A General Question on the Order of Skate | Golden Skate

A General Question on the Order of Skate

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
In the OD, depending on the entries, they are grouped by two warm-up groups. Example here would be that skaters 1-10 will skate anywhere in the final two warm-ups, and 11-20 anywhere in warm-ups three and four. For the free dance and singles/pairs long programs, groups are drawn by the amount of skaters in the finals. For the ladies and men here, it will be 6 skaters each, so skaters 1-6 end up in the final group, 7-12 in the previous, etc. There is a maximum of 5 dance couples and 4 pairs per warm-up group, so the same method follows for them.

Thank you for the explanations. So Germany and UK in the OD pushed aside Russia and Canada for group 6, and that could change again for the FD.

I see no point in that but I can live with it. Now how does it figure that the USA skates 1st in the last Group and Russia skates last? I presume the Teams do individual draws. Hopefully, not the officials.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Thank you for the explanations. So Germany and UK in the OD pushed aside Russia and Canada for group 6, and that could change again for the FD.

I see no point in that but I can live with it. Now how does it figure that the USA skates 1st in the last Group and Russia skates last? I presume the Teams do individual draws. Hopefully, not the officials.

The draws are random within each group. I have been at a draw and basically if you have 6 skaters in the group they will put tokens in a bag numbered 1-6 and each team selects based on their current placement (typically lowest picks first). If the team is not present at the draw then one of the officials will make the selection for them.