve success in another discipline. But for that we need infrastructure and funding, which KSU both doesn't have available and frankly isn't interested in the first place. Then isn't it the right thing to support the skaters on their domestic journey and not pin unachievable hopes on them?

I mean, if I were Chinese Official, I would try to poach few of them incase Nini would not survive puberty .
I have no idea why you mentioned this because the skaters that you were talking about in the first place (the skaters without all the triples) wouldn't be of interest to the Chinese fed anyway. They have no need to poach a single skater without all their triples, and although I have no idea what's going on with their pairs development program I don't think the Chinese fed need foreign skaters to run it.

Like... I get that you're coming from a place of love. But to be frank, you sound like a well-meaning clueless older family member. Well-meaning, but clueless. And I'm very tired of people just assuming that every country's figure skating is run like as in Russia or the US. I repeat, we do not have the infrastructure nor the funding. And KSU is incompetent and lazy as (bleep). And I am so unhappy to have to repeat this fact over and over. I am sorry for being a little (bleep) on twitter, but I am human and have been repeating this same line for years now. I'm not expecting you to understand my frustration, nor do you have an obligation to, but I hope you can see why I got annoyed.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
GP assignments are out:

I am so happy that Eunsoo got a GP. There are so many amazing girls from South Korea, but she is still by far my favorite.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Get better soon, @Ichatdelune ! 🌸

Okay, so I am going through covid among other things so I'm probably being unfair to you, but I am tired of people not knowing how things go in Korean figure skating. I'm going to do my best to explain everything I can in one post so that hapless people don't get to be topics of my annoyed tweets.

fehervari

On the Ice
jgp selection on the air

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
JGP and Universiade selections, day 1:

- Universiade women's SP results: 1. Kim Yelim 56.37 2. Choi Dabin 51.39 3. Lee Siwon 47.21
- Universiade men's SP results: 1. Lee Sihyeong 79.31 2. Cha Younghyun 70.76 3. Kyeong Jaesoek 65.34 4. Kim Hangil 52.32 5. Jeong Deokhoon 50.56
- JGP men's SP results: 1. Lee Jaekeun 69.33 2. Cha Younghyun 68.29 3. Seo Minkyu 60.93 4. Kim Hyungyeom 60.51
- JGP women's SP results: 1. Kim Chaeyeon 66.08 2. Shin Jia 64.92 3. Kwon Minsol 60.94 4. Han Heesue 56.98 5. Song Siwoo 54.90 6. Hwang Jihyun 53.40 7. Park Eunbi 52.15 8. Kim Yujae 49.05 9. Kim Minchae 48.19 10. Kang Eunsoo 47.69 11. Youn Seojin 45.15 12. Kim Seoyoung 43.41 13. Yook Jeongmin 42.39 14. Sohn Daon 41.67 15. Hong Seungah 38.92 16. Jung Yean 36.19
- JGP ice dance RD results: 1. Lim/Quan 64.51 2. Kim/Lee 49.76 3. Son/Choi 47.85

Protocols

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@Ichatdelune Im really looking forward to Shin Jia; I thought she deserved to win Junior Worlds.
Something tells me to watch out for Kim Chaeyeon this year. Her 3Lz is amazing

As for the Senior Girls, Kaori will be tough to beat in the international circuit. But, if Young nails her 3A and Haein learns the 3A, I can see South Korea battling for the podium with Japan this year.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kim Yelim didn’t look good, at all. I don’t like her free skate program.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m nervous for Kim Minchae. I hope she skates well enough to qualify to the Junior Circuit 🙏🏽

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Universiade team:

Women : Kim Yelim, Choi Dabin, Lee Siwon
Men: Lee Sihyeong, Cha Younghyun, Kyeong Jaeseok
Do you have their scores?

I’m watching Juniors right now, but, can’t understand Korean and I don’t know who is leading. I think Kim Minchae skated well enough to place in the top 5. Han is my favourite program so far. Now, time for top 3.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I liked Kwon Minsol. Best free skate, so far and I enjoyed her cat program the most. So unique.

Reactions: ava