2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not going to be all doom and gloom either for the USA missing three spots. If, as some here believe, the junior ranks are lacking, and there are few American skaters to rival or pressure Isabeau Levito, then the US isn't missing that third slot.

On the other hand, there has always been a lull in American ladies, and somehow I think just having two spots at next year's world might make some of our female skaters more comptetive and determined to improve.

And all these predictions I take with several grains of salt. Remember last season a few posters were convinced American men would lose that third entry at worlds. We didn't. Hope is usually better than always looking at things like a glass half empty. The glass is half full with room to grow.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going to be all doom and gloom either for the USA missing three spots. If, as some here believe, the junior ranks are lacking, and there are few American skaters to rival or pressure Isabeau Levito, then the US isn't missing that third slot.

On the other hand, there has always been a lull in American ladies, and somehow I think just having two spots at next year's world might make some of our female skaters more comptetive and determined to improve.

And all these predictions I take with several grains of salt. Remember last season a few posters were convinced American men would lose that third entry at worlds. We didn't. Hope is usually better than always looking at things like a glass half empty. The glass is half full with room to grow.
These things run in cycles.

I agree it's not the end of the world. American ladies just need to get better and have more consistent and stronger results, but didn't we really know that already?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was thinking today about how so many American women over the years have finished in 4th at Worlds including the last three Worlds now. In the last 11 World Championships American women have finished 4th seven times! Two of those times another American medaled (Alysa Liu and Ashley Wagner). The dreaded fourth places were.... Isabeau this year, Mariah Bell last year, Karen Chen in 2021 and in 2017, Gracie Gold in 2016 and 2015, and Ashley Wagner in 2013. It's such a tough spot to finish.

Too bad there are no pewter medals internationally! haha. That makes me laugh at this gymnastics meet (The Winter Cup) where there are 8 gymnasts getting medals.... https://www.insidegymnastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/81-AA-Awards-LS8_4752-scaled.jpg

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hopefully Starr is one of them. I feel she deserves it the most as the other three got both 4CC and Worlds.
I think WTT is by some sort of invitation so, I’m not sure if USFS can just choose to send Starr, but I agree it would be nice if she got the chance.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US really missed Alysa Lui this year her and Isabeau would have made a fierce duo at Worlds and i guarantee they would never have have lost a spot with Lui. Say what you want about her skating but she was a great competitor just like Isabeau and never gave into pressure. Her scores from the Olympics and Worlds last year would have put her in either 4th or 3rd place this year.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
These things run in cycles.

I agree it's not the end of the world. American ladies just need to get better and have more consistent and stronger results, but didn't we really know that already?
Getting better is easier said than done. I don't know why consistent triple triple combinations is such a problem for the USA these days, but it must be the coaching and I don't see how the coaching situation for women can change. I think it's both an issue of skill and psychology.

readernick

Medalist
Isabeau and Amber performed as they were expected to except for Isabeau's fall in the FS and the missing combo which lost her a medal. Given Amber's track record under pressure, she did fine. Both of them, also, have no trouble hitting their triple triple combos. So, that's not the issue. Amber always struggles to get in other non triple triple combos. I'm pretty sure that's mental, not physical but that makes it harder to fix

It's Bradie's placement that lost the spot. But, let's be realistic coming back from injury is incredibly hard physically and mentally. Her practices are going great. But, she obviously needs to adjust mentally to competing again. She also probably needs more stamina. She's human. Compare this performance to her first GP of the year. This was still a lot better, if she continues on this course, she'll be wonderful next year.

2 spots next year is hardly a disaster. It will motivate the women and, perhaps, they will be stronger next year.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US really missed Alysa Lui this year her and Isabeau would have made a fierce duo at Worlds and i guarantee they would never have have lost a spot with Lui. Say what you want about her skating but she was a great competitor just like Isabeau and never gave into pressure. Her scores from the Olympics and Worlds last year would have put her in either 4th or 3rd place this year.
Yes it’s extremely unfortunate that after Alysa won her first National championship the media, USFS, and fans anointed her as Americas next best hope. Same with Isabeau and all the ladies who come after Isabeau.

And OMG….I never say this …but SHUT UP Terry…who has her on the Olympic Team…next Tara will be pre awarding her the OGM…

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes it’s extremely unfortunate that after Alysa won her first National championship the media, USFS, and fans anointed her as Americas next best hope. Same with Isabeau and all the ladies who come after Isabeau.
Holy cat box contents.

When you mentioned Alyssa, I started remembering how young Michelle Kwan was when she made her senior US Nats debut. Had to Google to make sure...and yup, she was only 13, and placed 6th. (She passed her senior level test at age 12 against Frank Carroll's advice; a competitor even then!). Then, in 1994, after Nancy Kerrigan and Nicole Bobek both dropped out of eligible competition, she went to Worlds still at 13 (her birthday is July 7).

So here's the thing: as the only US ladies' entry in 1994 Worlds, Michelle ended up being solely responsible for getting 2 women's spots for 1995 IF she could make the top 10. She finished 8th overall and the rest, as they say, is history. How she managed to stay sane under all that pressure while so young -- and then throughout her long career -- is beyond me. :bow::bow::bow:

We ask SO very much of our young skaters. Let's dial back the expectations and step up the love, support, and gratitude. ❤️

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Getting better is easier said than done. I don't know why consistent triple triple combinations is such a problem for the USA these days, but it must be the coaching and I don't see how the coaching situation for women can change. I think it's both an issue of skill and psychology.
There are many coaches. Bradie switched coaches and it seems to have been a good move. There is one coach that coaches a lot of US ladies who seem to have jump issues and I wish some would move from that coach. But I’m not paying for their training so..

I just watched all the US ladies performances (and Bravo Amber for the sleeveless dress) . They all landed triple triple in the short. I was surprised to see Bradie struggling in the long - she’s usually icy.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Holy cat box contents.

When you mentioned Alyssa, I started remembering how young Michelle Kwan was when she made her senior US Nats debut. Had to Google to make sure...and yup, she was only 13, and placed 6th. (She passed her senior level test at age 12 against Frank Carroll's advice; a competitor even then!). Then, in 1994, after Nancy Kerrigan and Nicole Bobek both dropped out of eligible competition, she went to Worlds still at 13 (her birthday is July 7).

So here's the thing: as the only US ladies' entry in 1994 Worlds, Michelle ended up being solely responsible for getting 2 women's spots for 1995 IF she could make the top 10. She finished 8th overall and the rest, as they say, is history. How she managed to stay sane under all that pressure while so young -- and then throughout her long career -- is beyond me. :bow::bow::bow:

We ask SO very much of our young skaters. Let's dial back the expectations and step up the love, support, and gratitude. ❤️
I do think things were different then. A lot different. No one was looking for “the next Michelle Kwan” to begin with. There was no social media, only regular media. Since she placed 6 at US Nationals I doubt there were the same expectations on her as a Gracie or an Alyssa or an Isabeau or one of the many ladies skaters who came after her and were going to be “the next Michelle Kwan.”

It’s even MORE pressure because the ladies are still the most popular. I have no idea why - we have had world champions and medalists in every other discipline in the very recent past.

I try not to have expectations. Sometimes I fail. But the athletes typically don’t know what they are so they won’t be affected. And I only send love over SM - no hate.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do think things were different then. A lot different. No one was looking for “the next Michelle Kwan” to begin with. There was no social media, only regular media. Since she placed 6 at US Nationals I doubt there were the same expectations on her as a Gracie or an Alyssa or an Isabeau or one of the many ladies skaters who came after her and were going to be “the next Michelle Kwan.”

It’s even MORE pressure because the ladies are still the most popular. I have no idea why - we have had world champions and medalists in every other discipline in the very recent past.

The public want what the public want, and part of it probably is because the last mediagenic US superstar was Kwan. The recent champions in other disciplines just don't have 'it' the way Kwan - and to an extent Sasha Cohen? - did. Of course, there's no proof that Liu did or Levito does either but until the US gets a proper WC/OGM womens champion and we find out, it would seem that no one is going to convince TPTB and the media that they just have to get a girl, a single girl, any girl who can win and she will bring them what Kwan did. It's ridiculous and unfair, it's business, it's modern sport.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There are many coaches. Bradie switched coaches and it seems to have been a good move. There is one coach that coaches a lot of US ladies who seem to have jump issues and I wish some would move from that coach. But I’m not paying for their training so..

I just watched all the US ladies performances (and Bravo Amber for the sleeveless dress) . They all landed triple triple in the short. I was surprised to see Bradie struggling in the long - she’s usually icy.
Yeah, I think it's more mental than anything at this point, but I'm worried about the state of the juniors after watching the junior world championships. I don't have the answers because I'm betting the talent pool (less girls go into figure skating than they did in the past, but I don't have the numbers in front of me) and money are issues.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The public want what the public want, and part of it probably is because the last mediagenic US superstar was Kwan. The recent champions in other disciplines just don't have 'it' the way Kwan - and to an extent Sasha Cohen? - did. Of course, there's no proof that Liu did or Levito does either but until the US gets a proper WC/OGM womens champion and we find out, it would seem that no one is going to convince TPTB and the media that they just have to get a girl, a single girl, any girl who can win and she will bring them what Kwan did. It's ridiculous and unfair, it's business, it's modern sport.
I think NC oozes charisma.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think NC oozes charisma.
Which is fair enough (my second-favourite skater does in my eyes, even if her own country can't seem to see it and make her a goddamn superstar). But neither you nor I - nor, it seems,TPTB - get to decide that for sports fans, let alone where the mildly interested in skating/general TV/stream watching public, see the elusive 'it'.

And maybe even Kwan couldn't make a change now, with the way entertainment is so different, fractured and with endless other choices these days, which makes it extra tough on girls like Liu or Levito, especially when there's only one of them at a time. Tutberidze's kids had their pressures too, but at least there were more than one or two of them at a time in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.