2023 World Figure Skating Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Rhythm Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personal preference as to who calms them down the most or who needs who at the boards. The teams work this stuff out in advance. I wouldn't read to much into it.
i am just being a brat. I actually thought only MF traveled this time as they usually don't travel together during the year... perhaps they do for worlds...:)

zebobes

Final Flight
I did think that Piper and Paul's Pattern Style Step was a little weak, I was captivated during the beginning and end, but my mind started wandering during the middle, so I'm not surprised that was their weakest element.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yay Madi and Evan! 😍 They were awesome!

Really well skated event! My other faves tonight were Fear and Gibson and the Taschlers. (Not necessarily my usual faves either.) I felt those three skated all out. Hoping for a well skated free skate by all teams tomorrow!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Urgh. Should have gone to sleep right after Guignard and Fabbri, then at least I'd harbour happy delusions about ice dance judging for a few more hours...

Also, probably a minority opinion but I like their RD artistically as well as technically.

Another maybe unpopular opinion, I am looking forward to YGA (Zanni) teams duking it out with IAM in the near future. The Egna dancers all seem to have this steamroller-like driving edge quality. I get the sense that if forced to prioritise between skating skills and crowd-pleasing performances they'll go for the former (which obviously vibes with me, being a G/F fan).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I really need to sleep.. so last post :)

What I personally find upsetting is that both Canadian teams are overcoming injuries (appendectomy for Piper and a tear in Laurence's knee ligament) and I was expecting them to be shaky or tight... yet, they both delivered brilliant performances... to be dropped anyways...

Aklaus

Rinkside
What a humilation for Gilles and Pourier, I am very sad.
Nearly 5 points behind, I can not tunderstand this big difference.
I am sure they will get the silver tomorrow, but what a disappintment with 10 points behind Chock and Bate at the very end likely.
Its politics as it always was. Shame on the system.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If you mean Canadian skaters must be in tears, I doubt it... They know that they can only control what they put on on the ice.. and they were both stellar tonight.

If you mean Canadian fans must be in tears... I can only speak for myself... I am not crying over judging :) i will vent and let the negative thoughts out... but will be fine in 10 minutes... Yes... Canadian skaters are often dropped... In what world Fear and Gibson are almost stronger than Piper and Paul and beating Laurence and Nikolaj? Only in the world of ice dance judges. I actually believe that some of the penultimate group are stronger than Lilah and Lewis. As for the Italians, they did what they do best very well. GIve them points if you wish... but it was bland like always. Madison and Evan started with slightly off twizzles yet, I wouldn't be surprised they got the highest GOEs for that element... already, I was done hoping for a title for Piper and Paul... It was obvious their score was going the get huge... when the steps came out at level 4... HA !!!! Okay..... fine... going to bed :) see.. I am done venting :) I am already better :)

:slink:
SO it wasn't my imagination about the twizzels for C and B. I just think canadian or not Piper and Paul and Laurence and Nicoli were robbed. Okay Maybe the open shirt was a bit much but still.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’d be surprised to see that, as G/F’s FD is excellent. JMHO, of course.

But I could see F-B/S moving into fourth, which would be an outstanding result for them.
we will see tomorrow... I do believe Piper and Paul have the better FD...

If you look at protocols, Piper and Paul are less than a point off the Italians, however they are very behind in base value on the RD. I believe that gap won't be as big with the many CHOREO elements with similar BV for all teams.... in terms of the GOE, they did very well despite the low BV... and they did better than the Italians in PCS... So, if they do skate well and keep their levels close enough, with the CHOREO elements and PCS factored X2, it's not impossible.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have loved this RD for Chock & Bates all season because for once Madi & Evan are being themselves and not some characters. It is honest in the same way that LoLo & Nik are themselves in their RD. I could see C/B on vacation after worlds last year dancing somewhere to this music on the floor and deciding to take it to the ice. The team that Igor warned would always have judging issues due to their height difference on matching lines and who decided to take their chances anyway. They have built their strengths of lifts and spins. Madi has worked hard on her technical skills and has steadily improved since coming to Montreal. Evan and Madi have worked hard to compromise and match their lines as best as they can. They have maximized what they can do best. They were lovely, musical and fun and relatable for the average audience member.

I am frustrated by all the teeth gnashing, this team of all the others has worked and waited the longest for this chance. I had hoped for some acknowledgement that perhaps today they did what they do the best and came out on top. The event is not over yet and the final results are not in. CIf they win or not can we at least admit that they are very worthy competitors or is that too much for some of you. Lets not pretend that they are terrible dancers who because it is simply unfair to them, their coaches and the judges. Are we really gonna bash them even if they win and move into the sunset without giving them any credit.

CATUTION: The following may be unpopular with some of you,but I am being honest here. I have very mixed feelings as I will miss their style and creativity very much when they move on, but might get an extra year if they try again in Canada. I think it is unlikely they would win in Canada hence their all out effort here. They began their career in Saitama it seems circular and right for it to conclude here. How cool would it be for Canada to potentially win at home in Canada as the Japanese pair team did?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
He is quite impartial. He just sees little things, the postures, the deep of the knees and he knows the demands of difficulty levels. Like he said Finn's steps level is their weakness.
What did he say about the Brits out of interest?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C and B looked to be the overwhelming faves at the start of the year. I agree they worked hard even though the judges held them up often. It just seems unfair when ie the Danadians who upset them really shouldn't be that far behind. Chock is a great diva but not as good as divas of the past.
I agree, I thought FB/S were judged too low and F/G too high.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It is a popularity contest more than anything else. Who's the prettiest woman by standard standards, who has the showiest dress, the most spectacular lifts etc.
I think it's not even politics as much as a question of taste and preference of the judges and the audience. Very difficult to justify this as a serious sport to an outsider, which is extremely sad because it is such a difficult, interesting sport and the discipline where actual skating ability should be rewarded the most. But the judging makes it a show competition with completely subjective scoring. It goes for an audience that is more into show than into sports.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It is a popularity contest more than anything else. Who's the prettiest woman by standard standards, who has the showiest dress, the most spectacular lifts etc.
I think it's not even politics as much as a question of taste and preference of the judges and the audience. Very difficult to justify this as a serious sport to an outsider, which is extremely sad because it is such a difficult, interesting sport and the discipline where actual skating ability should be rewarded the most. But the judging makes it a show competition with completely subjective scoring. It goes for an audience that is more into show than into sports.

And I'm saying that as someone who likes Fear/Gibson, but they are not a top team in terms of skating. And Madison Chock's skating shouldn't get her into a medal position.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really need to sleep.. so last post :)

What I personally find upsetting is that both Canadian teams are overcoming injuries (appendectomy for Piper and a tear in Laurence's knee ligament) and I was expecting them to be shaky or tight... yet, they both delivered brilliant performances... to be dropped anyways...
It is very unfortunate for them both to have injuries. I really don't feel that skating wise they appeared to have suffered. It seems to have mattered in the court of public opinion.