2014 Olympics Team Event Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Free Dance

I liked Elena's costume the best, feather or no feather. :)

Tracy Wilson said about Davis and White's performance that the first half was sort of routine, but they cranked it up in the second half as the music rose up to meet them. I agree. Too much rising and falling arms at the beginning, IMHO.

To me, Virtue and Moir's long dance does not have any particular theme or coherence.

(It seeks no meaning to convey, it has no purpose, point, or plot.
It must mean something you will say, but I assure you it does not.) ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it is obvious for whatever reason - legit or not D and W are oly gold medallists. I still note one thing that bothers me is that V and M as much as I dislike Scott's big amouth their quality of skating, lines don't seem to give them the pcs that I think they deserve over D and w. Secondly, I would say D and W and V and M both have so so programs short and long but they do them well - D and W technically better right now but I am not in agreement by that much. So gold is gone to D and W ; silver to V and M now who is the bronze - Italy looks like they have fallen behind. P and B are solid. will the judges reward B and S enough with the old free dance? Can I and K or W and P pull an upset medal.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
lines don't seem to give them the pcs that I think they deserve over D and w.

they were about two points behind d/w on pcs, which is a little harsh i guess, but some of those lifts from v/m were a damn mess, so it's mostly justified in my eyes

v/m lost it on their levels which is where they've been losing all season

7 points is still ridiculous though

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if I and K will get anew dress and fast or a good glue gun???? You can't give away points like that. I honestly can't see why D and W are scoring so much more than eveyrone elase and to be blunt most of us agree that the programs of the top teams are not memorable stuff. I liked D and W first but now like V and M better though they need their levels.

Kinga

Medalist
To me, Virtue and Moir's long dance does not have any particular theme or coherence.
I feel the same. Each time they perform it, it seems to 'convey' something else. Each time, I'm almost bored, to be honest. Even the numerous dress changes (with each dress being completely different than the previous one) proves to me that they do not have a clue themselves how to present this program and what it is really about. JMO.

Sorry. They didn't lost really. One judge just gaved them +3 for first lift. For of them gave +2 too. I must be blind :rolleye: OK last lift didn't really count but Tessa almost fell on Scott in there. Still got almost same GOE as Davis/White.:eek:

Virtue/Moir barely managed to execute that first lift. It was off-balance from the start and they laboured through it. The GOE they got for that element was just :rolleye:.

Everything else seemed well executed.

But I felt that while Davis/White went all out and really attacked their program, Virtue/Moir's performance was again subdued like they didn't believe they could win this anyway so why even bother.

Johnny Weir said it was because a feather fell off her costume!?! :rolleye: Apparently in ice dance the judges are quite strict about such things. :scratch:

A part of your costume falling off = -1.00 deduction. Not just in Ice Dance but also in Singles & Pairs.

I think that both V/M's and D/W's choreography is Zoueva's usual 'my teams are the best and they have fast twizzles so why bother.'

With D/W, whilst it's quite simple, at least I can see what they're going at and the strong rhythm and tempo play to their strengths. But with V/M, between the different pieces of music, their movement and the costumes, I'm just totally confused.

samson

Medalist
It's been interesting to read this thread, and even more interesting to be watching figure skating with people that don't follow skating and just see what they see at face value.

The feeling seems to be (and I have to say this has been my impression so far at the Olympics) that Tessa and Scott have a stronger SD but unfortunately a confused FD. In terms of personality and selling something Meryl and Charlie had the night far and away. It's rare that I can get my friends to watch skating but when they see skating and start screaming and jumping up and down when Meryl and Charlie hit the twizzles and every lift you know it's great. When people who don't watch skating start freaking out during the final step sequence you know you have something unreal.

For me Shez is a transcendent piece and they skate it in an unreal way. I find Scott and Tessa to be forcing the emotion and connection in the FD but are dreamy in the SD. I wish Meryl and Charlie would get a little more swept away in the SD but have this drama and passion that's unreal in the FD. They are truly acting. Her face and the way they look at each other offers this quality that's both high drama and somehow offers and authenticity that works.

For me, D/W's free dance is not only technically compelling, but also sexy and sultry. The story is clear and so are their intentions. They display a finesse with musicality that is in a class of its own (except when Patrick is in his element). To me, they're as good and dramatic as any ice dance team of yesteryear. Frankly better than many because they display a certain level of authenticity and ease to their portrayals that doesn't happen in a lot in skating.

I feel like Tessa and Scott have the ability to skate at that level too, but in the team event it didn't happen. Their first lift had a hiccup going into it, and the execution looked rushed and timid. Scott also needs to cool it with his eyebrows and Tessa needs to watch her Oda face. If they just relaxed their faces and bodies and let the emotion they feel filter through their eyes, their bodies natural communicative skills as dancers would translate perfectly and the faces would be magical and authentic. I commend them for what they're trying to do. It's a very sophisticated concept but it keeps feeling like they're changing and reinventing moments, rather than reinvesting in their ideas and allowing themselves to go deeper into their concepts.

Growth IS obvious in the way Tessa and Scott skate. Their Non Touch Step Sequences are the best in the world. That was not so clear to me in 2010. They also seem to have capitalized on their lines and the smooth easy glide of their skating. They certainly have pushed their lifts to new places. But so have Meryl and Charlie. Both teams look taller. Their bodies communicate better to each other than they did in 2010. I do think that Meryl and Charlie have improved their strengths just that much farther. The drama with how they skate, they way they float on the ice like they are on clouds, the vast improvement in their lines.

I think the results tonight were pretty accurate.

The problem with Virtue/Moir's SD is lack of Finnstep character. It would be good if it was an FD but Finnstep is supposed to be light, bouncy, joyful and effervescent. V/M's SD is soft and gentle.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As for Russians, they were not very good and their marks are ridiculous.
Finally, of course that the Russians would cheer for their own pair. And they would cheer regardless of whether that pair is good or not. They are not............. Canadians.:rolleye:

hypocrite much ?

Worlds 2013 anyone, the Canadians were the worst :rolleye:
booing and cheering for Chan who won a fraud gold landing on his butt

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So it came down to 1. who hit their levels and 2. how well they were executed (in that order of importance) again. Just like it has for the last four years.

Tessa's costume is gorgeous but I swear I thought Scott was wearing a track suit when I first saw it.

The Reeds seem to have lost so much of their speed and attack over the last four years (loved her costume too). With all the competition for singles skaters in Japan, I'm surprised that an enterprising young Japanese couple doesn't say, Well there's far less competition for spots in pairs and dance, so let's pursue that. Just sayin'...

Is it just me or is I/K's Swan Lake in some ways a retread of their Don Quixote program?

I have the same issue with all five of the dances: well skated, but not particularly inspired programs. YMMV of course.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
hypocrite much ?

Worlds 2013 anyone, the Canadians were the worst :rolleye:
booing and cheering for Chan who won a fraud gold landing on his butt

uh...dear sky_fly20 better focus on making a recipe for cook better PCS for your Hollywood homecoming queen next time...:yes:

as for cheering or not cheering - for team event and without some individual serious and popular contenders it was sure that Russian audience is going to cheer loudly only for their team. I felt that most of teams were kind of "apprieciated" and for individuals, yes Russians will cheer for their skaters regardless of how they would skate, that's how it works here. And to add - the gold team event medal in figure skating was the first gold for Russia at Olys.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No they should have not have placed second. I thought the placements were on the money.

It will be interesting to see if I/K can come up with a successful FD program that does not involve a tutu (I'm only half-kidding...).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No they should have not have placed second. I thought the placements were on the money.

It will be interesting to see if I/K can come up with a successful FD program that does not involve a tutu (I'm only half-kidding...).

they are better with balletic programs and tutu dress because Elena has gorgeous lines
while compared to say Bobrova who has an ugly posture

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
they are better with balletic programs and tutu dress because Elena has gorgeous lines
while compared to say Bobrova who has an ugly posture

This is true, but give her some credit: Bobrova has improved her posture considerably in the last 2 years. She's not quite the crone she used to be.

Voir have gorgeous lines and it hasn't stopped them from doing Latin programs, modern dance, tango and Spanish dancing. I just hope we're not in for a four year cycle of "Dances Set To The Most Famous Ballets" from I/K.

ETA: Just read Scott Moir's remarks from the post-event press conference where he admitted "We got smoked" by Marlie and ""Not even close ... It was a good skate, but the levels weren't where they needed to be." Let's hope that puts a lid on any conspiracy theories. Though I doubt it.

dress

On the Ice
Weren't D/W overscored?? It was far from their best performance of the season and they broke their season's best. To me, they seemed slower than usual and they lacked glide. Their twizzles were not perfect. They did not show very deep edges. I have the impression that they jump instead of using their knees to generate speed. I say it even if it's a couple I enjoy watching. I just didn't like yesterday's performance.

V/M didn't skate at their best either. At least they seem to have correct the issue with the twizzles. I can understand why the judges place them behind D/W, but I find the gap between the scores ridiculously big.

In the end, I just hope both teams will perform at their best in the individual event because I really enjoy watching them when they are at their best, and it is the last olympic for these teams.Also, I prefer competition when it can go either way because it is more exciting It's one of our last occasion to see these 2 excellent couples competing. I will miss them when they will retire. With their talent and rivalry they bring the sport to a new level.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I suppose gmyers still thinks I/K would have been better off staying at home. Must infuriate him that they're now Olympic gold medalists.

D/W easily should have won the FS. But suggesting I/K deserved to beat V/M is laughable at best. Although you just KNOW the Russians will be pushing for B/S and I/K to even get silver. I feel really bad for P/B and W/P, as even with greater difficulty or consistency or edge work, there's no point.

And obviously B/S are coming 3rd. If I/K get 103, look for B/S to get 107 or 108, even higher than V/M.

elif

Medalist
I see some transitions attempt for Virtue/Moir. Good. Entrance and exit of first one is still like a junior program but they changed entrance of last step sequence. I think they lost a level because of this change.

sisinka

Medalist
Is it just me or is I/K's Swan Lake in some ways a retread of their Don Quixote program?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecWgqEZfkow Don Quijote 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzuwoNa5-k Swan Lake

When I heard for the first time that Morozov created Swan Lake program, my first note was that it would be Don Quijte number 2. Than I forgot to think about it. With your comment I went to watch that performance and yes, Morozov really copied some moments from Don Quijote…which is not a very original and definitely it is not very nice to Zhulin who created Don Quijote choreography.

It only starts with tutu…but this year it is more long to hide Lena’s thighs and backside (unfortunately you really need to be too slim to wear such dress, probably only Cappellini and Pechalat could wear tutu without any fear)…
…the first pose…Lena and Nikita stands far to each other (but position of hands are different), in Don Quijote the couple is hypnotizing the judges with their eyes, in Swan Lake only Lena is hypnotizing judges, while Nikita is watching her…
…in both dances they are both waving to each other with their arms in first seconds of the dance…
jucz20.jpg
x
10xhhqw.png

...in Don Quijote there are two moments when Lena lays on Nikita’s leg or almost on Nikita’s leg – very similar to Swan Lake slow part just before the spin..
96jdl3.jpg
x
i6du8l.png
54yems.png

…there is a very similar movement made by Lena with crossed legs and with looking at judges – in Don Quijote after a lift, in Swan Lake at the beginning…
zjiems.jpg
x
k9ga5u.png

…the same kind of spin with Lena’s free leg is up…
…both dances were created in the same style…the Diva Lena and her nice Nikita who is charmed with girl’s beauty…
…both programs have some moments when Lena keeps her pose (on one leg or two legs)…really nothing happens too quickly…
…both dances had many ballet-like movements…

If you will watch these two performances…you will also notice what is different…in 2011 the choreography was more difficult (but not so difficult like top couples that year)…Lena had great posture and hours spent with a ballet coach Vlasova were very visible…the couple had also deeper edges in 2011…they were faster…their twizzles travelled more across the ice…and their choreography was much more concentrated to all details (especially this seasons they are much more wild and not finishing movements and Lena’s gloves only make it more visible). In 2011 they had a majesty while performing Don Quijote, this season with their postures with heads forward, it looks like they saw a ballet class three years ago for the last time…and in 2011 there was a little posing and making faces on judges, this season it takes a half of programs. In 2011 they both had parts equivalent as to difficulty, last three seasons Lena has much more simple part than Nikita.

sisinka

Medalist

Lena and Nikita had a great ballet preparation in 2010/11, but they lost it. Their postures are far from a ballet postures. They have constantly their heads forward (you will never see a ballet dancer with a head like that). Nikita’s head is even more forward than Lena’s head. A ballet dancer has a beautiful and very gracefull line of back, neck and head, they use to put their head almost a backward a little bit.
Lena with not good position of hands and head (also the position of her legs are ugly):
20ti80p.jpg

A ballet dancer:
i3f03q.jpg

Lena:
2nr3p5z.jpg

2yn5u74.jpg

Ballerina:
29cxh6t.jpg
352rtxg.jpg

Lena and Nikita (not good Lena ‘s hands and both of them have heads forward):
5wkpdk.jpg

Ballerina:
2zo9h95.jpg

Lena:
2a4tptw.jpg

Ballerina:
ej9301.jpg

If you watch arm movements, ballet dancers are used to work with everything – shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers.
2a6jiw7.jpg
Lena was trying to use it in 2011, not this season. Her hand is in a very not balletic position with her thumb aside. And very often both Lena and Nikita have straight arm posititon, no elbow included, which is definitely not elegant. This is not in a ballet.
Wearing gloves it is obvious that Lena has almost a fist sometimes. A ballet dancers are dancing with a maximum tension to hands, legs, Lena is not able to extend her free leg and all her posture is more relaxed than stretched.

For everything I noticed above, compare free dance from European Championships or TEB (I didn’t find Olympic free dance) with 2010/11 free dance routine. Lena has much better ballet posture and hands there.

What I don’t understand is why Morozov took so many ballet movements when the couple themselves say that their Swan Lake is not a ballet and no swan included, it should be a dance of two strong characters, about love and fight. So why such choreography and swan costume? Morozov also noticed in the beginning of the season that he chose Swan Lake because he thinks that not everybody knows a Nutcracker by Tchaikovski (is there somebody who doesn’t know a Nutcracker???), but everybody knows Swan Lake. Why did he chose so well-known music with such well-known story in it, when they completely changed the story, but kept swan moves?