2016 Nebelhorn Free Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
after watching top 3 of FD my question of the day is how the heck Piper and Paul did not win this?! It gets me really depressed (again) about this whole 'reputation' and 'know your place in a row' policy in Ice Dance looking at FD scores...And it's just the beginning of he season, sigh...

Anna and Luca - I am sorry, but it is a SNOOZE - from generic, recycled choreography, not very original music composition/selection to so painfully predictable interpretation...They looked slow, labored in places, in my eyes tech was a bit too choppy to get such generous marks. Overall the program is not yet well geled and there would be probably alterations, change of costumes, but for me it's like last season once again with different music only - nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing challenging. Yes, I know so many people complained (including myself) about Danse Macabre and Marina, but is there really nothing else to try/choose for them? Just from the top of my head - musical stuff, maybe some Broadway medley - it would be something new, but still right up in their bubbly, pop-entertaining alley where they would still be charming themselves. It kills me to see such PCS marks for them comparing to Piper and Paul so sensual, fresh, sophisticated, intricate choreographically DANCE, not only a program...

Madison and Evan - I have to say this is quite a question mark for me. The idea/concept, the fresh feel of it is interesting, but I really don't see any connection between music, choreography and skaters right now. It's like music is playing and they are doing gym workout (including appropriate clothes), it's confusing. They really should re-think choreography, particularly second step sequence which is plain weird for me...Th whole program feels too rushed and mechanical (maybe due to all these awkward leg/arm extensions presented), there was no fluidity (or maybe that was the aim?). Evan is again totally bland, without any prsonality on ice while Madison is opposite, on the verge of overacting/too much dramatic in expression.

Finally Piper and Paul...I have to say - BIG KUDOS to Carol Lane and the team, you are keeping the discipline fresh and alive making such programs for such skaters! This FD is absolutely fabulous - from the very start to the end it creates an atmosphere, an aura, from the music, costumes, choreography and interpretation, it's a complete package. The music used - simple yet very dramatic, edgy, sensual piece to work with, choreography - a masterpiece for me: so intricate in transitions (which are in tango character/are a great transposition of tango moves), well paced with tension built until the end, with great tech elements placement. The opening spin, twizzles and second from last lift are AMAZING in particular - each of those elements perfectly emphasised music and had some feel of innovation which made them exciting to watch. Costuming is another big yes - simple but effective for the dance, highlighting sensual feel of the performance, not overpowering it. They really took a challenge in my opinion, because I did not see them doing some ballroom stuff and they proved me wrong - yet they used quite simple, understated tools (music, costumes, ballroom moves) to create a sensual, vivid tango fantasy which makes them even more great. We are probably used to exagerrated, over-the-top drama tangos and this is an opposite, because it builds on chemistry, senses, movement, looks, little touches and makes you not only to watch it, but also or mostly - to FEEL it. And the ending is simply gorgeous - a total unity of music, movement and skaters, so brilliantly translated to the grand final. So far my favorite and will definitely remain there

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Finally an FD from Chock/Bates that I love! Creative, full of personality, and there's lots of room to grow by getting better in speed, dynamism, etc.

Anna and Luca were a snoozefest. Cute concept, but boooooring.

Piper and Paul were solid. They've upped their game a lot.

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ Yes, I think Chock/Bates made a good decision to try and change-up their usual style and viewer expectations. They did need to rethink their approach, with the Shibs having won U.S. Nats last season, and other great U.S. ice dance competitors trying to make their mark.

I give P/B credit even though they were unheralded compared to the top 2 US Juniors last season they were the ones that had the guts to move up unlike the Parsons and M/C. Good for them. :thumbsup:

It probably had less to due with guts than with ageing out, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the U.S. fed has input into helping their skaters make these types of 'moving up' decisions.

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
^^
It probably had less to due with guts than with ageing out, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the U.S. fed has input into helping their skaters make these types of 'moving up' decisions.

I don't think Pogrebinsky/Benoit aged out of juniors. I think Ellie is eighteen and Alex won't turn twenty-one until October.

Dots

Final Flight
The judges need to stop sending mixed messages. This year's SD theme was introduced in order to force the top teams to create something innovative and fresh. So what happens when these teams do exactly that? They get slapped in the face by finishing behind generic and inferior dances. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but Anna is so wooden I'm surprised they can crack the 100 mark, let alone 108+ :shocked:

I'm sorry but this is pure political scoring by the judges.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I really loved Piper and Paul. They are my favourite pair, by far. In my mind they should have won this competition. But I think dance is even more corrupt than simple figure skating. C/B look like skating trough the music. I loved the Italians, but I don't think that today they were as sharp as G/P.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
To all the people who think Piper and Paul were robbed, look on the bright side. Last season, they won their Challenger event against Coomes/Buckland and the Shibutanis. Then you saw what happened at Worlds. Maybe this will keep the fire inside of them to regroup, really analyze how they can keep improving their score, and have better results. It worked for the Shibs. Anyway, G/P were really close to C/B scores wise, which is obviously a huge step for them. Small victories that keep building up will lead to gradual improvement which will then ultimately lead to success.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
All of Anna and Luca's costumes are starting to look the same...

Their everything looks the same. All of their dances, both SD and FD, since the past Olympic season just totally blend together in my mind. They've become the definition of Euro pudding. It's a shame since he is very well cast as Charlie Chaplin.

Gilles/Poirier were also not doing anything special or new here. A forgettable tango.

Chock/Bates program has a lot of potential but I think they could do with a better music edit and they need to get a bit more avant-garde with the movement. It's too safe right now.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It doesn't matter how progressive a dance is if the technical requirements are not met. I'm not a fan of Anna and Luca, but when they are well trained they can put their programs out there like it's nothing. It might be boring, I think it is most of the time, but they had the strongest TES in the the short and the free. Maybe the PCS could have played a part in making a difference with the other teams, but it didn't. And in the end if anyone wants to win, they have to come to compete with their tech straightened out - especially if they are not overlooked on it like some other pairs.

But this was the first competition of the season. There's time to get better and grow into the programs, because in the end they need to get their levels. Teams relying only on potential scoring have to settle for a fourth place at Nationals and no Worlds :slink:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Madison & Evan were the show stoppers both in the short and long... cannot wait to see them again in their next competition. Under Pressure is one of my sisters favorite songs but she is not a FS fan. When I told her some ice dancers had chosen the song for one of their performances this year, she said I just might watch that!! :drama: :laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Their everything looks the same. All of their dances, both SD and FD, since the past Olympic season just totally blend together in my mind. They've become the definition of Euro pudding. It's a shame since he is very well cast as Charlie Chaplin.

Gilles/Poirier were also not doing anything special or new here. A forgettable tango.

Chock/Bates program has a lot of potential but I think they could do with a better music edit and they need to get a bit more avant-garde with the movement. It's too safe right now.

It's like Christopher Dean, one of ID's best choreographer's in the history of the sport, has either lost his nerve or his cujones or both. Even we all agree that this is a total butchering of one of the great pop songs of the 80s (jeez, it has one of the most ruthlessly memorable riffs from that decade), this is a piece of music that positively cries out for what I'll call 'off-kilter choreography." It's just so bland on the whole. Holy Missed Opportunity Batman! On a positive note, the lifts are the best I've seen so far all season by more than a country mile. But really, Mr Dean should go back to the program and deliberately warp it, add more NERVE and GRIT and think body shapes, body shapes, body shapes. More, much more, QUIRK please!

Well a boy can dream right?

Astrid56

Final Flight
The music is obviously difficult to skate to as it is and with the lyrics, it is even more challenging. Kudos to Christopher Dean for being able to flesh out movements that subliminally convey the feelings … issues experienced by the characters. The background/other music added helps in the tellling and it is impressive how they have cleverly paired and intermixed two very different musical arrangements/ rhythms to work to enable the telling. Christopher is one masterful choreographer: his choreography is articulate _ a poetry … an essay in motion_ Evan described his style as ‘more nuanced’. He adds: "From a partnering perspective, his choreography requires really good, sensitive leading from the man".

Anyway, Madison says their free dance "is about love and the struggle of life, and sometimes how it tears people apart or pushes them together," Chock said. "Two people going through the pressure of life."

I love, love this program … and with more practice and exposure, I think they’ll go far, performance/medal-wise.

Artistically, I guess I see things differently: my dance, theatre, and fine arts background often lead me to weird interpretations/visions, :eeking:

bramweld

Record Breaker
We talk as though any of this really matters. Judges can't wrap their minds around fresh, innovative, unusual; as such Piper and Paul went back to safe. Frida was left at Nationals in Russia for a team that came in 11th. The Shibs to this day have not interpreted Coldplay, it never stopped the judges from giving them the silver. C/B will get even more comfortable with their elements, they'll hit their levels, wow the judges with the lifts because they are very impressive, its their trump card as a direct result of their glaring size difference and they know this. If they're lucky they'll podium we haven't seen a hefty bit of the top ten in competition yet. I get a feeling we're in for a very nail biting season. Bring it on!!

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Gilles/Poirier are such great skaters but my first impression of their free dance was one of slight disappointment. It doesn't suit them. They are so good at being different and innovative and it should be rewarded as such. Maybe they felt they were not being rewarded enough, therefore they decided to play safe. If so, it's a pity.